Installing packages in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5

Booting, installing, newbie
amyo

Installing packages in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5

#1 Post by amyo »

HI, I'm totally new to Linux.
I have done a full install of Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 on my old desktop and totally removed Windows. I really like it because it is so cute and has everything I need. I wish to keep this system for my granddaughter (5Y) to play and use educational programs.

To start with I tried to install tuxracer which I downloaded on my laptop. Copied it on pendrive and tried to install in linux computer.
It contains two files: tuxracer-0-61.tar.gz and tuxracer-data-o-61.tar.gaz.
Clicking upon it, opens in Xarchive, did select all, and extract; its files gets extracted in two different folders. Don’t know what to do next. :?
Also tried install in PPM –there is nothing I can do. :(

Can someone give step by step instructions (for LuPu 525) for this example? A screen shot example will be great. Also give instructions how to create its shortcut on desktop and how to include in FUN category of menu.

Thanks

Amyo

wuwei

#2 Post by wuwei »

Welcome to the Puppy world and the forum.

I am not into games on the PC but at least I can point you in the right direction.

This search engine finds most Puppy related websites
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

more specifically here
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0159956439 ... earch.html

From what I can gather, there is a lot more involved with tuxracer than just opening the archive.

amyo

#3 Post by amyo »

Thanks

visited links, not of much help.

Tuxracer is just example I attempted.

will appreciate if someone give step by step instructions (for LuPu 525) for such example? A screen shot example will be great.

Also give instructions how to create its shortcut on desktop and how to include in FUN category of menu.

Amyo

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

The easy way is to get game programs that are already compiled for Puppy.
They will install and set up everything for you.
In the forum got to:
Additional Software(Pets&stuff) Games
You will find game programs as pet packages that you can download and install.

Here is basic info on installing programs:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59597

dru5k1

#6 Post by dru5k1 »

oh crap that's funny

It seems you were grabbing a bunch of games for Puppy verson 4.0 series or even 2.0 series, but you (were using) a 5.0 series Pup.

I hope that you are now having fun with Wary, and I think you should check out Puppy Arcade which is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62619 (just a thought - and a fun thing for you and your grandaughter to play with I'm sure :D )

amyo

#7 Post by amyo »

It was funny, I went all out to setup games for my grandaughter !! :wink:
However, since couple of days, I am back with working Puppy 525. I have installed Gcompris and Etoys 431. Both are working fine. I can’t load childsplay 431, it gets installed and shows in menu but doesn’t work. :(
Thanks for providing link for Puppy Arcade and soon will try it out. Will appreciate if you can provide some educational games (Age gr: 5-8 yrs) which can work in Puppy 525.
BTW my old desktop is Celeron (II), 128kb Cache, 367.48MHz of frequency, 514MB RAM, 10GB HDD and display Resolution 1024x768 pixels, with Puppy linux 525 (Full).
Amyo

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

There shouldn't be any problem with pup4 packages working with your pup5 install. I had a look at the ones you tried, and the most common factor was most needed SDL.

Have you installed SDL? if not, try this version.

With the games lletters & 5ball, they should also work with p525. The first needs the gtk1 packages, mentioned in the thread, to work. But i'll try running them in p525, & report back to you.

amyo

#9 Post by amyo »

Thanks muggings,
SDL file you suggested is GZ file. How to install it in p525? Please show it step by step, I am new in this and do not wish to disturb my running p525.
Amyo

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

Your browser, for whatever reason, has changed the file's extension. Rename it from SDL.gz (or is it SDL.tar.gz?) to SDL.pet. You can then click on it to have it automatically install.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

This may be a red herring but I think it ideal for 5 year olds or crustaceans with the mind of a 5 year old :oops:
http://www.poissonrouge.com/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

amyo

#12 Post by amyo »

Hi Makoto,
You are right, it is .gz in Opera and in IE it is .pet.

Thanks Lobster,
Now the kids are glued to the screen.

Amyo :D

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

Amyo,

yes, there was a problem running those games on pup525, due to a missing symlink for libpng.so.3.

If you've installed the SDL.pet, then open a console, (Menu>Utility>Urxvt), then copy the code below, and paste it into the
console by clicking both mouse buttons together, then press enter, most of the SDL-based games should be fine.

Code: Select all

ln -s /lib/libpng12.so.0.42.0 /lib/libpng.so.3

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

Regarding the specific games, linked to above, after installing SDL.pet, and creating the symlink for libpng.so.3, R-Anagram, Bombs,
TuxBlocks, Scalar, LPairs, MartianMemory & DeadlyCobra all worked.

(Although with the last I did get my screen locked needing Control-Alt-Backspace remedy.)

Instead of the 5Ball pet, that you linked to, try this one, as it has a menu entry.

With Armagetron you need a working openGL graphic setup. You could try Menu>Setup>Setup Puppy>Quickpet>Drivers & see if there
are drivers for your graphics card.

With lletters, it will work if you install:

glib12-1.2.10.pet
gtk+12-1.2.10.pet
gdk_pixbuf10-0.22.0.pet
imlib-1.9.15-1.pet

dru5k1

#15 Post by dru5k1 »

another note: PuppyPackageManager can download and install programs/games from the Ubuntu (main,universe,and multiverse) 'repositories' - it's just not enabled by default

In PPM there's a 'Configure Package Manager' button, and in the resulting window there's checkboxes for the Ubuntu repos. Once you've selected these, you'll see them in the top-right of PPM and can choose them and search for games by name (and the fun category?)
(if you don't see them straightaway just restart PPM)

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/childsplay says it recommends childsplay-alphabet-sounds

let's hope I don't break anything here...

amyo

#16 Post by amyo »

Hi muggins,
Thanks, all suggestions worked well.

Amyo :D

dru5k1

#17 Post by dru5k1 »

what games do you have so far?

muggins

#18 Post by muggins »

Good to hear they're working. Yes, have you tried any other games?

amyo

#19 Post by amyo »

Hi,
Installed Gcompris, 5balls, lpairs, tuxblocks, deadly cobra; well now no more time to work with it, kids took over !!

amyo :lol: