Dpup: Squeezed Puppy 4.99.2 bug reports and feedback :)

Please post any bugs you have found
ttuuxxx

#21 Post by ttuuxxx »

nooby wrote:I feel very unsure about this. How do I know he just not set it up like that so I expect too much.

It failed on my gear to play any music video clip from youtube. While his Wary play almost all and most other puppies does too.

Maybe he wants me to dl the needed music player? So I have no idea.

Picture viewing was different too. one could not use + or - to change the size of the picture.
Yes the picture viewer needs to be changed it does have fotoxx and mtpaint in the menu, either would make a better viewer. hmmm a bit late to test youtube, I already compiled/installed ffmpeg + others.
But other than that it ran ok on your pc?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

I guess his priority where to get access to Debian repo the highest priority.
That is totally okay with me. if one know this at boot :)

Like other Debian the JMW is set to not allow 1024 x 768 if one screen of two has only 600 resolution while Lupu don't care about such and if I chose 1024 x 768 then it force that one on both screens I guess and I prefer it that way.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#23 Post by Béèm »

I installed FRUGAL Lin'N'Win.

First problem: After selecting probe I only got to the X-prompt.
I then typed xorgwizard and did take choose and then the radeon driver.
I got the desktop then.

Second problem:
The X-keyboard stayed us altho I configured latin1-be.
But in the X-prompt the keyboard is latin1-be. Don't see how I can get the correct keyboard.

I then rebooted and was prompted for a save file. When entering the save file name I realized the keyboard was latin1-be. Well.

So not very usable for me.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Jim1911

#24 Post by Jim1911 »

Frugal installation on an ext3 partition. Booted fine with an nv driver, hope that a nvidia driver will be available soon. Everything appears to be working on my hardware.

Only issue so far is that a user name and password are required to install a printer. Anyone remember those?

Thanks,
Jim

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#25 Post by Béèm »

I have seen posts about this.
Try searching with the puppysearch link in my sig on password cups
Time savers:

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

Printer issues were discussed in the previous squeeze thread. Karl Godt provided solution in that thread and it worked for me when I made experimental squeeze build using Iguleders work.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 013#454013

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#453676

vanchutr

#27 Post by vanchutr »

1) Thank you Béèm and Pemasu
Solved Printer's Prob in Sqzd Pup

2) Connect to Internet via 3G USB ZTE MF100 RoHS: Good

Béèm

#28 Post by Béèm »

vanchutr wrote:1) Thank you Béèm and Pemasu
Solved Printer's Prob in Sqzd Pup

2) Connect to Internet via 3G USB ZTE MF100 RoHS: Good
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Time savers:

stu90

#29 Post by stu90 »

Hi tuuxxx,

regarding the xorgwizard:
In woof i swapped squeezed xorg_base package for lucid525 xorg_base package and i am now able to get to the desktop with xorgwizard / probe with out getting dropped back to prompt or having to select a driver.

Here is both xorg_base packages in case you want to compare.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gbr7pdt0p ... ase.tar.gz

cheers.

mikeslr

#30 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Just starting to explore Squeezed Puppy. Like Beem, I have Ati Raedon so had to "choose" it from the initial Xorgwizard routine. I discovered that by accident. Initially, I must have accidentally selected Vesa. I didn't realize it until I had created a Savefile. On reboot, seeing that the desktop icons were too large and unable to find a way reduce them I tried to re-run Xorgwizard. Squeeze wouldn't let me. That's the important point.
Booted into another Puppy, deleted the SaveFile and rebooted, this time selecting "choose." Selecting "probe" resulted in "fbdev" being offered, with like results to Ttuuxxx's.
So hopefully, Stu90's solution will resolve all Xorg issues.
As I run four XP app under wine, and Opera and Firefox from mnt/home, I installed greendome's Wine-1.3.13-Lucid52.pet, and then ran a pet I created that installs one XP app, creates a menu entry for it, and menu entries the three XP portables and Opera and Firefox all on mnt/home. The pet was created in Snowpuppy: Lucid 5,11. Ran into one hitch. The Opera.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and/or the script in /my-applications/bin to call Opera were not recognized. Deleted them and ran the Opera_extra_distros.pet DaveS created, which worked. Not sure why 5 scripts would work and 1 won't. Is Squeeze using a different BASH?
At any rate, both Opera 11 (downloaded and unpacked from Opera) and Firefox 4 (downloaded and unpacked from Mozilla) now work, including Flash.
By the way, if you run wine, try Foxit Reader portable. It's far superior to any other pdf reader: permits highlighting and annotations.

Really looking forward to developments of this puppy.

mikeslr

Added: Just tried to add mtpaintsnapshot to the tray. Initially got an unrecognizable icon without tool tip which did nothing. Figuring I did something wrong, I tried to edit it. Lost the tray entirely. Will have to delete SaveFile and start again. Should have created a protected SaveFile before exploring an "alpha" puplet.

Edit: Re "not being able to re-run Xorgwizard" -- I was used to separate menu entry. One has to select "Wizard Wizard" to reach it.
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 23 May 2011, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#31 Post by aarf »

Code: Select all

VIDEO REPORT: Squeezed Puppy, version 4.99.2

Chip description:
 Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
 Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution:  Depth 24  Depth: "Display"
network wizard connected wifi after second attempt. then dropped connection and required two more trys to get it connected again. frisbee is best.
continually flickering of text under/for "install" desktop icon. sometimes spreads to flicker other desktop-text.never seen this in any puppy before.

as with other woofs the initial mouseover info screen doesnt fit the screen.
pushing a window through the top of the screen drops it tthe bottom of the screen. i dont like it. cant see the bottom of big windows.
clicking "filename" in pfind doesnt sort the results by name.
mostly ok though.

mikeslr

Modifications of Xorgwizard & jwm config are required

#32 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All again,

After deleting SaveFile and rebuilding, I've explored some more. From prior posts, including my own experience, Xorgwizard currently does not ID the correct video driver. The work-around was to use the "choose" option == not particularly newby friendly. I'll add, that even doing so does not produce 100% acceptable results. My monitor will display at 1600 x 900: something all other Puppys enable. In Squeezed, selecting that resolution only results in a display of 1152 x 864.
Stu90's solution requires a woof rebuild. Also not very newby friendly. Is a modification via pet possible?

After rebuilding of SaveFile (and creation of protected copy while running another puppy) I again tried to add mtpaintsnapshot to jwm's tray. Same results: meaningless icon, no tooltip, clicking does nothing. I'll try to figure out how to install openbox --which from Lupus I decided is just as useful as jwm-- and see if it solves "apps in tray" problem.

I Just tried to open a spreadsheet on an ntfs partition. Squeezed reported error. Partition, directory & file opened, but the latter as "read-only." Note, I did not select "fido."

Still looking forward to developments as Squeezed seems to boot faster than others, and dpups seem (on the whole) to run better on my systems. Beyond that, with Ubuntu having decided that bloat is user friendly, debian IMHO remains the best source to woof.

[Side note for devs: Latest incarnation of Linux Mint has a new APT utility which will download (without installing) an application with ALL its dependencies. Perhaps it can be of some use if you don't mind running Mint. Or better yet, if it can be run in Puppy. But as this area is beyond my technical level, I've no way of comparing its utility to iguleder's pbthing].

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should test next, other than printers & scanners which I don't have connected? Would it be best to check fundamentals (which? how?) and then woof a new base ISO?

mikesLr

James C

#33 Post by James C »

I grabbed an old Windows 98 box off the shelf so....... Squeezed 4.99.2 live pfix=ram.

Everything working on boot, internet, display and sound.

VIDEO REPORT: Squeezed Puppy, version 4.99.2

Chip description:
oem: ATI MACH64

Driver used by Xorg:
mach64

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 16 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Celeron (Mendocino)
Memory : 385MB (124MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 24 May 2011 02:48:13 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI

-Processor-
Name : Celeron (Mendocino)
Family, model, stepping : 6, 6, 5 (Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron)
Vendor : Intel
-Configuration-
Cache Size : 128kb
Frequency : 434.36MHz
BogoMIPS : 868.71
Byte Order : Little Endian

Ethernet controller : ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
Multimedia audio controller : Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97]
VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC AGP

cagwait

Dpup: Squeezed Puppy 4.99.2 bug reports and feedback :)

#34 Post by cagwait »

Successfully ran live via Cd. Video works , sounds works connects to wired internet on boot.
No media player as stated in the announcemont but ppm debian repos appears to work ok so i installed ffmpeg, mp3 now play ok, also installed debians branded ffox iceweasel browser, runs well.
however on my live run clicking on the desktop calendar icon to open osmo nothing happens, is anybody else having this problem?

mikeslr

Problems with Boot & adding mtpaintsnapshot to tray

#35 Post by mikeslr »

I'm not sure what happened. After creating a SaveFile, Squeezed hung while booting. Required a hard reset. The second time it hung, I booted into any Puppy OS, deleted my active SaveFile, and copied my protected SaveFile to the active position. Booted OK.

Among the things I do is add a screenshot app to the tray so I don't have to wade thru menus when I want to use it. I attempted to add mtpaintshapshot.sh, but nothing happened. So I downloaded Pupsnap and was able to add it to the tray.

This is probably NOT a Squeezed problem. The reason I decided to try Pupsnap is because Snowpuppy 018 has both screenshot apps and I was similarly unable to add mtpaintsnapshot to its tray, but could add Pupsnap. Note, both Squeezed and Snowpuppy 018 were using JWM as its window manager.

If no one else has had a problem with adding apps to JWM's tray, I'll assume its an mtpaint or mikesLr problem.

mikesLr

jim3630

#36 Post by jim3630 »

Hi, like to try but wl driver not included. tried Piratesmack pet driver guide but too much lack of skill on this end. Do you have a wl driver pet? thanks jim

sszindian

Cups Login

#37 Post by sszindian »

Has anyone figured out why-
Id: root
Password: woofwoof

won't let you into the Admin part of cups to configure a printer?

I looked at the 'go to treads' on page 2 here, tried the config's recommended but that didn't seem to work either?

Do we need a different version of cups or something?

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

Re: Cups Login

#38 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:Do we need a different version of cups or something?
Try this.

1. Run

Code: Select all

rm /usr/share/ghostscript/8.15
2. Go here and get CUPS 1.3.11. Just install Items 1, 2 and 5.

3. Download an older version of Ghostscript from here.

You may need to clear your browser's cache to make the new CUPS web pages display properly.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 23:41, edited 3 times in total.

sszindian

Cups Login

#39 Post by sszindian »

Gave that a try rcrsn51... Same thing happens, root and woofwoof won't let me log-in to config a printer!

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
cups-admin.png
(9.76 KiB) Downloaded 1233 times

rcrsn51

#40 Post by rcrsn51 »

Gave that a try rcrsn51... Same thing happens, root and woofwoof won't let me log-in to config a printer!
I just did a fresh install of sqzd-4.99.2 and it worked fine for me.