Acer Aspire One D255E - continuing problems with card reader

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
myke

Re; bounds.h missing

#21 Post by myke »

Dawnsboy, my buddy (who dislikes Puppy intensely for some reason) told me that probably someone had run a 'make clean' on the kernel sources and that had deleted the 'bounds.h' file. You are supposed to copy bounds.h to a temp folder, run 'make clean' on the kernel sources and then copy the bounds.h back before proceeding further.

That's all he would say.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

rcrsn51

Re: Re; bounds.h missing

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

myke wrote:Dawnsboy, my buddy (who dislikes Puppy intensely for some reason) told me that probably someone had run a 'make clean' on the kernel sources and that had deleted the 'bounds.h' file. You are supposed to copy bounds.h to a temp folder, run 'make clean' on the kernel sources and then copy the bounds.h back before proceeding further.
IIRC, 'make prepare' will get you the same thing. Run it from /usr/src/linux .

dawnsboy

#23 Post by dawnsboy »

myke wrote:
Dawnsboy, my buddy (who dislikes Puppy intensely for some reason) told me that probably someone had run a 'make clean' on the kernel sources and that had deleted the 'bounds.h' file. You are supposed to copy bounds.h to a temp folder, run 'make clean' on the kernel sources and then copy the bounds.h back before proceeding further.
I appreciate the tip. It was good of your friend to help out. The bounds.h file is missing from the kernel sources

rcrsn51 wrote:
IIRC, 'make prepare' will get you the same thing. Run it from /usr/src/linux .
Running this command on that directory does produce a response. However running initial "make" command on the keucr source folder yields the same result as listed above.

To this point I have been successful in building this module from the source package on several operating systems. Most are various derivatives of Ubuntu. And of course I was successful doing the same with spup-100. The thing that all of these operating systems have in common is that they have kernel version 2.6.34 or newer.

Puppy Linux 5.25 (Lucid) uses kernel 2.6.33.2. I have also failed to build the module on Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox which uses kernel 2.6.32-22.

sigh...

Back to the drawing board.

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

dawnsboy

#25 Post by dawnsboy »

pemasu wrote:
Thank you for posting that link. It does contain the elusive bounds.h file that was missing from the kernel source package downloaded from bkhome. However I am still unable to build the module. Here is what I get in response to the initial "make" instruction:
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2'
LD /root/my-documents/keucr/built-in.o
CC [M] /root/my-documents/keucr/usb.o
/root/my-documents/keucr/usb.c: In function 'associate_dev':
/root/my-documents/keucr/usb.c:211: error: implicit declaration of function 'usb_alloc_coherent'
/root/my-documents/keucr/usb.c:211: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/root/my-documents/keucr/usb.c:218: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/root/my-documents/keucr/usb.c: In function 'dissociate_dev':
/root/my-documents/keucr/usb.c:414: error: implicit declaration of function 'usb_free_coherent'
make[1]: *** [/root/my-documents/keucr/usb.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/root/my-documents/keucr] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2'
These results have fewer lines than the previous post that I made regarding the failure of the "make" command to produce the desired results. However these lines do appear in that previous post. So it seems having the bounds.h file in the kernel source does make a difference but the module still fails to build in this environment.

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

dawnsboy

#27 Post by dawnsboy »

@pemasu

http://www.mail-archive.com/registry@li ... 28399.html

Thanks for the link. That is consistent with my personal experience. I did succesfully build the module on spup-100 with the 2.6.34 kernel but everything older than that was a no go regardless of the operating system.

I had the same result when trying to build the module on a 10.04 LTS derivative.

myke

Older Source for Debian Squeeze

#28 Post by myke »

Dawnsboy, I did some googling and I came across another, older source for the keucr module.

This one is supposed to have been used for Debian Squeeze (2.6.32) so hopefully it should work with lupu 525.

myke

dawnsboy

#29 Post by dawnsboy »

Interesting. I will find out and let you know.

dawnsboy

Alright here it is

#30 Post by dawnsboy »

I have built a module for the ENE Card Reader found on some Acer Aspire One netbooks for Puppy Linux (Lucid) 5.25. I compiled and tested the module, created the pet package then formatted the hard drive of my Acer Aspire One AOD255-2301 netbook, performed a fresh install of the operating system, installed the newly created pet package and it worked just fine. So I am posting it here.

I did not have to reboot after installing this package. I simply inserted an SD card into the reader and it was detected. If your card is not detected after installing this package try rebooting the system. Thanks to myke, pemasu and rcrsn51 for helping identify an issue with the kernel source, providing a link to a useable kernel source and other information.
Attachments
keucr_2.6.33.2-lupu525.pet
ENE Card Reader module for official Puppy Linux 5.25 Lucid
(29.16 KiB) Downloaded 985 times

myke

Thank you very much

#31 Post by myke »

Dawnsboy, Success! It worked. I would like to thank you very much for persevering in compiling this module. Between the two sources, the tools are now available to compile and use this module for kernels up to 2.6.38.

Once again, the Puppy Community (in particular, dawnsboy, pesamu, jamesbond and jemimah) have come through in helping a user!

Thanks again,

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

dawnsboy

#32 Post by dawnsboy »

Dawnsboy, Success! It worked. I would like to thank you very much for persevering in compiling this module. Between the two sources, the tools are now available to compile and use this module for kernels up to 2.6.38.

Once again, the Puppy Community (in particular, dawnsboy, pesamu, jamesbond and jemimah) have come through in helping a user!

Thanks again,

myke
You are welcome.

GatorDog

Re: Alright here it is

#33 Post by GatorDog »

dawnsboy wrote:I have built a module for the ENE Card Reader found on
some Acer Aspire One netbooks for Puppy Linux (Lucid) 5.25. ...

I did not have to reboot after installing this package.
I simply inserted an SD card into the reader and it was detected...
Thank you, worked immediately after install.

rod

dawnsboy

#34 Post by dawnsboy »

I am glad that it worked. Thanks for the feedback.

capoverde

#35 Post by capoverde »

Just installed keucr_2.6.33.2-lupu525.pet on an MSI U135 netbook running LuPu-525 booted from a USB flash card, actually an SD card in a USB reader.
Works perfectly, thanks a lot Dawnsboy!

Will also install it on a triple-boot Aspire One D255 (SPup-100, LuPu-525, Win7) on which the SPup-100 version is already installed & working.

dawnsboy

#36 Post by dawnsboy »

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad it worked for you.

nederfox

#37 Post by nederfox »

Good work to get the JMicron cardreader working! Although only SD cards are mounted, unfortunately not xD nor Sony Memory Stick :(
I found a possible solution and driver source to fix it for xD/MS cards. I'm a n00b in buiding new PETs. Anybody here who can build it for Lupu 525?

Edit: zipfile password=123

tempestuous

#38 Post by tempestuous »

jmb38x_xd driver, plus upgraded jmb38x_ms driver, for Puppy 5.1 - 5.2.8 (Lucid) now posted here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 015#564015

nederfox

#39 Post by nederfox »

thanks a lot tempestuous!
Pmount can't mount a MS. In my case it shows up as 'mspblk0p1' I added a line to /etc/fstab to have a quick workaround:

Code: Select all

/dev/mspblk0p1 /mnt/mspblk0p1 vfat rw,exec 0 0
and make a desktop shortcut to /mnt/mspblk0p1

Wes Medlin

#40 Post by Wes Medlin »

Just for the record, Three Headed Dog is based on a later kernel, and it works just fine with the card reader in the Acer Aspire One. But I'm glad to find the pet for Lupu 5.25.