Polarpup-005 with Qt4-4.8.0 and Gstreamer libs inbuild

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

#61 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. In my experiments Billtoos compiled VLC (in Lucid 525) and my stripping of included Qt libs is not fully succesful. Watching movies works ok for me but subtitles loading didnt work. Important for me.

Conclusion. VLC package in first page is not fully functional. Luckily my compiled Smplayer and Umplayer works fine. Support for Tano will be lost with those but you cant get everything.
Well, anyone can try that vlc sfs and give error reports but I am now sure that it does not work fully.

About compiling VLC in Polarpup. I wish luck and determination if somebody wants to do it.
I will use Smplayer and Umplayer atm.
Subtitles like this?

pemasu

#62 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. If your subtitle is loaded from separate subtitle file, then yes. I didnt mean subtitles embedded in to movie file or subtitles in DVD movie.
I havent managed to get subtitles working from .sub or .srt files when I use for example xvid avi packaged movie file with separated subtitle file.

Billtoo

#63 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. If your subtitle is loaded from separate subtitle file, then yes. I didnt mean subtitles embedded in to movie file or subtitles in DVD movie.
I havent managed to get subtitles working from .sub or .srt files when I use for example xvid avi packaged movie file with separated subtitle file.
These two files aren't in the vlc sfs, maybe that's why vlc_NLS-1.1.10-i686.pet and vlc_DEV-1.1.10-i686.pet.

pemasu

#64 Post by pemasu »

I found one working solution for qtconfig QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme problem, Now the theme is included in the Qt4 applications menu bars also.

Jim3630 rised the issue in Snow Puppy thread but it applies to the Polarpup also.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=775685

That thread had needed information.
I still dont know what stuff were essential, but.
Adding the first line in below script cut to the /root/.xinitrc near the end:

Code: Select all

export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"
#exec $CURRENTWM
#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec jwm
Then I installed most gconf packages, libgconf, libgnomeui and libgnomeui-common.

I restarted the X and in console #qtconfig. No more error about unable to detect theme. And voila the themes were recognized and displayed in Qt applications.

Then I removed all the packages, I had installed with PPM and at least after restarting X, the detection is still working, theme change is applied.

jim3630

#65 Post by jim3630 »

Billtoo wrote:
pemasu wrote:Billtoo. If your subtitle is loaded from separate subtitle file, then yes. I didnt mean subtitles embedded in to movie file or subtitles in DVD movie.
These two files aren't in the vlc sfs, maybe that's why vlc_NLS-1.1.10-i686.pet and vlc_DEV-1.1.10-i686.pet.
Billtoo, thanks for your work on vlc. I like tano and if it can't work then that's that. However, I'm using the vlc polarpet not the sfs.

Tano opened and worked once with the packages below installed then stopped. Getting the error messages from vlc I assumed it was vlc... maybe not. I'll start with fresh save file then install Tano and VLC pet only.

pupsaveconfig-1.9.9
broadcom_sta-5.100.82.38-k2.6.38-lupe25
vlc-1.1.10-i686-polarpup
tano-0.7.3-i386
lmms-0.4.10
lmms_DEV-0.4.10
lshw-02.14-1
Azenis-paws
Azenis|Azenis
SM-21rc1
aria2-1.9.0
quickpet_fix-0.0.1
iftop-0.17
lsof-4.77

pemasu

#66 Post by pemasu »

Watching movie now. I noticed that Smplayer has audio output selected as pulse. Change it to the alsa and you get sound working.

jim3630

#67 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:I found one working solution for qtconfig QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme problem, Now the theme is included in the Qt4 applications menu bars also.

Jim3630 rised the issue in Snow Puppy thread but it applies to the Polarpup also.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=775685

That thread had needed information.
I still dont know what stuff were essential, but.
Adding the first line in below script cut to the /root/.xinitrc near the end:

Code: Select all

export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"
#exec $CURRENTWM
#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec jwm
Then I installed most gconf packages, libgconf, libgnomeui and libgnomeui-common.

I restarted the X and in console #qtconfig. No more error about unable to detect theme. And voila the themes were recognized and displayed in Qt applications.

