Polarpup-005 with Qt4-4.8.0 and Gstreamer libs inbuild

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#81 Post by pemasu »

First time when I have compiled Firefox. I packaged it using Playdayz great Firefox pet as template.
Anyway, this is compiled in Polarpup. Might be working.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/firefox-5.0b7.pet

jim3630

#82 Post by jim3630 »

Billtoo wrote:
pemasu wrote:Jim3630. In my experiments Billtoos compiled VLC (in Lucid 525) and my stripping of included Qt libs is not fully succesful. Watching movies works ok for me but subtitles loading didnt work. Important for me.

Conclusion. VLC package in first page is not fully functional. Luckily my compiled Smplayer and Umplayer works fine. Support for Tano will be lost with those but you cant get everything.
Well, anyone can try that vlc sfs and give error reports but I am now sure that it does not work fully.

About compiling VLC in Polarpup. I wish luck and determination if somebody wants to do it.
I will use Smplayer and Umplayer atm.
I compiled a new vlc-1.1.10-i686.pet and I enabled some more stuff, snapshot,and some codecs.I don't know if it supports the subtitles that you want and I have no way of testing because I don't have that type of avi file.

Compiling vlc in Polarpup is a nogo, the devx is about 30mb smaller than lucid 525, in my experience anyhow.

Billtoo, thanks for the new vlc. where can download?

jim3630

#83 Post by jim3630 »

Had Tano working somewhat, could get channel program names with schedule times. I'm convinced tano does not stream but records and you then can play back. It says is recording but then can't find the recorded file.

After changing gtk colors saved and started Tano it crashed. This is the first time got this error so here it is.

code:
# tano
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
libvlc-qt "0.4.0--git" initialised
Using libvlc version: "1.1.10 The Luggage"
libvlc loaded
libvlc Media: "udp://@232.4.5.1:5002"
EPG: Flag: "nvfgpcvota2x9lecemkdpa"
ASSERT failure in QList<T>::operator[]: "index out of range", file /opt/qt4/include/QtCore/qlist.h, line 403
Aborted

jim3630

#84 Post by jim3630 »

"News-0.5.0 - scrolling rss news ticker

Doesn't seem to work in JWM but does in openbox.

screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/D1ChV.jpg"

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=1770

tried in polar pup with Icewm and works so far.

jim3630

#85 Post by jim3630 »

new sm tested in polar pup and works so far and is fast.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=1755

Seamonkey 2.1 (no dbus) -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 1-i686.pet

Billtoo

#86 Post by Billtoo »

@pemasu

I wasn't able to get a working vlc pet compiled in polarpup but this link is to the one that I made in lucid525, it's big and I doubt that it will fix your subtitles problem but it has some extra codecs enabled and also snapshot which allows takes a screenshot of a running video (pretty nice)

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7cbfb49e.html

I'm taking a rest from trying to compile vlc in polarpup.

pemasu

#87 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Thank you hugely of your effort. You did your best and that is enough.
I did test your latest VLC. It worked again in my brief test. Subtitles...well...they still dont work, but I still suspect that main reason is the wrong location of Qt libs regarding of compile time location.
It misses after /usr/lib/libQtCore.so but played video at short test.
I stripped it and splitted it to main, dev, doc and nls packages and uploaded them to the ftp site under Pets_Gt4
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets_Qt4/

The main vlc-1.1.10-i686 is about 5 Mb.

The problems with subtitles. I dont know if this is part of problem:
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
(process:4289): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
But this is:
[0x830f074] subsdec decoder error: cannot convert from ISO-8859-10: No such file or directory
[0x810815c] signals interface error: signal 17 overriden (0xb6cc4130)
[0x810815c] signals interface error: /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4(?)[(nil)]
Warning: call to rand()
[0x82e56c4] main stream error: iconv_open failed
Aborted

pemasu

#88 Post by pemasu »

I think I solved how to get Qt applications to use present gtk theme. There wasnt need to install libgnomeui or gconf stuff. I had already enough of them installed. There is though need to feed one theme manually before the Qt applications starts to use gtk themes, like below command executed in console:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme Polished-Blue
In attached pet is the needed fix for /root/.xinitrc and pinstall.sh which executes above command.
So install the pet and restart X to be sure. Now you should have gtk themes applied to the QT applications also.
Attachments
Qt_apps_gtk_theme_fix-0.0.1.pet
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

jim3630

#89 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:I think I solved how to get Qt applications to use present gtk theme. There wasnt need to install libgnomeui or gconf stuff. I had already enough of them installed. There is though need to feed one theme manually before the Qt applications starts to use gtk themes, like below command executed in console:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme Polished-Blue
In attached pet is the needed fix for /root/.xinitrc and pinstall.sh which executes above command.
So install the pet and restart X to be sure. Now you should have gtk themes applied to the QT applications also.
Hey pemasu, works for me!
code:
# qtconfig
#

pemasu

#90 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Great news. I suppose you had gtk style selected in qtconfig or you tested the behavior after selecting gtk style.

pemasu

#91 Post by pemasu »

I retuned originally Sheepy`s posted GUI interface for xcompmgr. It creates menu entry to the Desktop section.

Xcompmgr is already installed in Polarpup.
Attachments
gcompmgr-0.21.pet
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

jim3630

#92 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Great news. I suppose you had gtk style selected in qtconfig or you tested the behavior after selecting gtk style.
both, gtk preselected, qtconfig then recognized it, changed gtk style saved to qtconfig and no errors.

pemasu

#93 Post by pemasu »

Since I am not satisfied with QtWebbrowser I compiled freshly Firefox-5.0. It is still Aurora but this is the real one. Well, I am Firefox man, though I just installed Playdayz`s compiled SM2 in Ice Puppy...and almost liked it. It was sure fast enough for me. But Firefox.....
Compiled in Polarpup.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/firefox-5.0.pet

And if you want nice collection of Puppy links, install attached bookmarks file. History > Show all history > Import and backup > restore > choose file your downloaded file.
Remove the phony .gz.
Attachments
bookmarks.json.gz
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

If your browser collection is not yet full, here is real perl. Small, but real fast and in quick test looks promising.
And it is little smaller than Firefox.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Web ... ent=140450

James C

#95 Post by James C »

Firefox..... a much better browser. :)

Grabbed WebRender to play with too...... :lol:

playdayz

#96 Post by playdayz »

It sure is cool in Finland.
Snow puppy, Ice puppy, polar puppy. Wink
Is the winter going on a little too long pemasu? ;-)

gcmartin

#97 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks Playdayz and Pemasu for the SM2.1. Its really fast and still feature complete.

My ICE is thick and solid! Looking forward to the next ICE skating adventure..

THANKS!!!

pemasu

#98 Post by pemasu »

Is the winter going on a little too long pemasu?
I have been thinking of next woof build distro called Ice Age Puppy. That will surely last long :)

playdayz

#99 Post by playdayz »

I just installed Playdayz`s compiled SM2 in Ice Puppy...and almost liked it. It was sure fast enough for me. But Firefox.....
By my tests Firefox 5.0 is even faster than Seamonkey 2.1--it scores about 20% higher on the Peacekeeper benchmark (but Seamonkey 2.1 is just a shade faster than Firefox 4.0.1). It is really good IMHO to see a fast Seamonkey! QtWeb looks good, but it was jumping all over the place on me--I wasn't able to post a message, plus no right-click to copy and paste.

pemasu

#100 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Good to hear your test reports in this thread also. About Qt browsers. I will abandon QtWebbrowser. It is not good enough, stable enough, it uses proprietary license and so you cant compile it yourself. It also drags its own static compiled libs with it. So...I have tested these light browsers actively.

Next step. Probably I have to add gstreamer support. Just compiled Clementine. But my compiling environment with all test compiles is a bit mess. Also testing wireless microcodes and compiling compat-wireless and installing them has not helped.
I maybe have to compile Clementine in fresh environment, which means dowloading tons of libs and dev libs again. Lets see.