Mouse Pointer Problem (it clicks everything constantly)

Booting, installing, newbie
Puppy_Zee

Mouse Pointer Problem (it clicks everything constantly)

#1 Post by Puppy_Zee »

Hello,

I have just recently installed (Lucid) Puppy Linux. I went for the frugal install.

Its my first time with Linux, it went pretty well, I got it connected to wireless and my epson printer/scanner easily enough.

I am now having problems with the pointer - it moves very sluggishly and if I move it over anything (icons) it clicks them automatically. (If I move over the word icon - it opens half a dozen new word documents in the time it takes me to move across the icon).

Sometimes rebooting fixes this problem - sometimes it doesnt.

Sometimes it starts ok - but will start up again later.

I tried running pupply linux from the live cd (as it seemed to work ok at first but I have only noticed it more recently) this made no difference.
It sounds as if the left click button has been jammed down - but as far as I can tell this is not the case.

This is on an old dell (inspiron 1300) laptop.

Any ideas?

Also I cant find how to access the "start" menu using the keyboard only.

Many thanks for any replies.

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Flsynclient is in the menu for adjusting touchpad, etc.

I use a little usb mouse on my 700m Dell.

Right click on background will open menu.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Try menu->setup->mouse/keyboard wizard.
Check settings for mouse.

Puppy_Zee

#4 Post by Puppy_Zee »

Thanks for those, didnt realise the menu was accessible by right clicking - thats quite nice.

Tried reinstalling puppy - made no difference, think it may possibly be hardware related - dont have any way to verify it right now though.

It is absolutely infuriating though - have decided to just pack it in.

Edit bought a usb mouse and that works fine, so it was presumably just a hardware issue. In the meantime though I have quite badly messed up my system - expect a question on partitioning in the next few days.

Valinote

#5 Post by Valinote »

I have the same annoying problem with the touchpad tap on my laptop. Is there a config file that can be modified so that I don't have to run FlSynClient and select/save the Touchpad Mode to "Tap Off" every time I reboot the computer?

-Steve D

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Pemasu has a pet to disable touchpads here.

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

This sounds like the 'clickfinger' bug and is dead easy to fix if it is. Just open the file /root/.flsynclient in a text editor by clicking on it, (it is a 'hidden' file, so set your filemanager to show hidden files), and look for the line that starts 'ClickFinger3 = ' Change the value to 'ClickFinger3 = 1'
Save, exit, re-boot. Hopefully, that will fix it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Valinote

#8 Post by Valinote »

Thanks for the quick response, guys.

Pemasu, since this is a laptop, and I don't want to have to use an external mouse. Therefore, I don't want to disable the touchpad. I just would like to turn off the ability to tap on the touchpad to emulate a left-click on a mouse.

DaveS, Clickfinger3 was already set to a value of one. And I don't see the value associated with that parameter change in the file in response to changing the Touchpad Mode via the FlSynClient gui. There are 3 available settings in the gui: ON, Off, Tap Off. It's the latter that I'm trying to make sticky.

-Steve D

Valinote

#9 Post by Valinote »

Ok. More info. If I set Touchpad Mode in the FlSynClient gui to Tap Off (that's what I want) and hit Save, the value for the TouchpadOff parameter in the .flSynclient file is 2. If I then change Touchpad Mode to ON and hit Save, then TouchpadOff changes to 0. Ah ha! Maybe I'm on to something. So you would think setting that value to 2 in the file would save my problem. But every time I reboot, even with TouchpadOff set to 2 in .flSynclient, the touchpad comes up with tap turned ON, and that is reflected in the gui; so I still have to change it manually. Could it be getting the powerup default value from another file?

-Steve D

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

What does the /etc/X11/xorg.conf look like ? I am guessing some input sections about keyboard,mouse,touchpad may be found there . Actually for example I had difficulties with the pointer of an usb mouse trying mouse protocol "Microsoft" , which is standard for old serial port mice , but for ps2/usb it must be "IMPS2" in my case . The documentation seems to be poor for it . I found "PS2,IMPS2,EXPS2,INTELLI" .
`grep` ing "-i touchpad" in xorg-server-1.7.7 source by debian throws out very little and most is in patches . The kernel driver "evdev" is mentioned there .

You can also try `modprobe -l | grep - E -i 'input|alp|syn|ps'` for a overview of available kernel drivers .
If you modprobe or change anything in files , X really has to be restarted .

Valinote

#11 Post by Valinote »

Good tip, Karl! That was it!!

I found some abridged configuration of the touchpanel in the xorg.conf file. Just some of the main parameters to get it up and running I guess. The value I was looking for wasn't one of them, but I just added a line...

Option "TouchpadOff" "2"

and now the laptop boots up as desired, with the touchpad tap feature turned off.

Thanks so much for your suggestion... 8)

-Steve D