Difference Between Puppy & Ubuntu

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Eyes-Only

#21 Post by Eyes-Only »

[ - comment deleted - but eyes kept on a "certain individual" :x ]
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

oops I am watched by one Big Cat and one Big Doggie.

So the Terminal only name that user root. But as I remember it did change the $ sign to the Hash # sign indicating me was in root really!

But then why would Rcrsn51 confirm that what I tried to do is impossible by design of how linux works or maybe how the hardware works. Taht is the impression I got.

Rcrsn51 would not lie to me to bluff about such a thing. And he knows very much about how puppy and other OS works. I have followed his comments now for many years and he is usually always right in what he says.

Bernie what I can think you are right about is if one stop the boot and go into prompt and tell the OS that one want to boot and log in as root then maybe it will not set the menu.lst as read only but to give permissions to write to it.

But not even the Dev of AntiX suggested I should do such thing and is that even possible in the three or four OS that I did test it on?

You only want to show me that you can do it with an identical set up as I have if I pay you? Was that correct way of reading your text? :)

You tell me now what you would have done if you where in my situation.
Have I read you right there?

When I read you first time I thought you wrote that you have done recently enough to remember how you did it or that you can do it now using same set up as I have.

How do you know that that is so if you never have done the same set up? Theory is one thing and practice can be a totally other thing.

I go to bed now so the reason I don't answer is that I am sleeping and dreaming of being chased by Big Cats and Dogs :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

puppyite wrote:nooby
Looks like you cause problems in every thread you post in.
Yes that is very true. But we talk about how hardware and software work together and them don't care about how annoying I am and I did follow advice of people that don't cause problem so the software should have behaved as they are used to unless I failed to follow their advice that is.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#24 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

nooby wrote: So the Terminal only name that user root. But as I remember it did change the $ sign to the Hash # sign indicating me was in root really!
No, that indicates NOTHING. Each user can have his own sign.
nooby wrote: Bernie what I can think you are right about is if one stop the boot and go into prompt and tell the OS that one want to boot and log in as root then maybe it will not set the menu.lst as read only but to give permissions to write to it.

But not even the Dev of AntiX suggested I should do such thing and is that even possible in the three or four OS that I did test it on?
It may not be possible to log in as root that way.
nooby wrote: You only want to show me that you can do it with an identical set up as I have if I pay you? Was that correct way of reading your text? :)
That's one way. My fee is $2,000 for the first day's work plus $500 for each additional day. If I don't have a solution in ten days, I will refund half your money. The bank commissioner in Nigeria, Mr. Barrister Thomas, will accept my fee and send you a receipt. :)
nooby wrote: When I read you first time I thought you wrote that you have done recently enough to remember how you did it or that you can do it now using same set up as I have.

How do you know that that is so if you never have done the same set up? Theory is one thing and practice can be a totally other thing.
What I said was:
My menu.lst is on an ntfs partition and I have no trouble editing it and saving it in any distro I use -- Puppy, Mepis, DSL, PCLOS or Knoppix. I haven’t seen any files on any distro I’ve used that block root access. I doubt that can be done successfully. Root can always reach a file one way or the other.
Let's get a bit more specific about your system. You said Archiso. Which version are you using?

Also you might state exactly how this is related to the topic (Puppy and Ubantu difference).

sheepy

Re: Difference Between Puppy & Ubuntu

#25 Post by sheepy »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
l2ulinux wrote:Puppy Linux is a distribution to use on older computers, or to run from a CD or USB.
Puppy works fine on a brand new top-of-the-line computer. Ubuntu can be run from a CD or USB. A live CD is the only way I've ever looked at Ubuntu. I looked at it about three hours total in six years starting with 5.10. It's remained consistently crap over the years.
l2ulinux wrote:The whole system is usually about 85MB, which is small for an operating system. As a result, Puppy Linux usually boots quickly..
Puppy is usually about 120MB which is still small. Traditionally in Linux boot time is totally unimportant. Linux is known for running for years without a reboot. The command uptime is built into the Linux kernel to allow bragging about how long Linux has gone without a reboot. Today a friend of mine told me his Red Hat system has now been up 750 days. Linux is all about stability, not boot up speed.
l2ulinux wrote:Ubuntu is an operating system that is intended to compete on a level playing field with the Windows operating system, offering software alternatives in every arena of normal computer use: OpenOffice for office applications, Firefox for Internet browsing, Rhythmbox for music, and Totem Movie Player for video. When users need new software, Ubuntu provides Synaptic Package Manager to easily install new software, and Ubuntu takes care of automatic updates to your system, just like Windows. .
Ubuntu is far inferior to Windows and it’s an inferior distro in Linux. It’s designed for newbies and generally avoided by Linux old timers. Automatic updates? I've used the same version of XP for eight years without a single "update" automatic or otherwise.
l2ulinux wrote:After the kernel, their similarity ends. Puppy is much more bare-bones, intended for a different audience than Ubuntu. Puppy was made for slimmer, older hardware, while Ubuntu is made for the newest hardware on the market. That's not to say Ubuntu won't work well on a 3-year-old computer. It will, but it's made for direct competition with the newest operating systems, while Puppy is really not .
Actually Puppy compares well with any operating system and it’s certainly far superior to Ubuntu. Puppy was never intended to be used only on old hardware.
l2ulinux wrote:However, Ubuntu, the most commonly used Linux distro, according to Distrowatch.com, will seem easier to use for most new users. Its appearance and graphical interface is more similar in function and style to a Windows operating system than Puppy's. Most new users will gravitate to Ubuntu, given this choice, unless older hardware dictates a slimmer operating system, in which case Puppy Linux would be a great choice.
Ubuntu is certainly not the most commonly used Linux distro. Distrowatch ranks by measuring one and only one thing-- the number of hits on its own web pages. It's totally meaningless as far as determining the number of users. A person might check out a half dozen small systems on Distrowatch but that doesn’t mean he chose Puppy or anything else just because he looked at its page. Most Linux users never look at or have never heard of Distrowatch.

Newbies interested in a Windows lookalike are attracted to Ubuntu. Those with more sense are attracted to more traditional Linux distros... or to nontraditional Puppy. :)
Uhhh. No.

Believe it or not, I actually use Ubuntu as my main distro. And, no, it is most definitely not for people who want a "winbloze look-alike." honestly, I think that's really ignorant. If you know what you're doing, you can make it look/feel any possible way you want. Want to know how I use Ubuntu? I have no panel, desktop-manager, or anything of the sort. I do everything through terminal and gmrun. How can you say that Ubuntu was meant for newer hardawre and such? You can change everything in Ubuntu the same way you can with Puppy. In fact, I'm thinking about editing the Ubuntu iso and changing the window manager, file manager, desktop-drawer, everything, and making a completely minimalistic derivative, with the glory of Ubuntu's vast selection of repositories and packages.

Insulting Ubuntu is like insulting Debian, which is one of the first distributions in Linux. Puppy was made around 10 years after Debian.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#26 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

sheepy wrote: Insulting Ubuntu is like insulting Debian, which is one of the first distributions in Linux. Puppy was made around 10 years after Debian.
Not exactly. I used Debian on and off for six years. I used Ubuntu about three hours. That's how I think those two compare. Now I've used Puppy about three months and it's become my everyday workhorse. I go to XP or Knoppix only when I need to do certain things quickly.

Nowadays Ubuntu is almost universally recommended by Linux reviewers as the best distro for newcomers to Linux and for "Windows refugees." I think that's wrong but that's how it is.
sheepy wrote:You can change everything in Ubuntu the same way you can with Puppy.
This is true of about every Linux distro. So?

Being a newcomer to this forum you might not realize that I'm really not a fan of Puppy. I like using it myself but I would never recommend it to anyone else. On the extremely rare occasions when I have suggested a Linux distro, either for Linux beginners or old hands, I named only Knoppix -- which by the way -- is a just a junior Debian. I also use Mepis and DSL that are Debian-based. I know Debian which makes its derivatives easier for me to use productively right off the bat.

There is no right or wrong distro but there are right and wrong fits for both users and hardware. Some go together smoothly but some don't. Ubuntu generally goes well with Linux newcomers and current hardware while Puppy usually goes well with either hobbyist tinkerers or those who have ancient hardware.
[color=green]Frugal[/color]: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
[color=blue]USB[/color]: DSL 4.4.10
[color=red]Full[/color]: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.

nooby

#27 Post by nooby »

Hi Bernie, sorry long delay. My Sleep Apnea made me sleep some 10 hour or so. Not good at all. You can come to my funeral if it goes on for longer :)

Now back to hardware and software and first things first.

Difference Between Puppy & Ubuntu

Puppy is different in the way it allowed me who is an Ms Windows and Ubuntu refugee to find a Linux environ that allowed me to get something going on my 4 computers.

So the biggest difference I as a complete??? newbie found to be different was that Puppy was root. Ubuntu had Sudo which I never learn to get used to. Puppy allowed me to do things that Ubuntu failed to allow me. Puppy was fast when I used the DVD and it saved on the DVD that I used a Swedish keyboard with åäö and such crazy letters. Ubuntu did not save that on the DVD. I started with Ubuntu 6.04 and Puppy 4.0

Back to my set up. First thanks for looking up what you actually said that got me going.
My menu.lst is on an ntfs partition and I have no trouble editing it and saving it in any distro I use -- Puppy, Mepis, DSL, PCLOS or Knoppix. I haven’t seen any files on any distro I’ve used that block root access. I doubt that can be done successfully. Root can always reach a file one way or the other.
I should have read that with more curious eyes. I think the reason we are so disagreeing lies there in that text.

Your menu.lst is on the ntfs but we have to establish where is the OS that you boot up on? The same ntfs partition or another linux partition like ext2 or ext3 or Reiferts or something else?

My current computer is an OEM version of Acer D250 and that means it is loaded with Ads programs that are only for test 30 days or so and bloated with that extra software so they have made three partitions on it. Acer has one ntfs partition (hd0,0) Recovery has one (hd0,1) and Ms win7 has the one (hd0,2) that I have everything linux on. inclusively the menulist and gldr.

Sure I could move both menu.lst and gldr to (hd0,1) then most likely I could do as you would be able to do if I pay you :)

So my menu.lst looks like this

title Wary-511-fido Puppy Linux
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /wary-511-fido/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev=sda3 pusubdir=wary-511-fido puppy nosmp pfix=fsck
initrd /wary-511-fido/initrd.gz

title SwiftOS fail to do sda3 write but read okay
root (hd0,2)
kernel /swift/vmlinuz vga=791 fromhd=/dev/sda3 fromiso=/swift/swiftlinux-0_0_3.iso drvr=intel xres=1024x768
initrd /swift/initrd.gz

title Archiso-live by Godane
root (hd0,2)
kernel /archiso/boot/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda3/archiso rw elevator=deadline load=overlay session=xfce
initrd /archiso/boot/initrd.img

title antiX-11 frugal using iso use blkid
root (hd0,2)
kernel /antiXboot-M11/vmlinuz fromhd=UUID=xxxxxxxx fromiso=antiX-M11.iso vga=791
initrd /antiXboot-M11/initrd.gz

Archiso is this one by Godane
http://godane.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/ ... 4-release/

Maybe the one I used is the older one so I will test the new one later.
I tested both AntiX 8.5 and 11 newest version.

Swift is really AntiX8.5 with a different way to make it look and behave but plain AntiX beneath that outer appearnce.

I tested a few others too but have now forgotten them. Chakra, PureOS, Lubuntu, what could I have forgotten. I add them later :)

So everthing is on NTFS HDD with menu.lst and gldr and iso and files and all of it on same and I trust rcrsn51 when he say that if one set it up like that then it is impossible to use a live iso because by design them are made to treat the boot medium in this case (hd0,2) AKA sda3 as the CDROM and thus only readable and that is not something that Root can change due to how things work in Linux one would need to rewrite the script that do the boot set up.

One actually see that at boot if one have a chance to read what it says it does at boot. I don't remember exact words but it does say it set the boot medium or hdd as read only and that as I get it has higher authority than root has later.

You are most likely right that it is too late to when one boot and tell it too boot as root. It has already set the (hd0,2) sda3 as only readable then in the sequence of priorities it goes through.

So I fail to get why you are so sure of yourself.

I will test it using Knoppix Adriane maybe that one are like puppy an exception to the norm too. Slitaz as I remember did not even allow me to ever see the (hd0,2) at all. But maybe I have to give it another try now when I know how sure you are that everything is possible if one are the dreaded root guy.

ragaman

#28 Post by ragaman »

Differences between Puppy and Ubuntu from a layperson's viewpoint:

1) Can install Puppy in many different ways in almost any storage device one's PC's BIOS can boot from. Try installing Ubuntu on a 1GB USB drive.
2) It's so easy to remaster Puppy. I created a puppy remaster based on Macpup51 which was specifically designed to fix other computers (antivirus, disk wipe, data recovery, partition management, etc.). And it fits to a 1 GB USB drive or a CD. I'm currently making a new remaster based on Macpup52. I wonder if I can do this easily on Ubuntu.
3) Ubuntu's updates can sometimes break your OS. When I updated Ubuntu 10.10, I ended up with an OS with no GUI, just CLI. Never will I update again.
4) It's easier to install software on Ubuntu. Sure Puppy can use Ubuntu's repository, but sometimes software installation fails. I still have Ubuntu on my home PC because I was unsuccessful in installing Openshot. Fortunately, Diaboluque and Puppy Studio (lowtech's) came along.
5) Puppy is fast. It doesn't matter if you are using an old PC or one of those latest powerful beasts. Puppy leaves Ubuntu in the dust, every time.
6) For someone new to Linux, Ubuntu is easier to handle. I was ushered into the Linux world by Ubuntu. As I gained more knowledge, I strayed into the Puppy kennel and fell in love with this distro. Puppy is easy for me to use because I learned so much from my Ubuntu experience.

sheepy

#29 Post by sheepy »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
sheepy wrote: Insulting Ubuntu is like insulting Debian, which is one of the first distributions in Linux. Puppy was made around 10 years after Debian.
Not exactly. I used Debian on and off for six years. I used Ubuntu about three hours. That's how I think those two compare. Now I've used Puppy about three months and it's become my everyday workhorse. I go to XP or Knoppix only when I need to do certain things quickly.

Nowadays Ubuntu is almost universally recommended by Linux reviewers as the best distro for newcomers to Linux and for "Windows refugees." I think that's wrong but that's how it is.
sheepy wrote:You can change everything in Ubuntu the same way you can with Puppy.

Being a newcomer to this forum you might not realize that I'm really not a fan of Puppy. I like using it myself but I would never recommend it to anyone else. On the extremely rare occasions when I have suggested a Linux distro, either for Linux beginners or old hands, I named only Knoppix -- which by the way -- is a just a junior Debian. I also use Mepis and DSL that are Debian-based. I know Debian which makes its derivatives easier for me to use productively right off the bat.

There is no right or wrong distro but there are right and wrong fits for both users and hardware. Some go together smoothly but some don't. Ubuntu generally goes well with Linux newcomers and current hardware while Puppy usually goes well with either hobbyist tinkerers or those who have ancient hardware.
Yes, but you act as though Ubuntu lacks power or something. You said it was inferior in the Linux world. It's very simple to change the environment and make it just as lightweight as Puppy. The buntu family has more compatibility than any other distro.

In my opinion, Ubuntu is for those who need to get things done that would otherwise have to be one with Windoze. Most other distros lack apps for specific tasks that not everyone would have to do. That's where Ubuntu comes in.

sheepy

#30 Post by sheepy »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:

Yes, but you act as though Ubuntu lacks power or something. You said it was inferior in the Linux world. It's very simple to change the environment and make it just as lightweight as Puppy. The buntu family has more compatibility than any other distro.

In my opinion, Ubuntu is for those who need to get things done that would otherwise have to be one with Windoze. Most other distros lack apps for specific tasks that not everyone would have to do. That's where Ubuntu comes in.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#31 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

nooby wrote: Your menu.lst is on the ntfs but we have to establish where is the OS that you boot up on? The same ntfs partition or another linux partition like ext2 or ext3 or Reiferts or something else?
My systems are scattered all over the place on 7 or 8 different partitions but two of them, both older versions of Knoppix are on that same ntsf partition as the menu.lst.
nooby wrote: Sure I could move both menu.lst and gldr to (hd0,1) then most likely I could do as you would be able to do if I pay you :)
Yes, but you would feel better knowing that you had paid to have it done right. :)
nooby wrote: Archiso is this one by Godane
http://godane.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/ ... 4-release/
Since I'm on dialup I have a friend with a fast connection download larger things to a flash drive for me. It may be a couple of days before I can pick it up but I'll get it.
nooby wrote: I will test it using Knoppix Adriane maybe that one are like puppy an exception to the norm too. Slitaz as I remember did not even allow me to ever see the (hd0,2) at all. But maybe I have to give it another try now when I know how sure you are that everything is possible if one are the dreaded root guy.
Since you're Scandinavian you must know the Tale of Yggdrasil whose Root reaches through all time and space. Ubuntu is a tiny twig on that tree but everything is possible for Root.

nooby

#32 Post by nooby »

I have to trust you on your words but you do have experience of when it does not work. And I trust that is why it did not work for me. My set up most likely think it is a CDROM live distro and as you know those are a bit different in how they treat the CD most of the time. Puppy can write to it and Knoppix lately has added this due to requests from users?

Anyway Godane seems to have concentrated on Slitaz instead. His latest laptop having not enough memory for making bigger things?

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#33 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

sheepy wrote: Yes, but you act as though Ubuntu lacks power or something. You said it was inferior in the Linux world. It's very simple to change the environment and make it just as lightweight as Puppy. The buntu family has more compatibility than any other distro.
I said nothing about any lack of power. All Linux kernels have essentially the same power. I said nothing about lightweight. Lightweight is usually a disadvantage.

It is not correct that Ubuntu has more compatibility than any other distro.
sheepy wrote: In my opinion, Ubuntu is for those who need to get things done that would otherwise have to be one with Windoze. Most other distros lack apps for specific tasks that not everyone would have to do. That's where Ubuntu comes in.
Debian now comes on five or six DVD's. How many DVD's does it take to hold Ubuntu? Name one specific task Ubuntu can do that Knoppix can't do... or that Puppy can't do.

There is no Linux distro that can do everything Windows can do. The drivers and apps just don't exist.

sheepy

#34 Post by sheepy »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
sheepy wrote: Yes, but you act as though Ubuntu lacks power or something. You said it was inferior in the Linux world. It's very simple to change the environment and make it just as lightweight as Puppy. The buntu family has more compatibility than any other distro.
I said nothing about any lack of power. All Linux kernels have essentially the same power. I said nothing about lightweight. Lightweight is usually a disadvantage.

It is not correct that Ubuntu has more compatibility than any other distro.
sheepy wrote: In my opinion, Ubuntu is for those who need to get things done that would otherwise have to be one with Windoze. Most other distros lack apps for specific tasks that not everyone would have to do. That's where Ubuntu comes in.
Debian now comes on five or six DVD's. How many DVD's does it take to hold Ubuntu? Name one specific task Ubuntu can do that Knoppix can't do... or that Puppy can't do.

There is no Linux distro that can do everything Windows can do. The drivers and apps just don't exist.

Try running compiz effects in Puppy.
Try running a heavily DirectX-dependent 3D game in Wine on Knoppix or Puppy. Chances are, it will work half as often as it will in Ubuntu. I have gotten Aion, Shaiya, Talisman, both Left 4 Dead's, Black Ops, (I hate that game, btw) and Star Wars: Force Unleashed to all work flawlessly under Wine in Ubuntu. I've only had one or two 3D games fail to run under Wine in Ubuntu, while other distros never even have one work.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#35 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

sheepy wrote: Try running compiz effects in Puppy.
Try running a heavily DirectX-dependent 3D game in Wine on Knoppix or Puppy. Chances are, it will work half as often as it will in Ubuntu. I have gotten Aion, Shaiya, Talisman, both Left 4 Dead's, Black Ops, (I hate that game, btw) and Star Wars: Force Unleashed to all work flawlessly under Wine in Ubuntu. I've only had one or two 3D games fail to run under Wine in Ubuntu, while other distros never even have one work.
Well, I don't do games. I dislike Wine strongly and only use it for four minor programs in a sandbox-like compartment. I certainly don't do Direct-X which is one of the most dangerous components of Windows. So I have no personal experience with any of these.

The very existence of Wine proves the superiority of Windows. However, having said that, Wine is Wine. The same version of Wine should work exactly the same in Ubuntu, Knoppix and Puppy. According to the Wine developers there is no difference in how Wine works in various distros.

I find it more than curious that you would attempt to demonstrate the superiority of a Linux distro by how well it runs Windows programs. Odd. This is exactly the same as saying Ubuntu is better because it can run Microsoft Office under Wine better than any other distro.

Running compiz effects? Compiz with compiz effects is installed by default in Knoppix so I looked at it and played with it a bit. Not impressed. As far as Puppy goes, this is a matter of comparing a 120GB distro to a 650GB distro. I know my graphics card/driver can handle compiz with effects but this is a relatively large install for Puppy, at least 22MB and probably more. This is about a two-hour download for me on dialup so I don’t think it’s worth my time and effort to install it just to demonstrate how easy it is. I can’t see that I would ever have any use for it. However, I am certain that compiz effects can be run on Puppy as others have done it in the past.

nooby

#36 Post by nooby »

from the link in the first post.

Puppy Disctinctives

Puppy Linux is a distribution to use on older computers, or to run from a CD or USB. The whole system is usually about 85MB, which is small for an operating system. As a result, Puppy Linux usually boots quickly. Many users choose Puppy Linux for this speed and for the tools that come standard on a Puppy system image that can be burned and booted from CD. Puppy is a good choice for older hardware, too. Because it's so small, you can easily install it onto an older hard drive. It takes up less space and operates smoothly.
Wary most likely try to be for older computers.
Puppeee is for the Asus eeeepc netbook types.
Fluppy and Snowpup works good on an Acer Netbook.
Quirky is for Barry to experiment with new ideas.
Lupu short for Lucid Puppy make use of the Ubuntu repo
and works best on rather modern computers but not on the Acer D250 due to that one only having Atom N270 so I needed to add nosmp to the kernel line for Lupu to boot consistently each time instead of one out of ten when it was at the worst but it cleared up in the end so it booted 9 out of 10 times so I still use the nosmp just in case.

Puppy is seldom as small as that text says. Lupu try to be less than 128 targetting computers with 256MB RAM memories?

666philb

#37 Post by 666philb »

sheepy wrote:

Try running compiz effects in Puppy.
the compiz_xfce4-4.6.2-Lucid.pet works fine on my lupu525, spinning cube,wobbly windows etc....
and i've had dragonage origins, stalker shadow of chenobyl, eufloria, working well in wine.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#38 Post by Lobster »

Read this from Paul on Distrowatch
Ubuntu gets cursed for changing its default desktop from Gnome to Unity and many users threaten to jump ship. Yet, this week, Puppy announces that the maintainer of Puppy Lucid gets to take a break and that will end the Ubuntu connection. It will be up to the next maintainer to select a package base for Puppy 5.3. Where is the outrage for this announcement?

Yes, Ubuntu made a major change for Natty. I tried it and still use Lucid. I also used Puppy in the past, keeping it for a liveCD distro. But, every time I download the latest version of Puppy, it is very different from the last version. Puppy gets a pass on criticism for its many changes. Why?

I guess it is because Puppy has such a small following and Ubuntu has become the Linux version of MIcrosoft. It made the mistake of being successful.

Paul
Good that Puppy is being compared. :)

Puppy used to undergo radical changes every 6 weeks.
Tsk tsk - the audacity of being radical . . .

Now it takes a little longer . . .
At the moment I am using Dejans revised and updated Dpup
- we seem to have lost the talented guy known as Guy Posil.

At the moment I have Windows on my system
- just never use it. Another partition has Ubuntu
- again rarely used. Use what works guys.

Larry is updating Lucid, many are creating, starting and implementing eg Spup, Icepup, Wary, Solidpup
Even complete forks such as Calf from Igu
http://www.iguleder.info/

Yep we are still frisky! :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

37fleetwood

#39 Post by 37fleetwood »

got a kick out of reading this thread, I started with Linux years ago with Red Hat. I went back to Windows for several years as Linux wasn't terribly easy to use in 2001.
I found Puppy in 2007 and used it off and on for a year or two when I decided that Linux had finally advanced enough to be used full time. I searched and played with all the distros I could find and it actually came down to Puppy and Ubuntu as the front runners.
both distros have very distinct advantages and both have a few disadvantages. because I mainly like to get things done and have gone past wanting to tweak an os all the time I went with Ubuntu as my full time distro and occasionally play with Puppy. Gnome as a de is hard to beat, Nautilus over Rox was a no brainer. I bought my computer components with Ubuntu in mind and have not had any real problems. upgrades have gone flawlessly and on a fairly decent computer Ubuntu is still way faster and more nimble than Windows. sure it's slower than Puppy but isn't that to be expected?
I think it's funny how we tend to form camps around our favorites and can be a bit unfair in our criticism of the opposing camp, but really both Puppy and Ubuntu are amazing in what they offer and I tend to like to think of myself as in the anti-Windows camp.
I know some will take exception to what I have said but I suppose you have your computer and I have mine and both options are open to each of us. enjoy your computer as you like it. me, I like Gnome with compiz and lots of eye candy and all the heavy apps. :lol:
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

nooby

#40 Post by nooby »

Lobster reminded me that Iguleder work on his Calf Linux.

"Even complete forks such as Calf from Igu
http://www.iguleder.info/
So sure I will test that one too when there is an iso to download.