I tried to build also in Puppy 4.3.1, but I had some weird errors needing further investigation:
Version 0.1.8 (2011-05-28)
* Show more accurate error messages when the file can't be loaded (#116).
* When reloading a document it doesn't move at the document's beginning (#144) and remembers whether the side bar was shown.
* New man page (François Wendling).
* Save a copy dialog asks before overwriting files.
* Added scroll bars to the printer selection window (Ivor Buijs).
* Fixed non-working mouse wheel under some conditions (#118).
* Removed assertion conditions (#167).
* It is possible to look for an slash ("/") in the text.
* Fixed Enter and Backspace behaviour (Michal Schmidt).
* The selection box is now displayed on the correct location (#249).
* Fixed memory leaks on search (Jim Ramsay) (#212).
* Fixed errors when saving an encrypted document using Poppler 0.8.0.
* ePDFView is now a GUI application under Windows (Fridrich Strba).
* Added support for Poppler versions 0.15.0 (Michal Schmidt), 0.15.1 (Dennis Sheil), 0.16.2 (Jakob Gruber), and 0.17.0.