Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#621 Post by pemasu »

Radky. Thank you. I will fix that for future versions.

pemasu

#622 Post by pemasu »

I have Barrys jwmconfig2 dated as 29122010 and it should have the fixes for jwm500. Correct me if I need to do something for it also.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#623 Post by Béèm »

radky wrote:
Béèm wrote:5 - default n° of desktops is 4. I went in JWM configuration to reduce to one. The change isn't applied, even after restarting JWM. Kinda annoying.
Prior versions of SnowPuppy use JWM 493.

SnowPuppy-020 is updated to JWM 500, but the jwmrc-personal file in Snowpuppy-020 also needs updating to the corresponding new 'Desktops' format.

In SnowPuppy-020, go to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal and change the following format

Code: Select all

<Desktops count="x"/>
to something like

Code: Select all

<Desktops width="2" height="1"/>
Now, changing the number of Desktops should work properly.
Thank you, that did the trick. Have now 2 high and one width.

It didn't took pemasu long to promise to take care of it. :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jim3630

#624 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. It looks likek some of your installs might have broken synclient.
Copy the original stuff back from /initrd/ro2. There are 4 synclient/syndaemon files in /usr/bin.
pemasu, have all 4 files in /usr/bin/ and continue to receive same error when choose flsynclient configure your touch pad. And the no touch pad option continues to not function properly. in Ice Puppy 14 it continues to function properly.

jim3630

#625 Post by jim3630 »

Béèm wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
Béèm wrote:@jim3630
In this case it isn't relevant to show the complete desktop.
I always crop the image I want to post in mtPaint to the part which is relevant.
If wider then 600 pixels I reduce to 600 pixels wide.
understand the relevance it's a matter of proficiency.
One is never too old to learn. :wink:
age a summation of perception. :wink: But learning is one of the "L" words. Very important words such as life, love, longevity, and of course learning.

pemasu

#626 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-020 has been reuploaded. Cosmetic fixes only. I also changed Icewm default font size to smaller one. /root/.icewm/prefoverride is the file to edit.
I updated also the Quickpet to the 4.5 version.

pemasu

#627 Post by pemasu »

Latest Fotoxx compiled in Snow Puppy.

http://kornelix.squarespace.com/fotoxx/

If you need to edit tags, then install the Exiftool.pet

If you need to convert Raw camera images to .tiff format, then you also need to install both ufraw and libgtkimageview from the ubuntu repos.

JimCockfield

#628 Post by JimCockfield »

Please forgive me if this had already been answered.

But, could someone tell me how to control power related features in Snow Puppy 020 (or other Puppy distros)? I see that the screen goes dark after approx. 9 minutes (power unplugged, running from battery)

But, it never seems to go into any kind of suspend mode (even with the cover shut). I found an icon in the tray that you can click and select between "Power Saving", "Balanced" or Performance", and clicked on the Power Saving choice. But,I can't tell that it actually does anything (screen stays on full brightness for approx. 9 minutes before going black, and then nothing further ever happens, even when closing the lid.

Note that this is an Eee PC 900 16G.

pemasu

#629 Post by pemasu »

First you need to activate Menu > System > System status and config > CPU frequency scaling tool. Select first demand, performance or power sawing option.

After that you have cpu governing working and it will be used in subsequent boots. Now the tray lightning icon works to change your cpu power usage. You can see the difference from the thermometer of temperature change. At least I see it with quad core immediately when switching from power saving to the performance. Same thermometer shows also the cpu frequency used and is clear indicator of cpu frequency. That tray icon does not change anything else than cpu frequency used.

Screen lightness has little battery saving effect in laptops.

Suspend to ram works for me from the sleep button in my laptop. Also the lid closing suspends to ram aka shuts down my laptop. Probably your laptop does not accept the parameters i have installed to Snow Puppy.

You can do it also from the console: #acpitool -s

To see your laptop power usage, from Menu > System > Powertop, you can see your power usage when in battery mode and also get tips to prolong your battery time.

Puppeee probably has best support for Eee netbooks. You will need Eee spesific support to have all functions working.
http://puppeee.com/web/
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59556

JimCockfield

#630 Post by JimCockfield »

Great. I found the function key for sleep (Fn + blue Zz) and it works, as does using acpitool -s from a terminal. I've never used either way before (as closing the lid usually works with most other distros, but that's not working with Puppy (at least not with Lupu 5.25 or Snow Puppy 020).

I'll just use the function key for that purpose going forward if there's no config file that I can edit to get it working with a lid close.

As for Puppeee... I did try it some time back. But, i no longer remember what it was I didn't like about it.

So, I started using other distros instead -- mostly SimplyMEPIS versions (and even the latest Mepis 11 with KDE 4 runs on it), since I use Mepis on my Desktop as well as my wife's laptop.

But, the SSD failed in my Eee PC 900 16G (which I like to use from time to time) and I'm trying to run linux from an SDHC card now (which is a bit on the slow side with a larger distro).

So, I'm searching for distros that run faster on it, and it looks like Snow Puppee may work out.

Thanks.

JimCockfield

#631 Post by JimCockfield »

pemasu wrote:...You will need Eee spesific support to have all functions working...
BTW, I had always assumed that to be the case. I got the Eee PC 900 16G a few years back with an Eee PC specific version of Xandros on it (usiing a Debian base under the covers), and eventually started trying some of the the other Eee PC specific distros on it (with tweaked kernels, etc.) as they became available.

But. then someone mentioned that I should try Mint 8 on it, and sure enough, everything I used worked fine (including function keys for sound, screen brightness, etc.). Eventually, I got around to trying SimplyMEPIS on it, too (Mepis 8 and 8.5), since I've used Mepis since version 3.3 on other desktops and laptops. Sure enough, those worked fine on it. lol

So, I was worried about needing Eee PC specific distros for nothing (not to mention that I'm not very fond of netbook specific UIs like the Ubuntu Netbook inteface used by distros like Eeebuntu, etc..). I should have tried other distros sooner, versus sticking to distros targeting Eee PC models.

Now, perhaps some Eee PC specific stuff doesn't work. But, the basic things do (sound, wireless, screen resolution, touchpad, function keys for volume, brightness) in a number of distros I've tried on it, with the main difference between them being performance (and Puppy derivatives tend to have an advantage in that area).

majorfoo

#632 Post by majorfoo »

Due to the large size of distro and amount of time it takes to download each new iso release (especially on dialup), would it be possible to provide delta file containing only changes from release to release?

thanks
majorfoo

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#633 Post by Béèm »

@JimCockfield
Some laptop's have such settings in the bios also.
You always can look for your model if this is the case.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jim3630

#634 Post by jim3630 »

jim3630 wrote:
pemasu wrote:Jim3630. It looks likek some of your installs might have broken synclient.
Copy the original stuff back from /initrd/ro2. There are 4 synclient/syndaemon files in /usr/bin.
pemasu, have all 4 files in /usr/bin/ and continue to receive same error when choose flsynclient configure your touch pad. And the no touch pad option continues to not function properly. in Ice Puppy 14 it continues to function properly.
downloaded latest sp20 iso and copied the puppy_lupu_020.sfs to my frugal hdd install with the prior safefile. the above problem continues and after deleting the app from the built in packages flsynclient continues to give message restartx.

pemasu, now unable to turn off the keypad which is my custom. any suggestions to get rid of this daemon/devil? :D

pemasu

#635 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. I dont know what has screwed synclient behavior in your savefile. To get it back might be difficult. Working synclient depends on those 4 files, synaptics driver and there are udev rules also which affect.

pemasu

#636 Post by pemasu »

I could provide delta files also. I have just been lazy. Will do so in the future.

jim3630

#637 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. I dont know what has screwed synclient behavior in your savefile. To get it back might be difficult. Working synclient depends on those 4 files, synaptics driver and there are udev rules also which affect.
oh, new savefile will do it? have pets in separate dir so if starting new savefile will fix it then it's easy to do.

pemasu

#638 Post by pemasu »

All right now I had time to do Quickpet problem fixing. I started quickpet in console and then I clicked the More Pets option. Command gtkmoz not found was the error.
Well, I copied /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz from lucid 525 and voila, Quickpet works. Lucid news started to work also. The solution was so simple.

The missing script is in the attached pet.
Attachments
quickpet_fix-0.0.1.pet
(690 Bytes) Downloaded 474 times

pemasu

#639 Post by pemasu »

JimCockfield. /etc/acpi/lid.sh is the controlling script. You could check from your Puppeee if you still have it what script governs the lid closing in it.
You could swap the contents of Snow Puppy script with the script in Puppeee. Or replace the governing scripts more profoundly if they works better with your Eee netbook.
You can get the original scripts back from /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/acpi. They are there as read only state so they are unchanged always.
I dont have Puppeee downloaded and not have time now to do it. And it would need Eee netbook to test anyway. I wont ever go smaller than 15 " laptop. Well, not promising but I have stuck with that decision latest 6 years. I have now Acer 5820TG quad core and it is astonishingly light. And it has been good work horse for compiling also with quad core at full speed.

JimCockfield

#640 Post by JimCockfield »

Thanks.

I have no idea what I did with my last Puppee download (it's been a while and it would be on a backup somewhere). If I get a chance, I may download it again and see what I can find for differences between scripts.

But, it's really not a big deal since the sleep button does work on it (I can just use that before closing the lid if I don't want to shut it down).

BTW, I do not see any BIOS options related to power management or having anything to do with a lid close.

Yea... I'm not very fond of this Eee PC's size. It is a bit too small for my liking, as I tend to "fat finger" the keys since they're too close together on a keyboard this small, slowing down how fast I can type dramatically.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get something larger. But, it doesn't get used that often.