Qt Interest Group

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

Qt Interest Group

#1 Post by playdayz »

The purpose here is to define the contents of a Qt package that will serve to run programs in both Slacko and Lucid and to post that package (it might have to be a physically different package for both). I think of this task as comparable to installing wine to run wine programs, or Python, etc.

Currently devs who make a Qt package include the necessary components of Qt. The problem is that there can be bad interactions then if installing and uninstalling more than one Qt program. jim1911 found a problem with Musescore and Clementine.

I believe that Michalis and billtoo have both compiled Qt 4.7.3. Michalis has posted his; billtoo has used his in both Slacko and Lucid versions of VLC-1.1.10 and I think he might have compiled separate versions for Slacko and Lucid.

The full Qt is huge. We could start by listing the programs that people want to see running and then start cutting Qt down and testing against those programs.

What programs are of interest?
VLC, Musescore, SMplayer, Clementine - these are the ones I have been working on lately. These programs are all Qt, but not KDE--that is, they need the Qt libraries but they do not need any KDE libraries.

pemasu

#2 Post by pemasu »

I have small collection of my compiled or Ttuuxxx compiled QT4 apps. I have used QT4-4.8.0 which is now in Polarpup and devx.sfs has development libraries.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets_Qt4/

Also as a smaller, reduced version of my used Qt4 libs and some Qt sfs apps.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Sfs/

scsijon

#3 Post by scsijon »

I am getting the thoughts that packagers are not following the QT way when creating QT apps, so I am adding this, it's the QT way of doing things.

Standard QT apps should NOT contain the content of the QTlib Packages. This is because most libs are common across all packages and this is one of the precepts of QT, to install the libs package and make it available for any app to use.

The libs package is about 27-33meg in size, depending on if the doc's, etc were left in. It's only needed to be loaded once and should be able to be looped or re-entered without fault.

Most QT apps are less than 5meg, some being measured in K and usually are fast against their non-QT equivalents. They seem easy to create and there are already hundreds out there over the many QT websites.

Another thing of interest is with the QTlib, any updates to it is required to be "fully backwards compatable!" Therefore any QT app of any age should be able to run on your system, even when the QTlib package has been updated many times.

Most of the QTlib updates are for speed increases. QT is designed for speed and to have a small footprint.

And as a last, i'm working in my spare time on a qt desktop for puppy. It won't happen today, but i've timelined it for completion this year and are on schedule at this time.

I do not intend to replace JWM, which I love, just give an alternate.

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

I would really and truly love to see this plan of yours come to fruition scsijon - and I hope to be around when you complete it later on - this QTlib desktop of yours, or Puppy, as it sounds brilliant AND exciting. Please try to keep me in mind so as to let me know when you've finished if you still see me around posting at that time, would you? I'd appreciate it! :)

Sometimes I swear it's all the exciting projects going on around here that keep me around and kicking! lol! Even my doctor said so after three recent heart attacks. :shock: And now some of you may see why I haven't posted for awhile? LOL!

Thanks to both Playdayz & scsijon for some exciting new ideas here! :D

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

ttuuxxx

#5 Post by ttuuxxx »

I've compiled qt at least 8+ times for different puppies, The one that should be used is the latest version, the only reason why is that there are around 4 maybe more really good qt browsers butttttttt they need the latest version within the past 6 months or so for them to be stable, if not they crash regularly. It was an issue with webkit, actually webkit is better off being in a separate package because its like 20mb alone lib.
VLC compiles nicely with the latest version also. where as older vlc's didn't compile very good at all on puppy.
I've also compiled a static qt version but it makes every program around 15mb, its good for one program, but too large if your including 2.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Dingo

#6 Post by Dingo »

In Puppy 3.01 I have a BIG problem:

I cannot compile QT4 since gcc 4.1.2 in 3.01 devx is too old and QT4 refuses to compile

so, it is a great annoyance and I'm forced or to not compile qt4 in puppy 3.01 or to build a newer gcc. I don't know what nightmare is the scariest :-)

I use puppy 3.01 not to be SNOB, but because is the better puppy series or my actual pc[/b]
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

scsijon

#7 Post by scsijon »

Dingo wrote:In Puppy 3.01 I have a BIG problem:

I cannot compile QT4 since gcc 4.1.2 in 3.01 devx is too old and QT4 refuses to compile

so, it is a great annoyance and I'm forced or to not compile qt4 in puppy 3.01 or to build a newer gcc. I don't know what nightmare is the scariest :-)

I use puppy 3.01 not to be SNOB, but because is the better puppy series or my actual pc
Why do you need qt4? Does the application you want to run specifically require it or will qt3 do, it's suprising what's out there that works with the earlier qt and is still supported. A lot of qt apps have streams for both qt4 qnd qt3 as both are still 'live'. There are even apps that won't work properly with qt4 but do quite happily with qt3.

AND

QT apps are the starting point or front end, the qtlibs are basically the supporting structure or back end. Therefore you need to think of the libs supporting the apps, not the other way around. This is one of the prime points of QT. It's why you can (usually) happily add a new qtapp and if necessary upgrade a qtlib and be sure the older qtapp you have installed will still work.

regards
scsijon

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Just for the sake of argument, how much space generally is needed when you try to compile Qt? I think someone (ttuuxxx?) mentioned a while back about a compile of late 3/early 4 taking up somewhere around 500MB-1GB? Have to find that post, again...

Yeah, I've read about the backward-compatibility of Qt. I have a version of QComicBook that someone on the forum compiled, that worked fine with Qt3 (QCB: 0.3.4 (I was thinking about trying to compile the latest, 0.7.1, which is why I was curious how much space the compiling wanted; QCB 0.7.1 wants at least Qt 4.5.0) with Qt 3.3.8.)
So, last night or so, I uninstalled Qt3 and installed a Qt 4.5 pet. QComicBook wouldn't run, because it couldn't find a specific Qt3 library. :roll: (I know, that's most likely because of the way that version of QComicBook was compiled...)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

@scsijon,

I'm only guessing, but I suspect Dingo doesn't really need any particular QT4 app, but is thinking of compiling such apps for other users. It's the endless bloatware cycle where some app, that used to compile with qt3, then was upgraded to need qt4..xxx1, now requires qt4.xxx9.

pemasu

#10 Post by pemasu »

Thank you Makoto. I compiled and added Qcomicbook-0.7.2 to the qt4 pets repo. Finding useful qt4 applications seems to need hunting and keeping eyes open.

ttuuxxx

#11 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi Makoto the folder where I compiled the latest qt was around 1.7GB but the end result was a 20MB pet there abouts and takes about 3 hrs to compile on a good pc.
ttuuxxx

pemasu

#12 Post by pemasu »

qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0-tp 1252 Mb

ttuuxxx

#13 Post by ttuuxxx »

pemasu wrote:qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.0-tp 1252 Mb
Is that compiled of just exacted?
ttuuxxx

pemasu

#14 Post by pemasu »

I believe it is after compiling and installing. When I now performed #make clean, the size is 778 Mb. It is about 3 weeks when I compiled but I think I left the folder as it was after installing.

Makoto

#15 Post by Makoto »

Well, that rules out compiling Qt4 for me, then. :) I'd already figured I wouldn't be able to - I could only spare ~500MB for a compiling environment on old, partitioned drives (really need to get around to buying more RAM and a large HD or two, for the system) - but now, I know for sure. Thanks. :)

I think I downloaded a Qt 4.8.0 pet + dev .pet you created about a week or so ago, though, pemasu. Not sure if they work under 4.3.1, and I haven't tried them, yet :oops: The 4.5.3 pet I found a while back seems to work, though... I think that one was one of yours, ttuuxxx. :D Not sure if that one has the dev headers included, however.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

pemasu

#16 Post by pemasu »

Makoto. Those Qt 4.80 packages have basic stuff compiled. They resemble the QT libs Barry Kauler made for Wary. The size is bigger because I cant compete with T2 compiling environment. Barry gets astonishing small packages with it.

Makoto

#17 Post by Makoto »

Are they already possibly stripped, and maybe even further compressed with something like UPX? :) (Not that I know whether or not you could strip the Qt setup...)

pemasu

#18 Post by pemasu »

They are stripped. UPXed no. And reboot is needed before they are recognized. The pinstall.sh is included in the main pet, at least.

Makoto

#19 Post by Makoto »

Do Qt programs generally need the version of Qt they were compiled against, or higher?

I re-installed Qt 4.5.3, and installed your QComicbook 0.7.2 package... but if I try to run it, it always stops with this error:

Code: Select all

qcomicbook: symbol lookup error: qcomicbook: undefined symbol: _ZN9QMetaType15registerTypedefEPKci

pemasu

#20 Post by pemasu »

Backwards compatibility is something I dont have right answer. Hmm...If I dont strip the compiled package, would it help, I dont know yet.