Suddenly grub4dos does'nt see multiple frugals anymore

Booting, installing, newbie
nancy reagan

Suddenly grub4dos does'nt see multiple frugals anymore

#1 Post by nancy reagan »

Until recently I thought I knew how to make frugals and manage them with grub4dos.

However: not anymore.

Format stick with partitioner to ext2 (even once fat32).

Made different directories with the frugals : mounted iso and copied all (to be sure nothing missing) files, even only with initrz vmlnz sfs, but does not make diff.

Then I thought maybe the first has to go to the root and the rest be placed in subdirs.

Even made several partitions, no diff.

So what worked before, all of a sudden not anymore.

Could it be that "deleting and thereafter formatting to" is not thorough enough ?

Any clues ? what worked before not anymore

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please be more specific. What exactly goes wrong when you try to boot?

nancy reagan

it's not the boot but the "not seeing" frugals by grub4dos

#3 Post by nancy reagan »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Please be more specific. What exactly goes wrong when you try to boot?
Thanks for your attention.

First, when I try to -install- grub4dos to the stick, it does not see any dir.

Only when I copy the files to the root of the stick, grubd4dos sees it, but not the other frugals in subdirs.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

What Puppy version are you using?

nancy reagan

all versions

#5 Post by nancy reagan »

rcrsn51 wrote:What Puppy version are you using?
Atm Fluppy but same happens to lucid 525 540 all whith different sticks.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tested this in Lupu 525 and it definitely DID find installs in directories.

Try booting off a Live CD using "puppy pfix=ram" and see if you can duplicate the problem.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Not sure if it is related. I made use of the Grub 1.97 you made so I could test ubuntus and it showed same issues. Some entries did not show up and to my eyes them looked similar to those that really do show up so maybe it has to do with us both using ubs flash memory. It has never happen on HDD.

What differ here is that nancy see nothing while me say at least some but many never was able to see.

It helped me to make the menu.lst file executable that allowed several to be seen. Maybe totally unrelated. I know too little but in case it helps just mention it I can edit this post if it is too misleading then say so.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nancy reagan

#8 Post by nancy reagan »

@rcrsn 'll try to install grub4dos from cd and see. Think to remember that I tried that also the other day.

Would it help if I formatted to ext3 or 4 ?

@nooby
nooby wrote:Not sure if it is related. I made use of the Grub 1.97 you made so I could test ubuntus and it showed same issues. Some entries did not show up and to my eyes them looked similar to those that really do show up so maybe it has to do with us both using ubs flash memory. It has never happen on HDD.

What differ here is that nancy see nothing while me say at least some but many never was able to see.

It helped me to make the menu.lst file executable that allowed several to try be seen. Maybe totally unrelated. I know too little but in case it helps just mention it I can edit this post if it is too misleading then say so.
You might be right that it's got to do with flash, on the other hand did not have this prob before, or rather, indeed some did and others did not show up.

Maybe you could explain what you understand by "make the menu.lst executable ... to to be seen".

Look forward to your successes.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Nancy I am a kind of computer challenged person or rather a poor thinker so at times when nothing works my way I get very impatient and desperate and then I do wild things that most likely most often fails so I had the crazy idea what if the grub.cfg file in grub2 need to be executable to be able to work in case it has to do with update thing.

totally wild idea that most likely is a bad thing but suddenly some of the files was shown. I would not recommend you do such things though.

I have been a Radio Repair person and a Telecom repair person and I was bad at it. All the others in the course was better than what I was.

But what we did learn from the Teachers was to be very methodical and that it is important to write down every thing one test and the circumstances when one tested something or looked for something to test.

And also to be systematic in a hierarchical sense. To test in order of top down and bottom up.

Take a radio. Does the power supply from the mains to the inner circuit get power to work. First things first. Is the plug in the wall and the power button on. I mean an old man make a phone call and when we arrive a clean up person had used the main wall outlet to do vacuum and forgot to put his radio plug into the wall socket so no wonder it did not help to bang on the set. He took things for granted. He did not look at it hierarchically.

So in your situation. Do you have another usb to test it on? or another computer? or is it too much trouble to do the latest install all over? or to test other such things that seems too obvious.

one thing to look through is did I do everything exactly like those times it just worked or did you change something.

To be that methodical to go through it like one solve an Agatha Christie Murder She Says book :) What did what when and what relations to everything else. Such can help when nothing seems to work.

I am just rambling. use what seems reasonable to you.

Nancy I am writing at the top of my little knowledge and have nothing more to give so I trust that rcrsn51 and BigPup and otehrs can together with you sort it all out. Good luck.
Last edited by nooby on Sun 29 May 2011, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Where are you installing Grub4dos?
To the flash drive?
To internal hard drive?
What install options?
What names are you giving to directories of frugal installs?

Make sure this is happening.
Grub4Dos installs 3 components. One is the Boot Record and other 2 is normal files, 'grldr' and 'menu.lst'. The 'grldr' and 'menu.lst' is usually installed on the 1st partition of the target HDD/USB drive

nancy reagan

#11 Post by nancy reagan »

bigpup wrote:Where are you installing Grub4dos?
To the flash drive?
To internal hard drive?
What install options?
What names are you giving to directories of frugal installs?

Make sure this is happening.
Grub4Dos installs 3 components. One is the Boot Record and other 2 is normal files, 'grldr' and 'menu.lst'. The 'grldr' and 'menu.lst' is usually installed on the 1st partition of the target HDD/USB drive
Bigpup thanks for the attention.

Grub4dos installs it for me ..

to the flash drive
do not give special install options only "search and write to the selected usb stick"

names I give to the subdirs are rather at random like Wary May, anyway I am not looking whether it is exactly the same as the name of the sfs (and yet it always worked).

The gldr and mbr and menu.lst are placed in the root.

In short I do not give special instructions to grub4dos only "search this drive" and "place the menu list there" and yes overwrite if necessary.

Might it help if I formatted to ext3 or 4 ?

What exactly is "gldr" ?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#12 Post by Béèm »

gldr is the loader for grub.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nancy reagan

Phaps it is the -exact- name of the subdir

#13 Post by nancy reagan »

It looks as though it is caused by me not always giving the exact name of the sfs to the name of the subdir, well this might save me a lot of more trying and searching.
Hope others can also learn from it.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#14 Post by Béèm »

My numerous puppy's are all in subdirs, and the name of the subdirs don't reflect the name of the sfs. That is no problem.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]