EZ-Woof-525 - The Lucid 5.2.5 Build Environment

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tasmod

#21 Post by tasmod »

OK, discovered the problem regarding closing jwm. The shutdown and reboot scripts call 'kill $currentwm' which is /etc/windowmanager however that's been changed back in the build to 'openbox' so it errors out.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

playdayz

#22 Post by playdayz »

This is an easy experiment with EZ-Woof, that actually might be an improvement on 5.2.5. At least it works for me--though I didn't have any particular problems--it will probably cause more problems than it cures. ;-)

1. Download the tarball alsa-all-1.0.24.tgz and extract it into /packages-lupu.
2. Open and edit DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid and add the first line below and change the yes to no in the three lines below that.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/alsa-all-1.0.24.tgz

Code: Select all

yes|alsa-all||exe
no|alsa-lib|libasound2,libasound2-dev,libasound2-plugins|exe,dev,doc,nls
no|alsa-base|alsa-base|exe,dev,doc,nls
no|alsa-utils|alsa-utils|exe,dev,doc,nls
Alsa-all contains all of the alsa files from alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-base, libasound, and libasound-plugins, except they are the later 1.0.24 version.

After steps 1 and 2, follow the instructions in the first message to Build.

gcmartin

Updates for Lucid 5.2.5 in EZ-Woof-525?

#23 Post by gcmartin »

Are the current update fixes in EZ-WOOF525?
Or will they have to be installed separately?

Thanks in advance.

playdayz

#24 Post by playdayz »

Are the current update fixes in EZ-WOOF525?
Or will they have to be installed separately?
EZ-Woof 5.2.5 builds exactly the original release--so the Instant Update will need to be installed separately.

turf

#25 Post by turf »

after building the distro, which report can i find out which software arent successfully built within it?

2byte

#26 Post by 2byte »

Thanks very much for this. I have shied away from using woof for some reason and this is a good way to get my feet wet with it. I intend to play with this a lot :)
playdayz wrote:EZ-Woof 5.2.5 builds exactly the original release
Not exactly. Some things are broken. For example: the firewall desktop calls rxvt and there is no rxvt. The default text editor is beaver and there is no beaver. At least they are not in the path. It sort of gives a person a tiny, tiny glimpse into the life of the DEVs :)

puppyluvr

#27 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
OK, Ive D/L this 3 times, and every time all I get is the packages-lupu directory...aside from a few "package-distro-specs" etc files...
No WOOF...Am I missing something?????
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

playdayz

#28 Post by playdayz »

OK, Ive D/L this 3 times, and every time all I get is the packages-lupu directory...aside from a few "package-distro-specs" etc files...
No WOOF...Am I missing something?????
This is right puppyluvr, when you extract the download you should get a folder named EZ-Woof-525. Inside is the full packages-lupu directory, a number of DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS files, and at the bottom woof. You should be able to click woof and follow the instructions in the first message. Are you using the command line method to extract tar -xvf EZ-Woof-525.tgz?

Perhaps check the md5sum of the file you have downloaded--the one that should be is in the first message of this thread.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 01 May 2011, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#29 Post by playdayz »

EZ-Woof 5.2.5 builds exactly the original release
Not exactly. Some things are broken. For example: the firewall desktop calls rxvt and there is no rxvt. The default text editor is beaver and there is no beaver. At least they are not in the path. It sort of gives a person a tiny, tiny glimpse into the life of the DEVs Smile
Thanks for that ;-) I will check on the details you mention. At least the goal is to build the exact Lucid 5.2.5, so I will stay after it...

stu90

#30 Post by stu90 »

Hi Playdayz and thank you for sharing your build tool.
I have tried using EZ-woof a couple of times now adding pemasu lupe-17 kernel - i keep running into the same problem, no audio or retrovol in tray and alsa sound wizard doesn't fix it.

What is the correct procedure to use in the kernel tab - i have the two tick boxes checked to remove exotic drivers, should these be left in?

Copied all the steps in post one - only thing different is i deleted all docs - and changed the default wallpaper / themes in the GUI ( these worked).

pemasu

#31 Post by pemasu »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 017#517017

That post might help. Not sure with lupe17. I havent tested with it, but that alsamixer fix worked with previous 2.6.38.2 kernel version. Lupe17 is newer 2.6.38.4 but probably the different /dev sound device location is the problem with that kernel also.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 01 May 2011, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#32 Post by puppyluvr »

Leave it to me to forget to check the md5sum... :oops:
Re-downloading... 8)

@EDIT:
I have D/L it twice more...
Each time I get a 411mb tarball, not 431mb as stated, and of course the md5sums dont match....
Weird thing is the 411mb tarballs matched md5`s thru 2 D/L`s, they were both the exact same thing...
What am I missing here???
Will try yet again, as I want this bad..LOL...
Jay...
@RE-EDIT...I give up...
Tried again, and as you can see, 411mb...

Will try wget and be back...(OK. so I didnt give up!) 8)
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

puppyluvr, I will start checking on this in a hour or so. I am wokring on Audacious 2.5.0 right now. One or two people have reported problems with the diddywahdiddy server--I will check that and put it on another server--but that will take a couple of hours. Sorry about the problem. Once it works it will be woof_gui that starts the process. I think you will enjoy playing with it once we get it right.

puppyluvr

#34 Post by puppyluvr »

Here is wget...
I saw 431003759 bytes and thought there it goes...but alas, that is still 411mb..Will let it finish and md5sum it anyhow...
Jay..

Oh, and bones wants a url to D/L Woof from..
Do you know a direct link for the Woof scripts, I cant seem to find one, and have not used Woof since before bones was involved......
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

playdayz

#35 Post by playdayz »

Oh, and bones wants a url to D/L Woof from..
Do you know a direct link for the Woof scripts, I cant seem to find one, and have not used Woof since before bones was involved......
The parts of Woof that you need are all included in EZ-Woof-525. Nothing else needs to be downloaded.

puppyluvr

#36 Post by puppyluvr »

The parts of Woof that you need are all included in EZ-Woof-525.
I know, but am trying to D/L woof for other reasons...And I found the url in BK`s blog... 8)
Plus, when wget finishes, if the woof scripts are still missing, I will have them elsewhere....

What I`m doing is woofing 525 with the 2.6.38.2 kernel and some other stuff...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

playdayz

#37 Post by playdayz »

I know, but am trying to D/L woof for other reasons...And I found the url in BK`s blog... Cool
Plus, when wget finishes, if the woof scripts are still missing, I will have them elsewhere....
I got it, I just wanted to make sure you knew the difference between Woof and EZ-Woof-525. I wouldn't recommend trying to mix them, not at all ;-)

First, The download indicator does show 411MB, so that is OK. Second, I downloaded and got the same md5sum.

After confirming the md5sum, open a terminal in the folder that contains EZ-Woof-525 and extract. Right-click -> Window -> Terminal Here. Please do this instead of trying to use the Xarchive gui.

Code: Select all

tar -xvf EZ-Woof-525.tgz
Then you will see

Upon opening the EZ-Woof-525 folder you will see

Click woof_gui to start and you will see the picture below. EZ-Woof-525 *only* uses the Specifications, Kernel and Build tabs.

Upon clicking the Kernel tab you will see the picture below. If you want to use a different kernel, all you need to do is to drag the kernel.pet into /packages-pet before you start woof-gui and it will show up under the Kernel tab.

After choosing a kernel, click Build--there are some more instructions in the first message in this thread.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 01 May 2011, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.

puppyluvr

#38 Post by puppyluvr »

Am wgetting it ATM..
Before, when I untarred it, all I got was the "packages-lupu" dir and the 3 package scripts.. No woof gui, no sandbox etc...
And yes, I almost always untar via the cli anyhow....
(Xarchive quite often freezes up with files bigger than 200 mb or so...)
Will get back when wget is done... 8)
Last edited by puppyluvr on Sun 01 May 2011, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#39 Post by playdayz »

Before, when I untarred it, all I got was the "packages-lupu" dir and the 3 package scripts.. No woof gui, no sandbox etc...
Weird. Are you sure you have enough space? The EZ-Woof-525 folder takes 1.1GB. You might use /mnt/home or any other disk with at least 2GB of free space.

playdayz

#40 Post by playdayz »

I have tried using EZ-woof a couple of times now adding pemasu lupe-17 kernel - i keep running into the same problem, no audio or retrovol in tray and alsa sound wizard doesn't fix it.
Same when I have tried.
What is the correct procedure to use in the kernel tab - i have the two tick boxes checked to remove exotic drivers, should these be left in?
You can experiment. The picture above shows the way it is done for Lucid 5.2.5.