Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 06:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Error: "GTK-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library"
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 19:00    Post subject:  Error: "GTK-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library"
Subject description: how do I fix this?

I have made a custom pup 420, using an updated glibc stolen from ubuntu.. purely to play with..
all seems to work fine, except one thing, I get this error, with all(?) GTK apps:

Code:
GTK-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library

I'm using GTK 2.12.1-xinput (from pizzagood), and libc 2.12.1-ubuntu10.2 (latest stable + security fixes).. I also installed libc-bin-2.12.1, so have updated the tools 'locale', 'localedef' and so on.

I have read that using localedef can fix this. I have read many solutions and tried many things, using this tool.. I cannot fix the problem.. I have changed locales many times... Here is what the 'locale' command always returns (note the first 2 lines):

Code:
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_GB
LC_CTYPE="en_GB"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB"
LC_TIME="en_GB"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB"
LC_PAPER="en_GB"
LC_NAME="en_GB"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB"
LC_ALL=

Last edited by sc0ttman on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 08:38; edited 2 times in total
amigo

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 07:36    Post subject:  

Ay, Ay, Ay! Simply recompile every single program and library on your system in order to match that shiny, new glibc! GTK is complaining about it, but there are surely more of these messages coming.
You can't simply grab some library from anywhere and have it work with all the others it depends on -especially not glibc since every single binary depends on it directly or inderectly. Building a distro meany you have to have a sane toolchain to build glibc with, then you compile everything needed for the system linking against that glibc.
Even the original Puppy has never been built that way, which accounts for all the compatibility issues you see with every version. You mixing and matching from that with even more 'foreign' stuff will never get you there, friend
You can't take an old release and update this-and-that and have it dependably work, either. It just doesn't work that way -though none of the creators of derivatives here haved figure that out either, so don't fell bad.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 07:52    Post subject:  

amigo wrote:
Ay, Ay, Ay! Simply recompile every single program and library on your system in order to match that shiny, new glibc! GTK is complaining about it, but there are surely more of these messages coming.
You can't simply grab some library from anywhere and have it work with all the others it depends on -especially not glibc since every single binary depends on it directly or inderectly.

I know this. I've done my prior reading... I tried to compile glibc, but I couldn't do it. Could not get past the part of the build which messes up the currently installed glibc, breaking the 'make install' part.. I followed the LFS guide, but still no go.

Quote:
Building a distro means you have to have a sane toolchain to build glibc with, then you compile everything needed for the system linking against that glibc.

I have tried to build glibc inside a separate toolchain, just to test, and it worked fine, but need to test it more, look into it more, as it was largely automated by a build script.

Quote:
Even the original Puppy has never been built that way, which accounts for all the compatibility issues you see with every version. You mixing and matching from that with even more 'foreign' stuff will never get you there, friend

I plan to compile libpng, libsvg, cairo, other GTK deps, then GTK itself.. Or I could also steal them from Wary, as ttuuxxx did with 2.14X ... He does not get this message.. I'm sure he took the compile route.. I think I can take that route from here, though, no?

Quote:
You can't take an old release and update this-and-that and have it dependably work, either. It just doesn't work that way -though none of the creators of derivatives here haved figure that out either, so don't fell bad.

2.14X has done very, very well in this area. It can be done. I'm just looking for information on how to get round that error. Many ubuntu users have upgraded glibc and used localedef to fix this problem.

If I have to re-compile a load of GTK deps, then GTK, then whatever else, that is fine...
I just need to know what the issue is, what problems it causes, and how to get rid of it.

L18L

Location: Burghaslach, Germany somewhere also known as "Hosla"

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 08:17    Post subject: Error: "GTK-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library"
Subject description: default locale

sc0ttman,
seems to me that your default locale C is missing, maybe?
I think the default is C
My locales are
Code:
# locale -a
C
de_DE@euro
en_US
POSIX
#

Code:
# locale
LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE@euro"
{cut off}

HTH
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 08:24    Post subject: Re: Error: "GTK-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library"
Subject description: default locale

L18L wrote:
sc0ttman,
seems to me that your default locale C is missing, maybe?

Thanks for the reply. I get this with 'locale -a':

Code:
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such for or directory
C
en_AU
en_CA
en_DK
en_GB
en_NZ
en_PH
en_US
POSIX
And I do have each of those installed.. I do think re-compile of stuff is required, but I'd be happy enough just to learn exactly what is causing this error! (the offending file(s), or missing file(s), etc)

If I choose POSIX, I do not get errors from locale, but I still get the "Gtk-WARNING **" thing when running gtkdialog ,etc...

If I choose C, I do not get any errors, from locale or from GTK...

L18L

Location: Burghaslach, Germany somewhere also known as "Hosla"

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 09:32    Post subject: Error: "GTK-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library"
Subject description: locale problem

So it is just the LC_CTYPE now.

Having found
http://www.svnforum.org/threads/33699-What-does-quot-cannot-set-LC_CTYPE-locale-quot-mean

I am thinking now it could be something UTF-8 vs. utf-8 related.

But really no idea

Anyway, good luck
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:35    Post subject:  

L18L, I think you're right.. shinobar worked to get UTF-8 working in puppy4, but said it was not supported... So I think it may be related to that... maybe.. But probably an un-avoidable error then, I guess...
Dewbie

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 01:54    Post subject:  

You might want to try a non-Ubuntu libc6 .deb:
See update here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66373
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: