Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 06:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 102 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr 2011, 20:07    Post subject:  

RandSec wrote:
But OK, now how do you know that malware has not given you a malware save file? Presumably this flash is booting on a Windows machine with a hard drive, so how do you know?

By adding "pfix=ram" to my syslinux.cfg file. That's something else that you can test.

Or I could simply check the contents of the flash drive from Windows before booting it. But now we are into tin-foil hat territory.
sszindian

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr 2011, 21:56    Post subject: Some more knowledge  

Just as a thought about virus, maleware, trojan horses etc... the article at this website is a bit old however... its topic is:

How to write a virus for Linux in 5 easy steps...

Certainly interesting reading!!!!

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229

>>>---Indian------>
nooby

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 02:38    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
RandSec wrote:
But OK, now how do you know that malware has not given you a malware save file? Presumably this flash is booting on a Windows machine with a hard drive, so how do you know?

By adding "pfix=ram" to my syslinux.cfg file. That's something else that you can test.

Or I could simply check the contents of the flash drive from Windows before booting it. But now we are into tin-foil hat territory.

Rcrsn51 could I ask this:
What about us who are on frugal install on HDD and have grub4dos instead of USB syslinux booting?

And if one make the pupsave.3fs into a zl525332.sfs file instead does that help?

radky

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 11:20    Post subject:
Subject description: PupSnap-1.6 Screen Capture

PupSnap-1.6 (new version)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61361
PS-1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   31.32 KB
 Viewed   1712 Time(s)

PS-1.png

playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 12:32    Post subject:  

PupSnap 1.6 to Lupu PPM

Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM

-----------------------------------------------------------

In a few days or a week, I will look through this thread since the release of Lucid 5.2.5 and see if there are enough fixes or enhancements to make an Instant Update. The ffconvert front-end seems like a good thing to include.
RandSec

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 17:01    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
RandSec wrote:

Thank you for your insight; I certainly was unaware of those possibilities. But I think we have gotten off the path here: This is not about how I can force Puppy to work securely, but is instead about making Puppy "just work" securely, by default, for ordinary users. Currently, the default Puppy LiveDVD form mostly does things right, with a few remaining security issues, but many computers do not have DVD-writer drives.

Sadly, the default Puppy USB flash-boot form has a variety of security issues, mostly associated with having an easily-writable boot store. (Similar issues exist with external hard drives.) Fortunately, USB drives can be given decent security by being unplugged at an appropriate time as a physical write-protect. While even that simple property may require some Puppy redesign, the existing LiveDVD form already provides an excellent model to follow. (With current equipment I expect it would be IMPOSSIBLE to provide a secure internal hard-drive boot, no matter how much redesign or add-on security is provided.)

It may be possible to cover some flash-boot issues with careful user-interaction, but the suggested software processes probably would not be practical for me, let alone ordinary users. Browser and add-on updates, in particular, would be far more complex than the simple Save button currently used by the LiveDVD. "It just works securely" should be an appropriate user expectation, even with USB flash drives.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 17:42    Post subject:  

I just got done looking at an Apple I PAD2 at Best Buy.
I left it with the web browser loaded to the Puppy Linux org web site info page for Lucid Puppy 5.25.
Take that Apple! Very Happy
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 17:58    Post subject:  

playdayz,

There are two programs in Lucid Puppy 5.25 that do not work.
Bootflash
Xorg Video Wizard Monitor Gamma Calibration

Info is posted here in the Lucid Puppy 5.25 Bug topic.
A fix has been found for both programs.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=514867#514867
sszindian

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2011, 22:46    Post subject: A New Puppy!  

playdayz:

I see you're looking at the new 2.6.38 kernel and a possible new puppy idea that would reach beyond the present 525?

My thoughts: Ubuntu's new release (as I'm sure you know) will have some 'cloud features' in it... As I've been saying right along (with only a few interested) 'This Will Be The Future Of Computing' like it or not! So, why not look down that road for the next puppy?

Puppy... if it can be kept small like it is, and still be available with the standard packages for those without Internet access then... add the cloud features and their packages (there are tons of em coming on) for those with Internet access... I think you would have a win, win, program. I myself am running Joli OS 1.2 (jolicloud) as my main OS and it is very, very nice. My 170+ HD is only using about 5GB and that is mostly because I have a ton of 'Local Apps & Graphics' on it (Joli OS lets you do BOTH, cloud plus Local Apps.) a small older computer with a puppy OS should do super with a Puppy-Cloud system. Dropbox offers 2GB of free cloud-storage space and they have another that offers 25GB free cloud-storage which should take care of most needs a Puppy user will encounter. The system is updated whenever it needs it with nothing to do on my part, cloud programs are updated the same way, you just USE your computer to do what you want without worrying about anything... cloud takes care of it all. I have used nothing but Puppy for over a year 'until' I tried the Joli OS... to be very honest, it would take a super little Cloud Puppy to make me change back to a full-timer Puppy'er again!

Now... on the 2.6.38 kernel, I downloaded it from China (the 2.6.38.3-2 version) based on the 525 puppy build... I can say, everything works that I tried except one thing (that I found anyway) and that is... I lost my webcam after finally getting it working with your Official 525. I'm sure that would not be a big problem to fix but anyway, that kernel does work fine with puppy. Although some disagree... I do find it a bit SLOWER when accessing local apps, but no difference when on the Internet. All in all I believe it is a good solid kernel and should take puppy down the road a bit further... some serious testing on a new package will determine that.

Whatever avenue you take I wish you luck (same as I did 01micko and his upcoming Slackware venture) but... if Puppy continues the same way it has in the past... 'I really believe it's barking up the wrong tree!'

>>>---Indian------>
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:46    Post subject:  

playdayz,

A program for the Lupu PPM.

Menu Entry Maker 1.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64969

Has option to make a menu entry and remove a menu entry.
menumaker.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   45.94 KB
 Viewed   1373 Time(s)

menumaker.jpg

playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr 2011, 13:51    Post subject:  

Good. Thanks for the bug reports Bigpup. That helps a lot. It looks like a go then for an Instant Update.

Did I mention that vlc-1.1.7 is in PPM? It is. But I forgot and I have been working on trying to get 1.1.9 to work--but there is something wonky about going back and forth to full screen. vlc-1.1.7 seems to work OK though.

sszindian. No. I will not be coordinating the testing of any more releases of Lucid Puppy. But I see that someone could make a cool derivative by getting Lucid to run with a more advanced kernel. EZ-Woof is an easy way to swap kernels I think, but I have not had luck with my sound working with 2.6.38.2.
sszindian

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr 2011, 14:43    Post subject: Sound  

playdayz wrote:
but I have not had luck with my sound working with 2.6.38.2.

I could not get sound on the 38-2 either so I downloaded the 2.6.3.3-2 version and was able to get sound... had to go into the setup and click the little boxes on BOTH the volumns that alsa had set up to get it though...

>>>---Indian------>
scsijon

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr 2011, 20:37    Post subject:  

wuxiandianzi is creating a 525 based with 2.6.38.3 if anyone is interested in it or helping him, he's done quite a lot of fixes already and may be of use. His thread is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66528

regards
scsijon
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr 2011, 10:00    Post subject:  

Playdayz,

From problems with Broadcom wireless controlers:
tempestuous wrote:
the opensource b43 wifi driver is somewhat unreliable, especially with wifi devices found in Dell/HP laptops.
For these you need the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver. See here -
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=421596#421596
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr 2011, 13:24    Post subject:  

Thank you Playdayz of your EZ woof platform for Lucid 525. My first experience with it, with kernel 2.6.38.2-lupe15.

It works. /etc/init.d/alsa needs to be removed and run wuxiandianzi sound device script. You need to run it before testing alsamixer. If you run the script and then if you run /etc/init.d/alsa you get black freezed screen. At least I got, lol. If you dont run the script, alsamixer just dont work. So removing the alsa script with running the attached script made alsamixer functional and sound also responded to the adjustments.

I renamed it to more memorable name. I installed it to the same place and then I run it. Sound and alsamixer works. Alsaconf does not find soundcards, but alsamixer finds them alright.
I dont know if the script needs to run every bootup because I run in first boot.

But the wuxiandianzi script is attached. Remove the .gz. It is plain script, .gz is just because of the attached file requirements in this forum.

Powerapplet_tray does not work with that kernel. I replaced it with Vattery. Gatotray show cpu temp alright. Ibam inside Vattery package and Gatotray were compiled in puppy with same kernel.

It is useful to install from ppm lm-sensors, libsensors4 and makedev also, then you can install xsensors from ppm also to get another cpu temp application. All those are included to attached sensors pet.

Well...I just noticed that there was discussion about kernel switching. I just wanted to give my 2 cents. And those instructions and pets will probably be useful with wuxiandianzi kernels also.
sensors-0.0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  sensors-0.0.1.pet 
Filesize  104.17 KB 
Downloaded  133 Time(s) 
gatotray-2.0.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gatotray-2.0.pet 
Filesize  11.06 KB 
Downloaded  140 Time(s) 
Vattery-0.0.2.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  Vattery-0.0.2.pet 
Filesize  101.6 KB 
Downloaded  125 Time(s) 
alsamixer_fix.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  alsamixer_fix.gz 
Filesize  519 Bytes 
Downloaded  133 Time(s) 

Last edited by pemasu on Mon 25 Apr 2011, 18:03; edited 5 times in total
Page 102 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: