.Pet fixes misbehaving menus in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Kal

.Pet fixes misbehaving menus in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5

#1 Post by Kal »

Have you ever noticed that Lupu Puppy 5.2.5 does not behave correctly in the menus? The main menus breakdown into sub-menus with only one item in it. This is happening even when the configuration files are correct for the xdg menu manager, these control the main menu layout.

We have found one solution, which substitutes Wary or Quirky files for one dependency library in Lupu, correcting this problem. Here is a pet which deactivates the one bad file in Lupu 5.2.5, Look below.

duke93535

Lupu Menu Fix

#2 Post by duke93535 »

Here is an updated menu fix for Lupu. We discovered that one of the libraries was unnecessary in the end, the library “libgnome-menu
Attachments
lupu-2fix-menu.pet
(33.15 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

Do I need this if I am not running JWM as the window manager and will the fix transend to help the openbox desktop also?
I currently do not run JWM.
I even tried making a submenu in games and it worked fine.
That is until I rebooted.
Then it was gone.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Applied the fix and it works for Openbox too.
Thanks for this fix!

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

Just a note on installing this. If you had duke's earlier pet installed, you have to remove it, then reboot, then install this one. I tried doing it without a reboot, and the new pet never got activated.

duke93535

#6 Post by duke93535 »

Thanks Paul for the added information on the upgrading.

Yes, bigpup is correct on it working with fbpanel (openbox), probably Icewm and some other window managers. Any others like KDE, etc may not be control by puppy’s xdg, but have their own xdg or controls on the their menus.

I found that shinobar noted the repair for this bug back in Aug of last year.

Note, if you have a newer computer with 6 cores, larger memory and a DSL connections, as I do. Puppy compliance is best with jamesbond’s Wary instead of Lupu. because of having the pae activated in the kernel.

The menus are correct from the get go. Wary is suppose to be better suited for older equipment. but the reverse is true with this variant. See this post.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 309#510309

MikeyBrat

fixmenus

#7 Post by MikeyBrat »

Works in Icewm on Mijnpup 520 too! Nice! :D

duke93535

Sub-menus

#8 Post by duke93535 »

Of the newer puppies, Precise by Barry, still works correctly on the menus, as is with xdg.

Slacko 5.4, Fatdog 611 have changed the system some what and do not work as well on the menus (I may not understand the newer system as well as the older), it seems to be an all or nothing on the sub-menus. I have learned to live with no sub-menus as the better choice.

To get no sub-menus in those, go to /root/.jwm/JWMRC (the .jwm is hidden, so use the eye in rox tool bar) and change the top of JWMRC like so, with a text editor.

Code: Select all

#SUBMENU=