simplescan - scan & print (just a copier)

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
tubby

simplescan - scan & print (just a copier)

#1 Post by tubby »

I was looking for a utility that would scan a document and then print it without saving it first, basically just copy it.
I downloaded simple scan but it needed some libraries so i found them and the package works just fine, unpack the attachment and install the files.
There will be menu entry in utils.

Reason for edit.
First an apology, i meant to post this in the lucid51 thread but i clicked the wrong button and a new thread was started.
I have since tried the attachment on a wary build and there are alot more libraries needed for it to work, sorry.
It does work ok in my lucid frugal install.

mikeslr

Simplescan: any interested in getting Scan2email to work?

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Glad Tubby started a thread. Actually in LupuQ the deb from Ubuntu's repository works fine, though it also complains about missing libs.

One of the specs of simplescan is that it supposedly should enable scan-to-email-direct, without having to first save to a drive. It was supposed to work with Evolution mail manager. But from what I've read, that routine doesn't work even in Ubuntu. The problem apparently lies in it not linking to Evolution. And it would probably make more sense if it were configured to work with Thunderbird --something one can't expect Ubuntu to be interested in.

Simplescan has several nice features: a simple interface, the ability to scan multiple pages at once using a feeder, and the ability --using a flatbed-- to combine several documents/photos into one jpg or pdf.

Being able to scan-direct-to an email client would make this a stellar program. It's written in C. Maybe someone with knowledge of C could take it on as a project?

MikesLr

tubby

#3 Post by tubby »

Just found your post mikesir thanks for your comments, 75 downloads 446 views and only one positive reply a few others must have found it useful or not as the case may be. :)

mikeslr

Simple-Scan Pet for Lupu/Lucid (only?)

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

All credit for this pet should go to tubby, who figured out what libraries were actually needed. In Lucid/Lupu Puppies you can use PPM to obtain simple-scan from Ubuntu repos. But if you check dependencies and download them all they add up to about 53 megs.

All I've done is strip the tar.gz files he provided above of "Docs," combine the remaining files and package them as a pet which will generate a menu entry under graphics.

Tested in Snowpuppy on my wife's computer, which is the only I have access to that has a scanner.

Note: Simple Scan is merely a simplified Front-End for the Back-End "Sane". If Xsane is on already installed, you already have it, as Xsane contains the Sane App and a more complex (complete?) and resource intensive front-end.
Attachments
simplescan.pet
For Lupu & Lucid Puppies, Untested in others
(132.55 KiB) Downloaded 861 times