Openbox/Fbpanel, How to set it all up.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
SimpleWater

#21 Post by SimpleWater »

DaveS wrote: OK, here is the problem: for some strange reason, Lucid runs 'fixmenus' at boot. It is running this AFTER your fbpanel is loaded, and basically closing it and re-loading just the default. The simplest way to fix this is to go in to /root/startup, right click on the file called 'run_fixmenus', select 'properties ' from the pop-up menu, and uncheck the three boxes under the exec heading. This will fix it for you :) It is also simple to reverse should you ever want to.
8) Yes it did fix it, thank you. Might also be a good idea to include that in your tutorial for Lucid users

DaveS

#22 Post by DaveS »

SimpleWater wrote:
DaveS wrote: OK, here is the problem: for some strange reason, Lucid runs 'fixmenus' at boot. It is running this AFTER your fbpanel is loaded, and basically closing it and re-loading just the default. The simplest way to fix this is to go in to /root/startup, right click on the file called 'run_fixmenus', select 'properties ' from the pop-up menu, and uncheck the three boxes under the exec heading. This will fix it for you :) It is also simple to reverse should you ever want to.
8) Yes it did fix it, thank you. Might also be a good idea to include that in your tutorial for Lucid users
I think you are right :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#23 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: I made a more generic wmswitcher which will work in most recent pups. Attached. (It handles kde4 too)
Just installed your wmswitcher pet on my Spup KDE install....... works great. :)

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

DaveS wrote:
SimpleWater wrote:
DaveS wrote: OK, here is the problem: for some strange reason ... simple to reverse should you ever want to.
I think you are right :)
  • Consideration of this for Live Media users?
  • Is there updated instructions for a satisfactory experience?
  • Is there a change in Woof that's required?
Hope this helps

DaveS

#25 Post by DaveS »

KNOWN ISSUES

Spup

Openbox cannot create a root menu
This is because there are som little scripts missing from Spup1 needed by fixmenus. If you want Openbox to create a root menu (this is the same menu that you get when you click the menu icon in fbpanel, the normal Puppy menu) when you right click on a blank area of desktop, just install the openboxrootmenu.pet below., and run 'fixmenus' in terminal.
If you do this, you will NOT be able to use the custom shortcut menu, BUT I have included a customisable shortcut section in the new menu that will not be overwritten by fixmenus.

When root menu issue is corrected, custom right click menu is overwritten
This is unavoidable, so I have included a customisable shortcut menu in the root menu. Just click the 'shortcuts' item to access your shortcuts. The second item, 'edit shortcuts', loads the editable section into Geany to allow editing. Again it is extensively annotated with examples to get you started. To activate it, run 'fixmenus' from the terminal after your edits.

Thanks to 01Micko for a custom window manager switcher here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 037#533037

Lucid

Custom menu does not survive re-boot
See next post down
Custom fbpanel profile not loaded after boot
Quick fix here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 280#533280, (Thanks to SimpleWater for pointing this up).
More to follow.
Attachments
openboxrootmenu.pet
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
Last edited by DaveS on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 21:52, edited 3 times in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#26 Post by DaveS »

To get the above menu working in Lucid, along with the section you can edit, install the .pet below, and run 'fixmenus' from the terminal. Each time you edit it, you will need to run 'fixmenus' to see your changes.
Attachments
lucidmenu.pet
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
Last edited by DaveS on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

SimpleWater

#27 Post by SimpleWater »

DaveS wrote:There is a default configuration, called of course, default. This is the file that the GUI configures, and you CANNOT edit it by hand, your changes will just be over ridden at boot.
I tested this out and my changes were not over ridden. Neither re-starting x or re-starting the computer over rid anything. This is actually good news of course. For example, installing a pet with a menu entry means it will run "fixmenus", which means it will remove your fbpanel setup. With the default profile, i assume that will not happen since it is the default of course. It is also recommended on their site.
http://fbpanel.sourceforge.net/docs.html wrote:Configuring
fbpanel stores its configurations in ~/.config/fbpanel directory. Every profile is represented by a single text file with a same name. Name of default profile is default. Edit relevant file and restart fbpanel. You can also tell running fbpanel to reload its configuration by sending it USR1 signal.

