wubi for puppy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
reasonit

wubi for puppy

#1 Post by reasonit »

I really like wubi because how much safe it makes installing linux. would love to have a simple wubi like tool for puppy linux.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

The two most known Devs dealing with Wubi for Ubuntu is "ago" and "tuxcantfly" who later conventrated on Unetbootin instead of wubi.

I wrote to "ago" on Ubuntu Forum to hear his views on Frugal install related to how Wubi works and as expected he likes wubi better.

Here is the link.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=4

He says:

Re: WUBI vs Frugal install? Differences etc?
A loopinstallation is like a frugal installation but customized for your hardware as opposed to be a "generic" install (which is optimized for "portability"). In fact a loopinstallation is exactly like a real installation. That of course also means that a loop installation is far faster than a frugal installation.

So the frugal installation has little advantages over a loop installation other than the fact that the installation itself is quicker
(since there is no linux side installation) and it takes less space (the squashfs is compressed).

By the way, wubi already supports frugal installation (not r/w although it can be changed by adding a persistent file)... Run wubi.exe from windows, then when you reboot press ESC and choose the last option... That is a frugal installation... If you want it permanent simply make it the default boot option in ubuntu\install\boot\grub\menu.lst. Note the demo mode option is deleted after a linux side loop installation.
Last edited by ago; August 21st, 2008 at 04:08 PM..
I had no dual boot on my Acer Netbook and to get it to have dual boot with Puppy in frugal install easily I used JoliOS to use their safe wubi install from within Win7 and then it was easy to add puppy in frugal to that boot code menu.lst

So I do get why you like wubi. To Ms Windows user that don't want to mess with their computer too much to install linux using wubi works great.

But due to the recent Grub2 that takes over I guess one need to read through the descriptions so one don't get in trouble. But way back in 2008 it was super easy.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

reasonit

#3 Post by reasonit »

thanks for replying, but it all went over my head :oops:

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks, Yes I am a bit confused. O might confusing even.

Will be interesting if anybody else can explain it to you. In case it got lost in translation I was supportive and agreed with you.
So I hope others will jump in and explain things. Did you read ago? He dscribe it better than me. He is the Chief Dev of Wubi still IIRC.

So read about wubi on ubuntuforum and his posts and you get it.

big warm friendly smile :)

reasonit

#5 Post by reasonit »

doesn't matter . As it turns out , there already exists wubi for puppy. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=518393 .

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

But what you link to is Lin N Win which is on ICPUG site and I love that method too but it works for winXP and not Vista or Win7 AFAIK.
And it is not wubi at all. Wubi is something else. They create a big loop mounted file that is linux formatted inside and then they boot Ubuntu inside that exe file on Windows.

using Lin N Win you make a frugal install and not a loop mounted file.
or do you refer to the first entry in that thread maybe
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404

They would have referred to wubi if it was wubi. I guess you use the term in a metaphoric way.

reasonit

#7 Post by reasonit »

they have added vista/7 support in the latest version.
well I have no idea about the technicalities , loop mounted , frugal etc. but the end result is the same. A clean linux dualboot without touching my fragile mbr. :)

noryb009

#8 Post by noryb009 »

The automatic installer is working on vista/7

While it is not a loopback file (or whatever wubi does), it does a frugal install, which isn't too different.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

noryb009 wrote:The automatic installer is working on vista/7

While it is not a loopback file (or whatever wubi does), it does a frugal install, which isn't too different.
Yes I 've told a lady in Georgia that complained about how slow her WinXP is at the moment to try out Puppy linux but these tought Southern Bells can be very reluctant to try out novel things. Windows are Gates so why trust a Puppy.

I mean why should she trust that it does not trash her set up? :)
It is a huge responsibility to mock around in others set ups?

jonyo

#10 Post by jonyo »

nooby wrote:But what you link to is Lin N Win which is on ICPUG site and I love that method too but it works for winXP and not Vista or Win7 AFAIK.
barely looked at 7 and it's been awhile.. but pretty sure Lin N Win worked with vista
you can also add xp to vista or seven to use Lin N Win

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

jonyo wrote:but pretty sure Lin N Win worked with vista
No.

jonyo

#12 Post by jonyo »

any links? or further info?

here's where i was at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 724#186876

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

jonyo in the link you give us above you do explain that you use EasyBCD and NeoGrub and that was how I got Puppy going too using Neogrub.

Most likely one can still find my posts on their forum under some user name like newbody or similar name. Them not happy with me wanting to do frugal install, them preferring full installs.

So rcrsn51 here above is right about LinNWin that it does not do Vista or Win7 and you and I are right that if one use Neogrub then that one can help to install linux.

So LinNWin is not Neogrub.

jonyo

#14 Post by jonyo »

i used neogrub with the linNwin setup

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

I go to this page
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/contents.htm

I look at most of these pages and as far as I know ICPUG does not describe how to use Neogrub or EasyBCD on it.

I put neogrub ICPUG EasyBCD in google search and don't find clear confirmation that he has recommended NeoGrub for use with LinNWin.

He does comment in this thread though.

But a newbie would not know about that without knowing what to put in search in google to find this thread.

So great the you and I did find a solution to how to dual booting but LinN Win is what ICPUG describe on his site and Neogrub is what they describe on their site.

You where able to combine them but none of these two recommend the other just now. They maybe will in future due to your encouragement.

I fail to get what you try to say.

And I still insist that wubi is something else. Sure one can see it as a frugal install but it is not a standard frugal install. It is a loopmounted exe file that is formatted for Ubuntu or Mint inside and not so easy to use for Puppy as I get it.

Ago at Ubuntuforums is the Developer of Wubi and I don't think he has done a wubi install of puppy. So the title of this thread is very misleading.

Yeah the word "like" makes it less confusing but that is if one read that text. A google search would still be misleading seeing wubi and puppy together in the title like that. It will make people disappointed that it is not what the text says.

Here is a one and a half year old post I did on Neogrub and booting Linux Mint in frugal install on NTFS on Vista/Win7 but I failed to solve the saving of changes thing.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 727#386727

Here is a typical childish confused post by me on Neosmart one year ago.

http://neosmart.net/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=3

jonyo

#16 Post by jonyo »

nooby wrote:I look at most of these pages and as far as I know ICPUG does not describe how to use Neogrub or EasyBCD on it.

I put neogrub ICPUG EasyBCD in google search and don't find clear confirmation that he has recommended NeoGrub for use with LinNWin.

He does comment in this thread though.
yea looks like a one shot deal that i don't remember much about at this point

ICPUG

#17 Post by ICPUG »

One day I will add Windows 7 to Lin'N'Win!

I keep promising but I never do.

Why?

I turn on my Windows 98 PC, Windows XP laptop, (and Asus EEE 701) more than I do my Windows 7 machine! I still haven't put Puppy on it.

I used to suggest people use EasyBCD with neogrub for Vista/Windows 7 while they waited for my instructions.

I now suggest doing what noryb0009 suggested in his thread. I asked for details about how grldr was made to interact with the Windows 7 boot process in his thread. He replied and this is basically what Lin'N'Win has to change for Windows 7.

The observant will notice I don't include Puppy 5.2.5 in Lin'N'Win either. I used to use the excuse that I was waiting for Puppy 5 to stabilise. That's no excuse any more!

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

I guess you talk about this thread?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404

He describe a bit what it does here.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 541#463541

ICPUG

#19 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks Nooby for searching out the links.

Yes, this was what I was talking about but I did not have enough time yesterday to find them for myself.