Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 04:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy Arcade 10
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 12 [177 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
tommy

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 09:32    Post subject:
Subject description: EDIT: FOUND!!

Thank you sc0ttman, if those old .pets are unreachable I will try the compile thing. Geforce 4 aren't that old, I think these video drivers (and every other old video or non-video drivers) should have a place on puppy repos... Puppy IS THE DISTRO aiming at old hardware!!! This is true in a special way for Turbopup (based on 4.20), it runs even on pentium 133 MHz with 32MB ram Exclamation !!

Edited: thanks to Aitch, who posted the link below, now I have the geforce4 .pet for kernel 2.6.25.16!! I don't know how long the link will work, so if someone is interested in using this .pet with puparcade and geforce4, download it now!

http://www.mediafire.com/?v2rinm1afyv

Edited again: the driver works!!! Details on page 40 of Turbopup section in this forum!!
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun 2011, 05:08    Post subject:
Subject description: EDIT: FOUND!!

tommy wrote:
Thank you sc0ttman, if those old .pets are unreachable I will try the compile thing. Geforce 4 aren't that old, I think these video drivers (and every other old video or non-video drivers) should have a place on puppy repos... Puppy IS THE DISTRO aiming at old hardware!!! This is true in a special way for Turbopup (based on 4.20), it runs even on pentium 133 MHz with 32MB ram Exclamation !!

Edited: thanks to Aitch, who posted the link below, now I have the geforce4 .pet for kernel 2.6.25.16!! I don't know how long the link will work, so if someone is interested in using this .pet with puparcade and geforce4, download it now!

http://www.mediafire.com/?v2rinm1afyv

Edited again: the driver works!!! Details on page 40 of Turbopup section in this forum!!

Good news it worked Very Happy
Enjoy your lovely OpenGL enabled retro gaming..

I have downloaded the drivers as well, so I can upload somewhere more permanent soon... Also, PA10 is based on TurboPup, and I was careful too keep things light, so if you disable the wallpaper and Wbar app launcher, then Puppy Arcade should use the same resources as TurboPup Smile

And I agree with you about the PPM repos - they should have all the drivers in there, especially Nvidia, MESA and ATI, old and new!

WireWulf

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun 2011, 21:08    Post subject:  

that wouldn't be too hard assuming you can find a server to aim ppm at. I am still curious as to Atheros 9 wifi devices as they seem not to work even on turbo pup..but hey I do keep my eye on projects that interest me and so far, and as early as Arcade pup 3, I have been watching this one
dukelukem

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2011, 14:17    Post subject:  

Ummmm. You can call me a noob, newb, n3wb, or whatever but I can't get Puppy Arcade 10 to so much as boot on my relatively new desktop tower. The prompt always tells me:

Unlmzing Linux... done.
Booting the kernel.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VPS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(22,1)
_

^Exactly like that...

Can someone please help a poor misunderstood lover of all video games???????

EDIT: I'm *attempting to boot from a Live CD or whatever it's called.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:38    Post subject:  

dukelukem wrote:
Ummmm. You can call me a noob, newb, n3wb, or whatever but I can't get Puppy Arcade 10 to so much as boot on my relatively new desktop tower. The prompt always tells me:

Unlmzing Linux... done.
Booting the kernel.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VPS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(22,1)
_

^Exactly like that...

Can someone please help a poor misunderstood lover of all video games???????

EDIT: I'm *attempting to boot from a Live CD or whatever it's called.

I would firstly, verify the download and burn were done correctly.
If not, re-download or re-burn.

If everything was definitely downloaded and burned OK and it still won't work, post your hardware specs here, and we'll see what we can do. It may be that your PC is too new Rolling Eyes

dukelukem

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:52    Post subject:  

Uh oh. Being too new is a problem??? Well I don't know 100% of its specs as a lot of them changed over the years. It was previously a WoW computer, so I figured this would be no trouble at all... Um some parts of it came shipped stock in 2003 as a WinXP Pro computer, the graphics and video cards are all from 2007, but I don't configure graphics until after it boots. I have been using the same rewritable CD though for a while it's been used and wiped and used countless times... Perhaps it's a bad CD? Maybe I could boot it from a USB flash drive (although I don't know how...)? Thank you!
Volhout

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2011, 09:56    Post subject:  

Hi Scottman,

Did not have luck with Arcade 10.

