Lighthouse 64 5.11 Alpha for 64-bit processors

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

host name; save files; nouveau.modeset=0

#21 Post by tazoc »

@All,
If you've experienced reboot or save file creation failure, and find that nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram or other boot options allow proper reboot/shutdown, it is possible that a corrupt save file was created earlier without any feedback on the screen, and this might need to be deleted and, if desired, a new one created.
pemasu wrote:And Shinobars own fix:
Thanks micko, gcmartin and playdayz. I will incert a code in /usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs at line 1198-:
Code:
echo "127.0.0.1 localhost $HOSTNAME" > /tmp/hosts
grep -vw 'localhost' /etc/hosts >> /tmp/hosts
[ -s /tmp/hosts ] && mv -f /tmp/hosts /etc/hosts
Hi pemasu,
Thanks much, I've inserted Shinobar's fix after line 1284 of the script in Lighthouse 64, and it works. :D

Am also updating ipinfo to report current host name without having to reboot/restart X.

@James C, Lobster, gcmartin,
Thanks for the helpful feedback!

@Jim1911,
If you used http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 0-only.pet on Fatdog 64-511, maybe it will also work on Lighthouse 64?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -10.10.pet works here with my Radeon HD3200.

I don't have the supported adapter list for these, typically they only work with fairly recent cards.

@Billtoo,
A new VLC! I will try it out, thanks.

@Roy,
Thank you for the logs. :D I don't yet have a 64-bit machine with NIVIDIA graphics, so they will be helpful.
[Update: Don't use nouveau.modeset=0, it may prevent save file from loading.]
Maybe try nomodeset puppy pfix=vesa,ram
or
puppy pfix=vesa,nox,ram and then from CL after boot: xorgwizard-puppy and maybe choose driver nv in the wizard.
Also, 'puppy pfix=ram' boot parameter DOES get me to the desktop (no save file option) and the partition icons DO indicate mounted/unmounted status in Openbox. Maybe I was using JWM before?
The default WM is Openbox. I don't know, it seems the nouveau kms (kernel modesetting) affects many things, maybe somehow the drive icons also.
-TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

Re: host name; save files; nouveau.modeset=0

#22 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote:@All,
If you've experienced reboot or save file creation failure, and find that nouveau.modeset=0 or other boot options allow proper reboot/shutdown, it is possible that a corrupt save file was created earlier without any feedback on the screen, and this might need to be deleted and, if desired, a new one created.

@Jim1911,
If you used http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 0-only.pet on Fatdog 64-511, maybe it will also work on Lighthouse 64?
There was no corrupt save file. Fresh frugal installation of mariner on an ext4 partition boots fine and creates save file on reboot. However, "locating main and session files" on boot still does not find the new save file so the frugal installation is still crippled.

The nvidia-260.19.21-for-510-only.pet does work on my full hd installation.

Code: Select all

# glxgears
16299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3259.729 FPS
16528 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3305.596 FPS
16910 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3381.858 FPS
16967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3393.222 FPS
The full hd installation is working great.

Cheers,
Jim

Billtoo

#23 Post by Billtoo »

I did a frugal install on a pc with an nvidia graphics card using the
nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram
I loaded the Devx-L64_511.sfs and vlc-1.1.10-amd64.sfs files
I downloaded and installed the nvidia-260.19.21-for-510-only.pet from
the fatdog repo, exited to the prompt and did nvidia-xconfig then xwin to get back to the desktop.
Changed the menu.lst entry to pfix=fsck and rebooted creating a 4gb
save file.
I downloaded and installed the newest
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-275.09.07.run proprietary driver.

Tue 14 Jun 2011 Operating System: Lighthouse64-511 Linux 2.6.35.7
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600 GT (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: #card0driver
X.Org version: 1.9.0
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (382x302 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 275.09.07

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 2393 1: 2393 2: 2393 3: 2393 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
bash-4.1# glxgears
50817 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10163.330 FPS
50877 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10175.400 FPS
50831 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10166.080 FPS

It was a bit of a struggle but it's working good now :)

smokey01

#24 Post by smokey01 »

Using the puppy pfix=ram noveau.modeset=0 option allowed me to create a savefile on the DVD, however It didn't find my wireless connection.

It booted to the desktop but only at 800x600.

Without the noveau.modeset=0 it booted to the desktop at 1280x1024

Hope this helps

myke

Time Zone

#25 Post by myke »

After booting up successfully, I encountered a problem with the time zone: the system simply refuses to change the time zone being used from PDT (UTC hardware clock) despite displaying the time zone =Canada/Eastern or US/Eastern.

I am impressed with the look of the system and its fast response.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

myke

#26 Post by myke »

tazoc, It worked after reboot.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

Jim1911

#27 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Tazoc,

The code “nomodeset pfix=vesa
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

myke

PySol games

#28 Post by myke »

tazoc,
Trying to make myself at home in LP-64 ;). Have python, tcl and tk but can't seem to find tkinter python binding for tk to run PySol.

Dependency check says AOK but not see there after running in console.

myke

tazoc

puppy pfix=vesa nomodeset (for NVIDIA especially)

#29 Post by tazoc »

[quote="Jim1911"]Hi Tazoc,

The code “nomodeset pfix=vesa
Last edited by tazoc on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Roy

#30 Post by Roy »

The nvidia-260.19.21-for-510-only.pet from Fatdog64 worked for me in LHP64, too. I installed it immediately after getting to the desktop with the Vesa driver. Trying to get to the nv driver on initial boot failed in every previous attempt (CRT monitor just went to black "power savings" mode).

I noticed that only once did the
"X started by /usr/bin/xwin
Exited from X to Command Line.
bash-4.1#"
screen give me the instruction to use "xorgwizard-puppy". The remainder of the times that screen only referred to "xorgwizard". The missing dash-puppy ending of the xorgwizard instructions in most of those screens left me in ignorance.

Did get my CD to create a save file by using 'puppy pfix=ram nouveau.modeset=0' and the immediately using the shutdown menu to drop down to the X server. Typing 'reboot' then brought up the option to create the save file. This reboot then got me to Nvidia graphics with xorg.

It is in Vesa (default Openbox WM) that the drive icons do not show mounted status for me.

Please keep in mind that I LOVE your work, tazoc, and am only trying to contribute my experiences with this Alpha at this time.

-Roy

Edit: To automatically find a wireless connection, I must first use Frisbee to save a profile for that network. Also, since I do not have an ethernet connection, I use Frisbee's GUI to change that connection from 'auto' to 'ignore' in order to shave a few seconds off of wireless search/recognition. This is normal behavior in all my Puppys with Frisbee.

davids45

#31 Post by davids45 »

G'day tazoc,

Roy is not quite alone.

Last night, I tried the 64-bit LHP and got the now usual failure of most new Pups to create a Save file on shut-down after using the Universal Installer to set up a Frugal install.
On hitting "Reboot", monitor goes black/dark grey, computer runs on for a while then reboots. I see none of the previously regular messages about what is happening during shut-down and no "Save File" option.

Re-booting to the new LHP64 Frugal subdirectory, there is no Save file found so I get prompted again for the usual new install data. There is no save file when I look with Rox.

My work-around try for LHP64 was to copy over a FatDog64 Save file and re-name to L64save.xxx - I've been told that /etc/DISTRO_SPECS will list what prefix to use for the Save file so a Puppy can use it (or an empty SFS) during a Frugal boot.

This copy&re-name worked so I now have a LHP64 Frugal booting directly however this has "merged" my old FatDog64 save-file and the new stuff from LHP64, which made for an interesting pinboard on re-booting again - lots of overlapping icons from each Pup plus my sfs's from FatDog running nicely without having to tell LHP64 what to load at boot.

So, like Roy's description, I'm getting this Frugal-install failure (black screen, no Save File prompt, no shutting down messages) with most new Pups whereas old Pups install as they always have.
But unlike Roy, I have a Radeon-driver. So it's not an nvidia problem? But could be new hardware-involved as I am on a new desktop and having all these Frugal-NoSaveFile problems - Fulls are fine, so far.

LHP64 is otherwise very good, just like your 32-bit LHPs.

Having done the Green Cape Lighthouse tour, I appreciate your use of its image for your wallpapers. Like most lighthouses, a very interesting location and atmosphere. But your image doesn't seem to capture the windiness of Green Cape that I remember.

Hoping the Frugal No-Save gets fixed for all Pups as well as LHP64, or at least, explained to me what's going on,

David S.

Billtoo

#32 Post by Billtoo »

I do a frugal install but I don't use the universal installer, instead
I boot from another puppy installation,live cd or one on the hard
drive.
I made a lighthouse directory on the hard drive and then clicked on
the Lighthouse64-5.11-A.iso to mount it, then select all the files and
copy them to the lighthouse directory,then click on the iso again to unmount it.
Then I run grub4dos and edit the menu.lst file entry for lighthouse to
"nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram", I need this on this particular pc even
though it has ati graphics or I'll get a black screen at some
point.Once the pc is rebooted I can download the driver pet (ati or
nvidia) and install that which allows a reboot with no black screen
and can create a save file,(need to remember to edit the menu.lst
entry back to pfix=fsck before rebooting).

This is what the Pupstate file shows now:
PUPMODE=12
PDEV1='sda1'
DEV1FS='ext4'
PUPSFS='sda1,ext4,/lighthouse/L64-511.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sda1,ext4,/lighthouse/L64save-billjun15.4fs'
PMEDIA='atahd'
pfix='fsck'
#v3.97: kernel with libata pata has both sata and pata drives in ATADRIVES...
ATADRIVES='sda '
#these directories are unionfs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_rw'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the L64save file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV=''
#complete set of modules in the initrd (moved to main f.s.)...
ZDRVINIT='no'
ZWINEFILE='zWine-1.3.21-x86-64_511.sfs'
PSAVEMARK=''
FASTPARTS='sda1|ext4 sda2|ext4 '

I wasn't aware of the frugal install problem with the universal
installer because I seldom burn a dvd or cd of the puppy iso.
Anyhow, this method is working here.
I had the kernel sources sfs from fatdog64 on this hard drive and was able download
and install the proprietary ati driver.

Thu 16 Jun 2011 Operating System: Lighthouse64-511 Linux 2.6.35.7
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 68d9
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: REDWOOD 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrxdrm: vendor=FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc.
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5570
OpenGL version string: 4.1.10750 Compatibility Profile Context

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Core 0: 2592 1: 2592 2: 2592 3: 2592 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
bash-4.1# glxgears
39586 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7917.070 FPS
39789 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7957.797 FPS
39778 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7955.398 FPS
Attachments
lhdesktop.jpg
(138.46 KiB) Downloaded 2985 times

tazoc

KMS

#33 Post by tazoc »

davids45,
Sorry about the difficulties with reboot and save file creation. It seems the problems are not just a particular brand of video card, but rather with kernel modules that handle video modesetting (KMS). Many display cards don't use KMS and tend to be immune from these problems. We are in a transition period where some software and hardware are KMS ready, while some are not.

We are also transitioning from using a text-mode interactive wizard to setup X to an automatic configuration 'boot to desktop' which sometimes works, but sometimes the proper driver or resolution is not available... The automatic part is handled by the script xorgwizard and the Personalize Settings first run dialog. The full interactive method currently requires exiting X to CL (text mode) and typing xorgwizard-puppy. This could be more straightforward I think. Again KMS complicates matters, as CL may not work if modesetting is enabled and the monitor or display adapter cannot use the chosen mode.

Using puppy pfix=vesa,ram nomodeset (or just vesa from the LiveCD) seems to be the best workaround, at least for the first boot and save file creation. As Billtoo found, the default boot options may work after the best display driver is installed.

32-bit LHP used nomodeset by default on the liveCD, while Fatdog 64-511 does not. I do not recall problems with KMS noted on the Fatdog threads, so I thought the new kernel and xserver may have eliminated the need for nomodeset. In any case, unless a better solution is found, I plan to make nomodeset the default, at least on the LiveCD for the next release.

I will also study the Universal Installer script to see if it needs the same treatment.

Billtoo,
Thanks again for the feedback, screenshot and suggestions. As with Fatdog 64, Lighthouse 64 has combined the devx and kernel source into one large devx SFS. I wanted to include it on the Mariner ISO, but that would mean it could not fit on a CD. I don't know if that matters, as I would think most 64-bit machines would have a DVD burner anyway, although users who don't need to do any compiling from source might prefer the smaller ISO.
Regards,
TazOC

Roy

#34 Post by Roy »

I can confirm that I did NOT have boot or save file issues with Fatdog64, if this helps in any way.

puppy pfix=vesa nomodeset on LHP64 brings me to the CL, but I cannot get to the desktop from there. Well, my machine barks once when I do a hard shutdown -- so I can guess that the desktop might actually be there beneath my totally black screen. Maybe I should specify that "I cannot get to a USABLE desktop" with that method, instead.

Also, although using 'puppy pfix=ram nouveau.modeset=0' in my boot parameters did eventually get my desktop and save file going, my ability to connect to the internet is intermittent. No guess as to 'why', but sometimes it connects to my ad-hoc hotspot, sometimes it won't. Reinstalling Frisbee beta2 pet from Fatdog does not help this (sometimes) problem. (My adhoc hotspot is sitting directly on top of my desktop, so I know it is not a signal strength issue.)

On the other hand, I have tried several DIFFERENT boot parameters and the ad-hoc connectivity problem might have been with some of those other parameters instead. I really MUST start keeping notes for myself.

-Roy

davids45

#35 Post by davids45 »

G'day tazoc,

Thanks for your reply and reasonable explanation to my difficulties with many new Pups when I try a Frugal install on my new desktop+monitor set-up.

I'll try your suggested boot script "pfix=vesa,ram nomodeset" on a few Pups that I have had Save-File set-up problems with.

I have certainly found that the graphics on my new LED 1600x900 monitor are often non-ideal (don't 16:9 size properly) and when a Pup does work, I seem to end up with different Puppy-selected drivers for what looks to me like no obvious reason (sometimes it's the expected "radeon", sometimes "vesa", and one chose something like "fvb").

And like Roy, I'm a bit sorry I haven't kept a record of which Frugals installed and Frugal-saved as expected, and those that just died graphically when I hit the re-boot button expecting to see the 'Save to File' or at least the closing down texts. Maybe the message was there but the shut-down had somehow stopped the graphic display from appearing.

But I shall in future, starting with IcePup015 which I've just down-loaded.

And as this is a Lighthouse thread, I've attached a couple of alternative views of one of your favourites, Green Cape Lighthouse. The Cape is always very windy as a proper lighthouse site should be. The lighthouse is vertical - I was having trouble keeping the camera (and me) level in the wind to get the second picture. Much nicer inside the top of the lighthouse.

Thanks for all your excellent and innovative Pups - it's not just because I like lighthouses too.

David S.
Attachments
greencape02.jpg
the keepers' cottages from the lighthouse
(30.54 KiB) Downloaded 2909 times
greencape01.jpg
From the tip of Green Cape.
(21.3 KiB) Downloaded 2764 times
Last edited by davids45 on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

#36 Post by davids45 »

G'day tazoc,

Sorry to keep bothering you with my Frugal Save File problem but I have just tried your boot parameter suggestions with IcePup015.

Unfortunately, I got no option to create a Save file on re-booting after a live CD Universal Installer install using the extra parameters, nor after using grub to boot to the installed-but-Save-file-less IcePup015 and adding "pfix=vesa,ram nomodeset" to its Grub entry.

The Universal Installer did everything I have seen it do for a few years now, and even offered the message that on shutting down there would be an option to create a Save file. But there wasn't.

As soon as I hit 're-boot' button offered by the IcePup shut-down dialog box (called PSD?), the monitor gave an instant black screen and soon the 'no signal' message (I'm using dvi if that's important) and went to stand-by (its power LED went to orange). The computer kept running for a minute or two before re-booting.

I had no problem booting IcePup015 with the extra boot parameters. The preferences box said IcePup was using vesa at 1600x900 and looked good.

I'm now posting from a Frugal install of IcePup015 because I copied over the previous Save file from my Frugal IcePup014 which on booting IcePup015 upgraded the older Save file. Actually even the old IcePup014 save-file was a copied Save file from IcePup012 - so my Frugal Save inability with IcePup is at least 2 versions old (I should tell pemasu my problems too).

And with the upgraded old IcePup Save file and no special boot parameters, I'm told I'm now using the radeon driver, not vesa.

I'll next see if your extra boot parameters work with your Lighthouse trying to get set it up as a new Frugal on my computer. Let me know if you want to know any of my hardware details.

But first I've got to go and buy some hot dinner for a meal on a cold Saturday evening (it's almost down to single figures Celsius outside).

After dinner, I'll let you know what happens with LHP.

Thanks for your help,

David S.

Ray MK

#37 Post by Ray MK »

Hi TazOC

Just a note to thank you for a superb start to LH64.

Booted from CD with no special parameters using the LH64 Mariner ISO.
Opted to allow std. installation of all SFS’s which took a little longer than I
expected, went to desktop and setup as expected, all seems fine.

Posting from LH64 now.

However, getting on to internet via wifi was a struggle, eventually successful but I’m not really sure exactly how.

Using a new laptop - e-machines (Acer) E732 with 2gig of ram and a i3-370M proc.

Used FD64-511 previously and was able to access internet via wifi with minimum difficulty (easily).

(JFYI - have not booted into Win7 64bit yet) but have booted Ice/Snow, Lupu, Wary and many derivatives of these - all from USB and SDcards and accessed internet via wifi with ease.

Personally, I like frisbee and pwireless and think they are excellent implimentations, however it took me over an hour to get connected.
(with much muttering and festering on my part).

I looked in PupControl to see if the std wireless and LAN connection tools or SNS were available to use - sadly no go there. I do appreciate that they may not sit comfortably with frisbee and pwireless.

Absolutely love GKrellM, Opera, the presentation and your overall choice of packages.

Your website and the attention to detail there plus the support you are offering is outstanding - many thanks - much appreciated.

Screenie and Hardinfo report attatched which hopefully with provide some useful info.

Many thanks again and very best regards - Ray.
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.tar.bz2
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

davids45

#38 Post by davids45 »

G'day tazoc,
Your magic code didn't work for me with IcePup015 but it does with LHP64.

First boot of my LHP64 CD with your extra parameters gave a distorted 1280x1084 display on this 1600x900 monitor under vesa but after using the Universal Installer to create a new Frugal install, on hitting Shut-down and re-boot, there was the "ol' faithful" Save file set-up.

I made a Save file and re-booted to the poor vesa display but was asked about booting some sfs files, so that looked like normality had returned.

Made a few small changes then re-booted and the changes were retained.
So then went to the display wizard and the xorgwizard started up the 1600x900 display using the radeon driver. Report-video reads:

"Lighthouse64, version 511 on Sat 18 Jun 2011
Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
ATI Technologies Inc Device 68f9
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: CEDAR 01.00
X Server: Xorg
Driver used: radeon
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes"

And it now looks good - running Firefox to post this.

I hope this helps you, or someone somehow because it is still making what was a quick Frugal install process pretty long.

At least now I can try the extra boot parameters on the other non-Saving Pups, knowing they do work with at least one new Pup.

Thanks once more,

David S.

Jim1911

#39 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Tazoc,

Oracle's OOO-3.4rc3 64 bit works great on LHP. I've not been successful getting the 3.4 64 bit version of LibreOffice to work. See attached image taken by radky's 64bit Pup Snap screen capture.

Cheers,
Jim

gcmartin

OOO or OpenOffice 3.4 in 64bit

#40 Post by gcmartin »

Jim1911 wrote: ... Oracle's OOO-3.4rc3 64 bit works great on LHP
How does one get OOO into LH64? Sounds like something I would want to use.

Thanks in advance