Lighthouse 64 5.11 Alpha for 64-bit processors

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

#1 Post by tazoc »

[Edit:] A newer release is available, see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 386#591386
Lighthouse 64 5.11-Alpha
  • Based on Fatdog 64-511 k2.6.35.7 glibc 2.11.1 Xorg-server 1.9.0. Thanks to kirk and jamesbond for their trail-blazing development, leadership and support, and rcrsn51 for CUPS expertise. A lot of hard work went into this and more to come...
  • Lighthouse 64 requires a 64-bit processor. Except for the initial ram disk, parts of Wine and inclusion of some 32-bit libs from LHP 5.03 for minimal legacy support, all apps and libraries were compiled for x86_64.
  • Update 2011.06.16: If you experience a blank screen, problems with rebooting or save file creation, please use these boot options:

LiveCD: type vesa (or puppy nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram) at the boot menu. (In Lighthouse lhp and puppy at the boot menu are interchangeable.)

Grub/universal install: add nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram to the kernel line in menu.lst or syslinux.cfg, etc.

Once a non-vesa display driver is installed and working, you'll want to remove pfix=vesa,ram (or at least ,ram) from the boot options, and in some cases, nomodeset as well after that.
  • Wine-1.3.21-x86_64 with both 64-bit and 32-bit libs, winetricks-2011.04.17
  • Most Fatdog 64-511 Pet packages and SFS files will work in Lighthouse 64. (But not fd64-32-bit-libs.sfs or wine-1.3.8-i486.sfs as that functionality is included in the base ISO.)
  • Experimental access to Slackware64-13.1 and Salix64-13.1 packages in PPM with dependency support, (thanks to 01micko.) Back up your save file first--some packages might be incompatible.
  • LiveCD or new save file required--cannot update a prior 32-bit LHP save file.
  • Please do not rely on this for your primary desktop; it is alpha build quality and has some bugs. Upgrading a save file to a future Lighthouse has not been tested.
  • Boots direct to desktop, Personalize Settings first run dialog, (thanks to Shinobar and gcmartin)
  • New default background and LiveCD boot splash based on artwork by Jasmac
  • Web browsers: Firefox-4.0.1-x86_64 with Lighthouse theme, FireFTP and a few Linux bookmarks. Opera and Chromium browsers in Mariner ISO or d/l with Lighthouse Update.
Release notes, bugs and link to ISOs: http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm

SFS add-ons (The Devx-L64_511.sfs C/C++ compiling environment includes the kernel source)
http://www.lhpup.org/sfs/511-x86_64/

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... g/sfs/500/

-TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Fri 23 Dec 2011, 18:37, edited 4 times in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC,

Great to have you back. Your new Lighthouse 64 5.11 Alpha booted up flawlessly and appears to be working fine. Frugal installation of the Mariner edition on an ext4 partition. Amazing speed and great selection of programs. Lots to check out.

Only problems that I've encountered is that there is not an opportunity offered to create a save file during reboot or shutdown. Also, the Shutdown Menu doesn't work properly, and you have to use Ctrl>Alt>Backspace to reboot or shutdown. :(

Since I could not create a save file, I've also installed it as a full hd installation on another ext4 partition, that installation was flawless and settings are saved properly during reboot. :D Of course, there was a slight problem with the full installation of Mariner since it includes sfs files. Fortunately, 01micko's "Sfs grabber install sfs files" works and was used to convert the sfs files to pets so they could be installed. It did have a problem with Wine, although it is working with theWord, there are no Wine utilities in the menu. Of course, they are found under "Wine>Browse C: Drive", see image. Shutdown menu doesn't work properly with full installation either. :( I can't get to a prompt even with Ctrl>Alt>Backspace. I'll stay with the full hd installation for testing until a save file can be created on the frugal installation.

I believe that this one will be your best ever and I really appreciate the new kernel that allows use of all 8 processors.

Posted from Lighthouse 64 5.11 Alpha.

Cheers, :D :D :D
Jim

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

It looks great tazoc and booted straight to my desktop at 1280x 1024, Lupu and many others cannot do this. I always get 800x600 and have to manually change it.

I can confirm part of jim1911 comments above:
Only problems that I've encountered is that there is not an opportunity offered to create a save file during reboot or shutdown. Also, the Shutdown Menu doesn't work properly, and you have to use Ctrl>Alt>Backspace to reboot or shutdown. :(

It did not give me an option to create a savefile when I rebooted. I was using a live RW DVD. It did however eventually reboot but it did take a long time. I was going to do a cold reboot as I thought it had locked up but I decided to wait, and after about 1-2 minutes it did reboot.

I was a little disappointed as I couldn't get VLC to work. I installed the pet from PPM but but told me QT was missing. I then installed QT and it still did not work. I use VLC for all of my multimedia requirements.

It's looking good, keep up the good work.

tazoc

#4 Post by tazoc »

Hi Jim1911 & smokey01,
Thank you for testing 5.11 Alpha.

I've not been able to reproduce a failure to offer/create save file or reboot... :? Hmm, when rebooting failed or stalled, was the desktop showing or blank screen or anything? To help us solve this, please try the following:

Boot with pfix=ram and once at the desktop, check the Xorg driver in Personalize Settings in the Screen Resolution rh frame near the top. Mine shows:

Code: Select all

X-server: Xorg   Driver: radeon
Then close Personalize Settings and before rebooting, open /usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot with a text editor and insert 'killall xinit &' before line 20 like this:

killall xinit &
killall X #default is SIGTERM.
sleep 1           #v1.0.7
exec killall -9 X #v1.0.7 make sure X is killed.
Then reboot and see if it helps. If not, reboot with pfix=ram and this time edit /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin and comment out line 127 like this:

#110609 TazOC bug fix sometimes Xorg changes fontmap, console/dialog bottom is cut off...
#[ -s /etc/fontmap ] && setfont /lib/consolefonts/$(cat /etc/fontmap).gz
If anyone has some insight on this or a fix, please let us know!

Jim, I have no idea why the Wine menu would disappear, it should be a top-level category just below the Utility category in both the Openbox Menu (left-click on desktop) and the LXPanel Menu (click on Tux.) :idea: Oh, that is with a full install only? I'll explore that further to see if I can fix that.

smokey01, I'll see if I can add the L64 Vlc SFS as a Pet on Lighthouse Update, as the SFS works well here.

Regards,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

smokey01

#5 Post by smokey01 »

tazoc wrote:Hi Jim1911 & smokey01,
Thank you for testing 5.11 Alpha.

I've not been able to reproduce a failure to offer/create save file or reboot... :? Hmm, when rebooting failed or stalled, was the desktop showing or blank screen or anything?
The screen was totally black.
tazoc wrote: To help us solve this, please try the following:

Boot with pfix=ram and once at the desktop, check the Xorg driver in Personalize Settings in the Screen Resolution rh frame near the top. Mine shows:

X-server: Xorg   Driver: radeon
Then close Personalize Settings and before rebooting, open /usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot with a text editor and insert 'killall xinit &' before line 20 like this:

killall xinit &
killall X #default is SIGTERM.
sleep 1           #v1.0.7
exec killall -9 X #v1.0.7 make sure X is killed.
Then reboot and see if it helps. If not, reboot with pfix=ram and this time edit /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin and comment out line 127 like this:

#110609 TazOC bug fix sometimes Xorg changes fontmap, console/dialog bottom is cut off...
#[ -s /etc/fontmap ] && setfont /lib/consolefonts/$(cat /etc/fontmap).gz
If anyone has some insight on this or a fix, please let us know!
Will do.
tazoc wrote: smokey01, I'll see if I can add the L64 Vlc SFS as a Pet on Lighthouse Update, as the SFS works well here.
I was going to try the L64 Vlc SFS but I couldn't create a savefile and as you know you need a save file before you can use SFS files, or have you manage to get around that issue as I noticed Wine booted up from a SFS file during a live boot from a DVD?

Jim1911

#6 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC,

When rebooting or shutdown failed, a blank dark gray screen shows. Sorry, none of the suggested fixes worked.

