SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

#1 Post by Tman »

*** Downloads Section

Click here to download Solidpup.
Lite version and OBXF version are available.

OBXF just stands for "Openbox-xfce4panel"

List of Changes

Wary5.1.1 devx for Solidpup 5.1.1
Kernel sources for Solidpup 5.1.1

* Wine 1.3.22 SFS

** search smokey01.com/Tman repository
** search for pets in the ibiblio repositories

Note: Solidpup is compatable with virtually all Wary pets, and most of the Quirky pets.
This excludes drivers built for other kernel versions.

If you are running from a live-cd, and have other versions of Wary installed on your hard-drive, please use the 2nd boot option (pfix=ram), so that it does not load and overwrite your warysave files.
Last edited by Tman on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 18:46, edited 75 times in total.

Tman

SolidPup Info

#2 Post by Tman »

** SolidPup Info **

The thread discussion for SolidPup 5.1.1-Final starts -> here
Sorry in advance; this thread is getting old and some of the links may no longer work, due to me changing folder names, as well as getting rid of files to reduce space on Smokey's server.

These versions of SolidPup are based on Wary 5.1.1-small and were designed to be user-friendly, while still trying to keep the size small.
SolidPup will run on newer computers, but it was designed for older ones, thus it uses an older kernel version: 2.6.32.28-2

Some of you might be wondering, how old a computer can it be run on?
Well I cannot give an answer for the absolute lowest specs, but forum member, Ray MK has reported it to be running nicely on his Acer TravelMate 243LC laptop with 256mb ram and a 2.5Ghz celeron processor. A link to his post is -> here

If your computer has 256MB of RAM or less, it is recommended that you create a linux swap file using the included Gparted utility, located in the System menu.
A 512MB swap file should suffice, and 1024MB is probably overkill.

Sneekylinux has made a youtube review of this beta version. My thanks goes out to him for taking the time and energy to do so.

VLC Media Player, Gimp, and Deadbeef, along with many other apps are pre-installed. Icewm is the default window manager (some custom themes by me), and openbox is the alternate window manager. Old, inferior versions of SolidPup have been removed.

I would like to thank Smokey01 for providing me with webspace to place my work.

Both prior to and during the making of SolidPup, I have tried Lucid Puppy, Quirky NOP, Puplite , Snowpuppy, Lighthouse Pup, spup, 2.14X, Macpup, Fluppy, TXZ Pup, and of course Wary. I would like to thank the creators of the above Puplets for sharing your work; using those puplets gave me inspiration and ideas for SolidPup. Thanks also to all of the talented folks who have compiled the software which I have used in my new puplet.

Special thanks to Barry Kauler for Wary 5.1.1 and for starting Puppy Linux, to which I am quite addicted.
Any feedback (good or bad) is appreciated. I have included some pics below. Enjoy! ':)'

Attachments
SP-pic03.jpg
old pic
(77.86 KiB) Downloaded 2294 times
Last edited by Tman on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 15:28, edited 37 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

:D

tee hee
very fast boot - did you remove the 5 second wait?

Well I went straight to an Ethernet connected desktop - no questions asked
That is simple but it may have picked up my previous wary settings
and I did not get a chance to 'puppy pfix=ram' - that may be my mistake? Nope did a reboot - straight in . . .

The background had to be set
Conky obscures the icons on the right (conky can be made transparent)
- I would have turned it off . . . maybe later

Took me a while to realise
desktop icons needed double clicking . . .
Why? (OK I think I know why)

Is a periodic table really a requirement of simplicity?
xchat is not set up to go straight to the linux forum?

OK just to say it is good
You seem to have taken something from a variety of Pups - as you mention - for example control panel
:)

Be interested how others get on
and how it works out day to day

You seem to be supporting it with great packages already (eg Chromium)

Will you be upgrading to Barrys latest Wary?
Will Quickpet be available?

Good luck 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Tman

#4 Post by Tman »

Lobster:

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't do any thing fancy to the system files..just added a lot of apps and made customisations to the esthetics.
I am not sure why it doesn't give the option for pfix=ram at startup; if the problem isn't inherent with Wary (I have to check later) then I assume that it is a side effect of some app which I have installed.

