The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1741 Post by playdayz »

I have installed Puppy 4.31 on my amd k6
IMHO, Lucid 5.2.5 is probably not the best choice for AMD K6, because some programs in Lucid 5.2.5 are not compatible with K6. Lucid 5.1.1 would be a better choice--not that 4.3.1 is not perfectly good also ;-)

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-5.1.1/

jpeps

#1742 Post by jpeps »

I finally got around to updating. 5.25 is a real gem. Thanks to Larry et al for a great job.

playdayz

#1743 Post by playdayz »

Clementine is based on the code from Amarok 1.4 (prior to kde4). As you can see.... http://www.clementine-player.org/

The locales are included--it could be a bit smaller without them.... The pet is 32MB.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.pet

Whew.

Here is a Banshee 2.1.0 pet. A few icons are missing--I don't know why. The pet is 53MB.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.pet

That's the latest of both Clementine and Banshee.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 08 Jun 2011, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

Vim 7.3 No Gui

#1744 Post by jpeps »

Vim 7.3.206 editor
Compiled in 5.2.5

Command line only, no manuals or docs
5.8M

edit: added 206 patches

http://jpeters.net/apps/vim_7.3.206_no_gui.pet

stu90

#1745 Post by stu90 »

rxvtset-0.1
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 699#531699

GUI for setting up rxvt terminal.

Liberation Mono font looks great in terminal. 8)

playdayz

#1746 Post by playdayz »

Man-o-man--It just doesn't stop ;-)

Newest additions to Lupu PPM.
To update your index of PPM, please do this -> Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM

Nted 1.9.16 -> small and fast music notation editor
Musescore 1.0 -> Large, elaborate, and fast music notation editor
Songbird 1.9.3 -> Linux version officially discontinued, latest unofficial, no wma
Audacious 2.5.1 -> Music player, Latest, full
Smplayer 0.9.6-4 -> Media player, Latest, full
Banshee 2.1.0 -> Music player, Latest, full
Clementine 0.7.1 -> Music player, Latest, full
Deadbeef 0.5.1 -> Music player, Latest, full
Sylpheed 3.1.1 -> Email client, latest, full
Pmusic 1.8.3 -> Music player, Latest
transmission 2.3.1 -> bittorrent client, latest, with NLS

Banshee and Clementine are the more elaborate music players, with art, lyrics, last.fm, and so forth. Deadbeef, Pmusic and Audacious are the "no nonsense" music players.

playdayz

#1747 Post by playdayz »

rxvtset-0.1

It needs yad I think.

stu90

#1748 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:
rxvtset-0.1

It needs yad I think.
Hi Playdayz,
Yes Yad is required as i used it for the GUI - there is a download for the latest yad.pet in the link :)

cheers.

Brown Mouse

#1749 Post by Brown Mouse »

I have found that I'm unable to mount a 4.7gb DVD-R containing photos in Puppy 5.25 and 5.20.
When the disc is inserted,the desktop drive icon is present and identified as 'sr0' but when I click on it cant mount it.
The disc is multisession and was burnt using Nero in Win7.Could this be the reason??
Are there any other ways to go about mounting it?
Any help or ideas appreciated thank you.

Minnesota

multisession

#1750 Post by Minnesota »

I believe the key word you used was MULTISESSION. From my experience you only can use a multisession disk on the computer it was built on.. or that was true in the past. If you want the disk to be used on mulit machines you need to close it out.. .finalize it.

playdayz

#1751 Post by playdayz »

Billtoo, The vlc-1.1.10 sfs doesn't start for me either in Lucid 5.2.5. These things can be frustrating--I am leaving the media players alone for a few days ;-) Perhaps you have something else installed that provides something that the vlc sfs needs?

Here is what I get in a terminal. Maybe you can see what I might have done wrong. I get the same basic messages if I try to start qvlc.

Code: Select all

# vlc
VLC media player 1.1.10 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x80e522c] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x8069cd4] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x8069cd4] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80e5294] [rc] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 1.1.10 The Luggage
Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> 

Billtoo

#1752 Post by Billtoo »

playdayz wrote:Billtoo, The vlc-1.1.10 sfs doesn't start for me either in Lucid 5.2.5. These things can be frustrating--I am leaving the media players alone for a few days ;-) Perhaps you have something else installed that provides something that the vlc sfs needs?

Here is what I get in a terminal. Maybe you can see what I might have done wrong. I get the same basic messages if I try to start qvlc.

Code: Select all

# vlc
VLC media player 1.1.10 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x80e522c] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x8069cd4] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x8069cd4] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80e5294] [rc] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 1.1.10 The Luggage
Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> 

Hi playdayz,

I know it won't work in anything other than spup, I compiled lua,qt473,and vlc in spup.
I put spup in the sfs name too :)

I haven't had any luck getting vlc compiled in lupu, I wish I could help out with a vlc for lupu but it's beyond my very limited compiling knowledge.

Sorry.

