Epson scanner driver

For drivers and kernel modules.
simes

V330 working on Ubuntu 10.04

#21 Post by simes »

Thanks for the idea - I have a (rarely used) Ubuntu 10.04 install so have tried installing there. After several attempts this worked. I had to install SANE 1.0.14 (I stupidly assumed at first that SANE was a pre-req to XSANE, but it isn't), and the Epson driver installation requires that SANE is installed before the driver without explicitly making it a dependency. Then I got similar errors to my Lucid Puppy install - couldn't communicate with scanner, etc. I then realised that the third file on the Epson drivers page (esci-interpreter-perfection-v330_0.0.1-1_i386.deb) is a plug-in specifically for this printer. With the plug-in installed, ImageScan talks to the printer, but not without. Would you advise trying to install the plug-in on Lucid Puppy?

EDIT: Just seen your Update! We have been working on this in parallel, I think. Thanks for your help. Will try the plug-in on Puppy.

2nd EDIT: Tested the esci-interpreter-... PET on Lucid Puppy 5.2 and it works, thank you. The V330 now works on ISCAN and also on XSANE (though startup on both is very slow - as it is on Ubuntu). And ISCAN can be started as a plug-in from GIMP. Many thanks to rcrsn51.

One footnote however for anyone else who is considering this scanner. The Linux drivers (or possibly the Linux interface apps) are lower function than the W*nd*ws ones, much as I hate to say this. In particular the clever manipulation of transparencies and negatives that can be done in the Epson W*nd*ws app (e.g. scan a strip of 6 negatives, separate them into 6 images automatically, adjust the contrast and brightness of each individually during the scan) isn't available. The W*nd*ws drivers don't work under WINE, unsurprisingly, so some functions are just going to mean booting that emergency W*nd*ws system.

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's good news! I should have trusted Epson to have a working driver. :wink:
The Linux drivers (or possibly the Linux interface apps) are lower function than the W*nd*ws ones,
Unfortunately, that's true with many printer/scanner units. But it's a far cry from a few years ago when it was a real crap-shoot to find a printer supported by Puppy. Now you can go into any computer store and find lots of models that will give you at least basic functionality.

BTW, here's a trick for making your scanner start faster. Open the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and delete all the entries except for your model.

sandlynx

NX215 all-in-one

#23 Post by sandlynx »

I first edited the /etc/sane.d/dll.cong file and uncommented the "epson" entry. (Note: I am running Wary 5.)
I then installed epkowa-2.26.0.pet which is supposed to work well in Peasyscan.
It kind of works in Peasyscan. It will scan the image, but the images do not save to the file I specify, and when I close file manager and go back to take another look at the image, it's gone! It didn't save to the specified location. It did--at first try--save to /root/. I closed file manager and took another look at /root/ for the image and it had also disappeared!
I then tried Xsane, and it works for me beautifully. Scans the image, saves to the specified location and prints it out too (through mtPaint image editor but not through Viewnior image viewer).
Thank you so much for the person who wrote this file (epkowa-2.26.0.pet). I really appreciate having an all-in-one that does all it's supposed to. As yet I don't know if 'Print Photo' or 'Index Sheet' works since I don't yet have an SD card to test with.
Maybe I got the instructions backwards? Anyhow, it's scanning and I'm happy. Thank you.

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to hear that you got your NX215 scanning.

If you go back to the Avasys site, you will see the second scanner package named iscan-2.26.3-1_i386.deb. If you install it, you can run your scanner using Epson's Iscan program.
/root/.
If you are using a "dot" in the filename, you are declaring it to be a hidden file. Maybe that's why you can't find it. Just type a name like "scan.png" in the file box without specifying a path, and see what happens. The file should be saved to /root by default.

Also, are you clicking the Save button in the main Peasyscan screen?

Karl Godt

#25 Post by Karl Godt »

First , I want to thank jamesbond ,MU and Caneri for providing the source and dotPET for --version 2.19.0 .

Now 2andahalf year later I have to say , that the dotPET works good on MacPup_Foxy3 with the Epson Stylus SX410/415 ScannerPrinter .

I could not get the source to compile , because of a dozen symbols not being able to link in at the end .

It really needs the epkowa entry in the dll.conf file with the entry
usb 0x04b8 0x0851

obtainable by `cat /proc/bus/usb/devices` with output as
P: Vendor=04b8 ProdID=0851 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=EPSON
S: Product=USB2.0 MFP

I did not comment 'epson' and 'epson2' .

Against Xsane Iscan seems to work also more than one scan with the usblp and the usb-storage module loaded . On Xsane I got an IOerror the second scan and the dmesg commad told Xsane wanted to use the port but it had been claimed by usblp and after `rmmod usblp` the same happened with 'usb-storage' . After I rmmoded that kernel module also , Xsane could work several scans in a row .

