The Future of Puppy Linux

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
jonyo

#441 Post by jonyo »

yes you can easely take all that you've learned and reluctantly go somewhere else

it is the inherent beauty and equalizer of freedom of choice that one ought not to mess with
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 24 May 2011, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

puppyite

#442 Post by puppyite »

Then The Future of Puppy Linux is assured. :)

jonyo

#443 Post by jonyo »

i'd call that optimistic and remains to be seen

waaaaaaaay bigger fish have come and gone

in a nutshell right now for me

to root or not to root

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Mv3X4iFvI

or perhaps to be or not to be

to fix or not

to be about problems or solutions

stable or not etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVeaIHW ... re=related

there is a ton of talent out there watching what pup is up to

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#444 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

puppyite wrote:Bernie_by_the_Sea,
Read and learn.
Learn what? That information in wikis is always incomplete, often subjective, and never to be relied on? I knew that already.
Most software in Slackware uses the configuration mechanisms supplied by the software's original authors; there are few distribution-specific mechanisms. This is the reason there are so few GUI tools to configure the system. As a result, users with less knowledge of command line interfaces may experience a steeper learning curve when using Slackware.
Could it be that this is where you got the notion that Slackware is wanting in the GUI department? Did it ever occur to you that using the original authors’ configuration methods might be superior to a GUI devised for a specific distro? Do Puppy users expect to be spoon fed forever, always living in fear of the command line? I guess Puppy users are the TV dinner crowd who can’t even grill a hamburger. Lightweight and fast for children who never grow up. Some don't even know there's anything better than a TV dinner. They don't know which fork to use first at an eight-course dinner and tableside options from the dessert cart can confuse the hell out of 'em. Forget the wine list. Good thing there are volunteer keepers in Puppy who know best what dummies need.

More to the point how exactly does installing a Slack package in Puppy rely on GUIs in Slack? So Slack is a terrifying word to children. Is hiding under the Ubuntu bed with the Puppy the best way to get over an irrational fear? Must Puppy users remain childish forever?
[color=green]Frugal[/color]: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
[color=blue]USB[/color]: DSL 4.4.10
[color=red]Full[/color]: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.

jonyo

#445 Post by jonyo »

they'd better start getting with ..ummm A program

unruly kids is not my cup of tea or problem
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 24 May 2011, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

puppyite

#446 Post by puppyite »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
Read and learn.
Learn what? That information in wikis is always incomplete, often subjective, and never to be relied on? I knew that already.
Do be sure to let wikipedia know that they can delete their site due to the aforementioned reasoning, meh.

jonyo

#447 Post by jonyo »

i'll just throw my 2c in on this one i'm sure i can be educated by others

keep in mind also that i'm quite clueless in what exactly is going on here

For ubuntu
an association with THE big dawg that started

and as i understand barely works outa the box

for all to see and sample

Now there is a shift over to slackware, why?

i have dabbled there but might as well be ignorant

if this or any topic is of any interest and gets crazy it can become a separate topic or thread
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 24 May 2011, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

puppyite

#448 Post by puppyite »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:Do Puppy users expect to be spoon fed forever, always living in fear of the command line? I guess Puppy users are the TV dinner crowd who can’t even grill a hamburger. Lightweight and fast for children who never grow up. Good thing there are volunteer keepers in Puppy who know best what dummies need. Must Puppy users remain childish forever?
I suggest you make a new thread about how juvenile Puppy Linux users are, I’d like to see how that goes, seriously.

jonyo

#449 Post by jonyo »

took the words outa my mouth ..in regards to topics

and i'm not a fan of command line whatsoever
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 24 May 2011, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

puppyite

#450 Post by puppyite »

Bernie,
You better be ready to do some smoky burn outs in your Hoveround if you’re looking to keep up with me. :)

jonyo

#451 Post by jonyo »

going over older posts no question easy is for me and i'll repeat easy means catering to the win crowd, that is if interested in new people

this part jumps out at me
It is a fact that who you associate with sends a signal about who you are and what you stand for. IMO associating Puppy Linux with Slackware sends a very bad message.
so don't be talking easy with that

i also have no use for RTFM from anyone, at the least give me a link
puppyite wrote:This is on topic:
puppyite wrote:In the OP I made the case that the wisest decision ever made was to incorporate Ubuntu software in Puppy Linux. I still believe this to be the case.

In contrast I believe that basing Puppy Linux 5.3 (or whatever next designation is) on Slackware is the worst decision imaginable.

It is a fact that who you associate with sends a signal about who you are and what you stand for. IMO associating Puppy Linux with Slackware sends a very bad message.

My opinion based on what I read is that Slackware is one of the worst if not the worst distro available. I would characterize it as a “fundamentalist distro
Last edited by jonyo on Wed 25 May 2011, 01:05, edited 4 times in total.

MinHundHettePerro

#452 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

jonyo wrote:going over older posts no question easy is for me and i'll repeat easy means catering to the win crowd, that is if interested in new people

this part jumps out at me
so don't be talking easy with that

i also have no use for RTFM from anyone, at the least give me a link
puppyite wrote:This is on topic:
puppyite wrote:In the OP I made the case that the wisest decision ever made was to incorporate Ubuntu software in Puppy Linux. I still believe this to be the case.

In contrast I believe that basing Puppy Linux 5.3 (or whatever next designation is) on Slackware is the worst decision imaginable.

My opinion based on what I read is that Slackware is one of the worst if not the worst distro available. I would characterize it as a “fundamentalist distro
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

jonyo

#453 Post by jonyo »

i can't comment on 3x other than i mostly moved on around that time and don't remember

in regards to RTFM, i have no use for anyone who uses it regularly or a forum that not only openly allows it but then by association promotes it

small things lead to big things witch of course RTFM becomes the least of it

then you end up with no end to bs

i come to a linux os forum primarily to talk OS if I wanna talk something else i go off topic or somewhere else

you either have order or disorder

not trying to stay on topic is a waste of time

i have to wonder why puppy is associated with slax at all it's a contradiction to the pup mission statement

no doubt it would benefit them and i doubt ubuntu cares much what goes on here
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 24 May 2011, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#454 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Read and learn.
Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:Learn what? That information in wikis is always incomplete, often subjective, and never to be relied on? I knew that already.
puppyite wrote:Do be sure to let wikipedia know that they can delete their site due to the aforementioned reasoning, meh.
You seem to have serious reading difficulties. Note I said “in wikis,
[color=green]Frugal[/color]: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
[color=blue]USB[/color]: DSL 4.4.10
[color=red]Full[/color]: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.

mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

#455 Post by mickee »

puppyite wrote:Further I believe that association with Slackware will attract elitist users who worship the terminal and offer such sage wisdom to new users as RTFM (F for obscenity) or Google is your friend. YMMV
I have my fill of CLI supporting 100's of users on SCO UNIX, so I usually don't want to have to do that on a regular basis, barring the times when only the CLI will do a job. I prefer a GUI. I know that CLI is faster, but I truly have better things to store in my brain, after a hard days work. So the GUI that puppy has fits me to a T. Basically, I am saying I am lazy. But only with my home OS's.
Last edited by mickee on Wed 25 May 2011, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

Bruce B

#456 Post by Bruce B »

Puppy is not based on Ubuntu, Debian or Slackware.

If I install a software package from any of the above repositories, it's
still Puppy. I can mix, match, or roll my own.

~

Q5sys

#457 Post by Q5sys »

jonyo wrote:Further I believe that association with Slackware will attract elitist users who worship the terminal and offer such sage wisdom to new users as RTFM (F for obscenity) or Google is your friend. YMMV

Yes Slackware has a aura of 'CLI or die' but thats hardly the case. Thats a persistant belief that you are forced to use the CLI in slackware. Perhaps thats because the installer is only text based, but once you install the system... thats not the case. here is a fresh install of SlackWare64 13.37. (click pic for larger size)

All I did was install the system via the installer. reboot, login as root, run the Nvidia driver package (a single command at the CLI), reboot and type 'startx'. I just opened some programs so you can see there is GUI available.
You can see my screen size there... there would be NO reason for that much screen real-estate if slackware forced CLI down anyones throat.

And as far as the RTFM comment. Really that should rarely be used unless the person is seasoned with linux and is just being lazy. The only other time it should EVER be used is if someone asks such a stupid question that it does not need to be answered, E.G. 'Where is the power switch on my computer", "How do I make PopTarts", etc.
Hell even the Arch forums dont yell RTFM all the time... and they call themselves the "Linux distribution targeted at competent Linux users" (their exact words)

jonyo

#458 Post by jonyo »

these are not my quotes in the above mickee and q5 posts
puppyite wrote:Further I believe that association with Slackware will attract elitist users who worship the terminal and offer such sage wisdom to new users as RTFM (F for obscenity) or Google is your friend. YMMV

Q5sys

#459 Post by Q5sys »

jonyo wrote:these are not my quotes in the above mickee and q5 posts
Ah sorry mate. I just copied the last reference I saw. My mistake.
I wish that the forum was set up so when you quote someone it makes a direct link back to the original post. Sadly its not set up this way. Helps to verify what someone said.

jonyo

#460 Post by jonyo »

no sweat