Although, the desktop appears normal with excellent resolution, the failure on rebooting and shutdown may be due to the inability to detect a video driver for my GeForce 8400 GS Nvidia card as shown in the attached screens. Selecting the Xorgwizard button in Personalize Settings simply restarts X, it does not open Xorgwizard. Then tried Exit to prompt, which highlighted another serious problem, when Exit to a prompt is selected, it just goes to a dark gray screen and freezes. Ctrl>Alt>Backspace does nothing. The only way out to shut power off.

In the outside chance that just the mariner iso is affected, I downloaded and installed the base iso. It has the same problems.

Are there any log files that may help in isolating the problem, they should still be present on the full hd installation?

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
PersonalizeSettings.png
(90 KiB) Downloaded 1414 times
LHvideoreport.png
(58.23 KiB) Downloaded 9249 times

gcmartin

Report LHPUP64-A1 Baseline system report

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Baseline report attached. 1 error. But its NOT a LHPUP64 error.
Hope this helps
Attachments
Hostname is correct - IP Window hostname is incorrect.png
NOT a LHPUP64 error. Hostname is correct from Personalize Settings. The Frisbee IP Report reflects incorrectly.
(85.59 KiB) Downloaded 14752 times
report-video-glx.tar.bz2
Baseline reports - Hardinfo and Video
(103.92 KiB) Downloaded 1204 times

smokey01

#8 Post by smokey01 »

tazoc, I tried both suggestion without luck.

Previously I reported a black screen when in fact it now seems to be grey as jim had stated.

Still no sign of an opportunity to create a save file.

Although my graphic seems to be working perfectly it is reported as unknown, see attachment.
Attachments
video-LHP-64.jpg
(42.37 KiB) Downloaded 14577 times

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

I don't know if this is an Advanced system feature or not, but, I walked away from my LHPUP64 PC for about an hour and come back to find a "lock" in the lower right-hand corner. The system will NOT let me use the keyboard or mouse for ANY purpose. Anyone know what the "release" sequence is?

2nd problem: After boot and completion of Prsonalize Settings, I tried a Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace. It torn down the desktop, to a black screen with no apparent means to access the console on any terminal.
[
3rd problem on 3rd boot: After another boot and completion of Prsonalize Settings, I tried a Ctrl-Alt-F2 thru to Ctrl-Alt-F6: Each terminal showed the LHPUP64 WYSIWYG desktop on screen with no apprent abiltiy to type a text command. The LHPUP64 WYSIWYG desktop also did NOT have a mouse associated with the screen. BUT, when I returned to LHPUP64 desktop via Ctrl-Alt-F7, I had mouse and keyboard as expected.

Thanks in advance

tazoc

#10 Post by tazoc »

@gcmartin,
ipinfo host incorrect confirmed here, thanks. Until that is fixed you can edit /etc/hosts replacing 'Mariner' with the correct host name.

@all,
If I understand correctly, all 3 reports of save file/console/reboot bugs are with NIVIDIA graphics. With that in mind, try these, some of which are displayed when pressing <F2> at LiveCD/DVD boot menu:
  1. If booting from LiveCD, type vesa at boot menu.

If booting via GRUB or other means from hdd, add to the kernel line:

nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram
  2. For NVIDIA graphics cards: [Update: use same as #1 above]
    [Deleted]
  3. LiveCD vesa vga=normal

hdd GRUB: nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram vga=normal or vga=extended
If one of these work and you have created a save file and rebooted, then maybe you can exit X to CL and type

xorgwizard
xwin
or

xorgwizard-puppy
to change the driver and configure screen resolution.

Log/config files that may be helpful:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/initrd/tmp/bootinit.log
/var/log/messages
smokey01 wrote:I was going to try the L64 Vlc SFS but I couldn't create a savefile and as you know you need a save file before you can use SFS files, or have you manage to get around that issue as I noticed Wine booted up from a SFS file during a live boot from a DVD?
If the boot media, e.g. Mariner LiveCD or host partition if booting from hdd, has the Vlc-1.1.7-x86_64.sfs then it can be loaded at first boot and early in boot process you'll be prompted to press Enter within 5 sec to choose which SFS to load.

Or try this Pet: http://www.lhpup.org/update/511/Multime ... x86_64.pet
-TazOC
Last edited by tazoc on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

tazoc

Another idea

#11 Post by tazoc »

If the suggestions in the last post don't help, boot with puppy pfix=ram,nox and type at the console:

mv -f /Startup/fullstart /Startup/DisabledItems/
xwin
That should disable autorun of Personalize Settings, to rule out any problems in that script. Then of course, don't run it manually, instead use other applets in the Setup Menu for settings as needed and reboot.
-TazOC

James C

#12 Post by James C »

Just a quick live pfix=ram test/ hardware check of the base Lighthouse 64 5.11....

Everything (internet,display and sound) working correctly on initial boot.

Mon 13 Jun 2011 Operating System: Lighthouse64-511 Linux 2.6.35.7
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 03d6 (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.9.0
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.8.2

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Core 0: 2611 1: 2611 2: 2611 3: 2611 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

bash-4.1# glxgears
2619 frames in 5.0 seconds = 523.636 FPS
2658 frames in 5.0 seconds = 531.542 FPS
2666 frames in 5.0 seconds = 533.115 FPS
2652 frames in 5.0 seconds = 530.221 FPS
2667 frames in 5.0 seconds = 533.372 FPS
2728 frames in 5.0 seconds = 545.583 FPS
2786 frames in 5.0 seconds = 557.178 FPS

EDIT:

Was unable to save upon reboot here also.
Last edited by James C on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

Yes , the /etc/hosts file was NOT updated when the Personalize Setting ran on desktop start. Like yours, my contents are

bash-4.1# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost Mariner
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4
As I recall (you may need to verify this with Playdayz) the inconsistency was somehow related to ROX slow behavior and Shinobar "may" have made some changes in Personalize Setting to resolve the inconsistency. Both of these were address in PUP525.

Hope this helps
Attachments
LHPUP64 Personalize Settings Setup.png
Change done when desktop reached on boot
(101.43 KiB) Downloaded 14183 times

Billtoo

#14 Post by Billtoo »

Hi tazoc,

I made a vlc-1.1.10-amd64.sfs which also contains the qt471libs, it is
47mb and I tested it in the Lighthouse64 alpha (smallest iso)

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-2d077d19.html

I was able to create a save file, 4GB.
I did a frugal install but not with the universal installer if that makes any difference, used grub4dos as well.

Jim1911

#15 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote: [*]For NVIDIA graphics cards:
LiveCD: vesa nouveau.modeset=0

hdd GRUB: nouveau.modeset=0 pfix=vesa,ram
If that helps, open /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf with a text editor and add this line:

options nouveau modeset=0
[*]LiveCD vesa vga=normal

hdd GRUB: nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram vga=normal or vga=extended [/list]If one of these work and you have created a save file and rebooted, then maybe you can exit X to CL and type

xorgwizard
xwin
or

xorgwizard-puppy
to change the driver and configure screen resolution.
Hi TazOC,

You are on the right track, the code above works and now the Shutdown menu operates correctly. However, I do hope that we will be able to use the vendors nvidia driver so that the cards capability may be utilized.

There is still a problem with a frugal installation, upon reboot a save file is created, but it is not recognized. Therefore, upon reboot it offers to create another save file. I did try renaming the L64save.4fs to L64-save.4fs and then to L64-511save.4fs but "locating main and session files" still did not find any save files.

Since I had edited /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf and added this line:

options nouveau modeset=0
I deleted the added code from menu.lst to see if that was stopping the recognition of the save file. It didn't work though, and would not boot to a desktop.

With the added code to menu.lst, the Shutdown menu is working properly in the full hd installation.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

Well done Tazoc. More 64bit magic. :)

I was able to use browser and mtpaint to create this in the Alpha
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 363#534363

That really is the test for me. Get in and do something.