Iscan is more simple , but offers me
+ a much larger amounts of dpi to choose from .

Disadvantages are
- 'Xdialog -filesect' , that does not offer to create diirectories .
- it seems not to have a gray scan possibility
- it has no picture GUI to work with the scanned image after the real scan had been done .

This is just the first impression and I will report more some day .

rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

Karl Godt wrote: It really needs the epkowa entry in the dll.conf file with the entry
usb 0x04b8 0x0851
That's true with all the Epsons I have tested, despite what the epkowa.conf file says. The epkowa-2.26.4.pet posted above contains an epkowa.conf with the full set of vendor/product IDs.
Against Xsane Iscan seems to work also more than one scan with the usblp and the usb-storage module loaded . On Xsane I got an IOerror the second scan and the dmesg commad told Xsane wanted to use the port but it had been claimed by usblp and after `rmmod usblp` the same happened with 'usb-storage' . After I rmmoded that kernel module also , Xsane could work several scans in a row .
I have tested iscan/xsane/epkowa with numerous Puppies, including Macpup-525 and cannot duplicate this problem. I suspect that it has something to do with USB handling in Macpup Foxy. Be aware that some units need to be rebooted when switching between scanning and printing mode.

Karl Godt

#27 Post by Karl Godt »

I suspect that it has something to do with USB handling
You are right I guess , because I think so , too .
Kernel is 2.6.30.5-01SEPT09-TICKLESS-SMP .

On one installation after adding many many pkgs for compiling , xsane does not work with the sanner : does not detect it at all . This made me trying to compile newer sane and xsane , which succeeded more or less . At the end it did not work also - I suspect libusb somehow , which I may once have recompiled or installed again from debian , perhaps because of the dev-pkg .
I also tried to compile the gimp-plugin for xsane , because Mpup_F3 has got gimp-2.6.3 pre-installed and the xsane from debian also comes without the gimp-plug-in , as far as I can see , but i did not succeed with that either . Compiling gimp additionally turned out to be a huge task .

rcrsn51 , your both dotPETS do work on Macpup_F3 frugal also , after I installed libieee1284 : http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libieee1284-3 .

As far as I can see , the Iscan-User-Interface-GUI and its tools had not changed (much?) .

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

To set up an Epson Perfection V30/V300 scanner for Peasyscan/Xsane/Iscan:

1. Install the epkowa-2.29.1.5.pet and iscan-2.29.1.5.pet from Page 1.

2. Install the esci_interpreter_gt_f720-0.1.1.pet attached below. It MUST be installed AFTER the packages in #1.

3. You do NOT need to add any lines to the file /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
Attachments
esci_interpreter_gt_f720-0.1.1.pet
(153.09 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times

axel

Epson Scanner V300

#29 Post by axel »

many thanks to rcrsn51 - it works on slacko puppy 5.3.3
great work. No need to load winxp anymore
Axel

Krishnamurti Naskar

Epson TX 121 All-in-one printer

#30 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

maybe orig. post is about TX100.
still i couldn't help posting about TX121.
if anyone wanna know about TX121,
please follow this--

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79230

:wink:

Krishnamurti Naskar

Re: Epson TX 121 All-in-one printer

#31 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

Krishnamurti Naskar wrote:maybe orig. post is about TX100.
still i couldn't help posting about TX121.
if anyone wanna know about TX121,
please follow this--

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79230

:wink:
or better here-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 703#420703

Sunny

Install Epson V300 Scanner in Puppy & Fatdog

#32 Post by Sunny »

Install Epson V300 Scanner in Puppy & Fatdog in 3 easy steps:

Step 1: Download and install deb pkgs from Epson Download center.
Link: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/

For FatDog you need 3 64-bit packages:
esci-interpreter-gt-f720_0.1.1-2_amd64.deb
iscan_2.29.2-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb
iscan-data_1.24.0-2_all.deb

For Puppy you need 3 32-bit packages:
esci-interpreter-gt-f720_0.1.1-2_i386.deb
iscan_2.29.2-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb
iscan-data_1.24.0-2_all.deb

Step 2: In a terminal, execute the following command:

iscan-registry -a interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x0131 /usr/lib/esci/libesci-interpreter-gt-f720

Step 3: Edit the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file.
You want to comment out all the scanners that you are not using and add the word "epkowa" at the end of the file.
(Note that I also commented out the Epson & Epson2 scanners ... epkowa was the only scanner I listed in the dll.conf file)

That's all there is to it.

