Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 13:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 99 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2011, 23:35    Post subject:  

Bootflash did the same thing to me. Seems you are right about a problem.
Did what you said it did to you.
RandSec

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 00:15    Post subject: Problem Playing Music CD on 5.2.5  

While running 5.2.5 loaded from LiveDVD, I wanted to listen to a simple music CD. All-in-all, 3 different players failed: Gnome, Pmusic and pCD. By "failed" I mean they locked up tight and had to be killed. This happened multiple times, with no sound produced. This system routinely plays videos with good sound. After considerable disbelief and confusion, I eventually downloaded and installed VLC, which worked fine the first time. Perhaps someone can clarify the issue for me. Thanks!
James C

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 01:03    Post subject: Re: Problem Playing Music CD on 5.2.5  

RandSec wrote:
While running 5.2.5 loaded from LiveDVD, I wanted to listen to a simple music CD. All-in-all, 3 different players failed: Gnome, Pmusic and pCD. By "failed" I mean they locked up tight and had to be killed. This happened multiple times, with no sound produced. This system routinely plays videos with good sound. After considerable disbelief and confusion, I eventually downloaded and installed VLC, which worked fine the first time. Perhaps someone can clarify the issue for me. Thanks!

Testing as I'm posting.....put a Earth, Wind and Fire cd in the optical drive, the disc showed up as sr0. Clicked the icon and pCD started playing, no problem.

Pmusic.....working here too.

MPlayer.....works too, however won't change tracks.
All 3 play here and nothing locked up so.........I would normally suggest something corrupted in the install bur since you're running from DVD that's doubtful.Hopefully someone else will have a good idea or two.

Oh, I'm running a frugal install of 525.
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 03:47    Post subject: oh hal!  

I seem to have a problem Embarassed , i'm missing the hal deamon at /usr/sbin/hald, am I alone?

thanks
scsijon
Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 08:48    Post subject: Puppy installer  

Not sure if related to the comment "rcrsn51: Could someone please try doing a flash drive install with BootFlash? " As I do not know what bootflash is... However, yesterday I tried four times, on two different duel processor machines to build a STICK... using the universal installer. All seems to go well.. till I attempt to boot. Loading starts and then says it can not find...xxxx 525.sfs. Dropping to randisk console...

It is on the drive, I can see it. Has anyone else been able to build a stick with in 525. Earlier versions worked. I will see if I can find or try again with earlier versions. I even cleaned and reformatted the stick to ext3 with Gparted. Still same problem. Did I answer a question wrong?
Thanks.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 09:43    Post subject: Re: Puppy installer  

Minnesota wrote:
As I do not know what bootflash is...

BootFlash is on the same menu as the Puppy Universal Installer. It is the alternate tool for doing flash drive installs.

I tried the Universal Installer several ways (vfat, ext, etc) and it worked correctly every time.

When you boot your flash drive, does the line
Code:
Loading drivers needed to access disk drives...

show some red dots?
Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 10:00    Post subject: Boot stick  

Yes, then crunches a bit,
Next msg, shows Searching for Puppy Files in computer Disk Drives..

THEN
Pink: Searching deeper, sub-sub-folders in partitions... RED: lupu_525.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console....

#

I am attempting to boot from the stick.. NO HARD drives... Nothing in the CD drive....

AH.... PROBLEM IS LACK OF a hard disk... Just slid in a hard drive...and it is booting fine.... so that is the problem... try a boot without any hard drive!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 10:35    Post subject: Re: Boot stick  

Minnesota wrote:
PROBLEM IS LACK OF a hard disk... Just slid in a hard drive...and it is booting fine.... so that is the problem...

This business with the red dots first appeared in Wary and has now filtered into other Puppies via Woof. I'm pretty sure that previous Puppies have been able to boot off flash drives with no hard drive present.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:10    Post subject:  

I can confirm Minnesota's bug. I disconnected the hard drive from a machine and booted off a valid Lupu 525 flash drive. I got the red dots, followed by "lupu_525.sfs not found".

I then booted off a Quirky 1.1 flash drive. It worked fine.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:23; edited 1 time in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:11    Post subject: Re: Boot stick  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Minnesota wrote:
PROBLEM IS LACK OF a hard disk... Just slid in a hard drive...and it is booting fine.... so that is the problem...

This business with the red dots first appeared in Wary and has now filtered into other Puppies via Woof. I'm pretty sure that previous Puppies have been able to boot off flash drives with no hard drive present.

Info on what are red dots about?
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02001
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:20    Post subject:  

Ever since this "feature" appeared, there have been complaints that it has a negative side-effect on some USB devices. However in this situation, the problem may be with the extra searching that is going on.
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:26    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Ever since this "feature" appeared, there have been complaints that it has a negative side-effect on some USB devices. However in this situation, the problem may be with the extra searching that is going on.

Any version of Wary after 098 is unusable for me, probably because
of this woof modification.
It causes extended modules loading count and a cursor freeze
when using usb mouse.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:43    Post subject:  

Regarding the unrelated issue of BootFlash failing because of syslinux: the attached PET appears to solve that problem.
syslinux_patch-525.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  syslinux_patch-525.pet 
Filesize  1.17 KB 
Downloaded  415 Time(s) 
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 12:52    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Regarding the unrelated issue of BootFlash failing because of syslinux: the attached PET appears to solve that problem.

Confirm, this fixed Bootflash for me.
Thanks for the fix!
RandSec

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 16:26    Post subject: Re: Problem Playing Music CD on 5.2.5  

James C wrote:
Testing as I'm posting.....put a Earth, Wind and Fire cd in the optical drive, the disc showed up as sr0. Clicked the icon and pCD started playing, no problem.

OK, that is how it is supposed to work!

My 3 systems have very similar hardware, and a very similar applications install (before some individual configs). They are all 5.2.5 Live Mulitsession DVD's, and 2 of them have no hard drive. From main DVD PPM we see:
* Xorg_High
* Firefox 3.6.13 (upgraded to 3.6.16)
* Skype 2.1.0
* fontwizard

Perhaps the problem is in something I installed which others did not. So, starting from scratch:
1) The raw ISO plays the music CD.
2) After being personalized for US/Central timezone, still plays.
3) With Xorg_High installed, still plays.
4) With Firefox 3.6.13 (-> 3.6.16) installed, still plays.
5) With Skype 2.1.0, still plays.
6) With fontwizard, still plays.

However, somewhere around (5) I lost the CD icon from the desktop. The icon remained as the drawer was opened, then disappeared when the drawer was closed. I did not know how to recover the icon, so after that I started pCD from the Multimedia > Media Tools selection.

So far no joy, so back to the main system, insert audio CD, click icon, no sound. But as I sat pondering my next move, the music suddenly started up. The delay was about 30 seconds, a suspicious value, and more than long enough to start an experienced user like me clicking on various things to get something to happen, a particularly bad approach here.

On the other configured system, insert audio CD, click on icon, wait, wait, wait, then sound. OK, let us try another selection, so double-click on it. Uh-oh, it shows the next one down, so select the correct one again and double-click. Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, for something like 60 seconds. It appears to have to finish the first (wrong) command, after delay, before starting the next, after delay.

(There is something wrong about the way the song is selected in the pCD player, since even with the right track highlighted, the one BELOW that is played. So highlight a different track, then hit the Play button: The playing song line briefly flashes the correct selection, then CHANGES to the selection below that, which is wrong. Now we wait about 60 seconds before finally getting the wrong track playing.)

So, I do not see the issue from the raw ISO, even with my apps installed. The good system is, of course, in a different box, but all have the same sort of motherboard, processor, memory, etc. The systems having trouble do happen to both have Samsung writers (one system has a hard drive, one does not), while the working system (from clean ISO) has an LG writer.

OK, so take the main configured DVD, which had problems on the main system with Samsung writer, to the system with the LG writer. Now the player plays. Success (provided one has LG writers)!

So it looks like the Samsung writers (SH-S222A) are a Puppy issue. Downloading, installing and using VLC on the main system (having Samsung writer) plays the CD immediately, with no delay or problem. So that is my fix.
Page 99 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: