spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#701 Post by 01micko »

LinuxUser531700, acpi=off turns off acpi in the kernel. Acpi is better explained here. You would likely have had the same problem with 099. I don't know why but some hardware requires this with some kernels, not all. Possibly a kernel bug.

This quote from Ubuntu documentation gives a simpler explanation:
This parameter disables the whole ACPI system. This may prove very useful, for example, if your computer does not support ACPI or if you think the ACPI implementation might cause some problems (for instance random reboots or system lockups).
Billtoo.. certainly weird that wallsetter issue. I know it was buggy in quirky awhile back but I thought Barry fixed it, strange I can't break it and we have been using it since 051. Maybe something got corrupted in /root/.config?

Dave S. This is caused if you had an sfs loaded. Did you at the time? I tried to reproduce but I made sure I had all the sfs unloaded, perhaps it's a conflict with shinobars sfs_load. Did you use that? If so I'l report to shino.

nooby.. I guess you tried xorgwizard to get the resolution? Are you using Vesa? If so it probably wont work.
I like Seamonkey :D (plus, firefox 4, Chromium, Iron and Opera are in PPM). Anyway, some browser is absolutely necessary to setup CUPS printing and show help pages. I don't like the midori/dillo combination in Lupu plus security libs (nss, nspr) need to be added separately. You end up with about 3 meg saving on the iso and 2 shitty browsers! Oh, and you need an email proggy too. So it's not just that I like Seamonkey, but it has security and practicality in mind.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#702 Post by 01micko »

News Flash

I have made a new spup-100BABY.iso 101M, also has a zdrv, see main post

nooby

#703 Post by nooby »

Edit first things first

Are you using Vesa? Yes but No not now. I had to on the other OS that I thought was Spup. Some glitch in my head mixed them up sorry. Spup worked well with xorg chosen resolution but somehting in the script sense that the internal screen is 600 and then despite it is chosen to desplay 768 it still stubbornly only give 600 resolution

1024 x 600 when I tell it to do 1024 x 768 as it should have.

Thanks for a friendly smile. Very convincing text you give here.

I buy it and give tips too. Very true indeed.
nooby.. I guess you tried xorgwizard to get the resolution? Are you using Vesa? If so it probably wont work.
I like Seamonkey Very Happy (plus, firefox 4, Chromium, Iron and Opera are in PPM). Anyway, some browser is absolutely necessary to setup CUPS printing and show help pages. I don't like the midori/dillo combination in Lupu plus security libs (nss, nspr) need to be added separately. You end up with about 3 meg saving on the iso and 2 shitty browsers! Oh, and you need an email proggy too. So it's not just that I like Seamonkey, but it has security and practicality in mind.
Right on! So the solution for me and many others who just feel sick in our stomach seeing SeaMonkey that we just pretend that it is Midori or Dillo and we are used to deal with them same way to just ignore them go on to install Firefox 3.6.16 or FF 4.0

But then this happens. SeaMonkey has already installed .mozilla so that complicates things.

Let me try to explain.

I want to use Seaside's SFS-Exec-Dir and that works but I also want to symlink to a .mozilla that I have on mnt/home that is based on Firefox 3.6.16 that I moved there some days ago.

But if SeaMonkey is alread installed from scratch in the Puppy OS then it seems to not allow FF to start up using the SFS-Exec?

Okay I should test again. Now when I don't have all the safe things added to the kernel line maybe it works as intended?

But still how do I get the 1024 x 768 because I dont' accept to have x 600 as it is now.

I remember on one OS I could install Icewm instead and that one show the 1024 x 768 that OS. Would that work on SPUP too.

I would need Icewm for this kernel then?
Last edited by nooby on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#704 Post by 01micko »

nooby.. just delete the /root/.mozilla, no harm will come, then symlink your firefox one. :wink:

cowboy has used icewm, I don't know which package though, try jemimah's I guess, it's in the software area.

DaveS

#705 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
Dave S. This is caused if you had an sfs loaded. Did you at the time? I tried to reproduce but I made sure I had all the sfs unloaded, perhaps it's a conflict with shinobars sfs_load. Did you use that? If so I'l report to shino.
No, no sfs loaded, just a clean boot without a save file. I think it might be something to do with my Mint install which is set to use sda3 as /home
Maybe it labeled the partition and puppy picked that up.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#706 Post by Béèm »

Nooby, I have FF and Opera as extra installed on my machine.
In spite SeaMonkey is installed as a base, I can run them without problems.
In other words, SeaMonkey is not preventing this.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#707 Post by 01micko »

looks like a case of the squeaky wheel gets the oil :wink: :wink:

nooby, this Icewm works :) http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -lucid.pet

Exit from X and type "xwin icewm" at the prompt.
Attachments
icewm.png
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 1303 times

nooby

#708 Post by nooby »

Nooby the Squeeeeeky wheel to your service. :)

Jay! Cool that just worked as you described. Big friendly smile now I write from within Spup-100 using my old .mozilla on the mnt/home and SFS-Exec loading a FF3.6.sfs and it remember almost everything.
And the picutes due to install of the Icewm are now in 1024 x 768 so very good indeed.

Love it. This Nooby Squeeking wheel got oiled to his satisfaction.

Beem, thanks for encouraging words. Yes Opera worked well last time I tested it.

Now due to Micko I get FF 3.6.16 and writing from it now. Jay!
Beem while I have your attention.

Your set up seems to require that one have on partition for each puppy?

I love the symlink to apps placed outside pupsave and I have that for FF but I wish there existed an easy to follow description or script that worked for newbies.
Last edited by nooby on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#709 Post by 01micko »

There you go! :)

Billtoo

#710 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:
Billtoo.. certainly weird that wallsetter issue. I know it was buggy in quirky awhile back but I thought Barry fixed it, strange I can't break it and we have been using it since 051. Maybe something got corrupted in /root/.config?

I've got two spup installs where pwallpaper doesn't work, one is a usb
flash drive and the other is a sdhc card.
I have another spup install on a hard disk where pwallpaper does work,
could the problem be with the speed of flash/sdhc vs a hard disk?

sszindian

Spup-100

#711 Post by sszindian »

Seems we have the same problem with Iron Browser and Spup-100 (just like Spup-099). I tried every version of Iron 6-7-8-9 and same error message. Tried each with (and without) the dependencies on page-1 of this tread.

Also had a problem with wallpaper changer 'eating' my background graphics when updated to 100. Had same problem in 099 but changed the background graphic-name I wanted to 'default' and that seemed to correct thye problem.

Other than that, all seems to be working OK so far!

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
ironerror.jpg
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 1179 times

stu90

#712 Post by stu90 »

Just got round to installing spup-100.

Took a bit of fiddling about but managed to get every thing set up the way i like it 8)

sbox :D

cheers.

Billtoo

spup-100 built from latest woof

#713 Post by Billtoo »

I did a frugal install of spup 1.0.0

Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1813MB (153MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.10
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 19 Apr 2011 11:05:56 AM EDT
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI R300 (RS690 791F) 20090101 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 NO-TCL DRI2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
PIXART USB OPTICAL MOUSE
Power Button
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
Crystal Eye webcam
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad

# glxgears
487 frames in 5.1 seconds = 96.415 FPS
383 frames in 5.0 seconds = 76.196 FPS
578 frames in 5.0 seconds = 115.304 FPS
285 frames in 6.3 seconds = 45.556 FPS
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slack Puppy, version 100

Chip description:
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS690 01.00

Driver used by Xorg:
radeon

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

Pwallpaper works on this one,older broadcom wireless detected,sound
okay.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
Attachments
image-5.jpg
(16.4 KiB) Downloaded 1359 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#714 Post by Béèm »

Nooby,
I have two partitions. A ntfs one with XP and a FAT one.
Puppy files are in directories.
I use the Lin'N'Win method, which provides a kinda grub, but not written to the MBR.
The menu.lst takes care of finding the different puppy's to boot from.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nooby

#715 Post by nooby »

Beem then I apology. I thought I read somewhere you did mention one partition for each Linux? Maybe you wrote one subdir or each and my confusing brain changed that to partition. Okay then so much better. I would love you described that so a newbie could replicated it it is so handy to be able to place programs like Firefox on the mnt/home and reuse them in next and next puppy without starting all over each time.

Re the SRware Iron error. Hey I did get such too but there was a way to still get it to work but now I don't remember anymore.

I have Iron on Lupu 513 which has Pemasu's SnowPup 5 and that one work with a Iron that mikeslr downloaded from their site and he made a small pet for the loading of the tar.gz thing that one put in a dir.

Have you tested that one? I don't remember which other puppie it works on. Is Spup-100 that different from 513?

cowboy

#716 Post by cowboy »

01micko wrote:
nooby, this Icewm works :) http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -lucid.pet
micko, also can confirm that icewm pet works. I've also used the version (at least in 099) that is in the pet packages 5 directory that was designed for Lucid 5.1.1 without issue.

On Seamonkey - there are positives and negatives to including a browser with the distro, I realize. I also realize that this is kind of a thang here on the forum. However, as you point out, a browser is needed for some of the initial setup, etc, and if a browser has to be included...well, include a full browser. Many of the lightweight versions like Dillo and Midori are admirable, but all of them are somewhat unsuitable for browsing the net. Including Seamonkey gets you a workable, usable browser, and a solid email client as well. And, any user can then add their preferred browser or email client as the default, be it Chrome or Firefox or Opera, or T-bird or Sylpheed. But the user that decides to stick with the distro as is, at least has a secure and functional web browser in Seamonkey. Plus, long term, Seamonkey has enough heavy duty geeks on its side to assure that the browser and mail client are always secure and up to date. That is a very big thing.

My dos centavos, useless as always.
Last edited by cowboy on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

cowboy

spup desktop

#717 Post by cowboy »

[quote="01micko"
cowboy.. well the "rerwin fix" didn't help eh? Maybe I got the wrong one? Can you do a cross check from lupu to spup of the file /etc/udev/rules.d/00-i915_modeset0.rules and make sure it's the same please? .[/quote]

01micko, I found the i915 file in Spup, but it does not exist in Lupu. Here is a shot of /rules.d in Lupu 5.2. Please tell me anything further you might need, or if I'm looking at something incorrectly here please. Thank you.
Attachments
desktopcheck.png
(68.15 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

nooby

#718 Post by nooby »

Which puppies need the i915.modeset=1 thang then?

Some say it is already built in and others say one should have it. Being as non-structed as I am I have no clue on such. Are there some test one can do that indicate that it is a good thing to have in Spup? I have a small Netbook Acer D250.

sszindian

Iron Browser

#719 Post by sszindian »

Just to be sure (one more time) I fress installed Iron-9 from the PPM. Other versions from 6 thru 8 at least gave me the 'Awh Snap' screen but with Iron 9, nothing, did not even attempt to run.

While just sitting in dismay in front of my monitor, I noticed something I never took note of before... my CPU gauge was 'full top' to the point where I almost thought I saw smoke coming out of my monitor and it stayed there. I deleted Iron-9 from the system through PPM, went back to desktop, still CPU was 'full top' and staying there. I shut down with a reboot... CPU was running as cool as a cucumber! Thats a mystery, Iron is doing something it shouldn't.... at least on my machine. It's funny, all Puppys from 511 up through 525 have never had a problem with an Iron browser (any version) is it possible I wonder if it is something with Slackware my system doesn't like???

Writing this with Spup-100 and Seamonkey but, IRON is still my perferred browser.

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

#720 Post by rcrsn51 »

Spup-100 is suffering from the same problem as Lupu-525. If you boot off a flash drive with no internal hard drive, you get "Searching deeper .. spup_100.sfs not found".

I'm betting that the latest Wary does the same thing.

[Edit] It does.