I tried this out on 64-bit Fatdog (500 & 600).
I also tried it out on Puppy-511, Slacko-5.4, & Precise-5.4
edit: Note that the 64-bit Epson package for iscan (listed in step 1) will put the libsane-epkowa files in the /usr/lib/sane folder. These should be moved/copied to the /usr/lib64/sane folder in Fatdog-700 (or you can just load the sane-backend-epkowa package from the Fatdog-700 repositories).

Note that step #2 is usually what gets missed. This command puts a file called "interpreter" in /var/lib/iscan ... This file should have a single line in it for your scanner. In this particular case, the vendor and model IDs are for the Epson V300 scanner ... if you have a different model scannner, you would need to run "lsusb" in a terminal to determine the IDs to use in step 2.
Last edited by Sunny on Fri 21 Oct 2016, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

@All:-

Just for information, for anyone who is using an SX218 (or NX220 or TX220) 'all-in-one' under Tahrpup, the data & scanner package .debs from the Epson downloads page install smoothly, and work, hassle-free, OOTB.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 49c57b39d8

Scroll down to bottom, and click 'Accept'. You can then scroll down further to find the necessary packages. You'll want the 'iscan-data_1.36.0-1_all.deb' data package, and either the 'iscan_2.30.1-1~usb0.1.ltdl3_i386.deb' or 'iscan_2.30.1-1~usb0.i.ltdl7_i386.deb' scanner packages.

Very important:-

You must install the data package before the scanner package, as the scanner package needs to be able to read the contents of the data package, in order to configure itself properly. You should then find the Epson 'Image Scan for Linux!' scanner application under 'Graphics' in the main Menu. Make sure your printer/scanner is turned on before opening the app.....it complains if you don't!

As noted by rcrsn51, XSane & PeasyScan will also work with these Epson scanners....whether 'standalone' units, or as part of an 'all-in-one'. You may need to un-comment the 'epson' and/or 'epson2' entries in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf if using XSane, as it otherwise won't detect the unit. XSane will explain this when you open the application. You also may find you need the 'epokwa' .pet; I didn't find it to be necessary. This may or may not depend on your hardware.

As also noted by russoodle, these are indeed 'versatile' drivers. In fact, Epson provide about a dozen Linux driver & data packages in total for the literally hundreds of printers & scanners that they've produced over the years.....which goes to show that the firmware hasn't changed very much at all during that time period (some 25 years by my reckoning!)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

mmichael

Epson 4180 scanner

#34 Post by mmichael »

Hi:

I’m running Tahrpup 6.0.2 on an ASUS 1000HE, with an Intel Atom 1666 MHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

I’m having problems getting an Epson Perfection 4180 scanner to run under Xsane.

• I installed epkowa-2.29.3.1.pet, posted earlier in this topic.
• In /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, I commented out the lines "epson" and "epson2" and verified that "epkowa" has been added to the end of the file.
• In the epkowa.conf file, I added “usb 0x04b8 0x0118.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi there, mmichael. And 'Welcome' to the kennels!

Hmm. Now then; your Perfection 4180 won't work with the 'iscan' package that I outlined above, because my SX218 is an-all-in-one; yours, on the other hand, is a dedicated scanner.

I'm not certain whether the procedure I'm about to outline for you will actually work.....but we'll give it a shot.

The standard response from Epson is 'We don't support Linux'. This is a load of old beeswax, 'cos they do (they are, after all, founder members of the Linux Foundation, so it's a very strange attitude to take).....but ya gotta hunt 'em up..! So, accordingly:-

Go to this web address:-

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule

This is the Epson Download centre page. Now; type into the search box exactly as I write here; 'Perfection 4180 Photo'. Then, from the OS drop-down box, select 'Linux'.

Hit the search button.

You should get a page with 4 entries. The entry that I think you want is the first one (for gcc3.2/3.3); or, it could be the second one. I'm not certain which version of gcc Tahrpup uses. Anyway....

Click on the 'Download' button for the first entry; you'll come to another page with details of supported models, and two more buttons; 'Accept' & 'Decline'. Click on 'Accept'. More of the page will then appear. The entry you want is the one ending in '....i386.rpm.' Click 'Download'.

Repeat this procedure for the second entry in the list. You're not interested in the 3rd & 4th entries, as these are for network installs, which I'm fairly safe in assuming you're not using!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right. Now; this the bit I'm not certain about. These are 'rpm' packages; Tahrpup, being Debian-based, uses '.deb' packages, other than '.pets'. But that's OK, as one of our forum members, dejan555, has produced a rather nifty little 'converter', which will turn both .deb & .rpm packages into .pet packages. I've used it myself, and it seems to work nicely.

Go to this page:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39756

A little way down, you'll see 4 downloads available. You want the first one listed (the most recent one); deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet. Download this, and then find it in your Downloads folder, and click on it to install it.

Then, locate (in your Downloads folder), the two Epson packages you downloaded earlier. If you right-click on each one in turn, you should see, at the top of the right-click context menu, 'Convert to pet'. Click on this, and in a matter of seconds, the .rpm file will be replaced by a .pet file of the same name.

Now; the moment of truth. Click on either of the two recently converted .pet files (I should start with the gcc 3.2/3.3 one first; this is the newly-created iscan-2.10.0-1.i386.pet); you'll be asked whether you want to install it. Click 'Yes', and wait for it to do its thing. When it's finished updating the help page, it's ready for use.

If you now go into the main Menu>Graphics, have a look and see if you have 'Iscan for Linux!' listed there. If you have, great; that means (hopefully) that you've got your scanner software installed, and it should be working. If not, we'll have to try the other one; but first, you'll need to un-install the one you've just installed.

Go to Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager. At this point, if you haven't already done so, you'll be offered the Tahrpup 6.02 & 6.03 updates. These are important bug-fixes, and you definitely want to install these. Click on the 6.03 update, and let the system do its thing. Once this has run its course, you should now be up to date.

Okay. To un-install the first i-scan package, find the 'Uninstall' button, and click on it. Another window will appear, with all the packages that you yourself have installed. Scroll down to the bottom of this, and click on the 'iscan 2.10.0-i386' entry. Wait a few seconds while the uninstall sequence runs its course. Very important; whatever you do, don't close the small window that appears at the top-left corner. Wait until it disappears by itself. Once the last window appears, that tells you if the uninstall has been successful, just click 'OK', and you're done.

Now we go back to Downloads. Click on the other entry;'iscan-2.10.0-1.c2.i386.pet'. Wait while this installs itself, as before.

Again, we go to Menu>Graphics, and again, look to see if 'Iscan for Linux!' is there. If it is, you're sorted. Your software is there, and should be working. If, after all this, it still hasn't appeared, then.....I'm out of ideas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming it has appeared, make sure your scanner is powered on before you try to open 'Iscan for Linux!' It'll complain about not finding it otherwise! Once the program has opened, it's easy to use, and pretty much self-explanatory. You should also find that XSane and Peasyscan will now work!

Enjoy.

Hope this helps,

mmichael

#36 Post by mmichael »

Thank you Mike. I really appreciate the time put into your reply.

Unfortunately, I followed your procedures and had no luck. I converted and installed both gcc versions of both iscan files. The Epson scanner software didn't show up in the menu and neither Xsane nor Peasyscan detected the scanner.

(Possibly) notably, when I look at the installed iscan files/root/.packages/, each has a size of 0.

Thanks again.

rcrsn51

#37 Post by rcrsn51 »

@mmichael: To install an RPM package, you don't need to convert it to a PET. From the command line, run

Code: Select all

rpm -i xxx.rpm
Your Perfection 4180 definitely needs the extra plugin package, but it may also need the matching version of iscan. From the download site, get the "gcc 3.4 or later" versions. Run

rpm -i iscan-2.10.0-1.c2.i386.rpm
rpm -i iscan-plugin-gt-f600-1.0.0-1.c2.i386.rpm
The installer does not create a menu entry. From the command line, run:

iscan

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rcrsn51:-

Thanks for stepping in with this one, Bill. I think it's safe to say that you know a wee bit more about this stuff than I do!

As stated, I don't know which of the two gcc versions need to be employed. I do, however, know that once you get the scanner up & running with the 'Image Scan for Linux!' package, then Xsane and PeasyScanner will both find it after that.

With the older, standalone scanners, I don't mind admitting I'm a bit out of my depth; I know my usual procedure works, 9 times out of 10, with the 'all-in-one' units. I wasn't at all certain about the .rpm package; I know it would have installed in Slacko with no problems. I was even less certain about the plug-in package; I always understood those were for a network install....like PXE?

That's a couple of things I've learnt today!

Cheers.

mmichael

#39 Post by mmichael »

Thanks rcrsn51. I followed your instructions and seem to have installed the driver and iscan. When I turn the scanner on and run iscan from the command line, I get a window, with a red X and "iscan" in the header, stating:

Could not send command to scanner.
Check the scanner's status.

I waited a few minutes and tried again, but got the same window.

I'm pretty sure it's not the scanner by the way; it works in Windows.

rcrsn51

#40 Post by rcrsn51 »

Open the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and add "epkowa" on the end.

Open the file /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf and add "usb 0x04b8 0x0118" on the end.

Try again with iscan and xsane.

Run "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L"