DaveS

#28 Post by DaveS »

SimpleWater wrote:
I tested this out and my changes were not over ridden. Neither re-starting x or re-starting the computer over rid anything.
You think? Try adding a fifth launcher, run fixmenus, and see what happens :)
I changed the wording in the original post to be a little clearer.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

alecyoar

A simple question

#29 Post by alecyoar »

Hello! Can I do it the same process in wary puppy 5.1.2. ? I'm a new linux user and a next ex XP user...;) regards

DaveS

Re: A simple question

#30 Post by DaveS »

alecyoar wrote:Hello! Can I do it the same process in wary puppy 5.1.2. ? I'm a new linux user and a next ex XP user...;) regards
I have never tried with Wary, but there is a good chance it will all be ok. If you try and get stuck, I will download wary tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HiDeHo

#31 Post by HiDeHo »

in lupu 520 or 525 which are the 2 pups i am working with atm i am trying to sort out openbox adn fbpanel. the .pets found here are they needed for the pups i am working on.

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

HiDeHo wrote:in lupu 520 or 525 which are the 2 pups i am working with atm i am trying to sort out openbox adn fbpanel. the .pets found here are they needed for the pups i am working on.
I dont think so. Lupu has Openbox and Fbpanel already pre-installed. Access Openbox from your menu. I think it is Menu>desktop>switch window managers.
You could install this .pet to get the deitable section added to your menu http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 411#533411
Good luck :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

HiDeHo wrote:in lupu 520 or 525 which are the 2 pups i am working with atm i am trying to sort out openbox adn fbpanel. the .pets found here are they needed for the pups i am working on.
Openbox and Fbpanel are being used in Lupu 520 and 525.
menu->desktop->desktop settings->Fbpanel configuration
menu->desktop->desktop settings->Openbox Window Manager Config

Openbox is default window manager, but to make sure you are using it.
menu->desktop->desktop settings->WM Switcher
Make sure it is the one selected.

mrd

#34 Post by mrd »

This is a great How TO! I'm a little unclear on how to persist changes that I make when the panel is refreshed by adding new .pet files and other things that might refresh it.

It seems that pfbpanel will recreate the original default config file and I'm not sure how to insist that it always use my hand edited (I am programatically creating an fbpanel config) version of the /root/.config/default .

Any help is appreciated and I should tell you I am running 5.2

Thanks,
M

DaveS

#35 Post by DaveS »

mrd wrote:This is a great How TO! I'm a little unclear on how to persist changes that I make when the panel is refreshed by adding new .pet files and other things that might refresh it.

It seems that pfbpanel will recreate the original default config file and I'm not sure how to insist that it always use my hand edited (I am programatically creating an fbpanel config) version of the /root/.config/default .

Any help is appreciated and I should tell you I am running 5.2

Thanks,
M
Yes, I agree getting your config to be persistent is awkward. I guess you have created a config with some name other than default? myconfig or somesuch? This is the first step. You can do it by simply copying the default config and re-naming it if you wish.
Next, you have to tell Puppy to load YOUR config file instead of the default one. Its quite simple, instructions for doing so are in the second post on the first page of this thread. It starts a little above the two code boxes.

The downside of this is that you cannot use the GUI configuration tool to change your custom config file as it only talks to 'default'
With regard to the default config, all changes made via the GUI will remain persistent. Quite why this is I have not yet figured :)

However, there is a small problem.... fixmenus loads the default config after being run, so anytime fixmenus gets used, you will get the default config back, and have to re-start X to swap it for your custom one. Hacking fixmenus will fix it, but is probably beyond the scope of this tutorial, and a bit risky. What I really need to do is figure out how to make changes to the default config remain persistent. :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mrd

Can't beat them... join them...

#36 Post by mrd »

I added some more launchbar options to the pfbpanel gui in Puppy 5.2.

Can't seem to find a working file extension that allows me to attach it here?

hm...

DaveS

Re: Can't beat them... join them...

#37 Post by DaveS »

mrd wrote:I added some more launchbar options to the pfbpanel gui in Puppy 5.2.

Can't seem to find a working file extension that allows me to attach it here?

hm...
You can attach it as a .pet, but the forum has a size limitation on attachments. Maybe its too big?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mrd

#38 Post by mrd »

My first .pet!
Attachments
new_pfbpanel.pet
(5.43 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times

DaveS

#39 Post by DaveS »

Excellent mrd.... 8 launchers instead of just 4. Settings remain persistent through 'fixmenus' etc. MUCH better than previous version and better than running two instances of fbpanel.

I edited earlier post to point people here.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

stu90

#40 Post by stu90 »

Remove the icon in the top left of openbox windows.

Go to: Menu > Openbox > Obconfig - Appearance

In the 'Buttons Order' input box delete the "N" option.