Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 09:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
VBox 3.2.8 running on lupu 5.2.5
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
tim0thy

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2011, 02:30    Post subject:  VBox 3.2.8 running on lupu 5.2.5
Subject description: none

I can't help thinking this ought to be easy, but it's not.

About a day or 2 ago I decided that I wanted to have a personal windows environment on a USB stick so that I could do stuff during my lunch break without having to rely on the required software being on the host or me having to install it - basically w2k or windows xp on a stick.

Soon found out you can't simply run a windows environment from a USB stick. But Linux, yes! Tried Lubuntu: it just doesn't have persistence. Luckily, came across a post on a Ubuntu forum that said "Puppy does it right". Got Puppy working - and persistence. Next, VBox under Puppy. Another post stated, "Sometimes, .debs just don't work" So I figured I needed an SFS or a .pet. The hours it takes just to even discover these things is phenomenal, I can see why people give up on Linux and use Windows. Another posting or 25 later and I found a VBox 3.2.x .pet - hurrah! And it works!

But now I have to learn all about building .pets so I can use VBox 3.2.12 - sigh...

Thank you, TheAsterisk!,
http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/PuppyLinux/asterisk/VirtualBox/VBox-3.2.8/
Darkgame

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2011, 08:04    Post subject:  

TheAsterisk! had created vbox 4.0.6 if you did not noticed. And you might want to try out vmware player (imma big fan!)
it boots slow, about 5 to 15 minutes, but it can play ALOT of games if you have your graphic driver installed.
And, you might want to try wine. Definitely better than vbox or vmware.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to: