Suggestions from OLPC

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
raffy

Suggestions from OLPC

#1 Post by raffy »

Suggestions about localization for Puppy are currently being made in the OLPC wiki.

This thread will tell of the recent developments about Puppy and OLPC.

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

Well, a lot of what is mentioned there is not that far off, we just need to do some grunt work on it. The xdg menus from 109 make localisation of the WM's pretty easy, just localize the .desktop files and all WM's get updated automatically. I really hope Barry might consider this for Puppy2.

Some of the other areas are already taken care of by GTK2 apps, as mentioned on the page.

A unicode font would definately be a plus, and they are right to push for it.

The only issue I see is the last requirement mentioned, that of being able to switch resolutions on the fly, or go from color to greyscale as well. While I'm sure this isn't insurmountable, it would probably require some programming on our part.

I think we can learn a good deal from this. First off, a lot of people have been taking the stance that OLPC is going with Fedora/RedHat because they have the money, ignoring the poor helpless Puppy which is much better suited to the task. This is probably not very true at all. The fact is, reading what was posted, Puppy doesn't meet the projects needs completely (yet!). We should take what we can from the discussion and try to improve Puppy to the point where it is just what they need if we expect to see OLPC using it. Most of what they would like to see in Puppy would be good for the distro anyway.

We should try to continue building bridges here. I still think Puppy is the best suited distro to the task, but not unless we're willing to put in the effort to fix some issues.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...