May target was to run Heretic (I have the original game, so the original WAD file) from (1Gbyte) USB stick, without any involvement from the XP on the machine.

Installed Arcade10 on USB stick using pendrive installer.
Booted from USB stick, and after playing around with video settings I settled on VESA 1024x768 (My LCD screen is 16x9, but haven't found a closer working resolution).

Wanted to install firefox 3.6 (to be able to access the forum), but it missed a screen full of libraries. Installer mentioned it was in the menu under internet, but couldn't find it. Bummer.

Selected Doom (bottom screen) and it installed a WAD file, and after success installed freedoom, and after success clicked on START in the configuration menu (didn't change any settings), and it started. I played a bit, and then wanted to shut down to create a save file (on the stick).

First time I tried "skip", and got a list of error message, some of wich said "read only file system".

New cold boot from USB, installed doom again, and carefully navigated through the shutdown menu to create a save file, and again, same list of error messages.

There is no "lock" switch on the USB key or what so-ever....and what is more, I never even came to a selection where to store the save file.

Not sure what is wrong, but you may bhave an idea...??

And now we are to it, does freedoom support network play.?

Volhout
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:47    Post subject:  

Volhout wrote:
Hi Scottman,

Did not have luck with Arcade 10.

Shame... Let's see what we can do..

Quote:
May target was to run Heretic (I have the original game, so the original WAD file) from (1Gbyte) USB stick, without any involvement from the XP on the machine.

I presume you are talking about making Heretic work in Prboom
I do not know if the Heretic WAD works in prboom, some do not..

Quote:
Installed Arcade10 on USB stick using pendrive installer.
Booted from USB stick

I recommend to install using the 'Frugal Installer' - view the Puppy Arcade README for more info.

Quote:
after playing around with video settings I settled on VESA 1024x768 (My LCD screen is 16x9, but haven't found a closer working resolution).

What gfx card do you have? To get the correct resolution, it may help to install OpenGL drivers.. Either MESA, Xorg_full_dri, Nvidia or ATI... Depending on what card you have, obviously.

Links to the OpenGL drivers are in the first post of this thread.
Quote:
Wanted to install firefox 3.6 (to be able to access the forum), but it missed a screen full of libraries. Installer mentioned it was in the menu under internet, but couldn't find it. Bummer.

Firefox works fine, ignore the missing deps message... you probably just forgot to choose "refresh menu" after installing, this is required on older pups, it says so after the .pet installs.

Type 'firefox' or 'firefox-bin' (I forgot which) into the terminal and see...

Quote:
I played a bit, and then wanted to shut down to create a save file (on the stick)....and got a list of error message, some of which said "read only file system". (tried again) to create a save file, and again, same list of error messages.

Creating a save file is a basic feature, I can assure you it works fine, if installed correctly. So I'm not too sure about your problem, never encountered that problem before.. And I would need more info to help..

- How are you booting? Do you have GRUB installed on your hard drive? What is the directory structure?

- Are you trying to make a save file at shutdown or before?

- What filesystem are you using for the partition which contains your Puppy Arcade install? FAT32? NTFS? EXT2?

- Can you edit files (or add new files) to the partition that reports to be 'read only'?

- Have you tried clicking the 'Save Settings' option in the 'Apps' menu before you shutdown?

I would recommend and ext2 filesystem on the USB, booting using GRUB, also on the USB.. Doing this using the 'Frugal Installer' should be easy.

If all else fails, you can try this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43553

Follow the link and install. Then you can manually create a blank save file. You should name it 'pup_save.2fs' and put it in the same directory as the 'pup_20.sfs' file.

Quote:
does freedoom support network play.?

Volhout

I've no idea, it would depend on prboom .. There are newer packages for that on this thread as well.

Anyway, hope this helps, any more problems, post them here,
I'll do my best..

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:50    Post subject:  

dukelukem wrote:
Uh oh. Being too new is a problem???

Much more likely is that it has not been installed quite right.
The bootloader (maybe GRUB) may be passing the wrong options to Puppy at first boot.

I would re-install, using the 'Frugal Installer' and see how it goes after that. Again, check links in the main post and view the README for more info!

dukelukem

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:56    Post subject:  

Thank you so much sc0ttman! You are my hero. Really. Keep doing what you're doing!!!
Volhout

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul 2011, 03:38    Post subject:  

[quote]
- How are you booting? Do you have GRUB installed on your hard drive? What is the directory structure?
[quote]

The harddrive is something I cannot get to. This is a work PC with WIN on it, and I cannot use it for anything (company rules). My target is to create a stick that does not touch the harddrive at all.

[quote]
- Are you trying to make a save file at shutdown or before?
- What filesystem are you using for the partition which contains your Puppy Arcade install? FAT32? NTFS? EXT2?
[quote]
I installed arcade on a FAT32 usb stick, booted into puppy, and went to shutdown, trying to create a save file.

[quote]
- Can you edit files (or add new files) to the partition that reports to be 'read only'?
- Have you tried clicking the 'Save Settings' option in the 'Apps' menu before you shutdown?

I would recommend and ext2 filesystem on the USB, booting using GRUB, also on the USB.. Doing this using the 'Frugal Installer' should be easy.

If all else fails, you can try this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43553

Follow the link and install. Then you can manually create a blank save file. You should name it 'pup_save.2fs' and put it in the same directory as the 'pup_20.sfs' file.
[quote]

Will try this later today....
kylechu

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug 2011, 20:07    Post subject:  

I installed Puppy on the hard drive of an older computer. I want to be able to boot the roms from a flash drive, but I can't seem to navigate the rom browser to that flash drive to open any roms.

What am I doing wrong?
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug 2011, 05:24    Post subject:  

kylechu wrote:
I installed Puppy on the hard drive of an older computer. I want to be able to boot the roms from a flash drive, but I can't seem to navigate the rom browser to that flash drive to open any roms.

What am I doing wrong?

1. You need to mount the flash drive first. Use 'pmount'.
(Open the 'Apps' menu and go to 'View Drives')

You should make a note of which drive you are trying to access..
It will be called either sda1, sda2, sdb1, sdb2, sdb3, sdc1, or etc...

(You can also type "pmount" in the terminal to load it)

2. Then you need to make sure the drive with your roms is 'mounted' -
click on the drive in pmount and it will get mounted, so that it is available to use.

- If your roms are on the same partition as the pup_420.sfs file, it will already be mounted by default.

- If the roms are on the same partition as the pup_420.sfs, they can probably be found at
/initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/path/to/roms - before you create a save file

- If you have created a save file, and the roms are on the same drive as the pup_420.sfs file,
then they will be available at /mnt/home/path/to/roms

In the "Puppy Arcade Readme" there are tips on how to symlink the roms folder to simply /roms ...
Then you have a symlink (like a shortcut) to all your roms at the top level, aka '/'..
This makes your roms very easy to find.

For example, on my system, my roms are at /mnt/home/files/roms/
I created a symlink /roms that points to that folder.

So I can now browse my roms like: /roms/snes/mario.smc

and so on....

To create a symlink (shortcut):

Using the ROX file manager, you can basically drag the roms folder to anywhere convenient and choose 'Link absolute' ...
The shortcut will be created where you want, and point to your roms..

After you have found your rom dir, and maybe set up a quick symlink (shortcut) to it, then finding it in Rom-Loader should be as simple as using a normal file manager and browsing to the correct folder.

kylechu

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug 2011, 02:34    Post subject:  

The symlink worked perfectly. Thank you. Smile
eatyourguitar

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 13:07    Post subject: need a remastered iso of puppy arcade  

I'm having an issue with puppy arcade 10 on CD not showing my internal IDE hard drive. its a known issue on older dell or compaq computers that have a hybrid IDE/SCSI controller. see this thread with the fix

long story short, I need someone to make a puppy arcade 10 ISO with the old kernel or the new kernel with support for my IDE controller. I'm using an old pentium 3 733mhz with a dell BIOS. I cant even boot from USB. but what I dont understand is that my IDE CDROM works fine to boot puppy arcade 10. its on the same IDE controller so why is able to boot but not see other IDE drives on the same controller?

if there is a way to put that IDE hard drive in another computer and load puppy arcade 10, I can do that. I saw the utility that comes with puppy that lets you copy a whole drive to another drive. will that work?
Page 6 of 12 [177 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: