How to install Wine in Puppy 4.3.1?

Booting, installing, newbie
jokersloose

How to install Wine in Puppy 4.3.1?

#1 Post by jokersloose »

OK so I got 4.3.1 to install. Now I"m trying to get the 2010 Watchtower CD Rom to install via Wine. I followed the directions listed here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=341360

But when I click of "Use Command" nothing happens.

Thanks,

James

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

You have to be much more precise and describe the exact steps you took and what you see on the screen.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jokersloose

#3 Post by jokersloose »

OK I downloaded wine from here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=341360

Inserted the Watchtower CD Rom, once it showed on my desk top I opened it. Once opened I "Right clicked" the "Setup.exe" then picked "File Setup.exe" Then "Set Run Action" where it says "Enter Shell Command" there was by default "$@" with the "" already in place. I typed wine as directed and clicked "Use Command" and nothing happens. The hard drive doesn't work the CD drive doesn't do anything no install icon shows up on the desktop.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks

James

PS: When I go to Utility's it doesn't give me version of wine just says Wine.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

I asked for the exact steps you took and what you see on the screen.
Your reply is insufficient.
Also the specs of your machine, how you installed, which type.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

chiron

#5 Post by chiron »

When you click on 'use command' usually nothing happens. It is like a 'save' button. The next time you click on the *.exe file, it should start with wine. If it does not, you might want to check out what happens when you start it in a console window, whether it generates error messages.

jokersloose

#6 Post by jokersloose »

I should know this but how do I try too load it in console?

chiron

#7 Post by chiron »

open your console,
type wine /mnt/sr1/setup.exe
where sr1 is your CD drive.
then there will show some lines of text, most likely error messages, or the program will eventually start. If you get error messages, you can post them here, and somebody might be able to help you.

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

If you can access the Wine Configuration dialog, and click on the About tab, what version of Wine does it report?

The .pet version of Wine linked to in the post you mention above, dates back to at least 2009, based on the post date (the one with the link to the .pet). Just to be safe, you might uninstall the version of Wine you have installed, and get a more recent build from this topic (the current (non-stable, but don't let that scare you... the latest stable version is available there, too) version there is 1.3.21; green_dome usually compiles the latest versions).
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

jokersloose

#9 Post by jokersloose »

OK so I got it installed. I uninstalled wine and re-installed and it worked that time. Now I can't get it too run.

Did this: Edit icon that appears in root box (File folder on Desktop)- with right button on icon choice edit with geany or open As Text- into line Exec erase everything and change to
Exec=wine start wtlibrary.exe

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Watchtower Library 2010 - English
Exec=wine start wtlibrary.exe
Type=Application
StartupWMClass=Wine
Path=/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Watchtower/MEPS Platform 2.3
Icon=7e76_wtlibrary.0
Did this as well:
After it, you can rename the icon - right button on icon choice rename and erase (.Desktop) from it, nothing more. Done, drag-and-drop to Desktop.
Now you can use the icon.

Watchtower Library 2010 - English
I draged and droped to the desk top but nothing.

When I click the icon either on the desk top or in the home folder the hard drive light blinks like it working on something but nothing opens.

Thanks again,

James

chiron

#10 Post by chiron »

jokersloose wrote: When I click the icon either on the desk top or in the home folder the hard drive light blinks like it working on something but nothing opens.
James
It appears that it tries to start but then halts with some error. It would help, if you try to start it in a console window and post the error messages here.

jokersloose

#11 Post by jokersloose »

Im sorry but what is the command to run it?

chiron

#12 Post by chiron »

if wtlibrary is somewhere in your path, the following will do.

wine start wtlibrary.exe

if the above produces an error message that file wtlibrary.exe is not found, you need to specify the path to it:

wine /root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Watchtower/MEPS Platform 2.3/wtlibrary.exe

alternatively:

wine "c:\Program Files\Watchtower\MEPS Platform 2.3\wtlibrary.exe"

where the " are essential

(all in one line!) then watch out for error messages.

jokersloose

#13 Post by jokersloose »

OK so this one

wine start wtlibrary.exe

Produced a ton of error lines.

chiron

#14 Post by chiron »

sure, if it hadn't the program would have started. How about posting them here, so we can see, what is keeping it from starting?

if you append a >errors.txt to your line, like:

wine start wtlibrary.exe >errors.txt

all the output (i.e. error messages) will be written to the file errors.txt, and it is easier to copy them into a forum post. Or just attach the file for that matter.

jokersloose

#15 Post by jokersloose »

So I enter

wine start wtlibrary.exe >errors.txt 

into consol it puts a file in my /root folder named errors.txt but when I try to attach it I get your trying to attach an empty file so I go to /root and click on the errors file it opens in Geany I see a box that says errors.txe with an X to close it nothing else if I click on the file in Geany nothing. What did I do wrong?

chiron

#16 Post by chiron »

if you get the file, then you didn't do anything wrong. The > tells the console to redirect all output to the specified file. So it appears there is no output, if the file remains empty. I guess then the only way will be for you to do as you did before and copy the messages word by word from your console into a forum post.

EDIT: just found out, there is stdout and stderr ... to also get the errormessages into the file, you need to type the following:

wine start wtlibrary.exe 2&> errors.txt

Sorry for the confusion

jokersloose

#17 Post by jokersloose »

OK think I got the erros.txt file isn't anywhere as close as the errors that showed up in concel but this is what the file says
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000500
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found
Hope I did it right.

chiron

#18 Post by chiron »

Just for fun I tried your command (i don't have wtlibrary.exe) and got exactly the same errors, as you have. you might want to check how it behaves if you enter the full path to the program (see earlier posts), it appears wine cannot find it.

jokersloose

#19 Post by jokersloose »

OK I get the following error

wine: can not find '/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program'
PS: How do I paist into concole?

chiron

#20 Post by chiron »

try this one:

wine "c:\Program Files\Watchtower\MEPS Platform 2.3\wtlibrary.exe" 2&>error.txt

The console seems to have a problem with the space in Program Files.

Alternatively, browse to the location in rox, right click, window, terminal here and then type:

wine ./wtlibrary.exe 2&>error.txt

but this only works from within the directory where your program resides.