Having trouble booting hard drive full installation of Wary

Booting, installing, newbie
Bruce B

#21 Post by Bruce B »

Marrea,

I appreciate your detailed replies.

I found it interesting how you implement the boot sectors.

I do the same thing, only I use Grub's chainloader command like this:

chainloader /msdos.bin

Bruce

~

Marrea

#22 Post by Marrea »

CatDude
Thank you very much indeed. I am pleased to report that I was successful with this. It works perfectly. :)

(Being so new to Puppy I am still having some difficulty knowing where to look for files like this. :roll:)

Marrea

#23 Post by Marrea »

Bruce B wrote: I found it interesting how you implement the boot sectors.

I do the same thing, only I use Grub's chainloader command like this:

chainloader /msdos.bin
Booting is a fascinating subject in its own right, isn't it? All these different methods that people use. I suppose there is a tendency to find one which works and stick to it, a bit like I have done, but I have tried to get my head round Grub 2 and understand it better because that seems to be the way forward now.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#24 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Marrea wrote: CatDude
Thank you very much indeed. I am pleased to report that I was successful with this. It works perfectly. :)
Excellent.

I tried CatDude's pet last night but it didn't work for me. NVidia-settings doesn't do anything chosen from the menu and gives a segmentation fault run from a terminal. Nvidia-xconfig writes a brand new pristine xconfig file with no settings. Restarting or rebooting doesn't help -- still no nvidia. If I choose nvidia in xorgwizard then X won't start.

I use 173.14.28 in PCLOS, 173.14.20 in Puppy 431 and 173.14.25 in Lucid 520 so 173 is the right driver for my card. (In XP I use 175.19 that has far more options than any nVidia Linux driver.) Oddly the only nVidia driver that works in Wary for me is 71.86.14 and it shouldn't work at all. See attachment.

I’ve added over a hundred pet, deb and rpm packages to Wary and made over 300 tweaks. The result is a Wary unlike anyone else’s (obviously). What works for others rarely works for me but I’ve invested well over a hundred hours making those tweaks and I don’t want to lose them. A Puppy with only a few modifications creates conflicts that it can’t handle or even report. With something like this where my version of Wary can’t handle what everyone else’s can, I have no idea where to begin to look for a conflict. CatDude’s pet does work for me in a new install of Wary, but that’s no solution to anything. While Puppy supporters often point out how easily Puppy can be customized, they seldom point out that the inherent limitations of a customized version. I wish now I had started with Puppy 431 but I'm not going to spend hundreds of hours getting it to where I have Wary now. The moral of this story is don't make a lot of changes in Puppy until you're sure you want to use that version for a long, long time. My pupsave file that takes up only half of a 512MB space is not compatible backwards (to 431) or sideways (to Lucid 520-525) or forward (to Wary 511) so don't believe the sermons about how easy Puppy is to update.
Attachments
nvidia_setup_153.jpg
(175.76 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

#25 Post by 106498 »

Marrea wrote:Booting is a fascinating subject in its own right, isn't it? All these different methods that people use. I suppose there is a tendency to find one which works and stick to it, a bit like I have done, but I have tried to get my head round Grub 2 and understand it better because that seems to be the way forward now.
Not for puppy it isn't! Grub4dos seems to be a continuation of the "old" grub, with some more modern features. Grub2 relies on a "host" operating system to maintain the beast. You can't edit the menu.lst file directly, it will be overwritten the next time you boot the "host" system. That would mean I would have to boot into Ubuntu every time I wanted to install a new puppy frugally. And If I deleted Ubuntu I'd have to re-install. Just because it's new and Ubuntu likes it doesn't mean we have to like / use it!!
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!