Wanted: fsck.ntfs

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Moose On The Loose

Wanted: fsck.ntfs

#1 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Puppy does not seem to have any fsck.ntfs

I have a machine with Windows-7 and puppy linux on it. The Windows-7 at 2 partitions. On of them seems to be messed up but Windows-7 doesn't seem to want to repair it automatically when I boot or anything like that. I really fear doing anything on the Windows-7 side of things because I am almost certain that it will mess up the Puppy partition.

After booting the Windows-7, the puppy quit working, so it is not just an irrational fear I have.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy way of fixing this.

rcrsn51

Re: Wanted: fsck.ntfs

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Moose On The Loose wrote:Does anyone know of a trustworthy way of fixing this.
That's asking a lot. :wink:

However, Puppy does have the "ntfsfix /dev/sdxy" command. In XP, this does some basic filesystem checks, then schedules a Windows disk scan on the next reboot.

OTOH, Windows can be damaged in a variety of ways besides corruption in the filesystem.

Moose On The Loose

Re: Wanted: fsck.ntfs

#3 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Moose On The Loose wrote:Does anyone know of a trustworthy way of fixing this.
That's asking a lot. :wink:

However, Puppy does have the "ntfsfix /dev/sdxy" command. In XP, this does some basic filesystem checks, then schedules a Windows disk scan on the next reboot.

OTOH, Windows can be damaged in a variety of ways besides corruption in the filesystem.
Thanks, I did not know about ntfsfix. I may give it a try. For that matter, I am sure I will unless someone comes in with a warning that it will cause the end of the universe as we know it. :wink: