pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#361 Post by goingnuts »

I have been working on easy kernel change in pupngo with one of the targets being the use of older kernels. Until now I have the newer kernels from P431 and Lupo525 working using the same main sfs-file but the jump to kernel from P108 seems more complicated...

I have xwoaf running on top of a pupngo with kernel 2.6.33.2.. :)

The USB hotplug I haven't tested - will do so. My USB wifi is recognized and firmware now automatic installed but that is not working in the released pupngo´s.
Update 290411: Test in pUPnGO_V412_060211 - USB drive is autodetected but desktop drive-icons will not reflect this as it requires a restart of jwm (and automount enabled)
fdisk -l shows the plugged in USB drives on my hardware...

goingnuts

revised otf_fsf_loader

#362 Post by goingnuts »

During my experiments with easy kernel change in pUPnGO a revision of otf_sfs_loader.sh was needed as it only worked with aufs1. So I have revised the script to handle aufs1 & 2, mount point now in /mnt/sfs, automatic (and silent) conversion between squashfs3 & 4 when needed and now keeping its own record of loaded files in /etc/otfsfs without interference with Puppys normal sfs-boot-loading stuff.
Still consider the script as a draft - not much advanced error checking code implemented. Tested in P412, P431 and (not very intensive) Lupo525.

I know others have made much more advanced scripts (ex. shinobars sfs_load on-the-fly) but as far as I know they do not work in CLI witch is needed for pUPnGO.

Static builds of mksquashfs3 & 4 and unsquashfs3 & 4 included in attached archive. Note: patched to only use one processor in order to build the static bins.

goingnuts

#363 Post by goingnuts »

More "issues" with lupo525 kernel 2.6.33.2: pmmon5.sh wont run...
Turns out that it refuse to run code like:

Code: Select all

TMPFL=/tmp/new.xpm
Z1 () { sed 's/Z1/s /g'; }
Z2 () { sed 's/Z2/s /g'; }
Z3 () { sed 's/Z3/s /g'; }
{ cat $TMPFL|Z1|Z2|Z3 > $TMPFL;}
This code runs without problems in P412/P431 - but with Lupo525 kernel $TMPFL is empty.
The code that will run with kernel 2.6.33.2 is:

{ cat $TMPFL|Z1|Z2|Z3 > $TMPFL.tmp; mv $TMPFL.tmp $TMPFL;}
How can this script execution be depending on the kernel :?:
Attached a modified version of pmmon5.sh
Attachments
pmmon5.sh_020511rev.tar.gz
revised script for pmmon5.sh
(4.98 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

sc0ttman

#364 Post by sc0ttman »

goingnuts wrote:More "issues" with lupo525 kernel 2.6.33.2: pmmon5.sh wont run...
Turns out that it refuse to run code like:

TMPFL=/tmp/new.xpm
Z1 () { sed 's/Z1/s /g'; }
Z2 () { sed 's/Z2/s /g'; }
Z3 () { sed 's/Z3/s /g'; }
{ cat $TMPFL|Z1|Z2|Z3 > $TMPFL;}
This code runs without problems in P412/P431 - but with Lupo525 kernel $TMPFL is empty.
The code that will run with kernel 2.6.33.2 is:

{ cat $TMPFL|Z1|Z2|Z3 > $TMPFL.tmp; mv $TMPFL.tmp $TMPFL;}
How can this script execution be depending on the kernel :?:
Attached a modified version of pmmon5.sh
Not entirely sure its related, but I remember that when I made the advert blocker thing, that piping something ($TMPFL) to itself causes problems ... It did not for me, all worked fine, but I was using pup4... But others said my code didnt work, that seemed to fix it.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

goingnuts

#365 Post by goingnuts »

sc0ttman: Thanks - just did not know that it could be kernel dependent...Annoying in this case as the number of file read/write increases a lot...

nooby

#366 Post by nooby »

Goingnuts, as you know I know almost nothing but maybe the following still can be of help?

Member Seaside has made a super simple SFS-Exec that does very little failchecking. one can load many programs again and again and run out of memory or have three FF loaded. So it is up to the user to keep track of what have been loaded already. Which is supereasy even I learned it in seconds. And the SFS-Exec is very fast and easy to use.

Sure it is a GUI now but why would it not be able to do the same using the CLI it has to be cli deep down so one only need to keep that basic structure and skip the GUI part I hope.

link to the thread. dl the pet and look inside it and you see how he does it. Super simple as I get it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64587
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

technosaurus

#367 Post by technosaurus »

I previously posted an xcb based window manager called mcwm that used only 200kb of ram, but lacked a lot of the functionality of jwm, fvwm etc...

while googling for ... include xcb/xcb.h ... to find some minimal imaging examples I found uwm.
uwm is a rewrite of jwm using xcb

uwm.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=uwm/uwm;a=blob;f=README.txt

I also found this little dock app template
darkshed.net/files/c_cpp/bits/space_dapp_xcb.c

Unfortunately the basic imaging examples were broken with recent versions of xcb{-utils}
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#368 Post by goingnuts »

For what ever reason (!) I have made a static build of iptables1.4.0 as a single multicall-binary for pUPnGO (works in org. P412 as well/seems to work in P431 and 525 also...).
Compiled with:
make NO_SHARED_LIBS=1 DO_MULTI=1 LDFLAGS="-static" CC="gcc -Wl,-Os -mtune=i386"
Size: 240K (upx-ed).

Also made a simple firewall-script to install/uninstall, start/stop, panic-function and view status. Runs in CLI/dialog/Xdialog. Please assume that I have no knowledge about setting firewall rules and inspect the rules in the script/modify for you own needs. Rules are taken from here and here. Main intention is to provide the static binary of iptables and a firewall script running in CLI/dialog/Xdialog.
Attachments
simplefirewall.png
(13.76 KiB) Downloaded 1119 times

nooby

#369 Post by nooby »

oops seems micromuppy is based on picopuppy 1.08 something. Not comparable to pupngo at all.

Now that we have woof would it still be difficult to make a pupngo based on 511?
Last edited by nooby on Sun 08 May 2011, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

goingnuts

#370 Post by goingnuts »

nooby: Your hint about Seaside´s SFS-Exec was good - thanks - that is really a compact aufs-loader!
Concerning micromuppy I have only worked slightly with it: Created a sfs-dress (8Mb) that runs on top of pUPnGO. micromuppy has a GUI filemanager (XFE) and Adie as text editor. You can make a screen shut but there are no image viewer (as far as I recall....). A very nice basic puppy that one could build on. It even has some cool effects like shadows and transparent windows. It does not have gtk-libs but uses the FOX-lib where you can find further GUI-add ons...
I do not think it holds a web browser...

technosaurus: I haven't had success with compiling uwm - any hints from you on how to do it?

nooby

#371 Post by nooby »

Oh but seaside does warn that it was not set up to do the needed check on that one don't load the same sfs again and again. And it is not so good using it together with a pupsavefile. it can set things wrong there eventually.

Sure one can use the sfs-exec-unloader to see what one currently has loaded and then unload duplicates easily.

But if you can help him put it such checks easily that would be a cool thing to make sfs-exec into the fastest sfs loader puppy have.

I am too impatient to use the sfs loaders we have now. Seasides was the one I liked best.

one thing is though that in wary 511 Barry using Seamonkey seems to make it impossible to load any Firefox browser even as sfs. Nothing happens. while Opera and Chromium just loads instantly.

Could it have to do with kernel conflict or whatever?

seaside

#372 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:
Sure one can use the sfs-exec-unloader to see what one currently has loaded and then unload duplicates easily.
Nooby,

Ok, here's a check to see if an SFS was loaded before.

[[ `losetup | grep $1` ]] &&  yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg orange -text "ATTENTION! $1 seems to be already mounted.
Perhaps you closed the program and want to restart it.
If the program is not in the menu list, in a terminal 
run 'fixmenus' and then restart the window manager." && exit
Place this in the file "/usr/bin/SFS-Exec" immediately following the first code line

[ $1 ] && ADDSFS=$1 || exit
Let me know of any problems in the "SFS-Exec" thread.

Goingnuts: Thanks for your code that was used in SFS-Exec

Cheers,
s

goingnuts

#373 Post by goingnuts »

seaside
Goingnuts: Thanks for your code that was used in SFS-Exec
You are very welcome - I intend to adapt some of you code as well :)
nooby:Editing your post/questions after one has answered makes the answer close to nonsense or at least out of any context...
A pUPnGO with kernel from Lupo525 is very, very similar to the present pUPnGO as essentially only kernel and modules will differ - do you see any point in doing that?

nooby

#374 Post by nooby »

Ooops, thanks much appreciated. I did do it now but but will test it later tomorrow most likely.

just now I am totally absorbed in why I failed to edit the menu.lst on AntiX and archiso in frugal install sespite me following their instructions to be root and it told me I was root too.
root@antiX11 #

Rcrsn51 says it most likely can not be done and Bernie by the sea says sure it can be done if one are real root and not a pretend root that some OS give the user.

Edit oops again.

nooby:Editing your post/questions after one has answered makes the answer close to nonsense or at least out of any context...

Yes you are right but I did edit it out not knowing you where to answer it I tried to do it as fast as possible to none would ahve known about the txt.

I know too little to answer your next q

technosaurus

#375 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:technosaurus: I haven't had success with compiling uwm - any hints from you on how to do it?
v.25 needs xcb-1.6 and xcbutils-.37 ... git needs xcb-1.7 and xcbutils-0.38 I am in contact the developer, so let me know if you find anything to report. Johns (the uwm dev) also has some good tray app examples.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

static build of dialog and other ncurses based progs

#376 Post by goingnuts »

Finally got through compiling a static version of dialog, now small enough to be included as default...
Configured with:

./configure --disable-included-msgs --with-ncurses --disable-nls --disable-Xdialog --disable-extras --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --infodir=/usr/local/info --mandir=/usr/local/man
93K upxed - and 190K installed. source here

Also a static build of MP (ncurses-based text-editor attached. 225K installed/100K upxed. Version is the old mp-3.2.13 but works ok. Updated 130511 so attachment contains man etc.
Update 160511: Changed version to mp-3.3.13 (same version as in P412) after finding the source. Slightly smaller (215K).

Added 130511: htop static build, source here

Added 160511: retawq-0.2.6c. A very small text-web browser 268K static build.
Attachments
retawq-0.2.6c.tar.bz2
retawq-0.2.6c static build
(194.42 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
mp-3.3.13.tar.bz2
mp-3.3.13 static build
(136.78 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
htop-0.6.4.tar.bz2
htop-0.6.4 static build
(98.19 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
dialog.tar.bz2
dialog-1.1-20071028 static build
(110.31 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Last edited by goingnuts on Mon 16 May 2011, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

goingnuts

Static build of BASH

#377 Post by goingnuts »

Sometime CLI scripts are very "bashish" and the time or work to make them ash-compatible seems just too long and hard...
The alsaconf and especially firewall_install.sh could be examples. Then a static build of bash comes handy. Attached an older version bash-2.05b (source) - patched with all the official patches. Its 500K - same size as org. P412 bash 3.00.16 using shared libs...
Once - not so many years ago - this version was the latest and newest bash around...

emil

#378 Post by emil »

I want to use pupngo to build an embedded system of a "sage" server.
If I want to compile sage from source, do I need the original devx_412.sfs? Is the original puppy_412.iso still available somewhere?

goingnuts

#379 Post by goingnuts »

emil: yes - use the original devx_412.sfs.
Org. ISO here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/

seaside

#380 Post by seaside »

emil wrote:I want to use pupngo to build an embedded system of a "sage" server.
If I want to compile sage from source, do I need the original devx_412.sfs? Is the original puppy_412.iso still available somewhere?
emil,

You can get the devx_412.sfs Here

Cheers,
s