Jasper

#1753 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

VLC 1.1.1 Portable can be downloaded from http://portablelinuxapps.org/ where it appears on the sixth row together with two later versions.

I have no idea if this is of any interest to you, but I use it in Lupu 5.1.0 so I just tried it in Lupu 5.2.5 and it seems to work well.

My regards

playdayz

#1754 Post by playdayz »

I know it won't work in anything other than spup, I compiled lua,qt473,and vlc in spup.
I put spup in the sfs name too Smile
Yes, I saw the Spup in its name--I should have paid more attention--I thought I remembered that you said it worked in Lucid--but that was wishful thinking ;-) VLC is a monster to get working. I did the same thing with 1.1.7 that I did with 1.1.5, and 1.1.5 worked and 1.1.7 didn't. The 1.1.5 works in Lucid so that is the best we have so far. Sorry to have bothered you about it.
Hi playdayz,

VLC 1.1.1 Portable can be downloaded from http://portablelinuxapps.org/ where it appears on the sixth row together with two later versions.

I have no idea if this is of any interest to you, but I use it in Lupu 5.1.0 so I just tried it in Lupu 5.2.5 and it seems to work well.
Hey Jasper, Do you have a problem "running as root"? They have a VLC 1.2.0 there that I would like to see running.

Add> I got it running with su spot, but it crashes at the end of playing a video. Is there a better way I am missing? Maybe there is not really a user spot? Did I mention that I hate it when they do this.

bigpup

#1755 Post by bigpup »

PupSnap in the Lupu PPM needs updated to version 1.6.1
Has some added features for making image captures compatible with forum.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61361

Brown Mouse

Re: multisession

#1756 Post by Brown Mouse »

Minnesota wrote:I believe the key word you used was MULTISESSION. From my experience you only can use a multisession disk on the computer it was built on.. or that was true in the past. If you want the disk to be used on mulit machines you need to close it out.. .finalize it.
Yes of course!Now..why didn't I think of that.
Thanks Minnesota

Volhout

And Now ?

#1757 Post by Volhout »

PlayDayz,

I am a great Puppy fan since 2.17, and use it on every (except my wife's laptop) machine. In most cases not besides ... , but as only os. I have followed the development from when Barry was "in charge", and now with several others taking responsibility (the 5 series), while Barry is creating his own line of projects (Quirky, Wary). I cannot help wondering where this will go to. Is there a master plan to pull this further ?

- will the 5.25 be supported for long time? Or will it be superceded by 5.26 in 4 weeks time (I am running 5.20 since it's release, and would move to 5.25 if it this was the long time support version, and I could look forward to a growing and maintained SFS/PET library).
- is there going to be a Puppy 5.3 series, or Puppy 6 series.
- are there plans to merge Barry's puppies back into mainstream ... or the 5 series into Barries puppies ?

In other words.... is there a master plan forward (*) ?? Or are we simply going back to Slackware (or Mandriva, like Barry blogs today) and doing the same thing all over again.

Volhout

(*) if you investigate the legacy Puppy drags along : SCSI support (may be typical for senior (age) Linux developers, but not for Windows refugees, some versions even support all analog modems (where I live there is not a single dial-up provider anymore). There is some inconsistency, and more user-tailored puppies could be developed. But main question remains, is there a plan...???

ICPUG

#1758 Post by ICPUG »

Volhout,

You have been around long enough to know that there is no plan!

A plan is not the Puppy development model. Each developer takes the Puppy in the direction that gives them fun.

There is usually some common binding within a Puppy series although series 5 has split that approach with Wary and Lucid serving two distinct sectors.

The most activity going on at the moment is from Micko1 which is a Slackware based pup. That may be the next official Pup when it reaches release.

Volhout

#1759 Post by Volhout »

Hi ICPUG,

In my memory, the development of puppy until 4.31 was pretty clear. Barry was driving it (officially up to 4.12 I think). This was mainstream puppy. There where branches and derivatives (i.e. Macpup), but mainstream was Barry's puppy.

Barry decided to take a step back, and mainstream Puppy was headed by volunteers from the community (Technosaurus, Playdayz). Still a clear vision, Puppy is a community child now.

But then it became a bit fuzzy when Barry started releasing (in parallel) his quirky and wary branches. It is not one Puppy anymore. Looks like the mainstream puppy is split up a bit. If you look now, you see both 5 series, and quirky, and wary, and all have branches and derivatives. And since this a "hobby" work, no-one knows (at the moment) what branch will live in 1 year time (a good example is puppeee from Jemimah. She was really dedicated to it for 1 year, and now she is taking a very long (definite ?) vacation. Will she ever be back ? I have an eee PC with puppeee 4.4RC2 and am checking every day if she will return to finilize this into a official release).

As long as there is 1 mainstream, there will allways someone to pick it up, but if you gamble on the wrong branch...... And that is where my quesion comes from.

Volhout

playdayz

#1760 Post by playdayz »

PupSnap in the Lupu PPM needs updated to version 1.6.1

Got it BP. Thanks.