The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1761 Post by playdayz »

- will the 5.25 be supported for long time? Or will it be superceded by 5.26 in 4 weeks time (I am running 5.20 since it's release, and would move to 5.25 if it this was the long time support version, and I could look forward to a growing and maintained SFS/PET library).
- is there going to be a Puppy 5.3 series, or Puppy 6 series.
- are there plans to merge Barry's puppies back into mainstream ... or the 5 series into Barries puppies ?
I think there is something of a master plan, as much as you can have with a bunch of raving anarchists ;-) But there is a lot of openeness to the future also.

Lucid 5.2.5 is finished. There are no plans to release any more Lucid Puppies. It is also a Ubuntu Long Term Support release so I plan to keep maintaining the LupuNews and the puppy-lucid repo in the Puppy Package Manager for at least a year--not always at the same pace--I have been doing a lot the last couple of weeks in terms of the available packages.

Yes, in 4.3.1 there was only one mainstream Puppy and Barry was the man. Barry needs more freedom than to be tied down to debugging one release after another--he is the idea man!

Right now on puppylinux.com Barry lists two "official releases."

LATEST VERSIONS: Lucid 5.2.5, Wary 5.1.2

Wary for older hardware and Lucid for current hardware. There are other differences--Wary is more a "standard" Puppy for instance.

In addition to these there are the many great Puppy "derivatives." Puppies of all breeds and colors ;-)

At some point, afaik, Barry will designate a new official Puppy. He may choose for that to replace Lucid, or he may add one to the list. Barry is still the man for decisions like that. Either way, Lucid will be maintained for the year or so. IMHO, Lucid is a very usable Puppy, well-tested, reasonably stable, with a good amount of software available. With that said, for many people, testing and using the many available Puppies is part of the fun.

Your question gave me this idea.
I just answered a message from a person who was worried about "investing in the wrong Puppy" meaning, in the past 4.3.1 was clearly the one official Puppy--now it is different. Plus, there are worries when updating the something could go wrong and crater one's data.

This is a big project--not simple--but maybe worth discussing: a separate sfs file for data. Currently the modifications one makes to Puppy, by adding pets, etc., and one's data are kept in the same sfs file--and it is the one that is updated with a new Puppy. But if there was separate sfs for data then one could boot any Puppy and work on that same data, and upgrading any Puppy would not touch the sfs file with one's data in it. One can do something similar now by keeping data in /mnt/home--but I am thinking less experienced users might not understand that and it might be better to do it automatically. Barry would have to do this in the scripts--I am not even sure about the details.One thing, the user would have to choose, because Puppy will not know the difference between data and a new pet file for instance.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 17:27, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#1762 Post by playdayz »

VLC info.

The VLC that is working in the Lucid PPM for 1.1.5 VLC is vlc-1.1.5-w5. That is the one Barry built for Wary. It has the Qt stuff added to it for the lucid pet.

I mention this because it might be useful to anyone trying to make or compile a newer VLC for Lucid--to use the build parameters from the vlc-1.1.5-w5 vlc.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

#1763 Post by Billtoo »

I made an sfs of the latest vlc-1.1.10, it's large at 42mb but it
contains the qt473 libs that vlc needs to work.

It needs the xorg-high driver installed from quickpet or the nvidia or
ati proprietary driver for your graphics card.

Maybe backup your savefile just to be safe.

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-075c652d.html

playdayz

#1764 Post by playdayz »

VLC-1.1.10

Billtoo Rulez!

