29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

greengeek

Which 214x do I have??

#4281 Post by greengeek »

Hi, sorry if this query seems out of sync;

I have loaded puppy from a CD labelled "214x Top3" and have some bugs, so checked this forum. When I check the first entry of this forum it lists "Top 7" so I'm thinking that "Top 3" may probably be too old to ask for help with...

However - I also think that maybe "Top 7" may be suited to newer hardware, and so may be unsuitable for my old 1Ghz machine.

Anyway, my first question is "how do I confirm exactly which version of 214x I am running?" (because I actually cannot see a "Top 3" in the first post)

My second question is "should I stop working with my current version and go straight to the Top 7 variety?"

If there is still value in sticking with Top 3 (because it is nice and quick on my old hardware) then my third question is "Why can't I mount or play an audio cd when I have no problem mounting a data cd?"

Thanks in advance if anyone has time for a reply ( I searched for clues but without success, and figured it was best to ask straight up if Top 7 was the best way to go.)

Thanks!

greengeek

No recent dates against first post?

#4282 Post by greengeek »

...also, when you look at the first post in the this forum it shows a date of Mon, 18 May 2009

But surely that post must be newer than that.

Maybe it would be helpful if each of the sections of that post (Top 5, Top 6, Top 7 etc) had an accurate date against them so it was easy to know when each was updated?

Or am I missing something? Is each release valid for some reason that is unconnected to the release date? Is each release appropriate for different reasons somehow, regardless of release date?

James C

Re: No recent dates against first post?

#4283 Post by James C »

greengeek wrote:...also, when you look at the first post in the this forum it shows a date of Mon, 18 May 2009

But surely that post must be newer than that.
Nope,that's the correct date.This is probably the most tested Puppy ever. :) However, if you'd noticed at the bottom of the post....

Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sun 27 Mar 2011, 09:37; edited 79 times in total

.........which is when Top 7 was released.

The idea is to use the latest release since it has all the bug fixes and newest apps....... these are testing releases after all.
Top 7 should run just as fast as any earlier version, I just reinstall with every new release and run it some every day.

I've got Top 7 on a different box so I'll boot it later and check out playing an audio cd.
HTH.

James C

Re: Which 214x do I have??

#4284 Post by James C »

greengeek wrote: my third question is "Why can't I mount or play an audio cd when I have no problem mounting a data cd?"
!
Pretty sure you can't mount audio cd's because they have no file system.But, I'm in Top 7 listening to a cd so..... :)
Insert cd.Opened Gxine,click "file" then "cd" and you should get music.Not sure about older versions but Top 7 has xfreeCD......just opened it and cd automatically started playing.
HTH.

I'm running Top 7 on an old 733 mhz P3 w/ 256 mb ram ......it;s fast and it works.

greengeek

214x Top3 audio CD mounting

#4285 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the reply James.

I tried mounting an audio cd because I was unable to get it to play at all (even using the same sort of method you have suggested) and figured I must need to mount. I guess that is not required for audio cds.

Still cant get it to play so maybe it's a bug. I will have a bash with Top 7 and see if that solves it.

cheers

greengeek

Which 214x do I have??

#4286 Post by greengeek »

...also, did you have any idea how I can confirm exactly which version of 214x puppy I am running with once it is installed? Couldn't find a "system" tab or the like. (I'm assuming I made a typo when I wrote on the iso CD I burnt when I first downloaded 214x)

greengeek

Audio CD playing difficulties

#4287 Post by greengeek »

Seems like some of my CD playing probs are just inexperience. I realise now that clicking on the desktop CD icon does not open the Audio CD - just gives an error because they should not be forced to mount.

Now I'm running Top 7 I do not see an icon on the desktop for the optical drive at all (I do with pup431). Don't know if this is "normal" or not. Some of these problems I am having (particularly with Top3 and other live distros I am trialling) seem to be similar to what other people describe when they use an audio CD in a DVD drive - which is what I'm doing.

At the moment, on Top7 if I open Beep media player it does not show any optical device in the "places" pane, and there seems to be no way to get it to look at the CD.

Gxine does allow me to play the audio tracks.

Also have a problem connecting to the dhcp router from my sis900 network card. Just doesn't seem to pick up an IP so can't get on the internet. No probs with Puppy 431.

Just noting this in case anyone else sees something similar.

greengeek

Audio CD playing difficulties

#4288 Post by greengeek »

Seems like some of my CD playing probs are just inexperience. I realise now that clicking on the desktop CD icon does not open the Audio CD - just gives an error because they should not be forced to mount.

Now I'm running Top 7 I do not see an icon on the desktop for the optical drive at all (I do with pup431). Don't know if this is "normal" or not. Some of these problems I am having (particularly with Top3 and other live distros I am trialling) seem to be similar to what other people describe when they use an audio CD in a DVD drive - which is what I'm doing.

At the moment, on Top7 if I open Beep media player it does not show any optical device in the "places" pane, and there seems to be no way to get it to look at the CD.

Gxine does allow me to play the audio tracks.

Also have a problem connecting to the dhcp router from my sis900 network card. Just doesn't seem to pick up an IP so can't get on the internet. No probs with Puppy 431.

Just noting this in case anyone else sees something similar.

darkstrike

#4289 Post by darkstrike »

Hey folks, quick question!

I used to have 2.14x RC5 on my old beast, but recently formatted to try Wary.....long story short it was a fiasco, so now I am back and have just installed 2.14x Top7 on it.

My problem is this....remember that SuperSwitcher issue where we couldn't type because of a glitch with Superswitcher? I'm having an issue somewhere along those lines....I can't type at all at the moment other than a few keys because of an odd glitch with key commands. No matter what I have open, pushing the left or right arrow switches to the next workspace over, hitting "p" opens the 2.14x Control Panel, etc....I am at a loss as to what is causing the problem because there is nothing wrong with the keyboard and I am not actually pushing Alt, Control, Shift, or anything. (EDIT: Also, they keyboard literally has no Windows key.)

Suggestions? :)

l2ulinux

Hey folks, quick question!

#4290 Post by l2ulinux »

I had the same problem with 214x-Top6.2. I ask if there was a hot key program running that needed to be disabled. Are maybe I needed to download a new copy. I downloaded the new version and still have the same problem.

darkstrike

#4291 Post by darkstrike »

Well...at least it's not me. Anybody else have the same problem or come up with a solution?

clarf

#4292 Post by clarf »

darkstrike wrote:Well...at least it's not me. Anybody else have the same problem or come up with a solution?
Hi, This error have been already reported.

The real problem was identified in previous versions and discussed here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=3994
MindHundHettePerro already provided a workaround for this problem here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=4024
ttuuxxx provided a pet that Fully removes the bindkeys shortcuts here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=4023

A future 2.14x Top version should contain these fixes.

Greetings,
clarf

l2ulinux

Classic Pup 2.14X-Top7

#4293 Post by l2ulinux »

I tried Top-7 on a system I built for internet TV watching using Win-7. It works great on this system just by the Live-CD. Can use the keyboard, great sound and fair video on the internet on USA and TNT.

Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory : 2066MB (222MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.21
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 20 Apr 2011 01:26:54 PM PUP
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : (null)
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
HID 1241:1166
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WL640GSA1672
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40

Thanks for the great work.

Just wish I could get to work on AMD system with Nvida card.

Aitch

#4294 Post by Aitch »

l2ulinux wrote:Just wish I could get to work on AMD system with Nvida card.
Shouldn't be a problem...
Need the PC/mobo make/model number, processor model/speed and full details of the Nvidia card, as there's LOADS of different models/drivers

Aitch :)

cbs

Wireless not detected

#4295 Post by cbs »

I am using a Sony Vaio PCG-691P notebook (1.73MHz, 1.5GB RAM) and have several versions of Puppy Linux installed frugal.
Most versions of Puppy Linux - Wary, Quirky and Lupu - would be able to detect the wireless interface and install module ipw2100 INTEL(r) PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Driver.
However, 214x Top7 does not detect the presence of a wireless network interface.
I have installed the 214xtop7-Wireless-fix-01.pet but still not change.
I have manually tried to load the ipw2100 module but get a message that the module cannot be loaded.
Appreciate any help I can get.

maik.murks

#4296 Post by maik.murks »

Hi ttuuxxx.

First of all, I like to thank you for making your 2.14X series featuring the old Beetle on the beach.

Moreover, I like to tell you that I‘ve borrowed one of your Beetles and have driven it to another place. I hope, this is ok for you.

Since it was the first time that I‘m driving a virtual Beetle, I didn‘t take your newest one of course, this time. I hope that is ok for you, too.

By the way, I‘ve seen a small dot on the hood of the Beetle. And while I haven‘t got any water with me to clean it, I just put a small sticker onto the dot.

After putting some things into the Beetle, I drove away.

Driving a Beetle makes much fun - but the reverse gear is a little bit difficult to find.

So, if you like to know, where the Beetle is parking at the moment, please take a look here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67939

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

ttuuxxx

Re: Wireless not detected

#4297 Post by ttuuxxx »

cbs wrote:I am using a Sony Vaio PCG-691P notebook (1.73MHz, 1.5GB RAM) and have several versions of Puppy Linux installed frugal.
Most versions of Puppy Linux - Wary, Quirky and Lupu - would be able to detect the wireless interface and install module ipw2100 INTEL(r) PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Driver.
However, 214x Top7 does not detect the presence of a wireless network interface.
I have installed the 214xtop7-Wireless-fix-01.pet but still not change.
I have manually tried to load the ipw2100 module but get a message that the module cannot be loaded.
Appreciate any help I can get.
Hi you might want to install these 2 packages I just compiled an see if that works :)
I'm no expert when it comes to wireless but I do compile/fix/upgrade a lot of stuff. lol
ttuuxx

open a terminal and type modprobe ipw2100
Attachments
ipw2100-1.2.2-i386.pet
(49.01 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Wed 18 May 2011, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

Re: Classic Pup 2.14X-Top7

#4298 Post by ttuuxxx »

l2ulinux wrote: Just wish I could get to work on AMD system with Nvida card.
which NV driver does it usually use for other puppy versions? I usually use vesa driver fo my nv card.
just look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf open it as text and around line 139 it should look like
139 Driver "vesa" #card0driver
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#4299 Post by ttuuxxx »

Here's a updated Nvidia driver all the way upto jan2008 :) not bad for this really old Xorg Server, the newer ones don't work/compile.

Here's the supported card list
nv
is an Xorg driver for NVIDIA video cards. The driver supports 2D
acceleration and provides support for the following framebuffer depths:
8, 15, 16 (except Riva128) and 24. All
visual types are supported for depth 8, TrueColor and DirectColor
visuals are supported for the other depths with the exception of
the Riva128 which only supports TrueColor in the higher depths.

.SH SUPPORTED HARDWARE
The
.B nv
driver supports PCI, PCI-Express and AGP video cards based on the following NVIDIA chips:
.TP 22
.B RIVA 128
NV3
.TP 22
.B RIVA TNT
NV4
.TP 22
.B RIVA TNT2
NV5
.TP 22
.B GeForce 256, QUADRO
NV10
.TP 22
.B GeForce2, QUADRO2
NV11 & NV15
.TP 22
.B GeForce3, QUADRO DCC
NV20
.TP 22
.B nForce, nForce2
NV1A, NV1F
.TP 22
.B GeForce4, QUADRO4
NV17, NV18, NV25, NV28
.TP 22
.B GeForce FX, QUADRO FX
NV30, NV31, NV34, NV35, NV36, NV37, NV38
.TP 22
.B GeForce 6XXX
NV40, NV41, NV43, NV44, NV45, C51
.TP 22
.B GeForce 7XXX
G70, G71, G72, G73
.de G8
.TP 22
.B GeForce 8XXX
G80, G84, G86, G92
.if 1 .G8
ttuuxxx
Attachments
xf86-video-nv-2.0.3-i386.pet
(65.58 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
xf86-video-nv_DEV-2.0.3-i386.pet
(847 Bytes) Downloaded 299 times

ttuuxxx

#4300 Post by ttuuxxx »

There's one thing about the new NV driver, The fonts are somewhat blurry compared to Vesa. when using Firefox or any X app, any ideas where to set them?
ttuuxxx