Cloud Puppy - 1.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l2ulinux

Cloud Puppy - 1.0

#21 Post by l2ulinux »

I had the same problem with releases make from Browserlinux with frugal installs. I found when you boot-up with a remake of Browserlinux you have to hit the F2-Key and then type puppy pfix=ram to save my frugal installs.

lmart

#22 Post by lmart »

My experience with Browserlinux differs markedly. It presents a menu to select different save files. It is elegant in it's simplicity. It would be nice, if on exit, all pups allowed a Save/NoSave option to avoid similar experiences. It took me several hours to re-build everything.

sszindian

Cloud Apps

#23 Post by sszindian »

Here are some more nice places for Cloud Apps you just gotta' check out!
--------------------------------------------------
http://cchiarelli.weebly.com/ = shows lots of Cloud applications FREE to use, just check the listings in their headers (top of page)
And For Your Office: This is just unbelieveable!! and yes... it's FREE for you as a Cloud user.

(1)Easy Online Word Processor - Create • Connect • Collaborate.
(2)Create, Edit and Share Your Presentations Online.
(3)Online Meetings - Remote Support - Web Conferencing.
(4)Loads of other features & apps.

More Than 4 Million Users Work Online With Zoho!

https://www.zoho.com/

>>>---Indian------>
Last edited by sszindian on Wed 11 May 2011, 00:47, edited 2 times in total.

sszindian

Eating Previous Pupsave Files

#24 Post by sszindian »

lmart :

Gosh... sorry to hear that but I believe I made it very clear in my FIRST post that.... I am Not A Programmer... just trying to fill a need for this type of Puppy that no one else was interested in doing or helping me with! I did the best I could, and second, I made it quiet clear to 'Be Careful' and maybe first try things with CD/DVD only!

Always make a first run on a new Puppy (no matter who's) by selecting the 'F2 Key' and type puppy pfix=ram.

>>>---Indian------>

lmart

#25 Post by lmart »

>>>---Indian------>
I did try it with a CD, so I wouldn't screw up my system.
The F2 key thing is new to me.

bones01

Re: save file ... oops

#26 Post by bones01 »

lmart wrote:Not to rain on your parade ...

FYI, downloaded Cloud Puppy -1.0 to cd, booted to cd so there would be no change to my hdd system (puppy 5.2.5). Cloud Puppy read my puppy 5.2.5 savefile and, upon rebooting to puppy, learned that it corrupted it.
lmart, use puppy pfix=ram with the liveCD and you shouldn't have this problem. When the CD is used, you see a boot screen and have a few seconds to start typing. So type "puppy pfix=ram" (no quotes) and it will all load in RAM without looking for the savefiles.

Hope that helps.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

sszindian

Savefile Problem

#27 Post by sszindian »

lmart:

Idid a little research in the forum on savefile... here is something that may (or may not) be useful:

jemimah said in:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 79&t=64343

Various boot codes might help you.

If you actually wanted to use the save file and delete files from the distro out of it:
pfix=clean (same as "version upgrade")
pfix=purge (more drastic - not sure exactly what this does).

Prevent Puppy from loading a save file:
pfix=ram

Only load save files from a certain partition:
pdev1=/dev/sda2

Only load save files from a certain subdirectory:
psubdir=foo

Only load save files on usb drives
pmedia=usbflash

If Puppy finds more than 1 save file, it's supposed to ask which to use.

And I'll add here...
If it finds ONLY ONE previous savefile from another version... I can't say nor find the answer? But... possibly the pfx=clean mentioned may help?

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

One Click To Your Favorite Cloud URL

#28 Post by sszindian »

Want to store that favorite 'Cloud URL' on the AppStarter Box so all you have to do is click on the Icon Zippo... you're right at the site?

Here's how to do it:

Click on the 'Change Starters' at the bottom of the AppStarter Box.

(first) - we'll use the below example I have setup in mine - There 20 available Icon Boxes (you can use 19)in the AppStarter, choose one of those 19 you don't really need and use the example guideline below- When you replace one of the 19, don't worry, they are always in the 'More Apps' section as a regular file to use, just remember DON'T EVER DELETE OR CHANGE '20' THE 'More Apps' ICON!!! use any of the remaining 19 to make your change.

(second) - Get yourself the icon (or make one using Pixlr-Paint) that you want to use... the size should be around 64x64 (that size fits nice in the small boxes). Put the icon in to folder that is shown below in the ICON Line the example... That part's done!

