EZ-Woof-525 - The Lucid 5.2.5 Build Environment

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#61 Post by playdayz »

There are several things which hit almost simultaneously in your back yard. PAE, 525 update, sound, EZ WOOF! These are significant because of the hardware PCs that I thought Puppy 5+ was aimed at.....recent PCs. Barry is very clear that WARY is designed for the older PCs Everyone understands that FATDOG addresses 64but PCs, Puppy is for modern PCs.

What would be the BEST possible method of combining these into something that lets you walk away knowing that 99% of all PUP525 will be addressed everytime EZ-WOOF is engaged? Right now, this community doesn't have that. There is way too much work necessary to pull that together. For example, build the system then search and apply current updates, then fix the ... when you know.
Can a new PUP525 base be put together and made availabe with updates, simply using EZ-WOOF with an example by you as a testametnt to its ease of use and as an example?
That's the action question, isn't it? Answer. I can make an EZ-Woof-525 V2 with the Instant Update included *and* the capability to use an advanced kernel. as soon as I see a compatible advanced kernel built in Lucid 5.2.5 in EZ-Woof-525. One criterion of "compatible advanced kernel" is that everything works correctly on first boot, including audio, and it undergoes some testing to insure there are no obvious glitches--it will play video correctly on youtube and hulu just for instance.

<Add> Concerning the audio, all sound cards should be detected and configured.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 05 May 2011, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#62 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
One criterion of "compatible advanced kernel" is that everything works correctly on first boot, including audio, and it undergoes some testing to insure there are no obvious glitches--it will play video correctly on youtube and hulu just for instance.
Agreed completely, and we are not there with 5.25 yet...
I am examining the differences between 5.25 and pemasu`s IcePuppy series, which work exceptionally well for something "R.H.E." as he put it... My 5.29 has the exact bugs you listed, but IcePuppy doesnt (except the alsa location bugs, which should be no problem)...Same kernel, different build...
Flash, ie youtube, escapes me as of yet...
Works fine at regular size, or in a popup....but fullscreen goes white, and renders my laptop unresponsive...
Only restarting X restores the desktop, and leaves firefox running as a zombie...killall wont...only pprocess will kill it..
Currently, testing with FF 3.03 and Flash 10...
Firefox`s "crash reporter" states it did not create a "dump"..
It must be flash...I will update FF and Flash, and try again...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

stu90

#63 Post by stu90 »

I have been using pemasu's 2.6.38.4 kernel with lucid puppy 525 lite for a few days now other than minor bug already highlighted its been working well for me.

Currently using firefox 4 and flash http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... .159.1.pet
I haven't encountered any problems with full screen flash on the sites i use like youtube, tvcatchup, seesaw.

puppyluvr

#64 Post by puppyluvr »

Currently rebuilding 5.29 with FF4 and flash built in...Will see if that corrects the problem....As for alsa, an easy fix Im sure....

Be back when the build finishes, or tomorrow...LOL...

Also building a T2 woof with 2.6.38.4....
Will post the results in the new "kernel testing" thread I started....
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

pemasu

#65 Post by pemasu »

2.6.38.4 kernel is still work under progress, testing and feedback.
2.6.38.2 kernel used in Ice Puppy-006 http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/KernelPe ... .2-lupe15/ is more tested overall about hardware detection.

2.6.38.4 will still go through new kernel compilations.

Just wanted to say that because of this fast speed in new builds.
I knew from before that progress in Puppy Community is quick, 2 months old build is called dinosaur, lol.

2byte

#66 Post by 2byte »

A word of caution to those not experienced with woof, like myself.

The problems I had reported earlier in this thread about the /sandbox3/pinstall.sh script modifying the running system are not caused by woof. They are from the pinstall.sh scripts from individual .pet packages. Apparently the woof build process takes these scripts and adds them to the /sandbox3/pinstall.sh and executes this during the build. Since .pet packages are normally additions to a Puppy system their pinstall scripts may be designed to modify that system instead of the build being created by woof.

Do yourself a favor and review all of the pinstall scripts in the build tree (not just packages-pet) to be sure the changes will be made to the build and not to your carefully configured system.
~
P.S. This might also be the cause for some packages not working correctly after a build.

gcmartin

#67 Post by gcmartin »

Interesting @2byte.
... review all of the pinstall scripts ...
I wonder if the Woof/EZWoof builders are aware of this (I'm sure they are) and I wonder if there is some tool somewhere which will check PETs for WOOF use? Seem like there would b some sort of "alarm" mechanism built-in.

Hope this helps

pemasu

#68 Post by pemasu »

For testers. 2.6.38.4-lupe18 has been released. It solves usb hdd detection problems found in some hw in previous kernel.
Stu90 has already made Lucid Lite 525 using this kernel. He has also improved the volume setup by implementing asound.state usage inside alsamixer-fix script. I installed his previous fix to the Ice Puppy and got welcoming wuf wuf at first boot. Getting nearer....

01micko

#69 Post by 01micko »

re pinstall.sh dillemma:

I have made a habit of building all pinstall.sh scripts woof compliant and still able to run if installed outside of woof.

here is an example pinstall.sh:

Code: Select all

if [ ! "`pwd`" = "/" ];then 

echo "doing something"

(do something to) ./usr/somefile

else 

(do something to) /usr/somefile

fi
Note the preceding DOT in the first part of the 'if' statement which executes in the current dir.

I guess this should become standard.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#70 Post by playdayz »

if [ ! "`pwd`" = "/" ];then

echo "doing something"

(do something to) ./usr/somefile

else

(do something to) /usr/somefile

fi

Note the preceding DOT in the first part of the 'if' statement which executes in the current dir.

I guess this should become standard.
Yes it should become standard. I will try to track that bad one down when I have time.

One person's pinstall.sh made changes to my regular system. I am sure anyone can imagine that freaked me out.

2byte

#71 Post by 2byte »

Suspect pinstall.sh scripts so far in /packages-lupu:

wmswitcher
zsynclient-wrapper
cups-fix
firstrun

pemasu

#72 Post by pemasu »

Firstrun pinstall.sh seems to be unfixed. It was discussed during 520 development and 01micko posted working version in the thread during that time. I have used that version since then.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 768#478768

and the fixed version: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 794#478794

playdayz

#73 Post by playdayz »

pemasu and 2byte,

Wow, talk about great minds running in the same channels. I just deleted the pinstall.sh in /packages-lupu/firstrun and built and it seems OK. Those other are still suspect. We will catch them in V2.

Iguleder

#74 Post by Iguleder »

Some automation in 3builddistro:

Replace this:

cp -f ../Packages-puppy-quirky-official rootfs-complete/root/.packages/
with this:

cp -f ../Packages-*-*-official rootfs-complete/root/.packages/
This will copy ALL package lists and not just the Quirky one. You'll have only the package lists relevant to Lupu in EZ-Woof anyway, so it's just fine to use wildcards.

Insert this:

echo "Removing extra documentation"
for i in sandbox3/rootfs-complete/usr/share/doc/*; do
	if [ -d $i ]; then
		keep=0
		for j in sylpheed-doc pmusic pburn pbackup cups help legal; do
			case `basename $i` in
				$j)
					keep=1
					break 1
					;;
			esac
		done
		[ $keep -eq 0 ] && rm -rf $i
	fi
done
rm -rf sandbox3/rootfs-complete/usr/share/man/*
rm -rf sandbox3/rootfs-complete/usr/share/info/*
before this:

#run post-install script...
This will automatically trim the documentation we all hate :lol:

And this:

style \"user-font\" {
        font_name = \"DejaVu Sans 12\"
}

widget_class \"*\" style \"user-font\"

gtk-font-name=\"DejaVu Sans 12\"
after this:

include \"/usr/share/themes/${GTKTHEME}/gtk-2.0/gtkrc\"
This will set the default font to DejaVu Sans 12px, instead of nothing, which makes stuff fallback to Sans 9 or 10, whatever it was. Some apps, like Opera, read the GTK font and if it isn't specified they fallback to their own hardcoded font and that sucks.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

puppyluvr

#75 Post by puppyluvr »

Playdayz, I have an odd question...

While building my latest with woof, I wanted to include some stuff from debs..
So I installed the rest of dpkg...
Did dpkg-deb -x package directory....they unpacked fine...
I dumped them all, 7 of them, into one dir, and copied it into packages lupu...
Gave it an entry in `specs like the rest...
Built and tested my Pup...Everything else worked, but not the dock from the debs...Here is the WEIRD part....
On the top level, at /, are all 7 debs, AS DEBS.... :shock:
How in the heck did woof repackage them????
I clicked them and they installed fine...
Am I going nuts????
Im looking at them right now, and I am mystified....
Edit.. I just looked in sandbox3/rootfs-complete, and there they are, big as life!!!
Serious Mysterious.... :lol:
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

playdayz

#76 Post by playdayz »

Built and tested my Pup...Everything else worked, but not the dock from the debs...Here is the WEIRD part....
On the top level, at /, are all 7 debs, AS DEBS.... Shocked
How in the heck did woof repackage them????
I clicked them and they installed fine...
I bet you have figured it out by now. Sometimes I undeb some packages and then copy the whole folder into packages-lupu--including the debs I undebed. The packages in packages-lupu should have /usr, /root, /etc and the other appropriate directories. Anything not in a sub-directory such as /usr will install to /.

puppyluvr

#77 Post by puppyluvr »

OK, that part I understand..
What got me is that they were .deb`s again...packages not directories... :shock: Functional, installable .deb packages... I unpacked them...Woof repacked them... :shock:
I know it was something I did, as it hasnt happened since...
Just weird is all....

P.S. A great addition to EZWoof...
I put a break, a simple xmessage, before "mksquashfs" to allow a chance to edit before building the .sfs... Same for "mkisofs"...
Creates a little "tinkering time"... 8)
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

gcmartin

Packages in EZ-WOOF

#78 Post by gcmartin »

Don't know if this will help anyone else with package for PUPs, but some may find this of interest: GoNgetIT

Hope this helps

Ale

#79 Post by Ale »

What steps are necessary to change the default window manager on first boot up?
(Solved)

oldyeller

#80 Post by oldyeller »

Hello playdayz,

don't know if this thread is being watched or not. But I was wondering if you would be willing to do a ez-woof for lupu528.

oldyeller