spup-121.02 pre-alpha3 based on 13.37

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

openchrome

#381 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

Just tried spup121.02 k2.6.35 pristine manual frugal install on my desktop pc.

I've just bought a new monitor for this pc and it has 1366*768 resolution.

Boot to desktop appeared to work but on x-restart after setting personal preference xwin failed to startup.

I'm getting a mv: VIA......... error message when I reboot and xwin does not start.

I can get a working screen at the correct 1366*768 resolution by going through the sequence:
xorgwizard - choose openchrome - test - xwin
but this is not persistent through a reboot due to the error above.

xorgwizard - probe doesn't work as it only gives 1024*768 resolution.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#382 Post by 01micko »

pemasu.. thanks for that, I better take a look at PUI when I get a chance.

~

Touchpad users, this pet attached will start the touchpad at reboot/restart X.. I stole it out of puppeee.

~

peebee, try the above pet intended for playdayz. I may have to look further into this. Your case may be one that is better off without a xorg.conf.

Cheers
Attachments
flsynclient_startup-1.pet
(380 Bytes) Downloaded 290 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#383 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:peebee, try the above pet intended for playdayz. I may have to look further into this. Your case may be one that is better off without a xorg.conf.
Cheers
Hi Mick

Installed the .pet - restarted x - same error and xwin didn't start.

Went through the sequence to get the desktop back - rebooted - same error and xwin didn't start.

The full error is:

mv: target 'VIA_K8M890CEBenQG925HDA' is not a directory

the last bit is the make/model of my new monitor

Cheers
Peter

p.s. will try the flsynclient .pet on my laptop shortly
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jim1911

#384 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote: Jim1911..

Of course wbar configuration does need some tweaking. At the moment it's not high on my list but it will get done.

I'll see if I can reproduce your error with the wallpapers. There was some similar bug awhile ago and it turned out to be the wallpaper setter It was supposed to be fixed. Are you having trouble copying anything else to ext4?
EDIT: I just tried Jim and it was ok.. are you using a full install? My pupsave is on ext4, my full is on ext3.. I grabbed some of those images from futwerk, he posted a heap of walls, I saw you had some, I also saw he most likely accidentally, put commas in the filename. I saved them in my full install, transferred to pupsave and no problems. However the pupsave only supports up to ext3.
The problem with the right click on the directory had nothing to do with wbar, that was just the first time I right clicked on a directory. Same thing happened on another installation before installing wbar when I just right clicked on a root directory. I believe that this problem has something to do with a confllct with rox. As for the background problem, I'll rename those backgrounds and try again. However, the default icon and some others that were affected were named properly. It could have something to do with copying from an ext3 to an ext4 partition, although the backgrounds show up properly.

I'll also try to duplicate the problems above on an ext3 partition. No, haven't tried a full install of this release. I have no problems with 120 on a full hd installation on an ext4 partition. Incidentally, Wbar works great, you just have to delete some of the default entries that are not present on spup, then it runs. Your "Wbar" and "Desksetup Templates for Desk Icons" programs are super for customizing a desktop.

EDIT: Above problems do not occur on an ext3 partition, I also installed it as a full hd installation on an ext4 partition, it also does not have the above problems All extra programs have worked flawlessly on both. I am at a loss as to why these errors occur on a frugal installation on an ext4 partition.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 30 May 2011, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#385 Post by DaveS »

Jim1911 wrote:The problem with the right click on the directory had nothing to do with wbar, that was just the first time I right clicked on a directory. Same thing happened on another installation before installing wbar when I just right clicked on a root directory. I believe that this problem has something to do with a confllct with rox.
Cheers,
Jim
I have noted similar issues with Openbox. It is something to do with the focus not being transferred back to rox properly after an event by another program I think.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

peebee

#386 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Touchpad users, this pet attached will start the touchpad at reboot/restart X.. I stole it out of puppeee.
Cheers
Loaded .pet - reset flsynclient parameters - restarted x - parameters retained and touchpad working AOK - rebooted and also AOK. Thanks Mick and puppeee.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#387 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#388 Post by nooby »

Can one install both FF 5 and FF7 in Spup or will them bark at each other?

I will test the latest iso? withing 30 minutes. Just me curious on FF5 and FF7. I try out FF5 first. I get back :)

I am back. and FF 5 works good. Flash works good.

But as always the browser and picture viewer only show 1024 x 600 and not as Lupu and Snow puppy and Fluppy and Wary and Quirky all of them show 1024 x 768 so why does Spup again and again fail to show the screen size that one want?

Is that a Slack thing or what?

Ice puppy show in 1024 x 768 too so why not Spup? Very annoying.

And like others have reported something goes wrong with Xorg it don't start after setup one need to do xorgwizard again so not sure what that is all about

So not sure what to think about it at all.

Thanks Lobster I maybe start a new instance and only activate FF7 on that one. Easier for me. Thanks for telling about it.
Last edited by nooby on Mon 30 May 2011, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#389 Post by Lobster »

nooby wrote:Can one install both FF 5 and FF7 in Spup or will them bark at each other?
Yes. Leave ff5 to run from existing icon
and go to /usr/share/Firefox or whereever you have installed FF7 and run from there or copy runtime to desktop and assign new icon . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Aitch

#390 Post by Aitch »

Initially, the universal installer would not install to hdd with error "cannot be mounted currently mounted read-write does not have lupusave.3f.file in it"
Is it me or should that be....

....does not have lupusave.3fs.file in it

.....?

Aitch :)
Last edited by Aitch on Mon 30 May 2011, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#391 Post by DaveS »

Lobster wrote:
nooby wrote:Can one install both FF 5 and FF7 in Spup or will them bark at each other?
and go to /usr/share/Firefox or whereever you have installed FF7 and run from there or copy runtime to desktop and assign new icon . . . 8)
Dont you get a conflict in /root/.mozilla/firefox?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#392 Post by playdayz »

Hey 01micko, Progress. I installed the pet, deleted the two files, and rebooted. On reboot everything was A-OK, just like on first boot, 1280x960 @ 85HZ.

On second boot, this time it looks like we have the radeon driver, *but* resolution is not the same, now it is, again, 1600x1200 @60Hz (Hurts my eyes!)

I can fix it with xorgwizard or with Setup -> Personalize Settings, but I am thinking you want it to work without having to do that. (I fixed it with Personalize Settings and then rebooted and it kept the proper resolution.)

Add> I just thought to mention. When xorg configures on first boot the resolution is 1280x960 @85Hz. This is labeled *preferred* However, when fixing the second boot 1600x1200 in Personalized Settings or xorgwizard, the 1280x960 option is not available--the nearest is 1280x1024 @ 75Hz.

Cheers,
Attachments
pd-video2.tar.gz
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 30 May 2011, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#393 Post by nooby »

DaveS wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Dont you get a conflict in /root/.mozilla/firefox?
guess one does. But I had no idea how to get the FF7 going so I did not dare to take it down. But I usually get a conflict with Semonkey and FF but this time it just worked. Flash and all.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gnz11

#394 Post by gnz11 »

just install the .tar.gz in a directory.then run it from that directory using the firefox script icon in that directory. that keeps them from conflicting

nooby

#395 Post by nooby »

Yes that sounds cool.. I feel too chicken I almost never managed to deal with tar things. I am not on that level yet

But thanks for the cheer up :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sc0ttman

#396 Post by sc0ttman »

If anyone is interested, I have updated Woofy (a simple remaster tool)..

Why post here?

Well, Woofy now supports the most recent Woof builds (with ones with short kernel versions, such as Spup Alpha and Dpup Squeezed).. Woofy allows you to remaster with or without a zdrv, and should now name the zdrv correctly for Spup alpha and all others, based on the main SFS name...

Woofy should be easy enough for most users, and if anyone wants to help test it, or just use it to create their own Spup, then Woofy can be found here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=429229

Thanks.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

pemasu

#397 Post by pemasu »

Testing gnome-mplayer and gecko-mediaplayer compiling. They needs to be same versions. So install both if you want to test latest versions.
I couldnt find any configure files to see how these are compiled but I know the master compiler follows this thread.

Gecko-mediaplayer

Code: Select all

./configure CFLAGS="-mtune=i486 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --with-gconf=yes
Gnome-mplayer

./configure CFLAGS="-mtune=i486 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --with-alsa --with-dbus --without-libnotify --enable-panscan --with-gconf=yes
Attachments
gnome-mplayer-1.03.pet
(131.86 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
gnome_DOC-mplayer-1.03.pet
(45.03 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
gecko-mediaplayer-1.03.pet
(173.02 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
gecko_NLS-mediaplayer-1.03.pet
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
gecko_DOC-mediaplayer-1.03.pet
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 31 May 2011, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#398 Post by playdayz »

Hi pemasu, When I compiled gecko-mediaplayer I thought I had to include

--with-plugin-dir=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

And with gnome-mplayer I used these:

--with-libmusicbrainz3 --with-pulseaudio=no
libmusicbraniz is only necessary if you want it to look up album covers for the songs it is playing--which I really like ;-) The pulseaudio=no was for Lucid where it wouldn't compile otherwise--slacko must have pulseaudio. So maybe nothing different for you there.

CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, I was setting as environment variables--see the thread on compiling Firefox. But I was using them to compile for a particular architecture. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67756

I think you are missing a dash on gnome-mplayer the last item -with-gconf=yes should be --with-gconf=yes.

Finally, I was able to compile with -O3, for highest optimization--no big deal I am sure. As I understand it, -O2 is considered more usual.

I did not use --enable-panscan--that seems like a good feature if it is to play DVD's.

The ones I compiled are at http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index6.html
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 30 May 2011, 22:46, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#399 Post by James C »

Seems like it's time for another gratuitous KDE screenshot..... :lol:
Attachments
spup-120.50-kde.png
(174.85 KiB) Downloaded 1197 times

Jim1911

#400 Post by Jim1911 »

James C wrote:Seems like it's time for another gratuitous KDE screenshot..... :lol:
Where can we get the KDE desktop program, so we can use the KDE desktop also?