What settings were used after sensing my xwin hard reboot?

Booting, installing, newbie
j-unplugged

What settings were used after sensing my xwin hard reboot?

#1 Post by j-unplugged »

I booted ok, when entering x, i had similar unreadable display as other distros. I had to pull the plug and hard reboot. when restarting, Puppy sensed that the shutdown was abnormal and helped me reconfigure x settings. - that's really amazing and it did work.

My question is, what did it do? if it didn't use xvesa or xorg, what is it using or, how do i find out?

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

The wizard should have asked you if you wanted to use Vesa or Xorg. It used one of those.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

j-unplugged

#3 Post by j-unplugged »

ok, i see from 'configure' icon on desktop that xorg and xvesa currently installed and running x server is Xorg.

I have that available in some other distros, but it doesn't work, so i'll have to dig a little deeper to find what the settings are.

Next, I'll have to find, What config file to check for that?

MU

#4 Post by MU »

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

You can copy that over to your other distro to test it.

Mark

j-unplugged

#5 Post by j-unplugged »

Thanks for reply.

I tried the xfbdev xserver for DSL and it worked, (i really thought i tried that before...) but the desktop is limited, not able to display the full enhanced version and some apps won't load - i guess it's a memory limitation or maybe i need to reinstall it to the jumpdrive for this machine, off of the cd it is weird too.

But - in Puppy, my desktop looks great, so what I'd really like to do is get it going with the usb NIC and go in the Puppy direction...

but i'll look at the config file as a start.