How to install LibreOffice?

Booting, installing, newbie
Raybrite

#1 Post by Raybrite »

I think I need to explain a bit more. I am from Windows and am not familiar with hos to install a program like LibreOffice on Puppy 525. I had to use several command lines to do it on Ubuntu.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

Well, that one is easy Raybrite, no command line necessary.

I am assuming you have gotten past the install part, and your partitions are sorted?

Easiest, go to Quickpet on the desktop, select the 'useful sfs" tab, find libreoffice and download it. It should do all the work for you. Note that an sfs will work basically only with a frugal install. If you have done a full install, search the forum for Libreoffice as a .pet, there are a few around, download that and select install. And away it goes. No command line necessary.

Let us know if you get stuck

Paul :)

Raybrite

#3 Post by Raybrite »

Paul,
You will never believe this. I missed those on that list and went to downloading the Puppy Pet Manager. It had a lot of updates and is still going on.
I just went back and it was there. I wil have to wait for those databases to finish first. :)

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

Haha, sounds like you're as guilty as the rest of us, Raybrite, of looking for the hard solution to an easy problem!

Once you get libreoffice installed and running, its also worth looking to get java installed (it sometimes needs it) and then associating .odt and .doc(x) files with libre.

Let us know when you're done. I'll be back online in about 5 hours, but there're heaps of guys here that know more than me and can help you.

Raybrite

#5 Post by Raybrite »

I tried to install Libreoffice for a long time ( my internet kept shutting down) and when it finally went too long and didn't look like it was coming back for awhile, I old it to quit.
It then gave me a message that it was loaded without a menu item. Now I cannot find it. I need to eithe create a menu item for it or delete it and start all over again and I don't know how to do either of these. I cannot find it anywhere. It also says I have open office the same way.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Ray, find is your friend. If your run:

Code: Select all

find / -name soffice.bin
that should tell you the location of Open Office. ( soffice.bin is the binary that starts OOffice. I haven't used LibreOffice, but I'm guessing the above command will also tell where it was installed. If not, someone else will let us know).

Regarding commands, ubuntu vs puppy, generally they should be applicable, except that often puppy doesn't include the full versions of some commands, but instead uses busybox, which is a small utility functioning like a swiss army knife of commands.

Raybrite

#7 Post by Raybrite »

Muggins - Find don't like me. I have tried every combination I could think of and even went over where I found them and used that title and nothing It says No such file or directory.
Maybe it has something to do with the no menu item note that I got before.
I could delete everything and download Puppy again and start all over again. That should get rid of anything that is hidden.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

Hmmm? Not sure what's going on here. With larger downloads, like OOffice, it's best to download with a downloader that can resume fron transmission breaks, & then check the md5sum:

Code: Select all

md5sum filename
Menu entries depend on the relevant .desktop file, in /usr/share/applications directory. You could have a look there to see whether there's any desktop files like swriter.desktop, scalc, sbase etc.

Once you more familiar with puppy, you'll find installing, and running, apps like OOffice, skype. firefox etc, very easy, and you'll be confident downloading them directly from their respective sites.

By the way, do you have a frugal, or full, install?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

muggins wrote:...With larger downloads, like OOffice, it's best to download with a downloader that can resume fron transmission breaks...
Isn't that what Puppy's Menu -> Internet -> Uget download manager is for?

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

Flash,

yes indeed, but sometimes people download stuff at net cafes, using windows, or using whichever puppy browser, so I just use the generic "resumeable downloader".

In Ray's case I'm really "clutching at straws", as I'm not sure why his Libre & OO can't be found!

Edit: perhaps for his office probs Ray should see this thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68623

Raybrite

#11 Post by Raybrite »

I am back now. I have a full install. I managed to get it to boot up without the disk.
During the day yesterday, my internet was going on and off. I downloaded Libreoffice and Open Office during that time. They would stop and start and sometimes I had to start them all over again.
When they were finished I recieved the message that they were installed but there was no menu item generated. I took this to mean that they were there but were hidden. I went looking through all the folders and never did see anything about them anywhere.
I can clean the disk with what I know now and then download them in the new installation. That would be a long way to do it but, right now I cannot figure any other way.
(I had to go to Makati near Manila this morning to take care of some paperwork or I would have been here pulling out the rest of my hair.)

Raybrite

#12 Post by Raybrite »

I remembered seeing 2 Open Office programs yesterday when I was having problems. Today I tried to download the other Open Office and it worked and is now on the computer. The only thing that would be better is if I had some icons to put them on the desktop to find the programs faster.
Open Office is the same as Libre Office. They just changed named and added a few upgrades. I expect an upgrade soon to make Open Office into Libreoffice.
I had forgotten why I was trying to get Linux on my computers and today I was reminded. I got a message that unauthorized changes had been made to my Windows program. When you click on the way to fix it , they want you to upgrade to Windows7. You have to completely shut your computer down to get rid of the message.
Thanks for all the help. I can sure use it. At 71 years old I am just starting out.

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

ld stop and start and sometimes I had to start them all over again.
Ray, how are you downloading these packages? With windows, or linux? As I mentioned previously it's important to download with an app that can resume from breaks. If you're not sure, let us know, as there are alternatives for both linux & windows.

Also, I wonder which version of OOffice you're trying to download? This problem, with people dloadiing OOffice sfs packages, & then finding missing menu entries, or desktop icons, has been going on for years on the forum. I wonder if regulars can mention sfs packages that definitely work for them.

I'm using openoffice-3.2.1-sfs4.sfs, and it definitely gives both menu entries, and icons, with lupu series. If you wanted to try it I've uploaded it here:

openoffice-3.2.1-sfs4.sfs

Raybrite

#14 Post by Raybrite »

I think we are half way around tghe world so here is about a 12 hour time difference.
I am downloading from within Puppy 525 using the icon for downloading Puppy stuff. (I don't have that computer on my desk right now.) I choose the one that I want and it does the rest. I think it is called Quickpet.
I have been doing all of that in Linux as the Windows is gone from that computer.
I did manage to get Open Office working finally last night before I went to bed. I will probably tackle more of it after I get used to seeing the top of my small desk again. I now have room to put a cup of tea there.(LOL)
I have all of that on my Acer T243 with a celeron processor. The radio came on and kahm.info came right up without saying I needed anything else. I had to download a lot of other stuff to get it to work in Ubuntu.
I am learning slowly. Without everyone's help here, I wouldn't have made it this far. Thanks a lot to everyone.