Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)

News, happenings
john biles

Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)

#1 Post by john biles »

Release Announcement for Legacy OS 2

After 9 months of development, today sees the release of Legacy OS 2.
With this release comes a host of improvements over Legacy OS. Many questions were asked about what makes a good Operating System. Users who have installed and used the previous release of Legacy OS regularly for a period of time will notice the improvements. I recommend everyone using Legacy OS to upgrade to Legacy OS 2. (Requires Re-install)

Where to start? The focus was to look at all expects of Legacy OS and make improvements.
We started by looking at the default Desktop and the gtk and kde themes it used.
It was decided to create a pleasant neutral look to tie all the include applications together. A desktop environment that was easy on the eye and usable every day. The look had to be usable for those who want or need to use Legacy OS 2 as their main Operating System.
While the gtk and kde themes share common elements, there are differences by design.
You'll only find one Window Manager (ICEWM). One icewm, gtk and kde theme. The goal was to keep it as simple as possible. We didn't want to confuse new users with multiple options.
Next was the look and feel of the applications. How does each application look to the user.
Does it look dated, what can we do to make it more visually appealing so users will want to use it. Can it be updated to a later version?

A large number of icons were replaced and for the first time new icons were created or modified especially for Legacy OS 2. Unique start up "Splash" imagines were created for a number of Applications.
We looked at ways of making it easier and faster to access applications through the sidebar, task bar and menu.
Where needed pop up messages provide unique information about an application to a user.
Applications like the ROX File Manager allow easy access to tasks by just right mouse clicking on a file.

Now it was time to turn our attention to the Applications included in Legacy OS.
Any application for one reason or another not up to standard was removed. Unused system files were deleted.
Archived repositories of many Distro's were searched for suitable applications. Forum's were searched back a number of years for lost and forgotten applications. These all had to be tested.
All the applications included in Legacy OS 2 were chosen for one reason or another. Yes we know there are newer versions available. What we looked for wasn't the age of the application but its usability, reliability and suitability on the Legacy Hardware this Operating System is designed for.

Applications New in Legacy OS 2:
asunder 1.6.2 (Music CD Ripper)
gwenview 1.1.8 (Image Manager)
k9copy 1.0.4 (DVD9 to DVD5 converter)
kadu 0.6.0 (Internet Chat Client for Linux)
kalcul 0.1 (Allows children to test their Maths skills)
kamix 0.6.6 (Sound Mixer will lots of options)
kdocker 1.3 (Docks open Applications in to the system tray)
kid3 0.5 (Edit/Rename MP3 song files)
koverartist 0.3.2 (Create CD/DVD cover art)
ksquirrel 0.8.0 (Image / document viewer)
kuake 0.3 (Pop down Terminal)
mandvd v2.2 (Video DVD Creator)
mrxvt 0.5.1 (Terminal)
multimedia converter 1.5 (Convert many Video/Sound formats easily)
oregano 0.40.4 (Schematic capture and circuit simulation)
pconvert v2.15-1 (Units Converter cms to inches, kmh to mph etc)
qalculate v0.7.2 (Units Converter cms to inches, kmh to mph etc and more)
quacc v3.5 (Home accounting software)
rekordmydesktop 0.3 (Record your desktop in to OGG format)
screensaver mu-v0.2 (MU's experimental basic Screensaver improved)
tuxpaint 0.9.14 (Small children's paint Application)
xvidcap 1.1.5 (Record parts of your desktop in to Mpeg format)
you2pup 2.1.4 (Download and convert videos from Youtube)

Applications Removed for the following reasons:
fluxbox 0.9.3 (To focus on one window manager only)
frostwire 4.13.3 (No longer connected to Host/Legal problems with files)
kooldock 0.3 (Again to focus on one window manager)
kover 2.9.6 (Replaced KoverArtist)
kuickshow 0.8.12 (Replaced by better Applications)
numerical chameleon 1.6.0 (Replaced by Qalculate)
showimg 0.9.4.1 (Replaced by better Applications)
grip 3.0.0 (Replaced by Asunder)

A number of files applications rely on have also been updating.
For Example: ffmpeg updated to 0.6.1 (A number of newer multimedia formats now supported)

The Hard Drive Installer has been improved within the original framework. Message boxes to guide a user through the install and rewording of the Installer should allow more users to successfully install Legacy OS 2 on their Hard Drives. While it's no up to Ubuntu standards, it's still an improvement over the Installer in Legacy OS.

The above processors were performed many times over and are what makes Legacy OS 2 our best release ever!
I hope you enjoy using Legacy OS 2 as much as we enjoyed creating it for you!

Download from here!
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 1563.shtml
Attachments
Terminal.jpg
(113.7 KiB) Downloaded 2902 times
Video.jpg
(193.57 KiB) Downloaded 3016 times
Default Desktop.jpg
(70.88 KiB) Downloaded 11749 times
Last edited by john biles on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 13:37, edited 2 times in total.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

puppyiso

#2 Post by puppyiso »

At last..

waiting impatiently.

puppyiso

#3 Post by puppyiso »

forgot to ask. What repository can I use for Legacy os 2?

Any link(s)?

SouthPaws

Timing for release.

#4 Post by SouthPaws »

Hey JB I'm definitely looking forward to playing with your pup! :)

(even though Judgement Day already began... 05.21.11...) :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfotgkSN ... 172223B8A7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqcuW_zxVqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjw482dUWnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVRkXWCATI

issarad

#5 Post by issarad »

Thanks John!

Downloading it now. I can't wait to try this version out.

Many thanks for your hard work.

goossbears

#6 Post by goossbears »

Legacy OS is still perfectly suitable for installation on older and low-resource computers, as well as modern hardware.
Any further info on the Recommended and Absolute MINIMUM hardware specs Legacy OS 2 can run acceptably on :?:

sneekylinux

#7 Post by sneekylinux »

Hi mate, will have a play with it in the morning, and all according to how it goes may put a short intro video up if i have the time, or may just play a bit longer and do 2 like last time

SouthPaws

Install

#8 Post by SouthPaws »

Hey JB, trying to install on an old thinkpad LegOS2 froze-up after this line;

Looking for pup_save.2fs in hdc... hda1... hda2... hda3... hda5...

Booting up with pfix=ram got me around that.

By the way; I noticed a typo on a doc (/usr/share/doc/legay.html) under the heading 'Know issues with Legacy OS 2 ?:', near the end of the paragraph '...and your sound with come back.' it looks like it should say 'will' come back.
[url]http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen.htm[/url]

smokey01

#9 Post by smokey01 »

Looks very nice John and you have packed a lot of nice stuff in too.

Why did you use such an old kernel?

It didn't recognize my Ethernet card, bummer.

Colonel Panic

#10 Post by Colonel Panic »

Looks good, just downloading it now. Thanks for putting it all together.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

Nice one, john; working on it right now.
Got to laugh: the name is LegacyOS and some guy asks "Why did you use such an old kernel? " !

dolphinsupernova

Legacy OS 2

#12 Post by dolphinsupernova »

Hi John,
I've been trying to download you latest ISO for the past couple of days: No matter what machine, OS, or browser I use, the download never gets going.

The download starts, then gets stuck, then says it's gonna take 10 days or so to download, and never ever completes - I don't have a problem with my broadband. Is there a problem with the mirror that you are aware of?

Thanks,
Dolphinsupernova

James C

#13 Post by James C »

For what its worth, no problem downloading here yesterday....nice and quick on the first try using Chrome.

dolphinsupernova

Legacy OS 2

#14 Post by dolphinsupernova »

Thanks for that. Is there going to be any other way of getting this if I cannot get it to download?

Ta.

john biles

#15 Post by john biles »

Hello dolphinsupernova,
Please try this backup link

http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet. ... y-OS-2.iso

You need to use "puppy" and "linux" as username / password to download.

davec51

Can't Boot -- Frugal Installation

#16 Post by davec51 »

I made a Frugal installation of LegacyOS, being careful to put in the kernel line, "pmedia=idehd," but I still get the message "can't find pmedia=idecd," and the boot is aborted. I know I'm doing something wrong. Here is the menu.lst entry:
# Legacy OS begins
title Legacy OS Puppy
root (hd0,0)
kernel /legacy/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd root=/dev/hda1 pfix=ram ro
initrd /legacy/initrd.gz
# LegacyOS ends

Do I need to put the .sfs file in the root directory?

SouthPaws

Install

#17 Post by SouthPaws »

Hey JB, All's well I hope...

Anyway; although pfix=ram got me through to boot-up, the installer hangs.

Q1 - installer mentions ext2 specifically, is it mandatory?
Q2 - installer mentions swap file, is it mandatory?
Q3 - what are the correct paramaters for grub? (manual install possible?)
[url]http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen.htm[/url]

dolphinsupernova

#18 Post by dolphinsupernova »

Many thanks! Downloaded now - took 5 mins - going to burn to disc.

Ta!

reckrhodes

#19 Post by reckrhodes »

hi davec51,

use this PMEDIA=idehd root=/dev/ram0 instead of pmedia=idehd root=/dev/hda1

john biles

#20 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone installing, please read this.

The Truth about Installing Legacy OS 2 on your Computer
I want you to go back in time to early 2007 when Barry K released Puppy 2.14. Barry's .sfs system isn't what it is today. Most Puppy users who use .sfs apps would be using them with Puppy 4 and 5 series. Legacy OS 2 is based on the Puppy 2 series.
Lets say Barry K decided to give all this Puppy stuff up after releasing Puppy 3.01 and was never seen again! Would I still have released Legacy OS 2? Yes! I'm 99% sure if this forum was still active, you'd still have this release.
With Legacy OS and with the help of ttuuxxx, I updated glibc from 2.3.5 to 2.5 from Puppy 3.01. This allowed a great number of apps that have found their way in to Legacy OS to work for the first time. Besides this major system update, Most of Legacy OS 2 is where Linux was in 2007. Why? you might ask are you still using this old out dated System and Kernel? As the "Target Hardware" was built between 2000 and 2006 what better way to support it then by building an OS around a system build in 2007.
Where possible the latest version of an Application is used. The age of software included in Legacy OS 2 ranges from 1999 to 2011. Applications are chosen for reliability, usefulness! not on their release date. OK I'm getting of track lets get back to the install process but before I do just remember Redhat/Centos 5 still uses Kernel 2.6.18 / Glibc 2.5 like Legacy OS 2 does. If this combo is good enough for them then it good enough to use on the old obsolete Hardware Legacy OS 2 is targeted at!

Legacy OS 2 was tested and successfully installed on 12 PC's and 3 Laptops.
The simplest way to install Legacy OS 2 is to navigate in the main menu to (Setup > Install-Remaster > Legacy OS 2 Hard Drive Installer) and click on it. Here's where thing differ from the Installer in Legacy OS. I modified Puppy's installer to pop up important info as well as start "Gparted" so you can format your Hard Drive to EXT2 and 500Mb's of swap. check with "MUT" to see that the Live CD you've just booted is mounted before you start the install proper. Also Puppy installer has been reworded so hopefully it's a little easier to follow. If you follow it, really read what written and just except the defaults, Legacy OS 2 will be installed on your Hard Drive ready to go in around 20 minutes on average.

I never been a fan of the frugal install as I like to give any Linux Distro a whole Partition for itself. One problem I see is Legacy OS 2 needs / wants to be installed on a EXT2 file system. As most of you running a later version of Puppy would be using an EXT3 files system, I think here is where you may be running in to trouble trying to install Legacy OS 2 in frugal mode on a EXT3 partition when it's looking for an EXT2 partition to call home!

If you can give Legacy OS 2 a freshly formatted EXT2 Partition, 500MB's of swap and follow the instructions, I'm 99% sure you'll successfully install Legacy OS 2 on your computer.