EZ-Woof-525 - The Lucid 5.2.5 Build Environment

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

EZ-Woof-525 - The Lucid 5.2.5 Build Environment

#1 Post by playdayz »

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/EZ-Woof-525.tgz
62cacbc8adc251a994ccfaf86c764e2b

This is the exact build environment for Lucid Puppy 5.2.5. It builds the lupu-525.iso and the devx_lupu_525.sfs. The build takes about 10 minutes.

Errata: 2byte figured out that it may only work correctly in Lucid 5.2 or 5.2.5. It seems to correct the problem to delete /packages-lupu/firstrun/pinstall.sh.

The only thing to download is EZ-Woof-525.tgz, which is about 431MB. There is nothing else to download and no packages to build--that has already been done. I have found that EZ-Woof is great for experimentation--I just built Lucid 5.2.5 with alsa 1.0.24.

Quick Start: 1) Download EZ-Woof-525.tgz to a disk with at least 2GBs free space, and then 2) open a terminal in that disk and run ‘tar -xvf EZ-Woof-525.tgz’. Don’t try to unpack it with Xarchive--it never finishes. 3) Open the folder and run woof_gui Choose the Kernel tab and use ‘linux_kernel-2.6.33.2-tickless_smp_patched-L3‘. Then choose the Build tab and you are on your way. It wouldn’t hurt to read the rest of this though.

Explanation. The reason for EZ-Woof is that Lucid Puppy 5.2 and 5.2.5 made use of many packages that were not a part of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04. The easiest way to deal with those packages was to undeb or unpet them, and then move them directly into /packages-lupu, replacing the folder that was there. For instance, to update pmusic, I would download the latest pmusic pet, change the extension to tgz, unpack it, and then move the folder into /packages-lupu, deleting or renaming the pmusic folder that was already there, and changing the folder name to simply pmusic (rather than pmusic-1.1.6, etc.). You can do this also, of course. Be warned that some packages such as ffmpeg, could get pretty hairy.

The other main thing you must know is that the “recipe
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 07 May 2011, 16:17, edited 5 times in total.

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

my, you have been busy, thought you were having a month off :wink: .

your point 2/ explains something i've been wondering about, I can now take it off my questions list and put it in my fixes list,

and point 4/ may explain the size problem between what I had expected and was getting.

And as a comment to others who want to try to build "their own puppy", have a go, woof is fun when you work out it's bits.

regards
scsijon

gcmartin

Kernel for Puppy

#3 Post by gcmartin »

@Everyone

One forum member has voluntarily taken a GIANT step forward. And, it looks like he could use a little of our help.

He has built, compiled, tested, and has now moved beyond the concept phase into the "practical use" phase. His implementation is very note-worthy as it is aimed at the very PCs that PUPPY (Not WARY or QUIRKY) is published to be used on. And, it appears his implementation is, in fact, a PUPPY 5.25. but, it addresses ALL RAM size PCs.

If anyone has a moment, please take a look at thiis and provide him with any feedback. Everything he is doing is same for what is done for the things we did for PUPPY 5.25, except, he is providing one-significant and useful advancement that we should take note of.

Anything we do in review or help is the very same thing(s) we are going to be doing, with the very next PUPPY, here.

His efforts are here!
Hope this helps.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Thanks guys :)

When I created Lucid Tmxxine it was to see how remastering would work
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 573#510573

Frankly it did not. :oops:
Larrys new code above might make others efforts more viable.
Great potential. Many thanks Larry..

Snowpuppy is an excellent Puppy version and again is vastly better than my two days remaster. Simply because of efforts to improve and get working the components. I used it for about a week and also chatted with pemasu on IRC. A good guy. The new experimental Ice version is certainly worth providing feedback as suggested. Pemasu is to be congratulated

Puppy thrives on experimentation, feedback and new ideas.
No matter how crude or faulty our feedback, we can all test

Just remember what something like EZ-Woof-525 gives you.
An operating system. For you. Customised to your needs and specs..
Such fun. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

I love Snowpup and use it 24/7 but sadly the new Ice are based on teh latest kernel and that one seems to be more demanding on the hardware.

CPU works more and the overall temperature seems to rise. But I know too little. I do support Pemasu's efforts though. Snowpup to me was a new era for my gears.

Back on topic. So had I had a normal brain and not this confused one then I would be able to make a puppy too :) Reading post one I realize it is still too difficult to me to keep all that in my head. But a good step forward indeed.

All such should be welcomed with open arms and big smile.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#6 Post by playdayz »

Larrys new code above might make others efforts more viable.
Great potential. Many thanks Larry..
Lobster, This is all Barry's Woof--just a subset of it, tailored to build an exact or variant copy of Lucid 5.2.5. The packages are already downloaded and built exactly as in Lucid 5.2.5, so all a person has to do to build Lucid 5.2.5 is start Woof, choose the kernel, and Build.

It seems useful for experimenting with different kernels too, because all one needs to do there is to put the new kernel.pet into packages-pets and then it will show up and be used when choosing the kernel.

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Playdayz. Downloading now. And thank you of sharing the info, how you recommend to tweak with woof. About the same prochedures as I have done. Not much to add. I have made my own tweaking script, so that the script do those changes from appropriate folders.
I execute the script after there has been gui to select the wallpaper etc...

I will test this with linux_kernel-2.6.38.2-lupe15.pet. It looks most promising so far.

Thank you Playdayz of ALL your work. Your guidance and templates and all woof info with your ubuntu base has made my Snow Puppy possible. Also it is the base for Ice Puppy also. Maybe this EZ prebuild woof platform will be the base for new kernel also.

playdayz

#8 Post by playdayz »

One more thing: zzLupu-Utilities

There is a folder named zzLupu_Utilities. it contains many of the customizations for Lucid Puppy. If you are using EZ-Woof to possibly make a derivative for public use, you probably should look through that folder and make sure you know what it in there. If you are getting wonky results and do not know why, you might also look in zzLupu_Utilities for the reason--for instance, a file of yours may be getting overwritten by something in there.

tasmod

#9 Post by tasmod »

I've been trying for a couple of days to remaster a working system with an additional menu category with entries.

No matter how I try I cannot get it to work as a live cd with my choices.

There seems to be some sort of problem,so I gave up for now.

I then tried downloading bones and woof but ended up with corrupted files :? after a marathon session i gave up.

I've since come across this excellent system and so far I've yet to achieve what I want, even though I modify the packages etc.

As suggested I started at basic and achieved a standard default iso which I burned to CD which worked perfect..

I then tried again adding my package after decompressing the pet. I altered the specs as explained.
I made other changes, in particular I wanted the default to be jwm. But no matter what I do I end up with a default iso again and openbox as wm.

Now, the odd thing is when I reach i810 as you suggest I look into the sandbox files and my stuff is there. I made changes to the windowmanager file to jwm etc but still I end up with a default iso with no changes or additions.

Am I missing something quite simple here ?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

playdayz

#10 Post by playdayz »

I then tried again adding my package after decompressing the pet. I altered the specs as explained.
I made other changes, in particular I wanted the default to be jwm. But no matter what I do I end up with a default iso again and openbox as wm.
Hey tasmod, EZ-Woof is basically for making something either identical or very close to Lucid 5.2.5. It sounds like you are probably successfully adding your programs.

Ah, go into the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid and put a no in front of openbox and fbpanel. I bet that might do it.

<Add>Yes. I tested and it worked for me--booted right up in jwm. That's the Woof way--change the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid and then rebuild, and rebuild, and rebuild ;-) As I recall there is some problem that I never bothered with that makes a conflict booting jwm first with openbox on the system--it is more than changing /etc/windowmanager..

So all you people who change first thing to jwm can make yourself a Lucid 5.2.5 that only has jwm!!! The reason for Openbox is that gnome-mplayer just did not work well with jwm, but that is all fixed now, basically thanks to ttuuxxx's gnome-mplayer 1.0.2 build.

That is one thing I like about EZ-Woof. I was able to test that in about 7 minutes ;-) And if I screw up the EZ-Woof I am using I can just unpack it again and be back to a pristine Lucid 5.2.5.

Plus, anyone could make an EZ-Woof for any Woof-based iso, Spup or Snow Pup (I think he uses Woof). Anyway, that would be a way to get more people experimenting on a release in development.

turf

#11 Post by turf »

should i see an /etc directory inside EZ-Woof-525 directory?

i did try running woof and as you said, my first attempt is just the default yet i got this error

Code: Select all

rm: cannot remove `./etc/init.d10alsa': No such file or directory
pinstall script however i think is executed well though.

and i also see alsa in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid
yes|alsa-lib|libasound2,libasound2-dev,libasound2-plugins|exe,dev,doc,nls

tasmod

#12 Post by tasmod »

OK, somehow, something is just not working for me.

Deleted everything and started again with fresh EZ-Woof.

No changes other than to change openbox and fbpanel to `no` in PKG specs.

Run build and when gui options window appears for theme and background I set my straightforward choices. light-blue background, polished blue theme.

At this point alongside the gui in the terminal window, error messages came up for gtkobject errors at each selection. (sorry, unable to copy them)

I continued and when build was finished I added 'build' iso to grub menu and rebooted using the 'build' iso.

Sadly, no joy. :(

Still a standard build with no changes made. Still openbox. When I checked etc there was openbox.windowmanager entry. Background was leaves, theme was same with no change.

Where on earth am I going wrong. I know I'm a bit slow on the uptake at the moment but this should be 'simples' for me.

Making any changes in the build files at the 'i810' point just doesn't seem to be reflected in the final build either.
Rob
-

pemasu

#13 Post by pemasu »

Tasmod. Woof building follows its straightforward logic, you can be sure of it. Something does not go according to that logic now.

Unbuilding is anyway easy. Delete everything from the sandbox folder. Everything. Remove from packages-lupu fbpanel and openbox folders. Then they are not included.
If you still get them in the new iso, then you surely are using wrong iso or files from another build.

playdayz

#14 Post by playdayz »

Still a standard build with no changes made. Still openbox. When I checked etc there was openbox.windowmanager entry. Background was leaves, theme was same with no change.

Where on earth am I going wrong. I know I'm a bit slow on the uptake at the moment but this should be 'simples' for me.

Making any changes in the build files at the 'i810' point just doesn't seem to be reflected in the final build either.
You might not have gotten the proper DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid

Code: Select all

no|fbpanel||exe,dev>null,doc,nls
no|openbox||exe,dev>null,doc,nls
Is it possible you have a lupusave file on that disk that the new build is picking up? Or have you copied a previous lupu-525.sfs to the hard disk to make for faster booting. You might go to the Specifications tab in Woof and change the number and/or the prefix--remember to Save.

I think pemasu might not understand that you are using EZ-Woof. It shouldn't be necessary to delete anything. The no in the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid will do it. But he is being extrememly safe ;-)

I made a test last night with the no to openbox and fbpanel--it booted fine to jwm, but when I went to Shutdown there was a problem--nothing happened. CTRL-Alt-Backspace fixed that.

At the i810 you make changes to the /rootfs-complete filesystem.

It really sounds like some other lupu-525.sfs or a lupusave is getting in the way.

No doubt this is is something simple that we are overlooking. When the process ends, the new files are in the /Build folder in /sandbox3 and the lupu-525.iso is in /sandbox3.

pemasu

#15 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. I understood it right. It was just an ultimate solution to not have some packages included. When you dont have them, you cant include them. If the booting puppy still have them, then......
I thought about your possible reasons also, but I was a bit vague in my post.
Not using the right specs or the booting process picks the previous same named sfs is both possible.

I have used and build one 525 build already, everything went as it should.
Because it is so easy to unpack the ez woof again, the removing of the created packages from the build is really one way to not include them.
./3builddistro script complains about those missing packages but wont affect to the outcome.

And thank you of bringing this ready made woof platform for everyone to test it, use it, play with it and at last, create something new that didnt exist before.......

turf

#16 Post by turf »

is it alright to build while on the frugal installed puppy invironment?

tasmod

#17 Post by tasmod »

Frugal is what I'm using.

Success :D but with same problem as you Larry, it won't shutdown.

Ah well at least I now have it working. :lol:

The secret? As you said re-name and re-number.

Something is interacting to stop 525 working, so as a test I did as you suggested and used 555 as a version and it worked.

Next step is to add my package and alterations and try again for my final iso.

Thanks for an excellent build variation on woof.
Rob
-

playdayz

#18 Post by playdayz »

is it alright to build while on the frugal installed puppy invironment?
Sure. You probably want to put EZ-Woof on /mnt/home because it takes 1GB--then the extra from the Build is 512MB tops. So you need a free 2GBs to be safe.

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

Success Very Happy but with same problem as you Larry, it won't shutdown.
I think if you do one CTRL-Alt-Backspace then it will be OK after that, but it shows how inter-related everything is in a distro--if you want to be fancy, it might help to take the openbox and fbpanel portions out of .xinitrc.

tasmod

#20 Post by tasmod »

I'll experiment a bit later. Right now I'm trying to finish the iso I want.

It's a vehicle ecu tuning software written for Linux. It's called Megatunix. I made a pet but I wanted to make a live cd version to publish in the megatunix sub-forum on the Megasquirt forum, so newbies can use it. Dave the author gets left out a bit. (That's an understatement)

Normally the tuning software of choice is megatune but that is for windows. There's a bit of bias against megatunix for being open source. The other software has changed to crippleware after a final beta version came out. It's written in java.
Now it's pay time if you want it's desirable features. However megatunix is just as good but windows users can't grasp Linux. By making a live cd iso I can at least educate a few, to both megatunix and puppy.

My own home built sports car uses Megasquirt so I use Megatunix to tune it.
The car details arehere if you're interested.
Rob
-