I had a go with kino - it seemed to be working fine
- I just did not have the skills required . . .
I find Openshot easier but it needs Python :oops:

The only problem I could not import my HTML bookmark file into FF
(it might be corrupt though - this has happened before)

. . . beginning to go off topic . . . I know Lighthouse started
or still is a Christian orientated puplet - so here is something I wrote on Christianity a while back . . .
http://tinyurl.com/5rdmxde
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#17 Post by pemasu »

About Personalize settings and hostname not updated bug. 01mickos post.
Hi shinobar

First time trying the wary quickset edition. Nice job!

I had a reason for trying.. mainly to see if this bug existed, and yes it does. . It also exists in the latest lupu.

I have a fix. Currently at line 1165 in /usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs is:
Code:
# hostname
HOSTNAME=$(keyword $HOSTNAME)
[ "$HOSTNAME" != "" ] || HOSTNAME=$HOSTNAMELAST
if [ "$HOSTNAME" != "$HOSTNAMELAST" ]; then
hostname $HOSTNAME
echo -n $HOSTNAME > /etc/hostname
CHANGES="$CHANGES
$(gettext 'Hostname')"
fi

This fixes it:
Code:
# hostname
HOSTNAME=$(keyword $HOSTNAME)
[ "$HOSTNAME" != "" ] || HOSTNAME=$HOSTNAMELAST
if [ "$HOSTNAME" != "$HOSTNAMELAST" ]; then
hostname $HOSTNAME
echo -n $HOSTNAME > /etc/hostname
OLDHOSTS=`head -n1 /etc/hosts|cut -d ' ' -f3`
sed -i "s/$OLDHOSTS/$HOSTNAME/" /etc/hosts
CHANGES="$CHANGES
$(gettext 'Hostname')"
fi
And Shinobars own fix:
Thanks micko, gcmartin and playdayz. I will incert a code in /usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs at line 1198-:
Code:
echo "127.0.0.1 localhost $HOSTNAME" > /tmp/hosts
grep -vw 'localhost' /etc/hosts >> /tmp/hosts
[ -s /tmp/hosts ] && mv -f /tmp/hosts /etc/hosts
I believe both versions fix the hostname update problem.
AFAIK Shinobar has not posted updated Firstrun pet in the forum. I havent checked his ftp site.

Roy

#18 Post by Roy »

Just a short note to say I am having the same problems with shutdown/save. Appears as if monitor shuts down but computer power has stayed on for >9 hours without responding. Will try suggested actions and report back.

A couple of other (minor) things: Startup screen looks good except for the half-buried LOCK in the bottom right corner; easy to move, since a bit of it shows to let me know it's there... using 1024x768x24 resolution.

Drive icons do not give any indication of mounted/unmounted status. But, I do realize this is an ALPHA at this point and have not participated in alpha testing before.

-Roy

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Tazoc,

All that's necessary to get the Wine desktop items to show up properly in the utility menu of the full hd installation is to change "BuildingBlock" in Categories to "Utility;" or better yet "Wine;Utility;" so they also show up under Wine in the menu.

Too bad, all problems aren't this simple to correct.

Cheers,
Jim

Roy

#20 Post by Roy »

I am attaching my gzipped system logs for help. These were taken via 'puppy pfix=ram' parameter.

I also tried vesa nouveau.modeset=0 boot parameter from my Live CD, but could not get to the desktop. Got only as far as:

X started by /usr/bin/xwin
Exited from X to Command Line.
bash-4.1#

And could not get any further, even when trying 'xwin', 'startx', 'xorgwizard' or 'mv -f /Startup/fullstart /Startup/DisabledItems/ xwin'

One thing, though -- both 'reboot' and the powerdown command would give me the opportunity to create a save file.... I didn't. Should I have created a savefile at this point?

Also, 'puppy pfix=ram' boot parameter DOES get me to the desktop (no save file option) and the partition icons DO indicate mounted/unmounted status in Openbox. Maybe I was using JWM before?

-Roy
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.gz
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
xorg.conf.gz
(410 Bytes) Downloaded 386 times
sys-info-110614.gz
(9.2 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
bootinit.log.gz
(425 Bytes) Downloaded 388 times