puppy usbdrive virtualbox

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
peperino

puppy usbdrive virtualbox

#1 Post by peperino »

Hi, I'm trying to attain the UBIQUITOUS PUPPY!

I've installed Puppy 5.2 on a SD card.

I boot the card into my eeePC701, fine.

I boot the card into a cheapo card reader into my laptop, fine.

Now, in order to be really UBIQ, I'm trying to run the same card as a virtual drive into virtualbox, this way I could carry around ALL virtualbox install programs into a folder inside the card itself and I'll be able to run my beloved puppy in the exact same state I left it before on ANY system I'll put my dirty hand on!!!

Using this guide I issued this command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /mnt/sda/5/VIRTOS/DSK-IMGS/USBDRIVE.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdb1
where USBDRIVE.vmdk is the virtual usb drive and /dev/sdb1 is the physical usb drive.
It boots fine, loads vmlinux fine then initrd (I think) fine, then it try to find lupu_520.sfs digging inside the drive with no success.

Any suggestion, thx?

peperino

#2 Post by peperino »

I've tried other experiments with no success, so far.

I just had a doubt: is this section of the forum about virtual machines running on puppy rather than puppy being emulated on virtual machines?

thx

Darkgame

#3 Post by Darkgame »

ive made my own experiment, and it worked.
Make a new virtual machine in puppy. Save the hard disk in /mnt/home
open the setting. Make a share folder. Again, point it to /mnt/home
auto mount it.
There, yr ultimate portable windows.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

I go further.
I have a bootable USB 1inch drive of 30Gb with both 4.2 and 5.2 Puppies (along with Hiren's) on it and both have Virtualbox.
Now the sneaky bit, the USB is partitioned with a 15Gb NTFS as well as the Fat32 and the NTFS contains the Virtual machine which is a FULL XP Pro with Office 2003 etc. The most useful bits of which are Outlook that can interface with clients mail systems, and Powerpoint for those awkward presentations that just won't work elsewhere.
The thing is that with just 1.5Gb of memory any machine will run the XP virtual machine in memory (generous 512mb for Puppy and 1Gb for XP) and the hosts disks are not touched although swap space would be useful.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett