Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 05:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 43 of 46 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
JimCockfield

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011, 19:08    Post_subject:  

pemasu wrote:
...You will need Eee spesific support to have all functions working...

BTW, I had always assumed that to be the case. I got the Eee PC 900 16G a few years back with an Eee PC specific version of Xandros on it (usiing a Debian base under the covers), and eventually started trying some of the the other Eee PC specific distros on it (with tweaked kernels, etc.) as they became available.

But. then someone mentioned that I should try Mint 8 on it, and sure enough, everything I used worked fine (including function keys for sound, screen brightness, etc.). Eventually, I got around to trying SimplyMEPIS on it, too (Mepis 8 and 8.5), since I've used Mepis since version 3.3 on other desktops and laptops. Sure enough, those worked fine on it. lol

So, I was worried about needing Eee PC specific distros for nothing (not to mention that I'm not very fond of netbook specific UIs like the Ubuntu Netbook inteface used by distros like Eeebuntu, etc..). I should have tried other distros sooner, versus sticking to distros targeting Eee PC models.

Now, perhaps some Eee PC specific stuff doesn't work. But, the basic things do (sound, wireless, screen resolution, touchpad, function keys for volume, brightness) in a number of distros I've tried on it, with the main difference between them being performance (and Puppy derivatives tend to have an advantage in that area).
majorfoo

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011, 20:48    Post_subject:  

Due to the large size of distro and amount of time it takes to download each new iso release (especially on dialup), would it be possible to provide delta file containing only changes from release to release?

thanks
majorfoo
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 00:11    Post_subject:  

@JimCockfield
Some laptop's have such settings in the bios also.
You always can look for your model if this is the case.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 00:21    Post_subject:  

jim3630 wrote:
pemasu wrote:
Jim3630. It looks likek some of your installs might have broken synclient.
Copy the original stuff back from /initrd/ro2. There are 4 synclient/syndaemon files in /usr/bin.

pemasu, have all 4 files in /usr/bin/ and continue to receive same error when choose flsynclient configure your touch pad. And the no touch pad option continues to not function properly. in Ice Puppy 14 it continues to function properly.

downloaded latest sp20 iso and copied the puppy_lupu_020.sfs to my frugal hdd install with the prior safefile. the above problem continues and after deleting the app from the built in packages flsynclient continues to give message restartx.

pemasu, now unable to turn off the keypad which is my custom. any suggestions to get rid of this daemon/devil? Very Happy
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 01:15    Post_subject:  

Jim3630. I dont know what has screwed synclient behavior in your savefile. To get it back might be difficult. Working synclient depends on those 4 files, synaptics driver and there are udev rules also which affect.
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 01:19    Post_subject:  

I could provide delta files also. I have just been lazy. Will do so in the future.
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 04:10    Post_subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Jim3630. I dont know what has screwed synclient behavior in your savefile. To get it back might be difficult. Working synclient depends on those 4 files, synaptics driver and there are udev rules also which affect.

oh, new savefile will do it? have pets in separate dir so if starting new savefile will fix it then it's easy to do.
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 09:41    Post_subject:  

All right now I had time to do Quickpet problem fixing. I started quickpet in console and then I clicked the More Pets option. Command gtkmoz not found was the error.
Well, I copied /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz from lucid 525 and voila, Quickpet works. Lucid news started to work also. The solution was so simple.

The missing script is in the attached pet.
quickpet_fix-0.0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  quickpet_fix-0.0.1.pet 
Filesize  690 Bytes 
Downloaded  328 Time(s) 
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 09:54    Post_subject:  

JimCockfield. /etc/acpi/lid.sh is the controlling script. You could check from your Puppeee if you still have it what script governs the lid closing in it.
You could swap the contents of Snow Puppy script with the script in Puppeee. Or replace the governing scripts more profoundly if they works better with your Eee netbook.
You can get the original scripts back from /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/acpi. They are there as read only state so they are unchanged always.
I dont have Puppeee downloaded and not have time now to do it. And it would need Eee netbook to test anyway. I wont ever go smaller than 15 " laptop. Well, not promising but I have stuck with that decision latest 6 years. I have now Acer 5820TG quad core and it is astonishingly light. And it has been good work horse for compiling also with quad core at full speed.
JimCockfield

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:38    Post_subject:  

Thanks.

I have no idea what I did with my last Puppee download (it's been a while and it would be on a backup somewhere). If I get a chance, I may download it again and see what I can find for differences between scripts.

But, it's really not a big deal since the sleep button does work on it (I can just use that before closing the lid if I don't want to shut it down).

BTW, I do not see any BIOS options related to power management or having anything to do with a lid close.

Yea... I'm not very fond of this Eee PC's size. It is a bit too small for my liking, as I tend to "fat finger" the keys since they're too close together on a keyboard this small, slowing down how fast I can type dramatically.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get something larger. But, it doesn't get used that often.
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:42    Post_subject:  

pemasu wrote:
All right now I had time to do Quickpet problem fixing. I started quickpet in console and then I clicked the More Pets option. Command gtkmoz not found was the error.
Well, I copied /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz from lucid 525 and voila, Quickpet works. Lucid news started to work also. The solution was so simple.

The missing script is in the attached pet.

changed savefile and problem fixed. The Quickpet fix works for me. Laughing
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 18:10    Post_subject:  

installed qt4.8.0 and qt-dev4.8.0 pets in sp20 with qt browser which appears work well. then issued code:

# qttracereplay
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.42: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
Replays a tracefile generated with '-graphicssystem trace'
Usage:
> qttracereplay [OPTIONS] [traceFile]
OPTIONS
--range=from-to to specify a frame range.
--singlerun to do only one run (without statistics)
--instrumentframe=frame to instrument a single frame

Pemasu, is libicui18n.so.42 in a file I need to open?
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011, 23:28    Post_subject:  

pemasu, continue to get error "Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.42: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" when use qtconfig to make changes. Is there a lib missing?
gnomic

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2011, 01:16    Post_subject: resume on a ThinkPad  

Running Snow Puppy 17 live at present. Imagine my surprise when on closing the lid the moon LED lit up on this ThinkPad R51. This is usually a sign that the session is about to fall over in a screaming heap when the lid is opened. However this time round the session resumed, the wifi reconnected, and all was copacetic. My congratulations to the chef! I don't know what's in the secret sauce, but keep using it. Seriously, I suppose this is down to some scripts for acpi. In my experience with Linux and laptops, suspend and resume is rarely successful. Top work. In general I have been finding Snow Puppy one of the most useful Puppy versions I have encountered.
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2011, 01:31    Post_subject:  

Jim3630. That Qt package seems to scream for libicu which is international code for unicode.
Install it with PPM from the Ubuntu repo.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 43 of 46 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum