Classic Opera browser 12.16 [SFS] for Wary and Racy.etc

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Terryphi

Classic Opera browser 12.16 [SFS] for Wary and Racy.etc

#1 Post by Terryphi »

FEB 2020: SORRY, THIS IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD FROM MY WEBSITE

I have tested an early version of the new Opera based on Chromium. It is vastly inferior to the classic Opera and I will not be supporting it. I will still make available for download the SFS of Classic Opera for those who want it.

My SFS places Opera files in /opt/opera and Opera runs from /opt/opera/bin/opera. The SFS file contains a custom desktop file, /usr/share/opera.desktop.

The personal settings, bookmarks, cookies, etc are created in /root/.opera . If you are uninstalling a pet or deb of Opera make sure you backup /root/.opera first. Also, ensure that the old opera.desktop file (or opera-browser.desktop file) is removed. If you leave directory /root/.opera in place (or copy it over) the new installation will use those settings.

It has been tested on Racy, Wary, Precise and Slacko. It probably will work with other Puppy variants that include Squashfs 4.0 but I have not tested it. Having several Puppy variants on my PC the SFS route seems the way to go for browsers that constantly need updating.

Opera works with the mplayer-plugin found in Wary and Racy. These are not included in Slacko and Precise but can be copied into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins where Opera will find them.

This SFS file is intended for FRUGAL installs not full installs.
Last edited by Terryphi on Sun 23 Feb 2020, 16:15, edited 40 times in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Terryphi

Working well in spup-056, tested some youtube vids, all good. Barry's blog renders fine, I heard it can be troublesome.

Any reason I couldn't download from your site with wget? Kept getting 403 error, downloaded fine through seamonkey.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Terryphi

#3 Post by Terryphi »

01micko: Thanks for testing. Sorry, but wget is blocked across the whole of my site because of attempted bad behaviour using wget on other areas. I have amended the original post so that others are aware. Some troublesome IP addresses are also blocked. ;)

I would be interested to get reports if it works OK on earlier versions of Puppy.

Terryphi

#4 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to the latest development snapshot (build 2039.)

See first post in this thread for download location.

Terryphi

#5 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to the beta version (build 2048.)

Terryphi

#6 Post by Terryphi »

The usual username and password are required to be able to download the SFS. If you do not know what they are please PM me.

Terryphi

#7 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to the release candidate (build 2081.)

Terryphi

#8 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to release candidate 3.1 (build 2087.)

Terryphi

#9 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to the final version (build 2092.)

You can also try Opera's new free mail service, My Opera Mail, which uses the highly regarded FastMail infrastructure. It has strong spam protection and you can access mail via webmail, POP or IMAP.

Go to https://mail.opera.com/.

Terryphi

#10 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to Opera 11.11 (build 2109) which is the latest official release. It includes bug fixes and an important security fix.

[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

This package kills CUPS. The files inside belong to the user ftp:ftp instead of root:root.

Terryphi

#12 Post by Terryphi »

rcrsn51 wrote:This package kills CUPS. The files inside belong to the user ftp:ftp instead of root:root.
Oops! Thanks for pointing this out, rcrsn51. Fixed now and re-uploaded. See first post in this thread for download location.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Terryphi

#13 Post by Terryphi »

If you downloaded this SFS package before 1 June 2011 please download again. The previous version killed CUPS. Replacing the SFS with the latest version will solve the problem.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Terryphi

#14 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to Opera 11.50 (build 1074) which is the latest official release.

lithpr

#15 Post by lithpr »

Running this via SFS-Exec in a Lucid 5.2.5 derivative, posting from this now. Excellent performance, excellent rendering speed, IRC client is great as always. There was a weird delay the first time I opened gmail, but subsequent attempts have loaded fast- it was probably just a momentary glitch on the server-side.

I haven't tried some things like the Opera Unite stuff, but so far, this is top-notch software, packaged perfectly.

Thank you very much!

willem1940NLD

#16 Post by willem1940NLD »

Using puppy 525 full on USB stick; older computer, HD removed, cannot boot from USB so using CD for startup. 995MHz, 1GB RAM

Installed SFS, cranky reboot, no Opera in menu. Several restarts, Xorg troubles, more restarts, Xorg O.k, still no Opera in menu. Removed SFS, downloaded and installed again, several restarts and crashing Xorg, finally o.k and working now.

Will Opera ever get mediaplayer connectivity? In former versions I read it might use a specific mozilla/vlc plugin nowhere to find.

Terryphi

#17 Post by Terryphi »

willem1940NLD: Opera uses the media plugins available in your version of Puppy. To see what Opera "sees" go to Tools>Advanced>Plugins.

Check or amend settings for a particular file type in Preferences>Advanced>Downloads.

willem1940NLD

#18 Post by willem1940NLD »

Thanks, found the plugins table all set for use. This must be new because earlier Opera-versions only offered to download files on web I touched, except for Flash which worked well.

O.k now, tested it and it picks avi and the lot.

sheldonisaac

#19 Post by sheldonisaac »

Terryphi wrote:I have updated the SFS to Opera 11.50 (build 1074) which is the latest official release.

Can someone help with it on this older computer under Puppy 214X?

See
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... eb8#542116

Thanks much,

Sheldon

willem1940NLD

#20 Post by willem1940NLD »

willem1940NLD wrote:Thanks, found the plugins table all set for use. This must be new because earlier Opera-versions only offered to download files on web I touched, except for Flash which worked well.

O.k now, tested it and it picks avi and the lot.
Correction .... my confusion .... it was Chromium that did not connect to mediaplayers.