Q: Simple toolset / language for Puppy AND XP execution?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
brodders

Q: Simple toolset / language for Puppy AND XP execution?

#1 Post by brodders »

Hi,

Some advice please on if there is a straightforward way on Puppy to create executables that can run on both Puppy and XP.

My situation is that I'm moving files via USB stick between a Windows XP machine at work and a Puppy box at home.

Now I'm happy to write bash scripts to do file sync at the Puppy end, but am presently doing this manually at the XP box. They are scattered around and it's easy to miss something... I'm not really a coder (it's been decades since I last wrote something non-trivial).

I'd like to write a simple app (in Basic, Pascal, C - or similar) that I can compile and debug on Puppy which would also run on the XP box (perhaps by build flags or a run-time environment).

What's the best way to achieve this? I'm happy for this to be a command line executable. All it's got to do is make sure the file timestamps are right each-way, and no files/dirs are missing.

Is there a way to do this??

Your suggestions :)
Thanks!

brodders

lithpr

#2 Post by lithpr »

Hi,

One very real option, i think, is tcl/tk. Although standard pup's don't come with it (recent ones include the exceptionally cool "Jim" language, which is largely compatible with tcl), you can get a 'tclkit' that is only 1.5 megs that includes full tcl 8.5.9 and Tk, the gui toolkit. Tcl runs very well on Linux, Windows, and Mac.

Lithpr

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Adding to Lithpr's suggestion, while tclkits are OS specific, i.e. you would need one for linux, and a separate one for windows, you can use tclkits to make a starpack, which will run whichever internal tclkit is approppriate for the OS.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/8900

jpeps

#4 Post by jpeps »

muggins wrote:Adding to Lithpr's suggestion, while tclkits are OS specific, i.e. you would need one for linux, and a separate one for windows, you can use tclkits to make a starpack, which will run whichever internal tclkit is approppriate for the OS.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/8900
I'm always surprised how little tcl/tk is used. I discovered it when I first began using linux, and rewrote all my business software in it. It's a fairly easy language to learn, and runs on everything.

brodders

#5 Post by brodders »

Excellent!

I remember a Tcl book I got 10 years ago, so I've even got an (old) reference to go by! Hope I've still got it...

Thanks guys!

brodders