How do I remove the save2flash icon on the desktop [solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
ChemistRowley

How do I remove the save2flash icon on the desktop [solved]

#1 Post by ChemistRowley »

Hello, and thanks to all those who spend time answering beginner questions. I'm configuring Puppy Linux 5.2.5 to be as absolutely simple as possible for my computer-wary grandpa to use for email, etc. I've removed anything whatsoever he could click on except a shutdown icon and default browser icon on the desktop. Each time I boot, though, a save2flash icon is automatically generated on the desktop. Is there an easy way to prevent this icon from appearing every time I boot.

Here are my system details:
Kernel: Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)
distro: 5.2.5 (although in my system information summary it says 0.52. . ?)
cpu: 2x Intel Atom (1.6 GHz)
Computer: Lenovo Ideapad
RAM: 1 gB
USB Drive: I used the combo formatting option (hard/zip/floppy chameleon), as USB HDD seemed to not work, then installed to that usb using the universal installer.
Save file: ext3 (because he often experiences power outages. . . documentation I found seemed to indicate that ext3 was more robust against these)

Please let me know if you need any other information about my system, and any help with this question is appreciated.
Last edited by ChemistRowley on Tue 03 May 2011, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

pa_mcclamrock

#2 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

If your grandpa often gets power outages, you might do better to suggest that he should click the save2flash icon every now and then, rather than try to get rid of it. What if he thinks he's saved some important data, then there's a power outage, and it turns out the data wasn't yet saved to the flash drive?
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

ChemistRowley

#3 Post by ChemistRowley »

Thank-you pa penguin for your quick response. If leaving the icon is the only practical option, then it really isn't a problem. He doesn't even use his computer for word processing, though, so I don't think he'll actually have any need to ever save. He really only needs an Internet connection.
I guess I just liked the absolute minimalism of only two icons (browser and shutdown, with no menu or trays except a clock) and no way he can get confused or mess things up.

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

To remove that pesky icon (from the roxpin), edit it out (delete lines pertaining to the icon) of the /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin file. Also any PuppyPin.BAK or whatever backups may be there. It may persist across a reboot or two (rinse and repeat if so). But as Pa mentions, it can be handy for an on-demand save (especially if the time-interval'd 'autosave' is set to "0" rather than the default "30" - see menu->system->eventmanager,sessiontab). Almost everyone has need of saving some personal files.

It all depends on Grampa's comfort level and what he expects, some folks thrive on interesting puppy-puzzles and having a measure of control (others not so much.. an internet appliance that 'just works' in a reasonably safe manner is okay for many).

hth and Welcome to the plmf :)

|edit - 'setup' category changed to 'system' (menu-path)|
Last edited by `f00 on Fri 06 May 2011, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

MochiMoppel

#5 Post by MochiMoppel »

`f00 wrote:To remove that pesky icon (from the roxpin), edit it out
This will probably not work since Puppy will create the entries again during next boot-up.
The save2flash icon is put on the desktop by the script /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Find the comment line "#save button on desktop when booted from flash drive..." (near the end of the script) and comment out the following if...fi statement.

Regarding the save or no save discussion: The OP didn't elaborate if only the save icon should be removed from the desktop or if saving should be disbled altogether. In the latter case the saving interval should be set to 0 and the saving during shutdown should be prevented (e.g. by editing the rc.shutdown script). In the latter case such kiosk mode could add to the peace of mind of the user (and the admin!), since he doesn't need to worry about "breaking" anything. Probably the only data that should be allowed to be saved are bookmarks, so they should be saved outside of the pupsave file.

ChemistRowley

#6 Post by ChemistRowley »

That is just what I wanted. I think I'll leave it to autosave interval at 30, but I'm happy to be rid of the icon. This way things run in the background to save his personal files but he doesn't have to worry or even know about it.
Thanks!