Puppy-to-Puppy LAN with Samba

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sparky2

Puppy-to-Puppy LAN with Samba

#1 Post by Sparky2 »

Here is the scenario:

Two Windows 2000 machines running Puppy 1.09CE from CD. If I have either machine running Windows and the other one running Puppy, I can easily use LinNeighborhood from the Puppy machine to browse all my files on the Windows machine. That part is easy. Now I would like to find the easiest way to allow one machine running Puppy to browse the other machine running Puppy. I've done some poking around and there are posts about NFS, ssh, httpd, fuse, etc., etc. but it is all a bit confusing to me. One post (http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=) talks about setting up Samba for Puppy-to-Puppy sharing but it is not quite clear just exactly how to do this. I'm guessing that I will have to change my samba.conf on both computers but there is so much in there that it is a bit daunting.

The post I refer to above has this:

I've had Samba on my computer, with a harddrive2 installed on puppy 1.0.7, since the first of the year, all seams well. I have KDE 3.5 and tried smb4k, but i found that the standard LinNeighborhood worked great. After compiling samba 3.0.21a, just started smbd & nmbd with LinNeighborhood. Configured smb.config and all puppies see each other on the home net. Also linked smb.config to /etc/samba/smb.config from /usr/lib. Also compiled with --prefix=/usr. duke

How does one do this? How does one start smbd and nmbd with LinNeihbourhood? Is this done from the Programs tab of Preferences? How does one link smb.config to /etc/samba.config from /use/lib? What is it that needs to be compiled?

Is there an easier way? I guess ftp would work but then I would have to send the files from the machine where they reside instead of being able to browse them on the remote machine.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Sparky2; There's a Samba server DotPup package that MU has on his site, I tried to get the url but couldn't find it.

ADDENDUM: I found it! ... http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Network/

Sparky2

#3 Post by Sparky2 »

Good old MU to the rescue again, what a guy! As he would say, "Woof, woof!" :D

I'll try it a little later and post back here about how it worked. I'm guessing I'll still have to do some fiddling in the samba.conf file but we'll tackle that when I get there.

Thanks, sunburnt.

Sparky2

#4 Post by Sparky2 »

Well, I downloaded MU's Samba Server dotpup and installed it. I think I installed it anyway, I doubled clicked on the .pup file, unzipped it and ran the installer. What do I do now? I suspect that I have to do the samba.conf thing now. I would guess that I have to start by creating a group for my Puppy machines. How do I do this? I have changed the hostnames (machines) but I think maybe I need a workgroup (like in Windows) so that LinNeighborhood will successfully query the host. Please be patient with me - I don't really know what I'm doing.......

I did google for samba server setup but I suspect the info is either disto-specific or meant for conventional Linux installations - Puppy isn't quite conventional, is it?

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

Sparky2 wrote:What do I do now?
file:///usr/share/samba/swat/help/welcome.html

#smbd --help

Sparky2

#6 Post by Sparky2 »

Yikes! There's no simple step-by-step there, is there? I guess I've got some reading and some homework to do, eh? No matter, I will get it, eventually .......

Grrrrrrrr!

Easy boy, easy!

Sparky2

#7 Post by Sparky2 »

swat sounds pretty cool (Samba Web Administration Tool) - is it available in Puppy or is there a dotpup? I've tried it from the console but it doesn't seem to work (in 1.09CE) - not even in a browser from http://localhost:901
if not, too bad, so sad, maybe I will have to figure out how to configure samba server manualy.

John Doe

#8 Post by John Doe »

Poke around in that directory where the help file is. There are a couple big html help files. They don't link off the main one I posted.

Sparky2

#9 Post by Sparky2 »

You are cruel, John Doe, very cruel. You have sentenced me to another lost evening poking the Puppy !

John Doe

#10 Post by John Doe »

Blame Mark, he put the package together :lol:

duke93535

#11 Post by duke93535 »

Sparky2
You can read how to config samba, you might want to download samba 3.0.22. IF you have any Questions you can ask. There is a minor problem with mu 's dotput , you might want to save your rc.samba file so you can put it back.:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6118
duke

Sparky2

#12 Post by Sparky2 »

Thanks, duke, and thanks, sunburnt. I have given up for tonight but I will try your solutions tomorrow, they look promising .......

Thanks for responding.

sunburnt

#13 Post by sunburnt »

Actually it was jmarsden that made the Samba server dotpup package, MU was nice enough to host it.

duke93535 is correct about the rc.samba file, I replaced it with the std. one, ask & I'll post it for download.

Sparky2; Just look at the /etc/samba/smb.conf file & at the bottom you'll see the share definitions.

[pub]
path = /home/public
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

Just change it to what you want, also you must decide on using passwords or not, I don't... not secure.
There's only a few things in smb.conf to change, servername, domain name, share access, hostsallow, etc.
Reading on the key words like those above is a good idea & not hard (easier than most stuff).
It's a good idea to learn to edit smb.conf as Swat is weard, tricky to setup, & wipes smb.conf.
Just ask if your having trouble & someone or myself can write a simple smb.conf file for you.

raffy

Ask

#14 Post by raffy »

Gee, thanks - now I ask :D

A ready config (that includes those "private" sections that it creates at startup if not found) will be very useful, especially with comments about how to get things working.

In two occasions, I tried to use it, but it always asks for a password (I was accessing it from Windows machines). I could not disable that password requirement.

The manual is ready and long, but I guess I did not find (or had no time to find) the solution to that problem. :oops:

Kal

#15 Post by Kal »

Here is my smb.conf from testparm, just copy and paste into text editor. Save as text and name it "smb.conf". In /etc/samba/ save your old smb.conf in a hold folder or rename.
Drop the new one in place. Make a folder in /root call it "Downloads" and it should work after a reboot. Just tried going to Puppy with XP, no problem. I am sure there is much better, but this is a starting point.

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = Samba Server %v
security = SHARE
log file = /var/log.%m
max log size = 50
server signing = auto
paranoid server security = No
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
preferred master = No
domain master = No
dns proxy = No
ldap ssl = no
message command = /usr/local/bin/LinPopUp "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s
read only = No
case sensitive = No
msdfs proxy = no

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /usr/spool/samba/
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[Home]
path = /root/Downloads
#you need a /root/Downloads folder for this to work exactly
guest ok = Yes

Sparky2

#16 Post by Sparky2 »

I am experiencing the same problem as raffy. I feel that I am sooooo close but, as yet, no cigar.

I have installed Samba Server on both machines, changed the workgroup at the top of smb.conf and modified [homes] near the bottom of smb.conf to the following:

[Home]
comment = Home on ibm
path = /root/
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
writable = yes
valid users = %S

I also tried modifying [public] to following:

#[public]
# path = /root/
# public = yes
# guest ok = yes
# only guest = yes
# writable = yes
# printable = yes

but it didn't seem to make any difference so I commented it out again.

I can successfully query the host in both directions and I seem to be making a connection in both directions but when I try to mount the share I get the "badpw" (bad password) error message. To my knowledge I don't even have a password.

NEWS FLASH: I commented out the "valid users = %S" line and everything works wonderfully. Instead of editing the [homes] section, I should have just followed the instructions on topic 6118 (link provided by duke below).

This is great! The forum community comes through again! I did some of the reading suggested by John Doe and the more I read, the more scared I got. It was looking like something I'd have to spend a lot of time on but in fact it all turned out to be amazingly simple and it works like a dream.

I now can share my Windows files with Puppy and my Puppy files with Puppy. Next up is sharing my Puppy files with Windows (not sure why I'd want to do that since I'll probably be using Windows less and less from now on) but I suspect that will be a piece of cake now that I have Samba Server running on my Puppies.

Thanks again everyone.

Kal

#17 Post by Kal »

Your welcome, Duke"s dad.
Good Luck, Kal

Sparky2

#18 Post by Sparky2 »

Hi Kal,

Your smb.conf file looks really good to me. I haven't specified everything you have so I guess I'm letting Samba use its defaults in a few areas but that's OK because it works.

You have the line:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

I have a vague idea that this might speed sending and receiving by increasing buffer sizes but where do you pull the numbers from? Would they change from system to system or NIC to NIC?

Sparky2

#19 Post by Sparky2 »

Kal,

"Duke's Dad"? Is that an inside joke that I'm missing or something?

Kal

#20 Post by Kal »

No Joke!
I understand from an expert on this forum, that it is not needed any more. He also said it wouldn't hurt anything. We tested both ways and decided to include it. The other distros, we checked have it in. Sometimes they cut the buffer in half, as in Mepis.
Good Luck, Kal
PS: You might mark this solved.