(third) - Type in the EXEC Line the code of the URL for (example below: http://www.pixlr.com/).

(forth) - Type in the LABEL Line name (example below: Pixlr-Paint.

LABEL=(whatever box# used)="(a start quote) Name "(an end quote)
Do the same for the ICON= line and the EXEC= line, and your done!

Double Check your work... Do I have the Quotes right?
Do I have the number the same in all 3-lines?
Do I have the Icon in the right file folder and is the path to it correct?
Did I miss any 'spaces' that should have been put in?

-------------------------------(EXAMPLE)------------------------------

LABEL19="Pixlr-Paint"
ICON19="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/paint-icon-2.png"
EXEC19="defaultbrowser http://www.pixlr.com/"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go To The Top Of The AppStarter.conf file (thats what your working in) and click on 'SAVE'.

Your NEW URL is now only ONE Click Away!

'Have Fun'

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Pwidgets

#29 Post by sszindian »

There are some .pet programs that work in Cloud Puppy however, I haven't really tried a lot of them and don't intend to, Cloud Puppy was NOT meant to have the standard applications that other Puppy programs do! Cloud Puppy was designed to 'WORK IN THE CLOUD' using Cloud Based applications that are provided there... and I might add, they are really nice compared to most of the standard Puppy applications that have been around since Puppy was first invented. The newer innovations for programs on the Cloud are just fantastic, and most work just a well on older computers as they do on the 'Lastest, Greatest.'! Now... I'm not saying you're going to get 100% satisfaction with everything you try, but that's the nice part, you go try something else... or something else or something else... get the point?

Another thing you'll notice is you won't constantly be increasing your personal savefile because really, you won't need to be adding to your HHD all that much. and, that's nice! Fact is, after you get used to Cloud Computing... it appears to me a CD/DVD would be more than one would ever require! Hmmm... that's nice too!

One still very nice standard Puppy application is the Desktop Pwidgets... yes, they also work on Cloud Puppy except for one item that I'm aware of, that's the 'analog clock' it just doesn't show up. it creates the space for itself but just a 'no show.' However, the digital clock works just fine so that's what I use. Everything else appears to function normal. Pwidgets really look nice on the Cloud Puppy desktop, especially the theme Stardust Blue!

>>>---Indian------>

lmart

#30 Post by lmart »

>>>---Indian------>

thanks
like your concept for Cloud Puppy and, the use of iron
unaware of ixquick, trying it now
in my use, there are typically 2 states (potentially savefiles), (1) when have access to the cloud and, (2) no access. In either case, a fast booting, slim linux is preferred; my thoughts are a core system with key functionality to get you to the Cloud, then a few minimalists apps for the times when no access to the Cloud
good luck with your work on Cloud Puppy

sszindian

Audio Bible Cloud Site

#31 Post by sszindian »

Here is a very nice bible site I hope many will find useful! Sometimes it's just nice to sit back and have someone read the bible to you... That's exactly what this site does. Especially nice for the visually impaired. You can also select your favorite version of the bible!

http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/audio/

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Printing In The Cloud

#32 Post by sszindian »

Wow... just where is cloud headed with technology???

Yes, cloud is far from being perfect but... it's getting better and better every day!

One new area... Have you ever struggled to set up that printer in a Puppy, any Puppy? Sometimes it takes hours, days, even much, much longer and sometimes, you just can't get it configured no matter how hard you try.

The 'Cloud' is going to take care of that hastle for you, and I expect you will see the day not to far off when any and all your connected hardware won't have a need for any software, drivers or whatever installed in them.

Check this link out, it's just another step taken by the 'Cloud' that will blow your mind!

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/71721 ... 1305865308

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Cloud Solitaire

#33 Post by sszindian »

If you are a Solitaire player, and enjoy crystal clear graphics and speed... this is one of the best available for the Cloud Puppy. In fact, one of the best available in any computer environment! Totally FREE, no registration, just access, select one of the many, many solitaire versions and play.

http://worldofsolitaire.com/

>>>---Indian------>

keniv

#34 Post by keniv »

Hi sszindian
I have just installed Cloud Puppy 1.0 and signed up to http://www.cloudme.com/en as you recommended. When the "cloud me" site starts up I am immediately switched to a java site which invites me to install about 20MB of download. I do not want to do this. Is there a way to get to the "cloud me" desktop etc without this download? If not, is there a similar sight that does not require this type of download? I do not want to sign up to any other site only to find I have to download and install stuff I don't want.

Regards,

Ken.

sszindian

Cloud Desktops

#35 Post by sszindian »

Hi keniv!

My experience strictly... Over the years I have used many operating systems and many various programs and have always found that when I wanted a complete desktop I was at the mercy of someone who designed it thinking they knew what programs would be best for me... end result was I generally ended up using about 20% (many times less) of those so called perfect desktop programs. All the others just sit there looking pretty, taking up useless space.
With Cloud Puppy, it's much different, it comes with ONE installed program, 'A Browser.' This browser lets YOU find and create the exact type of Cloud environment you want on your system. I'll just give you one example...

'Business' To date, pretty much every other version of Puppy Linux really falls way, way short when it comes to running a small, medium or large business. With Cloud Puppy, you can turn this little bugger into a 'Full Blown Wiz Bang' business system using the Cloud Applications that are available.

So myself, I don't want a cloud desktop that someone else designed for my so-called best interest, 'I'd Rather Make My Own' to do what I want and need, finding ONE cloud program at a time.

Back on page ONE of this tread, you will find a post made by 'Lobster' In that post he has TWO URL's listed. If you click on the first one, you get a screen that looks like a regular standard Puppy desktop... If You CLICK on any of the icons on that puppy-desktop-look-alike graphic, you will be in for a surprise... Some of those icons will take you to OTHER Cloud applications (and some standard Puppy sites too) but go give it a try. One thing this shows you is that you can design Your Own Desktop (if that's what you like) and have it do whatever you want it to! His second link pretty much does the same thing only showing a browser... click on some of the browser icons and the programs listed within those icons. 'Surprise Surprise!'

Now to your question... NO, I don't know of any Cloud desktop (at least not yet) that lets you design it exactly the way you want, with the programs YOU want. But... why bother when you have the perfect little Cloud Puppy to 'Do It Your Own Way Already!'

Remember one thing keniv... All Cloud Stuff is very new and there aren't any so-called seasoned experts in this field yet. In the future, you will see many things happening, changing, invented re-invented and so forth, it sure is interesting to say the least and beats anything the computer industry has come up with to replace the 'Old Standard' computer stuff!

Hope this helps some and if anyone has any more on this subject, please jump in!

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Oh My... Tools Tools Tools

#36 Post by sszindian »

Hmmm... Want some handy 'TOOLS' for your Cloud Puppy? Check this site out, they have 66 pages of all kinds of cloud stuff you will find very interesting and lots of them are FREE! If you can't find anything useful here just throw the computer away (just kidding!) :lol:

http://www.usefultools.com/

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Games, Lots Of Em!

#37 Post by sszindian »

Your kids like games? Maybe even yourself?

Here is just one Cloud site with 250 of them to keep the whole family busy and, for some time I might add! Yep... you play them all online with Cloud Puppy.

http://www.friv.com/

>>>---Indian------>

ndujoe1

Cloudme and Java

#38 Post by ndujoe1 »

You didn't answer the other person's quesiton. How do you add java to the Iron browser as the Cloud-me site requires it.

Thanks.

sszindian

Adding JAVA

#39 Post by sszindian »

ndujoe1 Wrote:

You didn't answer the other person's quesiton. How do you add java to the Iron browser as the Cloud-me site requires it.

In the post by keniv, he didn't ask to install java, he said he did not want to if I read it correctly! I explained another option to him.

Now, you don't install java to the Iron Browser... java gets installed in Cloud Puppy. It is in the Puppy Package Manager under UTILITY. The name of the file is: jre-1.6.0.20 Java Runtime Envronment and it is a '36M' download and requires that you have 150M free personal savefile space to download and install it... yep, it's a big one.

To get to it...

1: Select Cloud Puppy Menu
2: Select More Apps.
3: Then In the Icon-Box select More Apps Icon.

(This shows you all the other available applications available in Cloud Puppy.)

From the list select Puppy Package Manager.

You may have to update the package manager so select 'Configure Package Manaqer' and take all the updates or at least the Puppy-Lucid update as that is where the java file you need is.

jre-1.6.0.20 installs very well in Cloud Puppy. (I use it myself).

And that's how you do it! However, you may want to build your own 'Desktop' as explained in previous posts here instead of being 'tied' to what someone else thinks you should have... That is up to you!

>>>---Indian------>

ndujoe1

java

#40 Post by ndujoe1 »

Thanks for the explanation and direction and correction of my post. Will follow your steps.