IcePuppy-014 for newer and Ice Puppy-015 for older computers

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#681 Post by pemasu »

Ooops. I read spup devel thread and this thread quickly before going to work. Sorry about connectings names wrongly. I didnt mean to.

James C

#682 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Ooops. I read spup devel thread and this thread quickly before going to work. Sorry about connectings names wrongly. I didnt mean to.
No problem. :)

jim3630

#683 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:
would not install spup to hdd 2 days ago with error "cannot be mounted currently mounted read-write does not have lupusave.3fs.file in it"
James C. I saw samekind report in spup devel thread by Jim3630. And I had that problem also. There seems to happened something with puppyinstaller.
ip13 needed pmedia=usbflash and the Broadcom wo pet 22, was the last one you made for IP think is 22. connected to internet straight away.
If I understand right, pmedia=usbflash worked for you. And previous wireless worked also with this wholly recompiled new kernel. These are really good news.
That puppyinstaller problem needs to be checked next. There is possibility that new woof has even problem.
pemasu will read back to understand what's up with puppyinstaller.

Yes, pmedia=usbflash worked on this newer hp box. the wo driver wasnot included in ip13 and after using the pet it loaded with one program and configured easily with Frisbee. was oversight wo driver not included?

pemasu

#684 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. No, it wasnt oversight. I recompiled the kernel from the scratch with Iguleders kernel kit starting frome kernel and aufs download, including all the needed batches and also new usb-storage.patch. Then I used the lupe23 config file to compile it. I coulndt believe that older kernel module drivers could work. But they do and that is small wonder.
I didnt want to compile them again before I know if previous compiles work or not.

Wl module from previous build can be included to the next distro with ndiswrapper and acpi_call modules.
But...If I remember right the extra maneuvers included in the pet were needed also. Removing conflicting b43 if loaded and unloading ssb module also if not blacklisted already. So the usage of that pet is still the easiest way to get wl module working.

Jim3630 I needed users to test previous modules and confirm that they work before they can be included to the build.

Now I have that confirmation. Thanks to you.

There is now 2 reports of succesful pmedia=usbflash booting. Looks good.

jim3630

#685 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. No, it wasnt oversight. I recompiled the kernel from the scratch with Iguleders kernel kit starting frome kernel and aufs download, including all the needed batches and also new usb-storage.patch. Then I used the lupe23 config file to compile it. I coulndt believe that older kernel module drivers could work. But they do and that is small wonder.
I didnt want to compile them again before I know if previous compiles work or not.

Wl module from previous build can be included to the next distro with ndiswrapper and acpi_call modules.
But...If I remember right the extra maneuvers included in the pet were needed also. Removing conflicting b43 if loaded and unloading ssb module also if not blacklisted already. So the usage of that pet is still the easiest way to get wl module working.

Jim3630 I needed users to test previous modules and confirm that they work before they can be included to the build.

Now I have that confirmation. Thanks to you.

There is now 2 reports of succesful pmedia=usbflash booting. Looks good.
pemsu my mistake thought wo driver was included but it was a pet. One of those senior moments....well, I hope for moments instead of hours.

the universal installer is correctly working in ip12,11 and subsequently I assume not giving the previously reported error message. It also works in snow puppy 18 but not in snow puppy 19 giving the same previously reported error message.

in sp my wireless connection comes up as eth0 but in ip it's eth1. don't know if is important or makes any difference.

hope this helps. jim

DaveS

#686 Post by DaveS »

Icebox? :)

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#687 Post by pemasu »

Hah, seems suggestion to include openbox/fbpanel to the Ice Puppy. Looks attracting, lol.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#688 Post by Béèm »

Openbox/fbpanel is better then Icewm :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

KJ

openbox vs icewm

#689 Post by KJ »

Béèm ... In what ways are the Openbox/fbpanel combo better then Icewm? Speed? Memory usage? Eye-candy? Can you point me toward a good evaluation? Thanks .... KJ

DaveS

Re: openbox vs icewm

#690 Post by DaveS »

KJ wrote:Béèm ... In what ways are the Openbox/fbpanel combo better then Icewm? Speed? Memory usage? Eye-candy? Can you point me toward a good evaluation? Thanks .... KJ
I cant speak for Icewm because I have not use it, but here are some of the extra cool things Openbox can do
You can set screen margins to prevent maximised apps covering your launchers, or maybe just set the margin to a few pixels wide, so that you can throw your mouse pointer right to the edge and still get a right-click desktop event to bring up a root menu over a maximised app... very cool

Menus have a millisecond or two delay, so if you are a bit off with mousepointer, you dont select the wrong item, or loose it altogether like in JWM.

There is a lovely Openbox configuration GUI (obconf), and a reasonable one for fbpanel

Openbox seems to have great control over where windows open, and you can configure it to some extent.

In Openbox, you can set the window controls to whichever side you want (I prefer the Ubuntu style left), and set the order inwhich they appear.

Good start?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#691 Post by Béèm »

KJ wrote:Béèm ... In what ways are the Openbox/fbpanel combo better then Icewm? Speed? Memory usage? Eye-candy? Can you point me toward a good evaluation? Thanks .... KJ
ConfigurabilitY
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

KJ

#692 Post by KJ »

Béèm and DaveS, Thanks for the quick responses. I haven't used Openbox very much .... sounds like I should look at it more carefully. Thanks again ... KJ

DaveS

#693 Post by DaveS »

KJ wrote:Béèm and DaveS, Thanks for the quick responses. I haven't used Openbox very much .... sounds like I should look at it more carefully. Thanks again ... KJ
Tutorial here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 539#527539 with screenshots etc.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gcmartin

Using Openbox on ICE

#694 Post by gcmartin »

I have used Openbox is all I remember since running FATDOG. Seem that it was good enough for PUP525 to make it their standard WM.
  • Would the ICE extensions to the menus continue if Openbox is added?
  • Is there a PET that will install in Openbox on ICE?
  • Would ICE make Openbox available in the Menus same as FATDOG+PUP525?
Seems like a winning combo an "Openbox ICE", or maybe "ICEBOX", or maybe a "Super speed box of Icecicles" or ...?

Congratulations to all involved. Puppy is expanding significantly.
Thanks in advance for answering questions

Stripe

#695 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Just downloaded and am running icepuppy 013 as a multisession dvd totaly in ram.

Have found a few very nice touches over lucid
1 an upto date browser included
2 no evil flashplayer :wink:
3 vlc as the standard media player

in fact I have not found anything I want to change yet,
Thanks for all the hard work pemasu and everybody else it is apreciated

cheers
Stripe

pemasu

#696 Post by pemasu »

Thank you Stripe. Off topic, did you find the cure for xcb dependency with VLC compiling in Lucid Puppy. I tried to install whatever xcb and x11-xcb and... without gettting over to that dread xcb not found message.
I just gave up because I really didnt know what I should have done.
Otherwise I got VLC dependencies saturated. It was quite tedious job.
I used my compiled Qt4-4.8.0.

James C

#697 Post by James C »

I was throwing together another old Linux box tonight and I just happened to have an Ice Puppy cd handy so........Ice Puppy 012 live pfix=nox,ram. Had to use "nox" because otherwise I got a frozen computer with a distorted display. Sound and internet did work on boot though.

Sun 5 Jun 2011 Operating System: ice Puppy-012 Linux 2.6.38.4
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP67 - mcp68-01 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: vesa
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (271x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Core 0: 2693 1: 2693 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

# glxgears
1707 frames in 5.0 seconds
1682 frames in 5.0 seconds
1743 frames in 5.0 seconds
1766 frames in 5.0 seconds
1762 frames in 5.0 seconds
1771 frames in 5.0 seconds

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory : 903MB (246MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 05 Jun 2011 01:18:29 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
Audio device : nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
Ethernet controller : nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)

Now to get some more ram........ :lol:

pemasu

#698 Post by pemasu »

James C. I think 2.6.38 kernel with more conservative optimization is soon possible.
I have now played with Qt4 libs and applications and posted them in Snow Puppy thread.
I am going to try updated distro build with newest Qt4 and remove traces of older libs. It needs first testing that those apps plays with newer libs.
This is new learning experience, since Qt4 apps use mostly cmake and it behaves differently and accepts different spesificications.
I need also check statically build apps and change them to the shared linked so that they all use the same Qt4. It means getting off unneeded bigger static apps.

gcmartin

Fascinating Distro

#699 Post by gcmartin »

The more I test and use ICE the more and more fascinating it becomes. Another item which has made me smile is the ethernet desktop Popup that occurs whenever the ethernet cable or switch is connected. Its these little polished things that PEMASU provides which is beyond compare. Wow.

So far, on all of my LARGE platforms, this distro is superb. Oh, there has been some skips along the way, but that's what RHE stands for. It has handle ALL of my 1GB+ PCs for the most part without issues.

Again, I would add that anyone who uses the LIve media approach for production, MAY want to invest in having that PC have a permanent SWAP partition on Permanent (HDD) or semi-permanent (USB) media. Those who move USBs from PC to PC may want to have a dedicated SWAP partition on your 8GB+ sticks. For some reason, it seems to avoid some issue that all of us run into. (I, for years, have carried a 4GB stick in my bag around and use it whenever I boot Live media Linux, anywhere (especially Windows based PCs).

Thanks, again, Pemasu for have ICE. It truly is showing some of us the way.

pemasu

#700 Post by pemasu »

That popup is produced by xpupsay and it comes with Frisbee. Popups and Frisbee are magnificent products by Jemimah. She is the great mind and able coder behind many scripts found in Snow Puppy and Ice Puppy.
I dont want to take credit for something I havent done. I have merely found many Jemimah`s work so useful that I have applied them to my builds.

I am fond of Radky`s, Shinobar`s and 01mickos works also. Playdayz and Barry Kauler has done the base work for my derivatives producing the building platforms.

My job. Well, I have put these stuff together, compiled kernels many times and I have had really wonderful users and testers.
So biggest thanks goes to all these people, gcmartin included.

Now I am still playing with qt4 apps. Musescore is now under compiling. Next I will test Clementine. I needed to compile bigger Qt4 libs for those apps.