"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." --Thomas Edison

I made a pet with a couple of tiny changes--now available in PPM

1. /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop - Change exec from vlc %U to just vlc (otherwise vlc will try and fail to open %U--it will still start though)

2. also in vlc.desktop change icon from vlc to vlc.png (this is to make sure there is a menu icon in jwm)

3. copy vlc.png to /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons (this is to make sure there is a menu icon in jwm)

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.pet

playdayz

#1765 Post by playdayz »

This is the final release of Seamonkey 2.1, compiled in lucid 5.2.5 for i686 cpu's and with the highest level of optimization (-O3). The 4009 score is for Seamonkey 2.1 compiled with -march=amdfam10--that is, for AMD Phenoms. The 3751 score is for the i686 version of Seamonkey 2.1--which is the one available here. The generic version scores in the low 3600's. The generic version of Firefox 4.0.1 also scores in the low 3600's. Seamonkey 2.0.14 lags well behind.) This Seamonkey 2.1 works in both Lucid and Slacko.

Seamonkey 2.1 (no dbus) -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 1-i686.pet

You can compile Seamonkey for your cpu with the instructions for compiling Firefox (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67756). You can get the seamonkey source from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... ce.tar.bz2 You need to change the configure command to

Code: Select all

# ./configure --enable-application=suite --prefix=/usr
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 19:59, edited 6 times in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1766 Post by Béèm »

playdayz,
I did already install different SeaMonkey's in different directories from the corresponding binary tar and always could execute them by clicking on the seamonkey-bin.

But not with the final 2.1
After having taking care of the missing lib's clicking on 2.1's seamonkey-bin opens the installed 2.0.14

I am puzzled.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#1767 Post by playdayz »

playdayz,
I did already install different SeaMonkey's in different directories from the corresponding binary tar and always could execute them by clicking on the seamonkey-bin.

But not with the final 2.1
After having taking care of the missing lib's clicking on 2.1's seamonkey-bin opens the installed 2.0.14
In Lucid 5.2.5? Or Slacko? I haven't found any missing libs in either 5.2.5 or Slacko???

I have been starting them by clicking on the seamonkey in each directory and not on seamonkey-bin. However, if 2.0.14 was already running, then clicking on the seamonkey in any directory would start another instance of 2.0.14. That happened to me yesterday. Could that be it?

cowboy

usb flashing

#1768 Post by cowboy »

On one machine, I boot from Live CD, with a savefile on an interior HD. I also have a usb stick plugged in from time to time with nothing but data, and a USB hard drive attached that I use for backups.

With Lucid 5.2.5, I notice that both the USB stick and the external HD lights flash, constantly. Doesn't happen on 5.2 or with 5.1.1. I'm assuming some soft of check is being done on the drives, and that is what I'm seeing. Might anyone have any ideas to prevent the flashing or read on these external drives?

EDIT and ADDED: Actually, happens with 5.1.1, 5.2, and newest slacko. Appears to just be something to do with USB drives. IF I have a stick in, and boot up, this occurs, even on the always present USB hard drive. IF I boot up without the USB stick, the USB hard drive is quiet. Don't understand it, but it doesn't seem too big a deal. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
Last edited by cowboy on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 14:06, edited 4 times in total.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

cowboy

seamonkey 2.1

#1769 Post by cowboy »

Playdayz

Seamonkey 2.1 is something. The speed difference feels remarkable.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

Jades

Re: serial mouse?

#1770 Post by Jades »

Janko Weber wrote:The main trouble I have is that mostly serial mouse does not work if desktop is loaded.
I'm a little confused as to why you're using a serial mouse, I've probably missed the reason. Does your machine not have PS/2 ports?
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#1771 Post by Jades »

Brown Mouse wrote:I have found that I'm unable to mount a 4.7gb DVD-R containing photos in Puppy 5.25 and 5.20.
Does that machine also run Windows and if it does can it read the disc in it? Reason I ask is that my K6 2 machine has a Hitachi GD-5000 DVD-ROM, and it came out before the 4.7GB DVD-R standard was released and therefore can't read them.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Brown Mouse

#1772 Post by Brown Mouse »

Jades wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:I have found that I'm unable to mount a 4.7gb DVD-R containing photos in Puppy 5.25 and 5.20.
Does that machine also run Windows and if it does can it read the disc in it? Reason I ask is that my K6 2 machine has a Hitachi GD-5000 DVD-ROM, and it came out before the 4.7GB DVD-R standard was released and therefore can't read them.
Jades

Yes, that's the odd thing.Even without the disc being closed off as Minnesota suggested,the disc can be read in Win7 and also my Win xp setup on the same computer..

playdayz

#1773 Post by playdayz »

I just noticed that Puppy is #8 in Distrowatch,and a healthy #8, well ahead of #9. After the release of 5.2.5 I quit checking DW so this is a very pleasant surprise--I had just assumed we went back down to 9. This means Puppy has climbed from 10 to 8 in the last year. Everyone who has participated in Lucid has had a hand in that. And not only Lucid but Wary and Quirky as well. Congratulations to us all.

Oh, and I saw something else too. Congratulations to prit and runtt21.

majorfoo

#1774 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:This is the final release of Seamonkey 2.1, compiled in lucid 5.2.5 for i686 cpu's and with the highest level of optimization (-O3).

Seamonkey 2.1 [/b]-> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Seamo ... 1-i686.pet

Thanks for the new seamonkey 2.1.
I removed seamonkey 2.011 from my hd install and installed the new 2.1 version. Works great and very fast.

majorfoo

DM was on fire!

#1775 Post by DM was on fire! »

Hi guys. I don't feel up to going through this many pages of stuff lol

Am I the only one who has an issue typing on OpenBox unless my caps lock is on?
I mean, I'm very likely to install Xfce on here assuming it will will work, but it's still a little unnerving. The sole reason I picked OpenBox as my WM is I don't like JWM. I find it ugly. lol

ETA - Had the issue after about twenty minutes on Xfce 4.4. :\

Aitch

#1776 Post by Aitch »

When the disc is inserted,the desktop drive icon is present and identified as 'sr0' but when I click on it cant mount it.
The disc is multisession and was burnt using Nero in Win7.Could this be the reason??
Are there any other ways to go about mounting it?
Any help or ideas appreciated thank you.
It might be a firmware issue....may need updating?

AFAIK, unclosed discs can only be read in the same hardware that it was written in, but I don't think it's OS sensitive, I think its hardware related......but someone else may know different?

Aitch :)

stu90

#1777 Post by stu90 »

News-0.5.0 - scrolling rss news ticker

Doesn't seem to work in JWM but does in openbox.

screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/D1ChV.jpg
Attachments
news-0.5.0-0.pet
(87.63 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

ETP

News-0.5.0 - scrolling rss news ticker

#1778 Post by ETP »

stu90,

Great find and easily as good as the BBC ticker if not better. Happy to report that it works with IceWM and Chromium-10.0.630.0. I configured the browser as “defaultbrowser
Attachments
image-1.png
(178.97 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times

DM was on fire!

#1779 Post by DM was on fire! »

Disregard my post. It randomly started working.
I have no idea why though?
Aitch wrote:
When the disc is inserted,the desktop drive icon is present and identified as 'sr0' but when I click on it cant mount it.
The disc is multisession and was burnt using Nero in Win7.Could this be the reason??
It might be a firmware issue....may need updating?

AFAIK, unclosed discs can only be read in the same hardware that it was written in, but I don't think it's OS sensitive, I think its hardware related......but someone else may know different?

Aitch :)
Could be an issue with the disk. Not sure.
Have you tried to mount it via Pmount?

bigpup

#1780 Post by bigpup »

Nero could be the cause of this.
If it is not a full retail version of Nero.
If it is a version of Nero, you got with your computer or by buying a CD/DVD burner, they will not give you a full version of Nero. It will be purposely limited on what it can do and what it will work on.
You would think they would make it burn media so it will work on anything, but I am not so sure.
I got a copy of Nero with a DVD burner drive.
Tried to use it on another computer with a different DVD burner drive.
Nero would not work at all.
Somehow it was linked to the DVD burner drive it was bundled with.