Double-clicking for desktop items is my own preference. In single-click mode, there have been several occasions when I have right-clicked on a drive icon to unmount it, and the icon got removed from the desktop. :?
EDIT: Oops. I realize now that single-click mode wasn't the problem.':oops:'

But double-clicking is also more familiar for newbies who have transitioned from Windows (like myself). That is why I set Thunar to be double-clicked.

GPeriodic is a tiny, but informative app which I found in Puplite. I thought I'd throw it in there. Pre-installled apps can be easily removed if you go to the Setup menu and click on "Remove Built-in Packages".

I will give Wary 5.1.2 a go when it comes out, but I will probably hold off on making a new puplet as I want to enjoy the one I just made.
Making a puplet is quite time consuming and the problem is that new releases come out so fast. I am thinking that a better route for me might be just to concentrate on making add-on packs where I can add all the bling of SolidPup to any new puplet that comes out. Preferred apps can be added by the end-user.

As for quickpet, I am not sure if I'll go that route. It's easier for me just to add links to apps on the second entry of this thread, as I try them out. This way, they can be updated easily.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Cheers
Last edited by Tman on Sun 22 May 2011, 02:54, edited 3 times in total.

puppyiso

#5 Post by puppyiso »

Tman, the screenshot SP-pic03.jpg looks very familiar to me.

l2ulinux

Introducing SolidPup

#6 Post by l2ulinux »

I downloaded & burn a copy and I like it. I wish you added one more web browser like Iron, Firefox are maybe Qtweb.

Thank new for the release to play with.

Tman

#7 Post by Tman »

Puppyiso: That is a nice pic, don't you think? :)

l2ulinux: The list in the 1st entry of this thread will grow and as I find and test new software that I find to be compatiable with SolidPup. I think Barry is going to be compiling Firefox4 for Wary soon.

Lobster: You were right; SolidPup was detecting and loading your Wary save file at startup. The good side effect is that it boots straight to Gui. You most likely know to get it running in pristine boot mode but this is for others who may not know:

If you already have Wary installed on your system, you can make a copy of your savefile. eg if your save file is named "warysave.2fs" you can make a copy named "warysave-2.2fs". Next reboot SolidPup. On startup, it should find the 2 savefiles and ask which one you want to use.
** CHOOSE NONE to boot without a savefile. If everything works properly, the main Gui should look like what is displayed in SP-pic01 found near the top of this thread. This is not the best fix, but it works.

I tried changing the default savefile from "warysave" to "solidsave" by editing /etc/DISTRO_SPECS, but it didn't work for me. I don't know if it can be done with a simple remaster. For my next puplet, I think I am going to go with the grub bootloader like what Shinobar has done. That should solve the problem.
Last edited by Tman on Sun 22 May 2011, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

puppyiso

#8 Post by puppyiso »

Tman, the link to chronium is not working.

Do you hav the sfs?
You can download chromium12.0.716.0-79490w5.sfs from http://terryphillips.org.uk/warystuff/c ... 9490w5.sfs . The download location is protected by the usual username and password. Browser download only - no wget.
Your SolidPup is "solid"

This is the first lupu I liked.

John

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

This is not the best fix, but it works
Many thanks - you have at least two fans 8)
Please keep tweaking and developing
- your insights and experience will prove invaluable

Implement this solid browser improvement (assuming it is) and your fan base will go up even further . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 331#521331

Good Luck 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Ray MK

#10 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

now you have a 3rd fan - nice puppy.

been using solidpup for a few days and all seems ok.

many thanks for making this available to us and for the attention to detail.

very best regards - ray

l2ulinux

SolidPup

#11 Post by l2ulinux »

Thank you for the nice upgrade to Wary-5.1.1. It is hard to explain what I want say. You have made what was easy to use even easier and much more colorful. I love it when someone has the nerve to work with what is there and make it better.
Thanks for the good work.

Tman

#12 Post by Tman »

Puppysio: I just tried the link to Chromium and it seems to be okay. Please try it again; it might have been down when you tried it.

Glad that you guys like SolidPup. I like Wary because the base ISO is quite a bit smaller then lupu's. However, one disadvantage is that a lot of lupu apps won't work on Wary due to missing dependencies.

puppyiso

#13 Post by puppyiso »

I tried Sold pup a few days and I have to tell you there are a few issues that need some attention.

1) Flickering screen

2) 2. installed firefox is unstable. It turns itself off.

3. Nendo is not working with wine anymore. Other lup snow-16 it worked well

4. Had trouble with xorgwizard in the begining.

5. Crominium not workig and neither the wine

6. Most importantly, Time is all messed up every time I boot

oligin10

icewm config not working

#14 Post by oligin10 »

Hi, thanks for this new puplet. Really liking it, but not having enough time right now to really test it. I did find that icewm config does not work. I tried to change taskbar to top, and followed given instructions, and I cannot seem to get it to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This seems to be a well thought out remaster, and I am hoping to get a chance to remaster it for use on old computers for friends and people who cannot afford a new computer. Thanks, Rob

Tman

#15 Post by Tman »

oligin10: Thank you. I will try to find out the problem with icewm-config.

Lobster: Thank you for your suggestions about the browser addons; I will see what I can do.

Puppyiso: Thanks for the report.

I will mirror Chromium 12, Firefox 4 and hopefully a compatable version of Wine on smokey01.com tommorrow.
Which version of firefox are you using? If you are using apps compiled for Lucid Puppy, I just wanted to let you know that a lot of them won't work in Solidpup, which is Wary-based. [EDIT: Chromium has been removed]

**EDIT - If you want to experiment, try the libdbus-plus.pet from the link below. That was what I needed to get firefox 4 working.

For your flickering screen, I am guessing that you need a better video driver. Can you tell me what video card you have on your system?
Oh..and if it is flickering over the menus in icewm; that is more of an icewm thing, but an optimized video driver would minimize the problem.
As for your problems with the incorrect time, my computer shows the correct time; but I have come across that problem before on a different pup. I will get back to you on that tommorrow, on a solution.

dbus-1.2.4.2-1_dbus-glib-0.82-w5.pet
-
Last edited by Tman on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.

Tman

#16 Post by Tman »

Puppyiso: The method below should readjust your clock to match the time set by your bios.
Go to the Setup menu and click on Puppy Setup Wizard. Then see the pic attached below for easy instructions.

EDIT: This does not apply to versions released on June-04-11 and later, as the Country-Settings wizard has changed in the updated releases.
Attachments
set-time.jpg
re-edited May 21, 2011
(107.37 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
Last edited by Tman on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 20:52, edited 2 times in total.

Tman

#17 Post by Tman »

Puppyiso: I assume by Nendo, you are referring to the 3D modelling software by Izware. I downloaded it today and it didn't work for me either. After upgrading the xorgwizard to version 7.5, it managed to start in Wine. I have only tested it briefly. Hope it works for you.

Oligin10:
I have looked into the problem, with IceWM Configuration; apparently it works in Lucid Puppies but not Quirky or Wary. I have a hunch that it has something do with the GTK bug mentioned in the thread below:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65675
Unfortunately, I cannot fix the problem :(

You can move the taskbar to the top by manually editing the 'preferences' file located in '/root/.icewm'.
Search for the line that starts with 'TaskBarAtTop' and change the 0 to a 1. The settings will take effect when you restart IceWM.

Colonel Panic

#18 Post by Colonel Panic »

Looks good so thanks for putting it together! I've just downloaded it now.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

oligin10

#19 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks for the help Tman. I will do some more testing. I tried to do a full install, but I screwed something up. Really liking this, and I hope you will continue working on this. Thanks, Rob

puppyiso

#20 Post by puppyiso »

Tman, I checked the bios. It doesn't match with Solidpup and even if I set the time in Solid, it just get mixed up at next boot.

I have no time set trouble with other puppies.

Nendo worked fine with snowpup. But I think that it was already installed in Windows.

Was the wine version problem? Other than these, Solid is good at adsl, Korean support and wings 3d linux version.

I just check my physical clock and give up using Nendo.

It's all settled now.

John.
Last edited by puppyiso on Thu 19 May 2011, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.