Then I removed all the packages, I had installed with PPM and at least after restarting X, the detection is still working, theme change is applied.
Pemasu, applied above but still get
# qtconfig
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.

will start with fresh savefile and do again.
Attachments
qtconfig.png
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 1066 times

pemasu

#68 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. There are 4 gconf* packages also. I installed at least gconf2 and gconf2-common pakcages also.

jim3630

#69 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. There are 4 gconf* packages also. I installed at least gconf2 and gconf2-common pakcages also.

pemasu, started with fresh savefile and broadcom, pupsaveconfig, puptv pets installed and the below packages with all dependences and it didn'
t work. then tried only the 6 packages below and still no go.

gconf2_2.28.1
debconf_1.5.28ubuntu4
gconf2-common_2.28.1
libgnbomeui-common_2.24.3-1
libgnomeui-0_2.24.3-1
gconf-defaults-service_2.28.1

if you like to list what you installed will try again.

Billtoo

#70 Post by Billtoo »

jim3630 wrote:
Billtoo, thanks for your work on vlc. I like tano and if it can't work then that's that. However, I'm using the vlc polarpet not the sfs.

Tano opened and worked once with the packages below installed then stopped. Getting the error messages from vlc I assumed it was vlc... maybe not. I'll start with fresh save file then install Tano and VLC pet only.
Hi Jim,

I can't get tano to work either, but I found something called
channels.com in the vlc playlist under the view menu.
It's got a lot of videos and movie trailers,podcasts,etc, a whole
bunch of different categories.
Attachments
showtime.jpg
(154.87 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times
channels.jpg
(154.2 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times

Billtoo

#71 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. In my experiments Billtoos compiled VLC (in Lucid 525) and my stripping of included Qt libs is not fully succesful. Watching movies works ok for me but subtitles loading didnt work. Important for me.

Conclusion. VLC package in first page is not fully functional. Luckily my compiled Smplayer and Umplayer works fine. Support for Tano will be lost with those but you cant get everything.
Well, anyone can try that vlc sfs and give error reports but I am now sure that it does not work fully.

About compiling VLC in Polarpup. I wish luck and determination if somebody wants to do it.
I will use Smplayer and Umplayer atm.
I compiled a new vlc-1.1.10-i686.pet and I enabled some more stuff, snapshot,and some codecs.I don't know if it supports the subtitles that you want and I have no way of testing because I don't have that type of avi file.

Compiling vlc in Polarpup is a nogo, the devx is about 30mb smaller than lucid 525, in my experience anyhow.

James C

#72 Post by James C »

Finally got around to trying Polar Pup 001 on some semi-modern hardware.Live pfix=ram. Everything good on boot.

Sat 18 Jun 2011 Operating System: Polarpup-001 Linux 2.6.38
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (413x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Core 0: 2611 1: 2611 2: 2611 3: 2611 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

# glxgears
2219 frames in 5.0 seconds
1916 frames in 5.0 seconds
2226 frames in 5.0 seconds
2227 frames in 5.0 seconds
2226 frames in 5.0 seconds
2225 frames in 5.0 seconds
2208 frames in 5.0 seconds

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 3884MB (207MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 18 Jun 2011 11:06:07 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

James C

#73 Post by James C »

FWIW, no problem running from multi-session cd with Polarpup.First little problem I discovered is that the QTWebBrowser really likes to crash..... :lol: Luckily Arora seems really stable.

pemasu

#74 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Thank you of your concern of VLC. It is really appreciated. I still think that the problems come from my Qt libs removing and using those Polarpup inbuild Qt libs.

Have you uploaded your newest VLC somewhere ? I would like to give it a go.

About subtitles. That feature is inbuild to all Qt media players. VLC, Smplayer and Umplayer. I think you dont have to enable it.

The problem was that the tested VLC gave errors about subtitle handling. Sorry, I dont have it now installed, but VLC tried to load subtitles, but then I got in console those error messages about not handling font type etc....

I think this shows how demanding VLC is and how complicated due its many features is gettting it working in some other environment than it was compiled.

I had same problems when trying Warys VLC package. It didnt work fully, and same problems with subtitles handling.

About devx sfs. I have removed all the docs, it frees about 20 Mb of dead weight from devx sfs. I have done that all the time.
But good to know. I would like to add those dev libs to the devx sfs what should be there.
I have already added about 10-12 dev libs from the start of Snow Puppy and in Polarpup devx sfs is the compiling environment for Qt application compiling.
What I should add as default, I am all the time willing to hear.

James C. I share your opinion about Qtwebbrowser. I wont include it in the future. It has major problems, it is proprietary licensed and you cant compile it yourself, it installs to the unorthodox place, I havent found spell checking for it and so on.....

pemasu

#75 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. About your installs. I dont know yet what libs were the right combination. I only know that qt gtk-style enabling is possible.
I need to play with fresh install first and I will post the right combination when I know it.

To play meanwhile for sure. Install all libgnomeui*, libgconf*, gconf* packages and it should work with that .xinitrc addition. Remember to restart X.
Somehow it works eventhough I removed all those packages afterwards, but I havent rebooted yet.

James C

#76 Post by James C »

Using Lightweight2 right now......fast little browser and no problems yet.I already used Arora occasionally anyway so no problem using it in Polarpup.

pemasu

#77 Post by pemasu »

Qcomicbook-0.7.2 compiled in Polarpup.
QComicBook is a viewer for comic book archives (.cbr, .cbz and alike) containing jpeg/png/xpm/gif/bmp images, which aims at speed, convenience and ease of use.
http://qcomicbook.linux-projects.net/
Attachments
qcomicbook_NLS-0.7.2.pet
(53.38 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

Billtoo

Polarpup-001 with Qt4-4.8.0 libs inbuild

#78 Post by Billtoo »

@pemasu

I did manage to compile vlc in polarpup and made a pet of it, playing
audio worked fine but as soon as a video is loaded it locks the
computer up so it's back to square one I guess.
The new2dir script is not working in the polarpup devx,installwatch_lucid-1.6.1.pet
that 01micko made fixes it.
I'll try again and upload it if I'm successful, don't know when that
will be of course.
Attachments
installwatch_lucid-1.6.1.pet
(16.56 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

pemasu

#79 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Thank you of your huge effort in this VLC project. Will you be succesfull or not, I will appreciate this hugely. I grant you with Grand Master of Polarpup virtual nomination right now. You can bow virtually and accept this highly appreciated title.

And thank you of that new2dir bug fix pet. I remember when that struggle was in lucid devel thread, but since I dont use new2dir at all, I forget to implement the fix. I use plain commands, strippkg (included in my builds), splitpkg (included).
The compiling commands vary so much and QT have its own set for compiling like qmake and cmake, so I dont trust new2dir enough. Also locales has so different folder namings that splitting locales often needs manual steps also.

I am right now compiling Firefox. Billtoo, you were right, I need to include more dev-libs to the devx sfs. Lets see if I am succesful. If I am, I will post my steps so other people can try it with latest 5.X Firefox also.

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

Lol. I launched the freshly build Firefox-5 and I saw the name Aurora. My mind translated it as Arora. It took several relaunching before I understood that code name for this development build is .....Aurora, lol.

My compiling time notes copied from Notecase which I use for notetaking. Yes, I do my Puppy Linux notes in english and here is also a lot Playdayz notes from his Firefox compiling thread.

My needed extra libs:
libasound2-dev
libpthread-stubs0-dev
libx86-dev
libx11-dev
libxt-dev
mesa-common-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev
libsm-dev
x-dev
libice-dev
perl-modules
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/i386/yasm/download

2. Download Firefox source code
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... /releases/ >>take biggest number

download -> firefox.source.tar.bz2

2b. Also download and install yasm, which is necessary for Firefox to support webm video.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/i386/yasm/download

Webm test files -> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=1919639

3. Unpack the source code:
Code:
# tar -xjf firefox.source.tar.bz2

(Don't try to use Xarchive--it takes forever)

4. Open the unpacked folder and open a terminal in that folder
(right-click in the folder background and choose Window -> Terminal Here), in console execute next rows:

export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native"
export CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=native"

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-dbus --disable-hal --disable-crashreporter --enable-strip --enable-application=browser --disable-libnotify

make -j4 (for quadcore)

make install DESTDIR=/mnt/home/firefox-5

Next I need to strip unneeded stuff out and make a pet, but that is another story.