IcePuppy-014 for newer and Ice Puppy-015 for older computers

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

Measure ICE15 on 512MB PC

#781 Post by gcmartin »

James C inspired me to pull an old IBM P4 with 512MB of memory out of moth balls for testing ICE15. It seem to work fine without any issues. I then booted ICE14, and it seems to run faster. I then started on comparison, when it occured to me one problem that generates an inconsistent measure....the 2 ICE's are different in several ways. So my measurement would not be an "apples to apples" measurement. ICE15, has some updates and application version changes which ICE14 does not have yet.

But, my stop-watch shows ICE14 appears to be a slightly better utilization of resources for its performance with Videos and browsing. But, the workload I have is small and IS prone to human error. Therefore, I reject my comparison measurements for any validity.

One valid measure is the Video-Hardinfo report attached. Since we all know that the ICE15 is built for older uniprocessor PCs with 3.1GB RAM, its comparison would be better compared against SNOW20 versus ICE14. (In fact, maybe the number for "non-PAE" ICE should be the same suffix number as used with SNOW. Thus an objective comparison could be easily spotted.)

Hope this helps (if you want to know about ICE14 on a 512MB uniproccessor P4 PC. It works just as well as ICE15+SNOW20)

And James C, thanks for the inspiration. It makes me think.
Attachments
IBMP4-512MB_Video_Hardinfo-Report.tar.gz
Hardinfo IBM uni P4 512MB
(89.57 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

pemasu

#782 Post by pemasu »

Gcmartin. Ice Puppy-015 compiled kernel is SMP enabled, so it utilizes multiprocessors. But it is optimized conservatively for 486 aka old processors for better compatibility. Also memory resources usage is about 18 Mb smaller without highmem+pae so it is better with less memory.

Main reason to build this kernel was to cover those computures which didnt like core2 optimization.

davids45

#783 Post by davids45 »

G'day pemasu,
I've liked all your water-white Puppies but I am having a problem when using the Universal Installer to automatically add your latest Pups to my computer in the Frugal form.

Following the usual procedure of live CD (pfix=ram) and using the Universal Installer for a FRUGAL install, the files are copied from the CD to the new Pup sub-directory and the Installer tells me I will be offered to create a Save file as the computer shuts down.

But when I hit the 'Reboot' button on the Shut-Down dialog box, the monitor screen immediately goes black and the 'no signal' box soon appears - the computer however is still whirring away and only stops or reboots some minutes later.
No Save file has been created.

This Frugal failure has been happening to my new desktop computer for most but not all new Pup derivatives when I try a Frugal install.

tazoc at Lighthouse Pup has suggested some extra boot parameters to try (pfix=vesa,ram nomodeset) which I did with IcePup015 but these failed to let a Frugal Save file be offered at shut down. LHP64 also wont Frugal-Save for me yet.

My computer has a radeon graphics card and the monitor is a 1600x900 LED.

If it would help, IcePup015 (Frugal) reports:
"Sat 18 Jun 2011 Operating System: Ice Puppy-015 Linux 2.6.38
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 68f9
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: CEDAR 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800
Core 0: 3226 1: 3226 MHz"

Full installs of my non-saving Frugals are fine - but I cannot fit as many interesting Pup Full installs on a hard disk as I can Frugals. And Fulls are, or used to be, more hard work to set up.

And I can do a manual three file copy Frugal Install then create an empty Save file in the new sub-directory, and name this Save file using the pre-fix from /etc/DISTRO_SPECS so I then have what I hoped the Universal Installer would provide, like it used to.

I got this Frugal IcePup015 set up with a Save file by copying my Frugal IcePup014 save file and letting Puppy upgrade this which it does very well. In fact, my IcePup014 Frugal Save file was an upgraded IcePup012 Save file, so my no-Save-option problem has been happening in the last two IcePups.

So this is giving me interesting stuff to worry about, but I feel it would deter newcomers if this was their first experience of a Puppy Frugal via the Universal Installer. I have seen some recent forum posts about Save file problems, as well as my own.

Let me know if I could provide any extra info. about this problem.

Thanks for all your excellent Pups,

David S.

pemasu

#784 Post by pemasu »

davids45. I have read about your problem in other threads. It might be that /usr/sbin/snapmerepuppy script and your computer does not like each other. If you know older puppy which behaves well with your new computer, you could swap the snapmergepuppy from that puppy to the newer puppy. Snapmergepuppy script has improvements to create savefile from ram saved files faster. I have noticed that not all computers likes it or at least saving to the usb media has sometimes been problematic.

davids45

#785 Post by davids45 »

G'day pemasu,
Thank you for your quick reply.
I'll test your idea with a Puppy that has Frugally installed with the expected Save file option on shut-down on my computer and try the snapmergepuppy file in some of those that didn't.
I will let you know how it goes.
Maybe it just my unlucky combination of hardware.
David S.

marco07

#786 Post by marco07 »

Hi pemasu:
Two requests:
1- I have tried to install libre office from various links provuded here in the Puppy Forum to no avail. The download sites ( Rapidshare & media ???) are to confusing and redirect you to downloading other stuff but what you are seeking. Would you help me to find a download link or provide a SFS file for this. As you may know, it used to be in quickpet. But no longer any more (???).
2- I was wondering if you can provide a pet package of Kwallet for your puppies. The reason? I use Kmymoney and use the same data file that I use with other distros on my other box. These other distros use kwallet and passwrod protect Kmymoney. When I try to use it in either Snow or Ice Puppies, although I can access the data file, but when it comes to online updating then Kmymoney crashes instead of asking for a password which needs kwallet to handle that.
Sorry for too much to ask!
Thanks in advance!

pemasu

#787 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. I will check that Libre Office. I use it with Snow Puppy and Ice Puppy from /mnt/home in its own folder.
I could create sfs of Libre Office and upload it to the ftp site if I dont find working version from the bit heaven.

About Kwallet. I dont promise anything because it is unknown application for me but I check it also.

Edit: Have you tried this:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918

Jim1911

#788 Post by Jim1911 »

Try 01micko's GUI for LibreOffice download.This app downloads LibreOffice stable or test version, plus localised help and locale files (optional) and combines them into an sfs with the language code in the name of the sfs, then offers to install. It's worked well with the earlier stable version.

marco07

#789 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Marco07. I will check that Libre Office. I use it with Snow Puppy and Ice Puppy from /mnt/home in its own folder.
I could create sfs of Libre Office and upload it to the ftp site if I dont find working version from the bit heaven.

About Kwallet. I dont promise anything because it is unknown application for me but I check it also.

Edit: Have you tried this:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918
Thanks! It will be appreciated.
BTW, I tried menue>setup>setup puppy>sfs distro specific sfs downloader. It has listed a few Libre office versions. But none works. Produces error message "broken Link".

marco07

#790 Post by marco07 »

Jim1911 wrote:Try 01micko's GUI for LibreOffice download.This app downloads LibreOffice stable or test version, plus localised help and locale files (optional) and combines them into an sfs with the language code in the name of the sfs, then offers to install. It's worked well with the earlier stable version.
I tried menue>setup>setup puppy>sfs distro specific sfs downloader. It has listed a few Libre office versions. But none works. Produces error message "broken Link".
Thanks!

pemasu

#791 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. I made LibreOffice-3.4.0_en-US.sfs without extra locales and help files with that 01mickos libre qui downloader. 3.4 version seems to need java installed.
I will use LibreOffice as standalone application in /mnt/home/libreoffice folder.

I am now uploading it to the ftp site under Sfs folder.

About sfs downloader. It seems to be broken. The url is right, the files exist but it does not download.
Barry Kauler has changed the puppylinux folder contents. And there is also now symlink pet_packages-lucid pointing to the pet-packages-lucid, which was wrongly named at the beginning of Lucid Puppies saga.
There might be connection of these recent thing and download failure.

Kwallet. I should have guessed from name. It is KDE application.
Sorry, KDE is out of my scope.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

marco07

#792 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:
I am now uploading it to the ftp site under Sfs folder.
By ftp site, you mean the links on the first page of this thread?
pemasu wrote: About sfs downloader. It seems to be broken. The url is right, the files exist but it does not download.
It is sad!
pemasu wrote: Kwallet. I should have guessed from name. It is KDE application.
Sorry, KDE is out of my scope.
No big deal!
Thanks!

pemasu

#793 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. Yes. I will check which version works without java also. I just dont like this java coupling. Libre Office is big enough without java demand.

Jim1911

#794 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

All Libreoffice versions require java for all features to work, however, writer and spreadsheet applications work without it.

From your post, I see that you got 3.4 to work in Ice Puppy. I've only been able to use 3.3.2.

Cheers,
Jim

pemasu

#795 Post by pemasu »

Libre Office 3.3.3 works without java. It cries after it but accepts its fate without it and swriter starts.

Uploading now LibreOffice-3.3.3_en-US.sfs

I will investigate this sfs downloader failure. The script behind it is /usr/sbin/sfsget.

pemasu

#796 Post by pemasu »

Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2011-06-18 17:51:02-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... [u]Acrobat[/u]
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org... 152.19.134.43
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org|152.19.134.43|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
Content-type: text/html
Connection: keep-alive
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:51:03 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.26
Remote file does not exist -- broken link!!!
Hmm, it looks like the whole file name is not used in downloading. Could that be explanation of failures

marco07

#797 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Libre Office 3.3.3 works without java. It cries after it but accepts its fate without it and swriter starts.

Uploading now LibreOffice-3.3.3_en-US.sfs

I will investigate this sfs downloader failure. The script behind it is /usr/sbin/sfsget.
I have already installed the JAVA pet you posted on the previous page. Would that work with LibreOffice? Or to say in other words, would it interfer at all with it?
Thanks!

pemasu

#798 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. I believe it should work just fine. Test and report so that others know also.
It is just my compulsion to not use java if I can.

marco07

#799 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Marco07. I believe it should work just fine. Test and report so that others know also.
It is just my compulsion to not use java if I can.
pemasu:
I have downkoaded LO 3.4. It is downloaded in /mnt with the name +mnt+libreOffice-3.4.0_en-US.sfs
I realy don't know how to set it up and run it. Could you help please?
I tried to rename it by erasing +mnt+ from the name. It did not work.
Thanks!
Last edited by marco07 on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

rox corruption display

#800 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem. I havent read about that Rox problem. I keep my eyes open.
I disobeyed against my principle to only handle one issue in one post.
So this is about the corrupted display in ROX.
As said probably not a typical icepup issue as it is in lucid as well

When opens in ROX a directory with has many directories tray may cover the ROX window. When scrolling then the displayed window becomes corrupted.
A good example is dispaly /root in ROX, click on the eye to get the hidden directories and scroll.
Attachments
rox_corruption.png
(86.73 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]